PDA

View Full Version : Flip Flop, Harper's Ferry to MA - HF to GA Help?

Focus
05-12-2005, 09:11
Is the second week of June to late to start from Harper's Ferry going north to MA and still be able to flip back down to HF and go south to GA? I am trying to decide whether or not to go this year or wait until next March. I told myself last year that this would be the year unless a job and or girl came into the picture. Well, both did. The girl is great but the new job is worse than the last. Should I just go and follow my dream? Just wanted to get some advice and ideas from the great people here at Whitebalze. Thanks all.

Blue Sky II
05-14-2005, 09:26
Too late? Heck no! You'll probably be in the front pack of NOBO's. It gives you plenty of time for a five-month hike. I know others who hiked the same hike and really enjoyed it, including me. I started on June 22 a few years ago. Go for it!!!

Focus
05-16-2005, 11:51
Too late? Heck no! You'll probably be in the front pack of NOBO's. It gives you plenty of time for a five-month hike. I know others who hiked the same hike and really enjoyed it, including me. I started on June 22 a few years ago. Go for it!!!

Blue Sky II, thanks for the post. When did you finish your hike and how long for each way? Can you please also give me any pros/cons than you may have encountered completeing your hike this way? Thanks,

Blue Sky II
05-16-2005, 19:22
Blue Sky II, thanks for the post. When did you finish your hike and how long for each way? Can you please also give me any pros/cons than you may have encountered completeing your hike this way? Thanks,Hike your own hike and what makes sence for you. I finished 2,040 miles the day after Thanksgiving, but that's with 43 zero days due to injury, rest, travel, and five days lost to Hurricane Isabel. I still have to do a section in Shenandoah National Park. One word of advice: Don't be tempted to start too fast and severely blister your feet before hitting the PA rocks.
Pros:
1) Learn from NOBO's who have 1,000 miles under their belts!
2) Shelters aren't as full going north in early June and after flipping south!
3) On average, it's got to be a little easier to start at Harpers Ferry than to head south from Katadin in early June! Call me a coward if you like!
4) Hiking the South after Labor Day, when the crowds are gone, offers a greater degree of solitude!
Cons:
1) Don't hit the PA rocks, after Duncannon, with badly blistered rookie feet!
2) Some hostels in the South are closed in the fall, especially the late fall!
3) Ending on Springer Mtn isn't the same as ending your hike atop Katadin!

Lilred
05-16-2005, 22:44
If I ever thru hike, I've been considering starting the beginning of June at Harper's Ferry and going south to Springer, then back to Harper's Ferry and north. Finishing at Katadyn with the other northbounders.

Peaks
05-17-2005, 07:36
If I ever thru hike, I've been considering starting the beginning of June at Harper's Ferry and going south to Springer, then back to Harper's Ferry and north. Finishing at Katadyn with the other northbounders.

I doubt that a June start will get you to Katahdin before it closes for the year. Better to go north from Harper's Ferry with the early NOBO's and then flip back to HF and go south.

"ME & U"
05-17-2005, 08:56
We did the same hike also and it was awesome! We left mid April and the fast north bounders caught up to us near PA. Very few of them though. In fact our entire hike was pretty quiet as far as other thru's, maybe 20 total. Heading south we maybe saw 5 thru's. Not that we're antisocial but we planned it that way and it worked out. June would work. The foliage up north will bake your noodle! I will say though that you'll most likely hike with many people, sounds like perfect timing for the bulk of hikers heading north.
By the way, the weather was perfect, bugs were down, no mud in VT, and heading south the weather was tolerable. If you split in June, the weather south might be cooler. We ended in Sept, Nov would have been nicer.

dbarrow
05-18-2005, 09:14
One solution to the PA rocks on rookie feet - start at Delaware Water Gap. That's what I'm planning for next May. Another benefit to starting here is that when you do reach Harper's Ferry and midway marker, it will be approx. halfway for you.

Deb

kyerger
05-18-2005, 11:51
I am planning a flip flop in 2006 the first part of june. I want to start just south of Shenandoah park. I hope this is a good place to start. Is the hiking easy there? Any info would be nice. Cant wait to hit the trail...

Blue Sky II
05-20-2005, 18:05
That can be a good option and it's really easy to get into DWG from New York City. Commuter buses run almost around the clock and the bus station is a short walk from the rail station. I've literally gotten off a train, walked quickly up the avenue, and boarded a bus to DWG within 30 minutes.
Lost and Found started at DWG in late June or early July 2003. I think their on-line trail journal (Trail Journals) only covers the southern leg of the journey.
I forgot to include the biggest negative of a flip-flop.....the travel costs.

Coosa
05-21-2005, 22:51
:sun I'm planning to start on June 1 from HF (a Sunday in 2008) and hike North to Kahtadin, then hitch (or take bus/Amtrak) to HF and hike to Georgia.

I am starting then because I am retiring on May 31, 2008. :sun

That is, if I can't get myself fired before then. :rolleyes:

Auntie Coosa