PDA

View Full Version : What boots to buy

Morning Glory
05-12-2005, 09:07
I need some opinions on boots. I'm not necessarily looking for opinions on brands necessarily, because I know that everyone's feet are different. However, I'm wondering if I really need heavyweight backpacking boots. I used to consistently carry around 40 lbs., but I'm now trying to get that weight down to 25-30 lbs. I've always worn a fairly hefty...full leather boot...similar to the LL Bean Cresta Hikers. I really would love to downgrade to a lighter boot...something that may be rated light-midweight, but I'm not sure if this is wise. Also, I'm a fairly big guy...over 200 lbs. Opinions?

Kerosene
05-12-2005, 09:31
I would certainly at least take a look at some of the mid-weight options in the 2-3 pound per pair range. How light you go probably depends on how easy you are to fit, the degree of stabilization you need, and whether or not you want to put up with shortie gaitors since it's more likely that you'll get pebbles and junk in your low-tops. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of how you can really test your selection without actually buying the product and wearing them on a shake-down hike.

Take a look at the Garmont Eclipse, which weighs in at 2 lbs. 10 oz. for a men's size 11. I like it because it has a very stiff toe rand. The sizing runs about 1 size small.

chris
05-12-2005, 09:47
I'm also over 200 lbs, and find trail runners to work out very well for me. I'm constantly surprised by how little support ankles really need on an established trail like the AT or PCT. Now, I'm either in mountaineering boots or runners, no inbetween.

Pencil Pusher
05-12-2005, 15:20
The Vasque Sundowner is a good hiking boot. Look it up on the internet and then find a similarly fitting boot of any manufacture. That's about the size you're looking for and... dangit I'm over 200lbs too.

Ridge
05-13-2005, 00:51
Boots that fit the best are always the first choice. My husband ended up after 12 pairs of trial and error with Raichle, just because of the fit and comfort. He really wanted Vasque or Merrell. hikerwife

Slimer
05-13-2005, 01:25
try trail runners, your feet will love you for it.

Little Frog
05-18-2005, 13:45
I will also be in the market to replace my boots soon. Based on my experience with my old boots and the manufacturer (thread is here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8909), I would be just as interested in the manufacturer's reputation for good customer service and standing behind their boots, as the look and feel of the boots themselves.

Unless you have weird feet, my guess is that any of the top boot makers will have a pair that will do well for you. Just do some research to ensure that the company has a good track record for customer service before making your final choice.

Little Frog
05-18-2005, 14:17
I will also be in the market to replace my boots soon. Based on my experience with my old boots and the manufacturer (thread is here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8909), I would be just as interested in the manufacturer's reputation for good customer service and standing behind their boots, as the look and feel of the boots themselves.

Unless you have weird feet, my guess is that any of the top boot makers will have a pair that will do well for you. Just do some research to ensure that the company has a good track record for customer service before making your final choice.

Phsskipper
05-18-2005, 17:59
Do not forget to check out Limmers

MedicineMan
05-18-2005, 22:18
but just ordered a pair of ultralight Limmer's, my LLBean Cresta's are approaching 900 trail miles on them and the treads are the excuse to find a replacement. The Crestas have never failed me in any way, kinda like a Nissan pickup where you'll get tired of it before you wear it out!

c.coyle
05-19-2005, 10:34
but just ordered a pair of ultralight Limmer's, my LLBean Cresta's are approaching 900 trail miles on them and the treads are the excuse to find a replacement. The Crestas have never failed me in any way, kinda like a Nissan pickup where you'll get tired of it before you wear it out!

If boots are what you prefer, let me second the vote for Bean Crestas. I have the leather / fabric version. Reasonably light for boots, extremely comfortable, virtually no break-in. I only use them for rocks and snowshoeing nowadays.

I know some people disagree, but the Goretex lining doesn't seem to make my feet any sweatier than my non-GT trail runners. There is no doubt that, once wet inside, they dry slower than non-GT footwear.