PDA

View Full Version : More Tent Advice

HooKooDooKu
10-11-2012, 02:48
Looks like everyone is looking for some tent advice right now... here's my situation:

I've been using a Kelty Vortex 2 for about 15 years. I've loved the tent, but she's an old gal ready to be retired (and she weights in at 7lb 5oz with ground cloth).

My Requirements:
1. I hike primarily in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
2. Must fit my sleeping pads (NeoAir Large for me, Prolite Regular for my son).
3. Must keep the bugs out (no tarp tents).
4. Less than $250 (including ground cloth)

The obvious 1st consideration is the Kelty Gunnison 2.1. (it replaced the Vortex)
I've also considered the Gunnison 2.1 - heavier (i.e. stronger) material to stand up to use with kids.

I've recently discovered the Big Agnes Lynx Pass. 17754It looks like the vestibule can double as a tarp to cook under, allowing me to leave an extra piece of gear (cooking tarp) at home.

Another interesting wrinkle is that I could get a Lynx 3 for less than the Lynx 2 with REI's current sale. If the 3 will fit a NeoAir Large and a pair of Prolite regulars, I've got another son I hope to have joining us soon. In the mean time, the Lynx could still be used as a 2 man tent (and still weight a little less than my current Vortex).

I've all but ruled out the Mountain Hardware Drifter (2 or 3) because after adding a ground cloth, there isn't much of a weight savings yet it seems to be much smaller than the Gunnison or Lynx Pass.

I've considered the Marmot Limelight because it appears that it is only 5lbs (with ground cloth?). Seems like its only negative is a single door (yet the Lynx is a single door too... but you at least get the tarp-like replacement).

Other ideas out there?

AjR
10-11-2012, 14:20
How heavy is that thing? I personally am thinking of going with a sil-nylon tarp with a drop cloth. I'm thinking of sewing in loops of cord on the two far sides and possibly making doors that go on either end. That gives me options. I carry a eurka Apex tent that weighs 4lbs 4oz, and while that's not that heavy, I'm still looking to go lighter.

scissor
10-11-2012, 14:28
SMD Lunar duo outfitter?

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/outfitter.html

88BlueGT
10-11-2012, 14:36
TarpTent Double Rainbow? Not sure if you looked into these yet but don't be confused, they are not 'tarps'.

I have the regular (1 person) Rainbow and could not be happier. Love this tent with a passion.

http://tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html

Blissful
10-11-2012, 14:54
A ground cloth can be a piece of Tyvek you can get from a garbage pit near housing construction. Cost - zero.

88BlueGT
10-11-2012, 16:33
I never really seen the purpose of using a ground cloth besides protection of your tent. Than again, you can just check the ground for sharp objects, etc. before laying your tent down, no?

Blissful
10-11-2012, 16:37
I don't care to lay my tent on a wet, muddy ground. I let the tyvek take the goop and it dries ultra quick and the dirt shakes off.

HooKooDooKu
10-11-2012, 16:38
The Big Agnes Lynx Pass 2 Pkg Weight WITH Ground cloth is 6lbs. 2oz. and is 90"x58". That puts it on par with what I'm used to with my large Vortex 2, and is basically the same size and weight at the Kelty Gunnison 2.

SMD are single wall construction. Seems like some fellow Southern hikers don't like the single walls.

I've said no to tarp style tents because I want to keep the bugs out. I've had and heard of bug problems in areas I've frequent. I can't tell for sure, but the Double Rainbow and other "tarp-tent" tents don't look like they totally enclose you in no-see-um mesh.

88BlueGT
10-11-2012, 16:42
I've said no to tarp style tents because I want to keep the bugs out. I've had and heard of bug problems in areas I've frequent. I can't tell for sure, but the Double Rainbow and other "tarp-tent" tents don't look like they totally enclose you in no-see-um mesh.

The Double Rainbow is fully enclosed. There is no-see-um mesh on the interior that is sewn into the tent and can be partially unzipped if you choose to leave it open. Lightweight, durable, decently priced and they are very spacious with awesome vestibules and great design.

