PDA

View Full Version : shoes for fording

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 10:13
unless i have some sort of epiphamy, i will be wearing my merrill hiking boots on the hundred mile wilderness at the end of next august...i know that i need to keep my feet dry as much as possible....so i was thinking i could get some swim shoes to ford creeks, some of which, can get pretty swift & deep, if it rains a good bit....wondering what others do and if they (the swim shoes) are worth the weight?

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 10:15
epiphaNy...silleh typo

hikerboy57
10-11-2012, 10:24
just wear your boots.

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 10:33
well normally i wouldn't worry so much about it and would enjoy splashing around in my boots...but i have never been on a 11 day hike (no resupply)...and i read that one of the MOST important things on this hike is to keep dry socks and feet...if possible...

swjohnsey
10-11-2012, 10:40
Trust me, your feet won't be dry. It shouldn't take you 11 days to do it. Get a bucket drop and you can do it carrying 3-4 days of food.

Rasty
10-11-2012, 10:57
Trust me, your feet won't be dry. It shouldn't take you 11 days to do it. Get a bucket drop and you can do it carrying 3-4 days of food.

Where would you cache a drop? Jo Mary Road?

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 11:02
the 11 days includes the summit of mount katahdin...we initially thought we could do it in 10 days...but after talking with people here, i was told that 11 days is more likely...we want to enjoy ourselves and not rush it..

Tipi Walter
10-11-2012, 11:08
just wear your boots.

Good advice in August if you don't mind carrying the extra water weight. Bad advice for the winter. I use crocs for all my water crossings esp in winter plus they make excellent camp shoes as they slip on and off easily which is something that is done hundreds of times on a trip. And if you have a couple dozen crossings you can backpack in the things for miles at a stretch.

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 11:08
and i don't mean we will be skipping thru the woods like hansel and gretel... but you get my drift...and we are planning to hike without resupply... :D

Moose2001
10-11-2012, 11:09
If you don't want to ford in your boots, a pair of cheap Walmart "Crocs" works well.

hikerboy57
10-11-2012, 11:10
Good advice in August if you don't mind carrying the extra water weight. Bad advice for the winter.

absolutely.with trail runners in summer, they dry fast enough

HooKooDooKu
10-11-2012, 11:18
If you don't want to ford in your boots, a pair of cheap Walmart "Crocs" works well.

I use these as well (and like the previous comment on Crocs, use them as "camp shoes" as well). They are super light (as far as foot ware goes) and I just hang them of the back of my pack.

hikerboy57
10-11-2012, 11:23
Where would you cache a drop? Jo Mary Road?

Either there or katahdin iron works road or both

swjohnsey
10-11-2012, 11:41
For twenty bucks the folks at Lakeshore will take a five gallon bucket to Katahdin Iron Works Road. I hit it on the third day. You can also go in at White House Landing for some town food (pizza or burger) and resupply (they have just about anything you will need). The guy is an A hole but it is worth it (his wife is real nice). Be warned that there is very little resupply at Abol bridge store and nothin' to buy (at all) in Baxter State Park. I'm not very fast and I made it to Abol in about 7 days.

Deacon
10-11-2012, 11:52
absolutely.with trail runners in summer, they dry fast enough

Yeah, just take off your socks and ford the stream in just the shoes. With trail runners, you can put your socks back on immediately and yes, the shoes will get your socks a little damp but not soaked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darwin13
10-11-2012, 11:52
What about going barefoot through these rivers? I guess you risk the chance of cutting your foot but when Im hiking and I need to cross I usually just take my boots and socks off and carefully make my way across. Then again I have rather leathery bottoms of my feet.

Slo-go'en
10-11-2012, 11:54
I can't seem to keep crocs on my feet, especially in running water. I found a similer type plastic shoe with a strap across the front of the shoe w/velcro tab which worked well.

