PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Poles 1 pole or 2?

starbright
10-11-2012, 02:54
I have seen where some people take only one pole and some take two poles which is best? I have bought one for each of us and want to know if I should go ahead and get two for us?
Please Help

dornstar
10-11-2012, 05:23
I think it's hard to answer that question as it varies from person to person and hike to hike. I carry two since I use them for my LightHeart tent, but usually use one and let my hiking buddy use the other. Just depends and I would recommend starting off with just the set and see how it goes. You'll quickly learn if you're a trekking pole guy or not.

Don H
10-11-2012, 06:13
I assume from your past posts you are planning a thru. Look at the photos in the gallery of hikers on Katahdin who have thrued.
How many are carrying one pole?

Lone Wolf
10-11-2012, 06:25
I have seen where some people take only one pole and some take two poles which is best? I have bought one for each of us and want to know if I should go ahead and get two for us?
Please Help
having 1, 2 or no poles doesn't guarantee a successful walk for the record i've never used any poles on my thru hikes

Don H
10-11-2012, 06:41
If you were to take a poll I believe the majority would use two poles, second would be those that use none, and last would be those that use one.
Using only one pole because you broke one and are too cheap to buy another set doesn't count;)

leaftye
10-11-2012, 06:46
Using only one pole throws me off. Using it on a slope with hard spring snow is okay though, but not as good as two poles set to different lengths.

You really have to ask yourself why you want to use poles. Using them just because lots of other hikers use them isn't a good reason.

Karma13
10-11-2012, 06:55
Starbright, I use two. Occasionally, depending on the job at hand, or to give one arm a break, or to change things up during a flat tedious stretch of walking, I'll switch to one. If I have two I can always just use one of them--but if I only have one, well, that's my only option.

How did you buy single poles? Or did you buy a pair and share them? (In which case, are you and your partner about the same height?) Or did you buy a tall, 'walking stick' type pole? Those are a different animal from trekking poles, which are usually sold in pairs anyway.

Don H
10-11-2012, 07:27
There's lots of articles on using trekking poles and one often sited study by the The Journal of Sports Medicine that concluded that the proper use of poles decreases the stress on knees by 25%.

http://www.thebackpacker.com/articles/tipsandhow/art201.php (http://www.thebackpacker.com/articles/tipsandhow/art201.php)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100602121000.htm

snifur
10-11-2012, 08:37
2 poles improves my balance, coordination, speed, and endurance. without them i feel awkward and clumbsy and slow. cheap poles are fine and expensive poles are not required. i recommend two poles.

lemon b
10-11-2012, 10:24
Personal comfort. For years I did not use them. Now I use only one. It helps alot with balance and knee wear. Seems like most are more comfortable with two.

starbright
10-11-2012, 12:53
Starbright, I use two. Occasionally, depending on the job at hand, or to give one arm a break, or to change things up during a flat tedious stretch of walking, I'll switch to one. If I have two I can always just use one of them--but if I only have one, well, that's my only option.

How did you buy single poles? Or did you buy a pair and share them? (In which case, are you and your partner about the same height?) Or did you buy a tall, 'walking stick' type pole? Those are a different animal from trekking poles, which are usually sold in pairs anyway.

I purchased them at a flea market, 3 actually two of my children are hiking with me. But they have more so have been trying to figure out if needed two each. They are adjustable for different heights I am 5'7" and my son is 6'3" they seem to adjust for both.

rusty bumper
10-11-2012, 13:14
I never used poles until I began my training hikes for my AT journey. I quickly decided that I would never again hike without them. They take a lot of stress off my knees on the descents and I dig in with them on climbs to help me on my way up. They also help with stability when the trail surface is really rough and are indispensable for balance when fording streams. Once in a while during boulder scrambles, they get in the way and I just hold them both in one hand or the other while I use the free hand to grab roots, tree trunks or rocks to pull myself up or ease myself down. On the occasional flat stretch, I carry them horizontal in one hand just for something different. Going through the Mahoosuc Notch and on part of the climb up Katahdin I collapsed both of them and carried them on the outside of my pack...they were useless to me on those 2 portions of the trail. I used the cheapest Leki poles I could find and was never disappointed with them.

