PDA

View Full Version : Maildrops or Wingit?

Seldomseen
10-09-2012, 17:43
I plan to do this hike next June, I know it will be hot but that is the only time I can get that much time off. Also I figure I will carry a very light pack. Is there a need for maildrops or can you just get by on resupplying in the towns along the way? I have done the AT twice and the second time around I did not use maildrops. Thoughts?

Don H
10-09-2012, 17:51
Wing it. There's a good resupply article by Baltimore Jack on this site (Homepage, articles)
Search "resupply" or "Mail Drops" for more info. There's a ton of info on here about it.

BFI
10-09-2012, 18:08
Wing it, there are lots of resupply towns and stores. Several hikers I hiked with had to wait for the post offices ot open and more thatn often yu will arrive on a Sunday and have to wait until Monday to get your goods. This usually equates to more $$$ being spent in the town while waiting. Have a good hike and enjoy every day.

bigcranky
10-09-2012, 18:30
The OP is asking about the Benton MacKaye Trail, not the AT. Potentially a whole different animal. SGT Rock would be the guy to talk to.

Seldomseen
10-09-2012, 18:36
Yes, Great article from B Jack about maildrops, but I am looking for specific info on the BMT. I will eat almost anything and I like the idea of not dealing with maildrops (just heading out on a walk). I guess what I am asking is about the stores found along the BMT. Will someone that is not picky be able to resupply on the BMT? Are the hitches to stores as easy as they are on the AT?

10-K
10-09-2012, 18:40
You can wing it but a few strategically placed drops would be very convenient. To get into towns you'd have to do some hitchhiking and the BMT isn't like the AT where locals are used to seeing hikers and hikers hitchhiking. I was trying to hitch a ride and after waiting 45 or so minutes and not getting a ride a patrol car pulled up and I got quizzed for about 10 minutes.

I sent 4 drops.

1. Cherrylog PO
2. Webb Bros
3. Green Cove Motel
4. Motorcycle Motel at Deal Gap.

SGT Rock
10-09-2012, 18:56
It could be done without a drop, but it might not be easy.

The first place is Blue ridge - you probably won't get a hitch into town even though a thousand cars will pass you in the 4 miles it takes to get to the store in town.

Next, you would want to re-supply in Ducktown which is about 7.5 from the trail. You might be able to call the hotel in town and get a ride into town if you are staying there. The grocery is next to the hotel. This is the area you are most likely to get a lot of questions from the law though. They just don't seem to get hikers much.

Past that you could buy some stuff in Reliance at Webb and/or Reliance Fly and Tackle. If you do a big resupply in Ducktown you won't need anything here. From this point you could mail yourself something north to the Tellico Plains area which would be about where you need your next supply point.

At Tellico River Road you can send a package to Green Cove Motel which is about 1.5 miles from the trail or you may get the caretaker for the Fish Hatchery which is right on the trail to hold a box. IF you don't do that, then it is about 22 miles into Tellico Plains and good luck getting a hitch with that one. Rick and Brenda Harris may be in town and be available to give you a lift into Tellico Plains, but you cannot always count on them being available.

From Tellico Plains you are going to likely need a resupply before going into the Smokies. At that point you can get over to Fontana Village and get a decent resupply. Getting there will be the hard part, but most people either find a ride from Deals Gap to Fontana, or hike up the BMT and then back down the AT from Sassafras Gap to Fontana Dam and get the shuttle into the Village and back. Then they either go back up the AT to Sassafras Gap or take the Lakeshore trail from there to connect back into the BMT at Proctor.

The next to last place you may need to stop, depending on how you go, would be Cherokee. In June it is usually fairly easy to get in and out to get a supply to take you to the end.

10-K
10-09-2012, 19:06
In June I think a drop to the Motorcycle Motel is a no-brainer since you walk right by the place. Spend the night, take a shower, eat a few burgers - then hit the park first thing the next morning.

SGT Rock
10-09-2012, 19:25
In June I think a drop to the Motorcycle Motel is a no-brainer since you walk right by the place. Spend the night, take a shower, eat a few burgers - then hit the park first thing the next morning.
I agree with you. But if you are trying to go without drops then Fontana is probably your only option.

Seldomseen
10-09-2012, 19:26
Wow thanks for all that information! I guess I will do drops because I figured people in the towns do not see many hikers. Any good books you would suggest? A lot to think about here. Once again thanks for the info.