The alturnative is to remove your socks and insoles, wear the boot across, dump out the water and dry the inside as best as possible, then put your socks back on. Your feet will still be a little damp, but at least not sloshsing in water. But what ever you do, don't try to cross bare footed. I broke a toe doing that and had to get off at Lower Jo-Mary. The rocks in those streams are really slippery!

hikerboy57
10-11-2012, 11:57
What about going barefoot through these rivers? I guess you risk the chance of cutting your foot but when Im hiking and I need to cross I usually just take my boots and socks off and carefully make my way across. Then again I have rather leathery bottoms of my feet.
not a good idea. the rocks are slippery, and you will stub your toes.
instead of crocs, i used vivobarefoot shoes for camp shoes, had intended to use them for crossings, but ended up just weraing my shoes.

RCBear
10-11-2012, 12:05
Think i am going to give these a try. i like that they are a little more aggressive in design (which should aid in water crossings) than my current pair and should have all the other benefits in terms of weight, ease on, ease off around camp.

http://www.crocs.com/crocs-crostrail/10721,default,pd.html?cgid=footwear&start=4&sz=4

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 12:11
slo-go'en...the fact that the the crocs don't have a snug fit worries me as well, that is why i was thinking some surf shoes would be a good idea....

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 12:13
those are some cool looking crocs...more streamline than the others i have seen...i don't own a pair of the original crocs...never have....but those are cool and only $20 :D

hikerboy57
10-11-2012, 12:15
check these out:http://www.zappos.com/vivobarefoot-ultra-m-black

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 12:18
hikerboy57...those are nice! and the price says so :/

hikerboy57
10-11-2012, 12:21
hikerboy57...those are nice! and the price says so :/
i bought em at ems for $50 on sale in july.they are practically weightless

yellowsirocco
10-11-2012, 12:22
If you are having trouble with crocs staying on your feet, just tie some thick shock cord around them.

The most important part of fording streams is make sure to have a walking stick for balance. Two works even better

Feral Bill
10-11-2012, 12:23
I use these http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Speedo-Mens-Watershoe-Black-Blue-Hydrotread-Size-8-10-11-13-NWT-/230836563209?pt=US_Men_s_Athletic_Footwear&var=&hash=item35beee6d09 for sailing. Got them at Costco last spring for cheap. Should do the job nicely.

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 12:32
yellowsirocco...i will be using trekking poles...2 of them....especially when fording :P

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 12:34
Feral Bill...your profile pic cracks me up :D ...and those are what i was thinking about...along the same line...just wonder about the weight?

treesloth
10-11-2012, 12:41
those are some cool looking crocs...more streamline than the others i have seen...i don't own a pair of the original crocs...never have....but those are cool and only $20 :D

Gizzy B - the phrase "cool looking" and "crocs" do NOT work together in the same sentence, under ANY circumstances. Ever.

:-)

gearfreak
10-11-2012, 12:41
Yeah, just take off your socks and ford the stream in just the shoes. With trail runners, you can put your socks back on immediately and yes, the shoes will get your socks a little damp but not soaked.

And remove the footbeds.

Deacon
10-11-2012, 12:47
And remove the footbeds.

Yes

Deacon
10-11-2012, 12:47
i bought em at ems for $50 on sale in july.they are practically weightless

Exactly how much does the pair weigh?

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 12:48
treesloth.... shoot me...for i have sinned!!!! you are SOOOOO right!!!!!! my reputation here is SHOT!! :D

RCBear
10-11-2012, 12:50
They great thing about crocs is that i don't feel unmanly sitting around camp enjoying my pastries and flavored coffee when i have them on! :)

hikerboy57
10-11-2012, 12:51
Exactly how much does the pair weigh?

4 ounces..........

rusty bumper
10-11-2012, 12:52
I crossed all streams in Maine wearing my socks and Merrell Moab low-cut hiking shoes. The shoes drained quickly and within a few minutes of having crossed, my feet were back to comfortable. IF it didn't rain, or IF I didn't ford another stream that same day, they were reasonable dry within 6 hours or so. I didn't even consider crossing barefoot...the stream bottoms are extremely slick and I'd worry about falling or having my foot slip in between rocks causing a serious foot or toe injury. I never carry camp shoes, so that wasn't an option. Having 2 hiking poles for stability helped big time!

treesloth
10-11-2012, 12:55
4 ounces..........