HooKooDooKu
10-11-2012, 16:45
I never really seen the purpose of using a ground cloth besides protection of your tent. Than again, you can just check the ground for sharp objects, etc. before laying your tent down, no?

It's not "just" that simple. I DO check and clear the ground of sharp objects. But at least in areas as heavily used as the Smokies, there are always some rock or root sticking up out of the ground that you just can't move that would put the bottom of your tent at risk.

Plus a ground cloth can help keep things clean. Even a dry evening in the Smokies has left the bottom of my ground cloth wet/muddy. So the ground cloth keeps your tent clean AND provides a clean-dry spot to use to fold your tent in the morning (assuming it's not raining as you pack up). It's a lot easier to hang a ground-cloth to dry than a whole tent.

88BlueGT
10-11-2012, 16:49
^^ Valid point.

leaftye
10-11-2012, 17:31
The Double Rainbow is fully enclosed. There is no-see-um mesh on the interior that is sewn into the tent and can be partially unzipped if you choose to leave it open. Lightweight, durable, decently priced and they are very spacious with awesome vestibules and great design.

^^ This.

Every TarpTent brand shelter comes with full netting/bug protection. Check them out, you might like what you see.

http://www.tarptent.com/

Free_bird
10-11-2012, 17:33
Your all probally going to laugh at this one! What is the diference between my $40 walmart dome tent that weighs 3.1 lbs VS one of these tents that cost $200+? Im planing a thru and money is not too much of an issue but will be after leaving the job for 4 -7 monthes. Thanks in advance to your responces.

leaftye
10-11-2012, 17:33
A ground cloth can also provide a clean and dry spot on the ground to lounge during the day and dry your sleeping gear.

88BlueGT
10-11-2012, 17:36
Your all probally going to laugh at this one! What is the diference between my $40 walmart dome tent that weighs 3.1 lbs VS one of these tents that cost $200+? Im planing a thru and money is not too much of an issue but will be after leaving the job for 4 -7 monthes. Thanks in advance to your responces.

Durability, pack size, features, customer service, etc. Also, you will be surprised how much extra people will spend to save that one single pound.

leaftye
10-11-2012, 17:37

Poles are usually the biggest difference. Your Walmart dome tent almost certainly comes with fiberglass poles, where $200+ tents usually comes with aluminum poles.

The other difference is often refinement in design and manufacturing. Some low budget tents are impossible to get fully taut. A tight tent is essential to it holding up well in a storm. More expensive tents should be able to be pitched as tight as a drum, and you shouldn't accept a tent that can't. Keep in mind that it's not automatic. You have to work to pitch it tautly, and sometimes that means using every single guyout point.

AjR
10-11-2012, 17:38
It's always important to have something between you and the ground. I wasn't a believer in even sleeping pads, but after a recent trip to the Lincoln National Forest, where it got down to 34 f, I learned the hard way that I should have a sleeping pad. Now, the tarp tent idea is as easy as getting your own no-seeum. My wife and I have priced making all our own gear, and not only do we get the option of full customization, we also get the satisfaction of knowing our equipment is 100% USA made, and the prices we came up with, everything came out cheaper, and much much lighter, hence the tarp tent (sorry for getting off subject a little there!)

HooKooDooKu
10-11-2012, 17:56
I wasn't a believer in even sleeping pads...

The loft of a sleeping bag is what keeps you warm. The part of the sleeping bag compressed between your body and the ground will have almost no insulation value. So you need the sleeping pad to keep yourself insulated from the cold ground.

While one of the main differences between a 3 season tent and a 4 season tent is the ability to withstand a snow load, the main difference between a 3 season sleeping pad and a 4 season sleeping pad is the R value (insulation power) to better insulate you from the colder ground of the winter.

leaftye
10-11-2012, 18:12
While one of the main differences between a 3 season tent and a 4 season tent is the ability to withstand a snow load, the main difference between a 3 season sleeping pad and a 4 season sleeping pad is the R value (insulation power) to better insulate you from the colder ground of the winter.

And also to breathe less. That's why 4 season tents can be sealed up tighter and often have solid fabric inner tents instead of netting, or at least has solid fabric that can be zipped over the netting.