Odd Man Out
10-11-2012, 13:36
In the days before trekking poles (in pairs) became common, I would almost always hike with a walking stick (one) I picked up from the forest. They are great for giving our hand something to do while walking. You can lean on them so you look more like a hiker when someone is taking your picture. You can whittle it with your pocket know while sitting around the camp fire. You can then poke said campfire to get the end of the stick nice and black and rounded. Then you can write things on rocks with the charcoal on the end of the stick. You can use it to fight off animals, or in the absence of animals you can wave it around and pretend your are a Kung Fu master. When you are done with it, you cast it off back to the forest.

These days I use two poles as they help my old knees, but I must say a nice walking stick has a certain aesthetic value that is lacking in aluminum rods.

QiWiz
10-11-2012, 13:46
For me four wheel drive works better than three wheel drive. Two knees, two poles.

starbright
10-11-2012, 21:38
Thank you for your opinions I think I will try for two hiking poles and see if that works best for us. Balance is a major thing for me so I think I will go with two.
Thanks

Creek Dancer
10-12-2012, 16:01
In the days before trekking poles (in pairs) became common, I would almost always hike with a walking stick (one) I picked up from the forest. They are great for giving our hand something to do while walking. You can lean on them so you look more like a hiker when someone is taking your picture. You can whittle it with your pocket know while sitting around the camp fire. You can then poke said campfire to get the end of the stick nice and black and rounded. Then you can write things on rocks with the charcoal on the end of the stick. You can use it to fight off animals, or in the absence of animals you can wave it around and pretend your are a Kung Fu master. When you are done with it, you cast it off back to the forest.

These days I use two poles as they help my old knees, but I must say a nice walking stick has a certain aesthetic value that is lacking in aluminum rods.

Whenever I see a walking stick placed against a trail head sign, used by and placed there by a fellow hiker at the end of his hike, I smile.

chiefduffy
10-13-2012, 04:52
I carry two poles, and they have saved me from many a nasty fall. For whatever reasons, I stumble a few times every day, more when the trail is rough. Having a stick in both hands it is easy to regain my balance. Don't know if this would work with one pole.

m_factor
10-13-2012, 19:37
Count me among those that would end up walking in circles if I only had one pole.

When I started using poles, it took some time to get used to the most efficient technique. Now, I wouldn't hike without poles. I have a whole write-up on my web site. You might find some more good information there:

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/poles.html

Have fun out there.

Old Hiker
10-23-2012, 15:43
I started with one Scout hiking staff - I just don't trust the thin Al trekking poles. It worked fairly well, but broke about mile 110. I picked up a hoe handle (yeah, a hoe handle) and started using that. At the start of a long climb, I wondered out loud if I should try 2. Lo and behold, there was a perfectly shaped staff by the side of the trail. Used them the rest of the way. They kept me from several falls, but couldn't help me with the last one.

I put a rubber crutch tip on the natural pole and the hoe handle has a steel sheath that the hoe blade is supposed to go into. It got kinda crushed down over the 300+ miles !

Deadeye
10-23-2012, 16:16
Which is best? Whatever works for you. I like, and usually use, one pole. I usually carry two poles. I find my balance is better with no poles. Do some experimenting.

starbright
10-24-2012, 06:35
The poles I settled on are Outside Edge, The first ones I found at a flea market liked the way they feel so i got more for my children. only $20 for two so I hope they hold up for the thru hike.
They seem to be well made.

peakbagger
10-24-2012, 09:40
Two poles and make sure they are three secion an collapsible. Many folks who buy poles think they are for downhills only. Once you get used to two poles, they are of even more use going uphill as you can transfer a lot of the load in your legs to you upper body. Initially it may feel awkward but once you are used to it, it allows you to keep up a faster consistent pace up hill. I must admit they can be a PITA on occasion on rocky slopes in the whites and maine but the benefits far outweigh the infrequent times they get in the way.

starbright
10-25-2012, 01:33
Thanks everyone for the great advice. Going with two poles

HermesUL
10-28-2012, 10:55
I'm planning to go with one hiking pole next summer, but that might change. I like to carry snacks and water in the other hand at times, and to have that hand free for tough climbing.

