PDA

View Full Version : Help with trying new water filtration system

Many Moons
10-09-2012, 21:42
I used a MSR pump system on my 1st section hike this spring, it seemed to work there were a few problems. The little spring sponge tip that you float in your water source moved all around and had a hard time keeping it in the clean area of water source while I pumped water. The water tasted good, but pump would get real nasty after about 3 day use. I liked being able to stop and get water quick. It does have a little weight to it. Here's my questions? What other systems do the hikers here use? Does it weigh much? How long does it take to fill a water bottle? Hydration bladder? Couple cups for dinner meal? Hike On!!!

Miller

swjohnsey
10-09-2012, 21:53
I usually don't treat my water. As you can imagine, it is very quick.

Many Moons
10-09-2012, 22:16
I usually don't treat my water. As you can imagine, it is very quick.

That is Crazy? Not worried about getting sick? Hike On!!!

Miller

hikedit
10-09-2012, 23:24
I used to use platypus gravity works stripped down to about 9oz but for the last year have used nothing but aquamira drops

jakedatc
10-10-2012, 08:29
Sawyer squeeze.. many threads about it.

for the time being.. MSR pumps work better if you prime them before you attach to the bottle.. ie just pump water through without the bottle. also use the scrub pad provided and lightly brush the ceramic when the pump gets slow. (this is all in the manual)

peakbagger
10-10-2012, 09:54
The answer to asking if an how to treat water has been answered hundreds of times on this site. Use the search function and all will be revealed but be aware that there are many biased opinions.

By the way, I like it when a filter gets nasty after a few days use, its means its working. Just use the scrubby pad to clean off the surface.

Starchild
10-10-2012, 10:55
I use the the Steripen (5.5 or 3.6 oz depending on model which is based on battery type). I find it very easy to use about 90 sec cycle for bottle (about 60 for a 1/2), though really not to be used directly in the bladder - you really need some bottle for it to really work well. Small mouth bottles also can be challenging for the lighter model though I found the 5.5 oz one seems to work fine with them, just insert the pen so the rubber 'cone' of the Steripen's bulb support contacts the rim and turn the bottle upside down, the steripen rubber cone seals the bottle and allows one to do a proper cycle with moving the water around.

The ability to purify small mouth bottles easily and the availability of AA batteries, though they really need the Energizer Lithium ones which are also easy to find, but can use regular AA batteries in a pinch, and the 100+ purification cycles per battery change are the advantages of the 5.5 oz steripen.

The smaller size and less weight is the advantage of the 3.6 oz models with about 40-50 cycles per battery change but with harder to find CR-123 batteries.

With either no pumping over water, just grab the water and treat it when and where you want. Small water puddles can be challenging however to gather from, not impossible as you can always take a cloth to soak it up and squeeze it out if absolutely needed.

Also for dinner as you mentioned, boiling would be my method, no need to treat that water. I use a Jetboil Sol Ti which with a full fuel canister comes to 15.7 oz as packed and that would last me 4 days assuming 3 L of boiled water per day. I also have recently used boiling as my backup method when the Steripen batteries went flat and 2 other filters in the group failed all at the same time, chemical treatment was available but we didn't use it.

fredmugs
10-10-2012, 11:14
That is Crazy? Not worried about getting sick? Hike On!!!
Miller

I treat water only when it is from a still source or if I see vegetation in the bottom of the stream or there's a farm nearby. If the source is flowing I just dip in a bottle and chug. When I treat I use a Steripen Opti.

colorado_rob
10-10-2012, 11:54
Just got back from a 10-day "field test" of the Sawyer Squeeze system. Worked great for the 10 days, though it was running slow towards the end. About 10 liters a day (two of us), so right at about 100 liters before really needing to be back-flushed.

I really like this super-light system, but back-flushing is time consuming in the field with the little syringe thing. Very easy to do, however, at a kitchen sink using basically your sink faucet; just place the filter (backwards) up against the spigot with the water running and hold it all together for 3-5 minutes or so and voila, clean filter ready for another bunch of days. I figure on the AT this will work nicely, resupplying every week or so, cleaning the filter in town.

Using the fill-bag is sometimes slightly problematic; running water works fine, but filling it from still water (a lake) is difficult. I then "sacrifice" a gatorade bottle; fill that, pour into the squeeze bag, repeat, then filter from the bag. Of course this means the gatorade bag is then "dirty", but I just fill that one more time, drop a tablet into it for purification, then good to go.

