PDA

View Full Version : Late Fall or Winter in central VA for 7-14 days

ednotmilkman
10-09-2012, 21:23
Pre-Script Oct 22 Looks like Atlas, Drybones and I, will start out about Jan 19 so we will be walking with the rising moon in case we need more light than the sun will give us. We are considering a Greyhound shuttle from Roanoke (Daleville) where I can leave a car with a cousin, back to the start point of the hike near Marion (Groseclose I-81) where I have an uncle for TH shuttle. Edwin

hi,

I enjoyed a Jan. hike last year from Erwin, TN to I-81 @ Groseclose, VA. So would love to do another section north of there anytime from Thanksgiving to Feb. I will NOT plan this trip NOR start out alone. I've had lots of experience with others who wanted to go hike, but weren't prepared or commited to follow through. So I need a partner or two , not a tag along, "if it works out", wanna-be. I will walk 10-18 miles per day in mild winter weather.

I bought a pair of micro-spikes and insulated Gore-tex boots which helped me last year down to 14 degrees but no more than 4" snow across Mt. Rogers NRA although my sleeping bag was just a bit cool ! My uncle lives in Marion so he's available to help shuttle most of the time. I will consider hiking other sections that I've already done, or even farther north than VA too if it works out that way.

Edwin

"Atlas"
10-14-2012, 12:40
I am in Virginia myself, I have the time and equipment and the desire to get in more hiking time this Fall or Winter. I haven't done any snow hiking, but I am from Buffalo so I am no stranger to snow. I have hike some of Virginia but would not mind covering old ground as well. I dont have a car to drive up to the Trail so I would need a pick up or time to catch a bus. January or Feb sounds great as I am busy in Nov and Dec.

Let me know what you are thinking.

evansprater
10-14-2012, 20:31
I will be in the area around that time. At Hiawassee, GA now and should be that far north by then. Message me!

Drybones
10-15-2012, 11:34
hi,

I enjoyed a Jan. hike last year from Erwin, TN to I-81 @ Groseclose, VA. So would love to do another section north of there anytime from Thanksgiving to Feb. I will NOT plan this trip NOR start out alone. I've had lots of experience with others who wanted to go hike, but weren't prepared or commited to follow through. So I need a partner or two , not a tag along, "if it works out", wanna-be. I will walk 10-18 miles per day in mild winter weather.

I bought a pair of micro-spikes and insulated Gore-tex boots which helped me last year down to 14 degrees but no more than 4" snow across Mt. Rogers NRA although my sleeping bag was just a bit cool ! My uncle lives in Marion so he's available to help shuttle most of the time. I will consider hiking other sections that I've already done, or even farther north than VA too if it works out that way.

Edwin

I have not discussed it with my wife yet but Ive been considering starting at Dennis Cove Road and spending about two weeks going north mid Nov.

ednotmilkman
10-16-2012, 00:00
Sorry that you can't go after Thanksgiving, DRYBONES. I could meet you at your house and then carpool in just one car. I wouldn't mind going north from Dennis Cove Rd again into VA if that was my best chance?

Atlas, we should continue to talk this out. I know Greyhound stops a few places along I-81 that should be easy for me to pick you up at.

Evansprater, post when you get to Hot Springs,NC and/or Erwin,TN to let us know how it's going.

Drybones
10-16-2012, 13:11
Sorry that you can't go after Thanksgiving, DRYBONES. I could meet you at your house and then carpool in just one car. I wouldn't mind going north from Dennis Cove Rd again into VA if that was my best chance?

Atlas, we should continue to talk this out. I know Greyhound stops a few places along I-81 that should be easy for me to pick you up at.

Evansprater, post when you get to Hot Springs,NC and/or Erwin,TN to let us know how it's going.

I'm not locked in to any specific start date...when did you have in mind to start?

ednotmilkman
10-17-2012, 15:19
hi drybones,

Atlas and I have discussed hiking together and we are both flexable on start time and place except he would rather wait until after the holidays are over - meaning Jan or Feb. I'm looking at starting at Groseclose/Atkins and walking as far as 180 trail miles to Daleville/Roanoke. I've got family in both Marion and Roanoke that would shuttle us from AT to Greyhound stations. Atlas will come all the way from eastern VA on the bus. I am thinking of driving my car to Roanoke, leave it at my cousin's house, then get on the bus with Atlas down to Marion where my uncle can shuttle us to the AT there.

If we don't make it to Daleville, Pearisburg is roughly half way for bail point as well as food drop or resupply. I have not studied the hikers companion guide yet for all the details of re-supply, distance between shelters, or private hostels and shuttles that may be open. I will try to avoid carrying my tent.

Atlas has not hiked Mt Rogers either, so if two of you would rather start at Damascus, I'll go along with it to keep everybody together. My uncle can shuttle us to or from Damascus also like he did for me last year.

Edwin

Drybones
10-17-2012, 22:00
hi drybones,

Atlas and I have discussed hiking together and we are both flexable on start time and place except he would rather wait until after the holidays are over - meaning Jan or Feb. I'm looking at starting at Groseclose/Atkins and walking as far as 180 trail miles to Daleville/Roanoke. I've got family in both Marion and Roanoke that would shuttle us from AT to Greyhound stations. Atlas will come all the way from eastern VA on the bus. I am thinking of driving my car to Roanoke, leave it at my cousin's house, then get on the bus with Atlas down to Marion where my uncle can shuttle us to the AT there.

If we don't make it to Daleville, Pearisburg is roughly half way for bail point as well as food drop or resupply. I have not studied the hikers companion guide yet for all the details of re-supply, distance between shelters, or private hostels and shuttles that may be open. I will try to avoid carrying my tent.

Atlas has not hiked Mt Rogers either, so if two of you would rather start at Damascus, I'll go along with it to keep everybody together. My uncle can shuttle us to or from Damascus also like he did for me last year.

Edwin

Sounds good. I'm game for whatever but Feb would probably have better weather. I'll send you a PM with my E-mail so we can communicate directly.