PDA

View Full Version : Damascus to 603 Fox Creek VA

Hiking Man
10-11-2012, 12:57
I am starting one of my fall section hikes this Saturday from Damascus to fox creek. I have everything planed out and ready to go, but I don't really want to stay at the Thomas Knob shelter. I want to camp just north of it at rhododendron gap. I hear there are a spring in this area, but not sure how easy it will be to find? If someone could put some light as to where this spring is located in rhododendron gap I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Lone Wolf
10-11-2012, 13:03
there are great open campsites about 300 yards before rhododendron gap on your right. if you walk out directly in back of any one of the sites you'll run into the crest horse trail. go right on the trail you'll see a small sign pointing to a spring which is fenced in and gushing

Creek Dancer
10-11-2012, 15:03
ahhh...great section. Yup, there are plenty of great campsites just south and north of Thomas Knob Shelter. If you can't find the spring Lone Wolf described, you can always get water at the shelter water source and then find a campsite.

schnikel
10-11-2012, 21:46
Yep, LW is right on. Just before the gap head east till you hit the other trail and close by off the trail is a small sign that leads to the spring. It is further down the hill to the right.
Schnikel

Local
10-11-2012, 22:05
What Wolf and Schnikel say. Here's a photo of the sign.

Hiking Man
10-12-2012, 19:38
Thanks everyone for the help!