PDA

View Full Version : Asolo Fugitive...Any experiences?

JustADude
10-11-2012, 13:56
Asolo Fugitive...Any experiences?

Mine have been good...thinking about using my REI 20% off coupon on another pair of these...

1st pair was great...takes a little while to dry out, but not too bad...and think I've worn out the internal gortex

Thanks for any other thoughts...

Rocket Jones
10-11-2012, 16:23
I like mine. When they wear out I'm going to trail runners.

kofritz
10-11-2012, 16:47
just bought 2 new pairs. i did use the rei 20% discount but it takes away the dividend. these 2 new pairs may last my last AT section hikes through vermont, new Hampshire and Maine...

leaftye
10-11-2012, 17:24
Didn't Asolo used to make their boots in Italy, or at least their better boots? SierraTradingPost says the Fugitive is made in China, Romania and the Ukraine. There have been quality issues with Asolo in the past few years, and I suspect that it's from their boots made in China. In any case, it's good that you're buying them from REI to protect you against questionable quality.

Also, if these worked well for you, that's really all that matters...so long as what you buy now is the same as what you had before.

globetruck
12-02-2012, 17:17
I've worn the Hungarian Asolo Fugitives. Honestly, I love them except for one thing - they have a narrow footbox and destroy my middle toes.

I really wish they fit me though.

Tipi Walter
12-02-2012, 17:38
Asolo Fugitive...Any experiences?

Mine have been good...thinking about using my REI 20% off coupon on another pair of these...

1st pair was great...takes a little while to dry out, but not too bad...and think I've worn out the internal gortex

Thanks for any other thoughts...

It's pretty much all I ever use nowadays, unless I go to the 520's for hard winter treks or the lighter FSN 95's for summer. The Fugitives fit well and for me are very comfy. They don't last more than a couple years per pair but then I'm hard on boots. They're a sight better than my old Limmer lightweights. I recommend getting the Wide version as when they freeze solid they can be painful to walk in unless you get a little wider footbed.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2008/Trip-72/i-45v4Pjc/0/L/Trip%2072%20120-L.jpg

haileydp
04-11-2013, 20:00
Yeah. They hold more water than a swimming pool. I wore them around for a few months before starting my through hike in Maine. I had gnarly blisters after 45 miles and luckily found a pair of worn out Merrills in the 100 mile wilderness someone had left at a shelter. Without a doubt they saved my toes. I still had to pull off the trail shortly after Monson. Those boots are brutal. I have worn Merrills ever since.

The Ace
04-11-2013, 23:12
I like these boots for shorter hikes in winter. They are well constructed for their weight and are comfortable -- at least as far as midweight boots go. They have always kept my feet completely dry. I suspect that if the inside did get wet, it would take a very long time for them to dry out, so I have not used them on longer hikes. The toe box does squeeze my middle toes -- probably should have gone with a wide. I have noticed that the tread, which has a good grip, wears a good bit faster than I think it should. They serve their purpose; I could do a lot worse. In all other weather I prefer, by far, non-Gortex low cut well-ventilated hiking shoes.

writeronthestorm
04-23-2013, 18:27
I used to own a pair but ended up selling them. At first I thought they were great for the shorter hikes I was doing, but after I upped my mileage they caused my feet a lot of pain. Eventually I just used them for day hiking in winter or very wet/muddy conditions, which is what I think they are best for. They were actually the last boot I ever purchased. I have since switched to shoes.