Anyway, bottom line: +1 for the Sawyer Squeeze. ~5.7 total ounces including the filter (3oz), 2-liter fill bag (1 oz), syringe (1oz) and zip-lock to hold it all (0.7 oz). I know of nothing lighter that actually filters. My modus operandi requires filtering, simply because water tastes much better filtered. Steripens or chemical tratments mean lousy tasting water a good part of the time.

Yes, I realize that this discussion repeats other threads, but that's the nature of these forums. the same subject gets repeated all the time. Who wants to constantly search for topics?

jakedatc
10-10-2012, 12:13
Just got back from a 10-day "field test" of the Sawyer Squeeze system. Worked great for the 10 days, though it was running slow towards the end. About 10 liters a day (two of us), so right at about 100 liters before really needing to be back-flushed.

I really like this super-light system, but back-flushing is time consuming in the field with the little syringe thing. Very easy to do, however, at a kitchen sink using basically your sink faucet; just place the filter (backwards) up against the spigot with the water running and hold it all together for 3-5 minutes or so and voila, clean filter ready for another bunch of days. I figure on the AT this will work nicely, resupplying every week or so, cleaning the filter in town.

Using the fill-bag is sometimes slightly problematic; running water works fine, but filling it from still water (a lake) is difficult. I then "sacrifice" a gatorade bottle; fill that, pour into the squeeze bag, repeat, then filter from the bag. Of course this means the gatorade bag is then "dirty", but I just fill that one more time, drop a tablet into it for purification, then good to go.

Anyway, bottom line: +1 for the Sawyer Squeeze. ~5.7 total ounces including the filter (3oz), 2-liter fill bag (1 oz), syringe (1oz) and zip-lock to hold it all (0.7 oz). I know of nothing lighter that actually filters. My modus operandi requires filtering, simply because water tastes much better filtered. Steripens or chemical tratments mean lousy tasting water a good part of the time.

Yes, I realize that this discussion repeats other threads, but that's the nature of these forums. the same subject gets repeated all the time. Who wants to constantly search for topics?

Rob, cut the bottom off a small water bottle (or plastic peanut jar in my case) and use that for a scoop to fill the bag. weighs a few grams and you can always fill up the bags no matter if it is running or not.

not sure what took so much time to backflush. you suck up clean water from your water bottle and shoot it through the filter repeat 3 times and in under 5 mins you are good to go again.

also on Backpackinglight there is a great tips thread that someone has put a plastic coffee filter "disc" between the filter and the rubber washer on the dirty side to catch larger junk that helps keep the filter itself cleaner, longer.
http://adropofrain.net/images/sawyer-squeeze-mods-1/dscn4001.jpg

Starchild
10-10-2012, 12:15
... My modus operandi requires filtering, simply because water tastes much better filtered. Steripens or chemical tratments mean lousy tasting water a good part of the time...

Interesting as the reason I chose the steripen is because of taste preference, filterers tend to bland out the taste too much for me, just another case of find what works for you.

colorado_rob
10-10-2012, 12:50
Cool! Great Sawyer tips, Jake. thanks.

Many Moons
10-10-2012, 14:06
The answer to asking if an how to treat water has been answered hundreds of times on this site. Use the search function and all will be revealed but be aware that there are many biased opinions.

By the way, I like it when a filter gets nasty after a few days use, its means its working. Just use the scrubby pad to clean off the surface.

Yo, Already searched site. A lot were asking what to use. I am asking if any feel new methods are better than MSR. Hike On!!!

Miller

Many Moons
10-10-2012, 14:07

I could have asked about cheese on the trail HAHA! Hike On!!!

Miller

Many Moons
10-10-2012, 14:10
I use the the Steripen (5.5 or 3.6 oz depending on model which is based on battery type). I find it very easy to use about 90 sec cycle for bottle (about 60 for a 1/2), though really not to be used directly in the bladder - you really need some bottle for it to really work well. Small mouth bottles also can be challenging for the lighter model though I found the 5.5 oz one seems to work fine with them, just insert the pen so the rubber 'cone' of the Steripen's bulb support contacts the rim and turn the bottle upside down, the steripen rubber cone seals the bottle and allows one to do a proper cycle with moving the water around.

The ability to purify small mouth bottles easily and the availability of AA batteries, though they really need the Energizer Lithium ones which are also easy to find, but can use regular AA batteries in a pinch, and the 100+ purification cycles per battery change are the advantages of the 5.5 oz steripen.