Seldomseen
10-09-2012, 19:28
If you planned on drops where at the easiest places. I would rather not rely on a PO just in case they are closed.

10-K
10-09-2012, 19:31
You want Sgt Rocks guide... bmtguide.com. Don't leave without it, seriously.

Three of the 4 places I listed above have better than PO hours. There is supposed to be a new hostel at Shallowford Bridge - Sgt. Rock would know about that.

Seldomseen
10-09-2012, 19:37
I will get that guide for sure. I cannot wait for the hike seems like it will be far less travelled than the AT. Probably a lot like the Foothills Trail was.

SGT Rock
10-09-2012, 19:40
Wow thanks for all that information! I guess I will do drops because I figured people in the towns do not see many hikers. Any good books you would suggest? A lot to think about here. Once again thanks for the info.My guide is the one I suggest, for obvious reasons LOL. I've got an article in it about how you might resupply on the trail as well as contact numbers for all these places and possible shuttles.

If you planned on drops where at the easiest places. I would rather not rely on a PO just in case they are closed.
The first place you are going to need a resupply is either Blue Ridge or Cherry Log, and you are probably going to end up using the PO in either place. Cherry Log is closer to the trail and only has one store/restaurant and a good barque joint. Blue Ridge has everything but an outfitter. Take your pick.

The next place is Ducktown, but you can shop there so I wouldn't do a drop. If you skip going into Ducktown you will want to mail a package to Webb Brothers or Reliance Fly and Tackle. Webb is right on the trail, but Reliance Fly and Tackle has better food, a shower, and beer. They also have a cheap campsite out back you could stay at while enjoying their services and they are only 0.6 off the BMT.

In the Tellico area you would probably want to just try getting the guy at the Fish Hatchery to hold a box for you since he is right on the trail and there a good bit of the time. Next to that would be Green Cove especially if you wanted to get a room and a shower. They have microwave food there and nothing else really.

Then I would call and get the Motorcycle Motel to hold a package. You can also get a shower there. They are funny, sometimes they will hold a package and sometimes not. If someone says no, call back later and try again. They do it for bikers all the time so they don't have to pack a lot of luggage when driving in.

So really you only NEED 1 drop, but more drops might be handy. I would check out the maps and read my town info in my guide and figure out what is going to work good for you.

SGT Rock
10-09-2012, 19:41
You want Sgt Rocks guide... bmtguide.com. Don't leave without it, seriously.

Three of the 4 places I listed above have better than PO hours. There is supposed to be a new hostel at Shallowford Bridge - Sgt. Rock would know about that.
Yep, forgot about that. And then there is the Watson Gap stor folks. If you did a drop to the Hostel and then to them, you could skip Blue Ridge/Cherry Log.

10-K
10-09-2012, 19:56
Speaking of which, I see you mailed my BMT Guide to Erwin today. :)

SGT Rock
10-09-2012, 21:12
I must have. My wife mailed out 3 of them today, she does all the book keeping and such for me since I am so disorganized. You going to do it again?

Seldomseen
10-09-2012, 21:18
Just checked out the book and it looks great! Would you carry the maps or anything else? OR would you just carry the guide book?

SGT Rock
10-09-2012, 21:30
I just carry the guidebook and some pocket profiles which are not a replacement for maps on the BMT. They are for having a quick reference that is waterproof and shows elevation profile and important mileage points. I do recommend which maps you should use: Trails Illustrated #777 for GA, Trails Illustrated #781 for TN/NC, and Trails Illustrated #229 for GSMNP. Postholer.com is also working a set of maps you can print yourself. I'm reviewing them now, but I'm neck deep in work so I haven't finished looking them over yet.

Odd Man Out
10-09-2012, 22:12
sorry, can't help you with the original question. I just though Wingit would be a cool trail name.

10-K
10-10-2012, 07:22
Regarding the maps, +1 on #777 and #781.

I found the $1 map of GSMNP you can get at 20 Mile ranger station when you enter the park to be more than enough.

Get a couple or be sure to keep the one you get dry... They're not waterproof.

Blissful
10-11-2012, 15:11
Looking forward to doing this next spring - hopefully... I never know until I am really out the door and on the trail! But I have hope..the Long Trail finally went off.

BTW Sgt Rock did a great job blogging on the BMT on my hiking blog (http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com/2012/03/sister-to-appalachian-trail-benton.html) if anyone wants some basic trail info.