Hikerboy.. is that according to your scale? Certainly not trying to argue but Zappos puts them at 6oz.

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 12:56
"crocs are sexy" said no one....EVAR!!!!

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 13:00
RCBear...it is a good thing i am tough...my little croc wearing, flavored coffee drinker... i'll carry you across ...

hikerboy57
10-11-2012, 13:01
Hikerboy.. is that according to your scale? Certainly not trying to argue but Zappos puts them at 6oz.

i actualy bought the ultra pure model. 4 oz.

Rasty
10-11-2012, 13:07
RCBear...it is a good thing i am tough...my little croc wearing, flavored coffee drinker... i'll carry you across ...

Crocs are acceptable but flavored coffee really?:D

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 13:12
Crocs are acceptable but flavored coffee really?:D

i can't take him anywhere ;)

HikerMom58
10-11-2012, 13:14
"crocs are sexy" said no one....EVAR!!!!

:sun.............................................N OT EVAR!! Laughing Out Loud!!

HikerMom58
10-11-2012, 13:17
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Rastyhttp://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1347580#post1347580)Crocs are acceptable but flavored coffee really?:D

i can't take him anywhere ;)

No, you can't ...EVAR!! ;)

treesloth
10-11-2012, 13:17

I do stand corrected. Found the "ultra pure model" on Zappos as well. I shall consider these. Thanks for the info.

http://www.zappos.com/vivobarefoot-ultra-pure-red?zlfid=111&recoName=zap_pdp_sub#prdInfo

I've only had to do one ford in my new backpacking career so far, but it wasn't that deep. I've been researching shoes that can double as a camp/ford shoe. If you read one of my earlier posts on this subject, Crocs were not on that list of considerations. And never will be. Here's what I WAS considering:

http://www.zappos.com/vivobarefoot-ultra-pure-red?zlfid=111&recoName=zap_pdp_sub#prdInfo

Simple flip-flops, but with a Vibram sole. I did end up buying them, they're great regardless of anything else. I figured I'd take one of those mini bungee cords, put the hook in one of the holes on one side of the upper, and wrap around the back of my foot and hook in on the other side. I tried it and it worked well in theory (the flops stayed securely on my foot for the 'shake' test), but I wonder how something like that would do in an intense ford. Now, I guess I don't have to worry about it. Those Vivos are lighter and will lace up. Brilliant. Excellent reviews too!

hikerboy57
10-11-2012, 13:20
they have an added benefit you can either roll them up or just hang them outside you pack.

Tuxedo
10-11-2012, 13:33
03' I used Waldies comfy camp and good for fording they were the precursor to Crocs

next hike I'll buy Sockwa (http://www.sockwa.com/) the owner is a 03' section hiker I met and the footwear design is for Beach athletic, weighs next to nothing

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 13:37
(http://www.zappos.com/vivobarefoot-ultra-pure-red?zlfid=111&recoName=zap_pdp_sub#prdInfo)Simple flip-flops, but with a Vibram sole. I did end up buying them, they're great regardless of anything else. I figured I'd take one of those mini bungee cords, put the hook in one of the holes on one side of the upper, and wrap around the back of my foot and hook in on the other side. I tried it and it worked well in theory (the flops stayed securely on my foot for the 'shake' test), but I wonder how something like that would do in an intense ford. Now, I guess I don't have to worry about it. Those Vivos are lighter and will lace up. Brilliant. Excellent reviews too!

you can always duck tape em? now that would be a good look B)

treesloth
10-11-2012, 13:41

I'm sure! In fact, I could wrap the entirety of both my feet with duct tape, would STILL look way better than Crocs. :-)

snifur
10-11-2012, 13:42
never cross barefoot. protect your feet. you dont want to end your hike early if you could have prevented it. i have owned the same pare of cheap wlmart crock/waldies for 2 years and 1 thruhike. they work fine. on different note i would food cache if you are planning on 11 days for the 100 mile wilderness to lighten the load and enjoy your hike more. and it will give you an objective to reach every few days if you put something special in it to treat yourself.