I also use my hiking poles with a poncho tarp, but I think my bivy sack will allow me to get away with just one pole.

lonehiker
11-15-2012, 01:27
I skipped most of the posts so unsure if this has been addressed, but make sure and use the straps on the poles correctly. This will ensure maximum efficiency with least amount of energy expended.

oldbear
11-15-2012, 01:58
I've never used them But I think that I'm going to start my hike w/ two of them and if the retraining the muscle memory is too weird I'm sure that I can give them away
btw
There are youtube vids on how to use them properly

cliffordbarnabus
11-15-2012, 13:47
animals know what's up. 4 points on the ground is the way to go.

RWheeler
11-15-2012, 14:17
I skipped most of the posts so unsure if this has been addressed, but make sure and use the straps on the poles correctly. This will ensure maximum efficiency with least amount of energy expended.

animals know what's up. 4 points on the ground is the way to go.

Both of these are excellent points.

For the record, I used two poles. The option of having the points of contact was much appreciated. And if you get a pair with straps, make sure you're using them right. It sounds silly, but they may be contoured in a specific way so that hands should either go from below(the more common method, in my experience) or through the top before you grab the handle. With the straps used right, you may not even have to hold the pole, just like the momentum of your arm extend them. It's pretty fantastic.

colorado_rob
11-15-2012, 14:49
animals know what's up. 4 points on the ground is the way to go. Funny, I look at this exactly the opposite way. 2-legged human beings are the most perfect walking machines ever invented. four legged animals waste tons of energy. Google this subject up sometime. Humans are so very efficient in their walking it's amazing. Bill Bryson has an excellent thesis on this in his book "A short history of nearly everything". He points out that humans can basically chase down most four legged animals and eventually catch them. Sure, they are faster (most of them) in spurts, but humans will nearly always be able to eventually catch them. Why? Because they have two legs and move extremely efficiently. Four legs are inefficient.

Using trekking poles means you burn lots of extra energy raising and lowering your poles (which you have to do with your feet as well, to walk). 5 million steps to walk the AT? That means raising and lowering your two trekking poles 5 million times, right? Sure, poles saves wear/tear on knees and ankles/feet, that's a huge benefit. But I find one, and exactly one pole does this quite nicely and is the perfect compromise between extra energy use (using two poles) and absorbing some shock on the knees/feet (using one).

Stability? Someone mentioned that 4 points of contact is more stable? What do you think is more stable, a three legged table or a four legged one??? The answer is a three legged one.

mgeiger
11-15-2012, 18:43
It's personal preference. I used a staff for 30 years. In the last year I have transitioned to 2 very light home made bamboo poles.

I'm much faster with 2 poles. It just seems more natural, more symmetrical, driving forward, and not torquing the body to one side. I tried one pole again last weekend and I felt like I was limping.

See what works for you.

jakedatc
11-15-2012, 19:00
But I find one, and exactly one pole does this quite nicely and is the perfect compromise between extra energy use (using two poles) and absorbing some shock on the knees/feet (using one).

right up until you are carrying it in your right hand and your left foot hits a wet root or rock and slides out from under you and you fall on your left side because nothing is there to catch you :)

mogul skiers use 2 poles.. that is how i walk down the trail. flick and plant. feet go where they want below, upper body stays level, square and balanced.

Sarcasm the elf
11-15-2012, 20:01
I have always found that the correct number of poles is three.

RWheeler
11-15-2012, 20:43
I have always found that the correct number of poles is three.

So... strap an ancillary one to your pack? :-?

Dr. Professor
11-19-2012, 08:57
It really depends; do you have two hands? If you have two hands, the correct answer is two poles.

;)

Do what works for you. I won't hike without two poles. They prevent knee pain, they help with acceleration, they help with endurance, and they prevent falls. Also, they allow you to recruit upper body musculature (rhomboids and biceps for traditional poles, triceps and lats for PacerPoles) into the hiking process.

Gaiter
12-24-2012, 15:42
It's a personal choice, I was offered a couple of poles on a weekend hike when I was first getting started hiking and found that I really benefitted from them, I'm a little on the clumsy side, so they really helped me put.

Another question: what type of wood is best for a walking stick?