Starchild
10-11-2012, 19:11

Can you link to your Walmart dome tent?

For many years I used a 5 lb 2 person $30 kmart dome tent. I did look at the expensive offerings but back then the substantial extra money was not worth the few ounces it saved - yes $200 could buy less then a pound savings.

It worked fine for what I needed and that time. The dome design was hard to beat, simple, fast freestanding and simply bombproof.

But for the thru I needed something lighter, so I went for the MSR Carbon Reflex 1p. I got to say a world of difference I never knew. First is that the kmart dome had a puny rain fly, the Carbon Reflex has a total rain fly. This meant a world of difference inside the tent, it was dryer and also felt a lot dryer and better. Having a vestibule is also a very nice plus, a place to store everything that you don't want to take into the tent nor store in the bear box, also a place to cook if needed.

From someone coming from your position I just have to say you really need to try a better tent to see the difference.

Drybones
10-11-2012, 19:25
^^ This.

Every TarpTent brand shelter comes with full netting/bug protection. Check them out, you might like what you see.

http://www.tarptent.com/

+1...go thier web site and watch thier set up videos. I have the Double Rainbow and the Notch and am a satisfied customer with both.

AjR
10-11-2012, 21:30
The loft of a sleeping bag is what keeps you warm. The part of the sleeping bag compressed between your body and the ground will have almost no insulation value. So you need the sleeping pad to keep yourself insulated from the cold ground.

Too bad I learned that the hard way. I was wayyyy miserable that night. Totally worth it though!

mamamiapdx
10-11-2012, 22:40
keep an eye on geartrade and ebay, you can get a Flu creek Ul2 for <$250

scissor
10-12-2012, 08:59

I've been down that route recently... I don't think there is a $40 tent out there that is dry enough for an AT thru

HooKooDooKu
10-12-2012, 18:15
I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the Big Agnes Lynx Pass 2.

The bottom line is comming down to size. I need a tent that is at least 52" wide, with 54" or more being preferable (the Lynx Pass 2 is 58").

Basically I'm finding that just about all lighter 2-person tents are only 50" wide. When I tried to fit a NeoAir Large and Prolite Regular inside such a tent, the pads either overlapped or were right up against two sides of the tent.

At the moment, about the only other tent currently still in contention is the Kelty Salida because it's 54" wide and weights a pound less than the Big Agnes. But I'm not leaning that way too much... If I got the Salida, I would still need to carry an extra tarp to cook under on rainy days. With the Gig Agnes, I'm thinking I could leave that extra tarp at home and cook in the tent's vestibule (because of the way it's designed to create a "front porch"). So when you add the weight of a cooking tarp, the two tents are about a wash.

swjohnsey
10-12-2012, 18:27
Did you look at the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3. I saw several couples carrying this tent.

HooKooDooKu
10-12-2012, 23:13
The door just slammed shut on the Kelty Salida. I KNEW there was something wrong with this tent. It was just too good to be true (Kelty durability, 88"x55", and only a 3lbs 12oz base weight). Well the tent isn't really that big. I found out from the pictures on CampMor.com that the 55" dimension is only the size on one end... the other end is only 45".

As for the Fly Creek UL3, it's too expensive or too small. IMHO, the tent is too expensive to risk using with kids. I'd rather something a little less expensive.
Now I MIGHT could justify the Fly Creek if it could fit me and both of my sons. After all, the one Fly Creek cost about as much as two Lynx Pass (and if I get the Lynx Pass 2, I'm going to eventually have to buy another tent of some sort when all three of us start hiking). But with my NeoAir large, I need about a 70" wide 3P tent for all of us to fit. The Fly Creek is only 66".

I'm still looking though, trying to consider this from multiple angles and will likely pull the trigger on Sunday.

I appreciate all the input, and welcome more.

Rocket Jones
10-13-2012, 09:42
Why not a 2-person tent, and then add a single person tent when the time comes? There's more flexibility there, and I'd bet that at some point the kids would be taking turns sleeping alone.

limehollow
10-13-2012, 21:42
I really like the Mountainsmith Morrison 2 person. The price is good too.