The smaller size and less weight is the advantage of the 3.6 oz models with about 40-50 cycles per battery change but with harder to find CR-123 batteries.

With either no pumping over water, just grab the water and treat it when and where you want. Small water puddles can be challenging however to gather from, not impossible as you can always take a cloth to soak it up and squeeze it out if absolutely needed.

Also for dinner as you mentioned, boiling would be my method, no need to treat that water. I use a Jetboil Sol Ti which with a full fuel canister comes to 15.7 oz as packed and that would last me 4 days assuming 3 L of boiled water per day. I also have recently used boiling as my backup method when the Steripen batteries went flat and 2 other filters in the group failed all at the same time, chemical treatment was available but we didn't use it.

Good tips!! Thanks!! Did not think about boiling in evening, which I did. That would have saved me work each evening. Hike On!!!

Miller

Many Moons
10-10-2012, 14:16

Good detailed post. I am going to look into this system. Seems like we hit a town every 3 to 4 days anyway, to clean your type of system. I liked the MSR it was just a little heavy. Hike On!!!

Miller

Many Moons
10-10-2012, 14:19
Rob, cut the bottom off a small water bottle (or plastic peanut jar in my case) and use that for a scoop to fill the bag. weighs a few grams and you can always fill up the bags no matter if it is running or not.

not sure what took so much time to backflush. you suck up clean water from your water bottle and shoot it through the filter repeat 3 times and in under 5 mins you are good to go again.

also on Backpackinglight there is a great tips thread that someone has put a plastic coffee filter "disc" between the filter and the rubber washer on the dirty side to catch larger junk that helps keep the filter itself cleaner, longer.
http://adropofrain.net/images/sawyer-squeeze-mods-1/dscn4001.jpg

I am going to print this whole thread of posts. Great info from all of you thanks. I do not know any other hikers other than the ones I met on trail. Whiteblaze is my main info place. Thanks. Hike On!!!

Miller

Many Moons
10-10-2012, 14:24
Good tips!! Thanks!! Did not think about boiling in evening, which I did. That would have saved me work each evening. Hike On!!!

Miller I mean that I filtered and then boiled to put in food packs. Sounds like I did twice the work. Hike On!!!

Miller

Hops53
10-10-2012, 14:31
You can also backwash the Sawyer by using a "tornado tube" - you need to cut about an inch off the tube for the threads to engage, you can find videos and instructions on-line easily.

mamamiapdx
10-11-2012, 22:21
I use a Sawyer squeeze filter, if you are easy on the squeeze pouch you are fine.

swjohnsey
10-11-2012, 22:25
Every Sawyer I saw was leakin'.

jakedatc
10-11-2012, 22:53
If you upgrade the bag then they don't leak.

I still think you are very lucky that you did not get sick not treating along the AT.. And this year was especially dry up north at least so small sources were the norm. running water... clear water... microscopic stuff travels in both. when the deer craps up river you won't know it.

swjohnsey
10-11-2012, 22:59
If you upgrade the bag then they don't leak.

I still think you are very lucky that you did not get sick not treating along the AT.. And this year was especially dry up north at least so small sources were the norm. running water... clear water... microscopic stuff travels in both. when the deer craps up river you won't know it.

BS. How much water did you test? How does a deer crap upstream of a spring? Ain't nothin' livin' in Maine.

jakedatc
10-11-2012, 23:03
moose and beaver live in maine...

you think you can do the AT with springs alone? no rivers, lakes, puddles? BS yourself. I couldn't do just Vermont with that.

Theosus
10-11-2012, 23:12
I use the sawyer inline. It's like the squeeze but bigger. I modified the lines a little and use a $9 Walmart bladder as my "dirty water" sack. The nice part about the Walmart sack is the built in valve. Without the line popped in place, the water doesn't drain out. I just put the Sawyer's "out" side right on the camelback's drinking tube (bite valve removed), and let it fill the sack right in my pack. Very easy to use, and nice flow rate once all the air is out of the line.

swjohnsey
10-11-2012, 23:24
moose and beaver live in maine...

you think you can do the AT with springs alone? no rivers, lakes, puddles? BS yourself. I couldn't do just Vermont with that.

Very few. I treat questionable water with household bleach. The twenty years I spent as a LRRP I just use iodine . . . never got sick, not once.