Odd Man Out
10-11-2012, 13:43
Here's an article about one model. It says 3.8 oz without the liner.

http://www.runblogger.com/2011/05/terra-plana-vivobarefoot-ultra-review.html

HikerMom58
10-11-2012, 13:46
Feral Bill...your profile pic cracks me up :D ...and those are what i was thinking about...along the same line...just wonder about the weight?

Feral Bill...your profile pic cracks me up :D----- I know, right!?! :P

Maybe?- not so much...:eek:

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 13:47
03' I used Waldies comfy camp and good for fording they were the precursor to Crocs

next hike I'll buy Sockwa (http://www.sockwa.com/) the owner is a 03' section hiker I met and the footwear design is for Beach athletic, weighs next to nothing

that is EXACTLY what i was looking for... and i had never heard of this brand...thanks!!

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 13:51
on different note i would food cache if you are planning on 11 days for the 100 mile wilderness to lighten the load and enjoy your hike more. and it will give you an objective to reach every few days if you put something special in it to treat yourself.

thanks for the idea...perhaps a few beers could be a treat ?!? :D

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 13:52
Feral Bill...your profile pic cracks me up :D----- I know, right!?! :P

Maybe?- not so much...:eek:

hehehe....EVAR!!!!

Feral Bill
10-11-2012, 13:53
Feral Bill...your profile pic cracks me up :D ...and those are what i was thinking about...along the same line...just wonder about the weight? A bit over a pound, IIRC. Worth it if you use them as camp and town shoes, too.

snifur
10-11-2012, 13:54
abso-freak'en-lootely you may have a drink as "treat"! and i will even let you share your treat with me!

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 13:55
I'm sure! In fact, I could wrap the entirety of both my feet with duct tape, would STILL look way better than Crocs. :-)

agreed... i am still embarassed that i said a pair of crocs were cool....did i say that outloud??!!?? are you sure it was me?!? did i mention i was abducted by aliens about 20 mins ago??!!?

msupple
10-11-2012, 14:29
I do stand corrected. Found the "ultra pure model" on Zappos as well. I shall consider these. Thanks for the info.

I've only had to do one ford in my new backpacking career so far, but it wasn't that deep. I've been researching shoes that can double as a camp/ford shoe. If you read one of my earlier posts on this subject, Crocs were not on that list of considerations. And never will be. Here's what I WAS considering:

Simple flip-flops, but with a Vibram sole. I did end up buying them, they're great regardless of anything else. I figured I'd take one of those mini bungee cords, put the hook in one of the holes on one side of the upper, and wrap around the back of my foot and hook in on the other side. I tried it and it worked well in theory (the flops stayed securely on my foot for the 'shake' test), but I wonder how something like that would do in an intense ford. Now, I guess I don't have to worry about it. Those Vivos are lighter and will lace up. Brilliant. Excellent reviews too!

I love my Ultra Pures. They cinch up real tight for stream crossing, are very light weight, take up less room than Crocs and are super comfy when worn loosely around camp. I've crossed a few streams with them...they will not come off.

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 14:33
abso-freak'en-lootely you may have a drink as "treat"! and i will even let you share your treat with me!

thank goodness RCBear doesn't drink...more for the rest of us :)

treesloth
10-11-2012, 14:36
agreed... i am still embarassed that i said a pair of crocs were cool....did i say that outloud??!!?? are you sure it was me?!? did i mention i was abducted by aliens about 20 mins ago??!!?

It's already documented on WB servers that you said that. ;-) Well, we abused the threads here pretty good, but that's ok, it was your OP anyways, G-bear! :) Thanks to you and everyone else who chimed in, I definitely learned a few things.

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 14:46
It's already documented on WB servers that you said that. ;-) Well, we abused the threads here pretty good, but that's ok, it was your OP anyways, G-bear! :) Thanks to you and everyone else who chimed in, I definitely learned a few things.

i like learnin and laughing...and not necessarily in that order...it was fun :)

AjR
10-11-2012, 14:55

I had a fording situation in my merrel's, I didn't even take my socks off, and it was about mid 50's high sixties, and my feet dried quick, never got cold, and never blistered. That's why I swear by those shoes....