10-K
10-13-2012, 21:55
Now this is interesting... I have never used a groundcloth and I've never thought the bottom of my tent was muddy. Wet, yes.... muddy? no.

Do you pitch your tent in the dirt?

To me it's just something else you have to carry and keep up with and anything that falls into that category stays home.

Papa D
10-13-2012, 22:13
Funny - I always carry a groundsheet - mine is tyvek and cut to fit my tent floor perfectly - - helps keep the tent floor bone dry on wet ground, clean, and protects from abrasion - - it weighs only a few ounces and is worth it's weight to me for sure.

f5mandopicker
10-13-2012, 22:36
Morrison is a great tent for the money with 35 sq. feet of interior space. Not the lightest, but well-built and keeps you dry. 4lb. 11oz. weight not too bad if two hikers share the carry.

10-K
10-13-2012, 23:05
Funny - I always carry a groundsheet - mine is tyvek and cut to fit my tent floor perfectly - - helps keep the tent floor bone dry on wet ground, clean, and protects from abrasion - - it weighs only a few ounces and is worth it's weight to me for sure.

Well then... you're just doing it ALL wrong.

Dangit.

p.s. Didn't you say you carry 2 headlamps too... Just in case one dies on you... Now that sir, is hard core.

fadeaway
10-14-2012, 13:07
Love Big Agnes Copper Spur 3. Its a 3 person tent, but only weighs 3 lbs. 14 ozs. I use it for girlfriend and me. Plenty of room for two people and gear. Door on each side.

Creek Dancer
10-14-2012, 13:31
Have you looked at the Lightheart Duo? This tent costs a little more than your $250 limit, but meets all the other requirements. 55" wide. And it's only two pounds. http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=12

HooKooDooKu
10-14-2012, 16:12
Have you looked at the Lightheart Duo? This tent costs a little more than your $250 limit, but meets all the other requirements. 55" wide. And it's only two pounds. http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=12

Interesting tent... and thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, as you say, they are pretty expensive... and absolutely bear bones (seam-sealing is extra, no tent pegs, etc). Just to make it worst, I'd have to spring the additional tent poles. I don't use "trekking poles", I find them too short. I use a custom-built bamboo pole that is over 6' long.

HooKooDooKu
10-14-2012, 16:20
I really like the Mountainsmith Morrison 2 person. The price is good too.

Can't find much information about this tent. The sites I checked that carry it have no reviews. But simply looking at it, I would seem to be on par with the Kelty Gunnisson (my primary basis of comparison because the Gunnisson was Kelty's replacement to the Vortex I currently have and have loved).

HooKooDooKu
10-14-2012, 22:50
Thanks everyone for your input. I just finished placing my orders.

The first was for REI where I used the 20% discount to get a new water filter.

The second was for CampMor where for $190 I got the Lynx Pass 2 & Ground Cloth.

In the end, I decided on the Lynx for several reasons:
1. Additional offline discussions with friends convenced me that I wanted a free-standing tent.
2. The weight is NOT bad for this class of tent. For example, the Moutain Hardware Drifter 2 is only 4oz lighter.
3. Tents that were significantly lighter were much more expensive. For example, the one tent I considered was squeezing into the REI 1/4 Dome 2. It is a full pound lighter, but cost $100 more.
4. The design of the fly should allow me to leave my cooking tarp at home.

About the only thing I feel like I might be missing out on is having the doors on both sides of the tent. That's what I'm used to with my Kelty Vortex, and would likely demand the same thing if I were using this tent camping with "buddies". But for the next 10 years, I expect to only be using it with family (and the boys would likely be too scared to get out of the tent on their own in the middle of the night).

As someone suggested, I did decide to go with the 2 man version. I expect that at some time in the future, I'll buy myself a much lighter weight tent and let the boys share this one while I use the light weight tent, or only carry this one if both boys are not joining me.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

HooKooDooKu
10-19-2012, 00:59
I got my tent and ground cloth today. After swapping out the tent pegs with ones I already owned, the final weight was under 6lbs (that's for a 90"x58" tent with ground cloth @ <$200).