Blissful
10-11-2012, 14:58
Bring crocs. I had no issue at all fording in Maine both times. The only way I can see them falling off is if you are in white water, and that is PCT stuff.
The idea of getting your boots wet and having them stay wet day after day (and they will), no fun.

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 15:18
I had a fording situation in my merrel's, I didn't even take my socks off, and it was about mid 50's high sixties, and my feet dried quick, never got cold, and never blistered. That's why I swear by those shoes....

LOVE to hear that!!!! my merrell hiking boots are like wearing velvet and just about as light... love them... but you were talking about the shoes, right?

gizzy bear
10-11-2012, 15:19
The idea of getting your boots wet and having them stay wet day after day (and they will), no fun.

blissful...EXACTLY what i am hoping to avoid...when i can...

Feral Bill
10-11-2012, 15:51
[QUOTE=
The idea of getting your boots wet and having them stay wet day after day (and they will), no fun.[/QUOTE]
I've done this. The squishy reality is no fun either.

hikerboy57
10-11-2012, 15:55
try one boot and one croc and see which works best:)

colorado_rob
10-11-2012, 15:55
Crocs are great, but they do weigh 11 ounces (well, mine do). Doesn't sound like a ton, but it adds up, and if you have comfy hiking shoes there is no additional need for crocs (like in camp). So my recent M.O. is two-fold, depending on how gnarly the water crossing is. (I simply cannot cross anything but smooth sand or mud in bare feet)

For a relative gentle one, I simply take the opportunity to launder my socks, meaning take shoes off, leave socks on and cross. On the other side, rinse out socks, wring, hang to dry on back of pack and put on 2nd pair of (dry) socks and hike on. It is suprising how much "support" and traction I get just having socks on.

For more gnarly crossings where great traction is important, I simply remove my socks and the foot beds / liners, put bare shoes on and cross, get as much water off the shoes as possible, then put dry liners back in and dry socks back on then Hike On. Much less water absorbed this way and my lightweight boots dry fairly well and fast, of course depending on the weather and such.

so bottom line: no extra water shoes. It ain't worth the weight IMHO. Just my way.

Namaste
10-11-2012, 16:02
Crocs have worked for me in deep, fast flowing waters but I've worn boots many times especially in Maine.

Feral Bill
10-11-2012, 17:15
try one boot and one croc and see which works best:) No way! You'll end up going in circles.

hikerboy57
10-11-2012, 17:19
No way! You'll end up going in circles.
that changes nothing. ive been going around in circles for years. somebody point me north!my stupid compass needle keeps pointing south instead of north!:)

YohonPetro
10-11-2012, 17:31
I hated Crocs, sent them home after a few weeks. I went barefoot on the fords. It's all a matter of personal preference... Just like 99% of other gear choices!

cabbagehead
10-11-2012, 18:28
The swim shoes are worth the weight because I often hike in them. Get a thin pair of water shoes and remove the insoles. Mine are lighter than Crocs. I also carry regular shoes. Right now I have Merrel Geomorph Stretch shoes. I hike barefoot, in water shoes, or in hiking shoes depending on the terrain.

wnderer
10-11-2012, 19:42
I have neoprene scuba socks. I don't usually carry them in the summer but I use them in cold weather. I don't think they weigh much more then normal socks.

hikerboy57
10-11-2012, 20:39
have you tried soaking your feet in tea first?

swjohnsey
10-11-2012, 21:13
Unless you are gonna stop and put on your Crocs every time you get to a boggy spot your boots/shoes are gonna be wet, 'specially the first couple of days of the 100 mile wilderness. The rivers bottoms are rocky and very slick. I wouldn't risk goin' barefoot. It would be nice if the folks in Maine could figure out this bridge thang.

Darwin13
10-12-2012, 18:35
not a good idea. the rocks are slippery, and you will stub your toes.
instead of crocs, i used vivobarefoot shoes for camp shoes, had intended to use them for crossings, but ended up just weraing my shoes.

well i would argue that I have been using this technique so I am assuming you are specifically refering to the rivers in Maine and in that case I would say thank you because I have no knowledge of those rivers.

hikerboy57
10-12-2012, 19:19
well i would argue that I have been using this technique so I am assuming you are specifically refering to the rivers in Maine and in that case I would say thank you because I have no knowledge of those rivers.
these are not sandy bottoms. maine is like one giant glacial moraine with roots bogs and streams thrown in.the footing on"dry" ground is bad enough.

LDog
10-12-2012, 19:30
4 ounces..........

I'm pretty sure I have these same shoes - Vivobarefoot ultra w/o inserts - and on my scale they weigh 4 ozs each. Still damned light but not 4 ozs/pr ...

I left them home after hiking through GA and NC, and wished I had them in Maine for the 7 or so river fords there ...

dmperkins74
10-13-2012, 09:25
I haven't gotten up there yet or had any significant fording to do, but was pretty much assuming I'd just bring crocs. No WAY I want to hike in soaking wet boots if I can avoid it. Crocs are really light and also good for camp. I think it's worth the weight.

swjohnsey
10-13-2012, 09:30
Fording is just part of the problem. They haven't figured out the bog bridge thang in Maine, either. Your boots will get soaked.

jeffmeh
10-13-2012, 10:35

My Vivo Barefoot Ultra Pures weigh 8.4 oz. for the pair, size 10.5-11. I do recommend them. Just don't try to walk through a mowed down field of thorn bushes with them, lol. The sole is very thin.

ParkRat09
10-13-2012, 23:54

Take the insoles out too! One more dry thing when you put your boots back on

Dogwood
10-14-2012, 01:22
August. Hot/very warm. 11 days for 100 miles probably not but you should know best what your MPD will be. I would take shoes that not only would be used for fords but something I could also hike in for the day(that's it, one pair does it all!) especially considering if you experience an all day deluge like I experienced for two days in 2006 in the 100 mile wilderness. There's no way I could have kept my feet dry with WP boots or WP Trail Runners during those two days, even with WP gaiters and WP rain pants. What if you too encounter all day or heavy rain? Your boots and feet are going to get wet. Under those conditions, you are now hauling two pairs of shoes, one of which will probably be heavy hiking boots that you will be trying to keep dry. Since it should be warm out in Aug don't fight the inevitable. Hike in the rain with shoes that will get wet. Think sandals(Chacos, Keens, Crocs, Reef Walkers/Slippers/Booties(made by Oneill, Wave Rebel, West Marine, Rip Curl , etc, usually less than $20!) etc or highly breathable non-WP typically fast drying Trail Runners). Put a merino wool sock on first that you know is going to get wet and just hike in the rain in sandals without getting frustrated trying to keep your feet dry under such circumstances. The same could be said about the non-WP typically fast drying Trail Runners. Just let them get wet. Since it's Aug you are going to experience some sun to dry those wet Trail Runners out. Bring two prs of socks. One pair you will hike in which you know will get wet under an all day rain and the other dry pr is for in camp. Also, considering you are anticipating hiking short/shorter mile days(about 10 MPD Avg) hiking at a very moderate pace during a time of the yr when days are still long AND you keep your pack wt down sandals might work very well for you. You could also go with a Neoprene water sock such as made by NPS, Seirus Cabelas, Oneill etc and others with your sandals if you want more warmth on your feet. These can also be had for about $15-$40. BUT, the scenario I've described is all based on the weather report scouting that I know you will do just before you set off on your 100 mile trek! If no rain is in the forecast take your boots if you must and some Crocs or Reef Walkers/Slippers for fords or just do the fords bare footed or with a Neoprene sock. The Crocs, Reef Walkers/Slippers, Neoprene socks double as camp shoes.

Dogwood
10-14-2012, 01:33
If wt of your camp/fording shoes/socks are a concern know that I've weighed Neoprene shortie 1/4 ankle socks with no harder rubber sole that weigh slightly less than 5 oz in XL size. I have size 14 feet. I have a pair of cheapy(about $10-20 in Hawaii) Wally World Reef Walkers/Slippers/Water shoes with the harder better traction rubber sole with Neoprene rands and open mesh uppers that weigh a tad over 5 oz in size 14!