PDA

View Full Version : Wood burning stoves for small camp fire

88BlueGT
10-11-2012, 16:36
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a wood burning stand to use for primarily making small fires without the hassle of creating a fire ring, having clean up, etc. Just looking for something to contain a small fire to keep me company by my tent, provide minimal warmth and some light.

I was also considering getting the Evernew Ti Wood stove. Can anyone provide pictures of this stand (link below) against something so I can get an accurate idea of how big this is? If anyone wants to see this stand here is the link.http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/more_gear/

If anyone has any other suggestions that would be great! I may end up buying something that I can throw my pepsi can stove into as well and double as a pot stand/windscreen.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Slo-go'en
10-11-2012, 16:49
Anything small enough and light enough to carry is going to take near constant attention to keep a fire going in it, as it will only burn small sticks. Okay for cooking a meal and warming your hands for a bit, but that's about all it will be useful for.

88BlueGT
10-11-2012, 16:51
True, I'm not looking for something to burn for hours. As you said, just something to keep my company (don't mind feeding the fire) and provide small warmth.

Depending on what kind of setup, maybe too use for cooking.

leaftye
10-11-2012, 17:42
With any stove, the area should be prepped. Canister and alcohol stoves tip over, wood stoves drop embers. You still have to clear a spot.

Had to say that. Sorry.

QiWiz, a member here, makes titanium wood stoves that pack flat and have optional floors that I think would make clean up easier.

http://qiwiz.net/stoves.html

He has at least one thread on this forum about his stove.

Uncle Walkie
10-11-2012, 18:20
I have the Bushbudy Ultra...check it out, it's great for both cooking and the "camp fire feel", I love it.

http://www.bushbuddy.ca/indexs.html

Starchild
10-11-2012, 19:16
I would suggest trying to make one first, see how big a stove you would need for what you want to do. As mentioned above maintaining a small fire can mean constant attention which gets old fast. Your needs for fire, basically companionship, are different then for cooking, you would require a long burning fire, while for cooking you need a hot fire for a short time. Far different needs and a small fire in a stove seems far more suitable for cooking then keeping you company.

kayak karl
10-11-2012, 19:32
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a wood burning stand to use for primarily making small fires without the hassle of creating a fire ring, having clean up, etc. Just looking for something to contain a small fire to keep me company by my tent, provide minimal warmth and some light.

I was also considering getting the Evernew Ti Wood stove. Can anyone provide pictures of this stand (link below) against something so I can get an accurate idea of how big this is? If anyone wants to see this stand here is the link.http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/more_gear/

If anyone has any other suggestions that would be great! I may end up buying something that I can throw my pepsi can stove into as well and double as a pot stand/windscreen.

what kind of tent are you putting this in? i won't even have a wood fire near my hammock tarp.

kayak karl
10-11-2012, 19:33
never-mind. should of put on my glasses. BY MY TENT :)

Slosteppin
10-11-2012, 19:49
I've been using a Solo Stove this summer I've been very happy with it. I have also used a Bushbuddy that belongs to a friend. The Solo weighs 9 oz while the Bushbuddy weighs 5 oz. I paid $69 for the Solo, the Bushbuddy is about twice the price. I can find no difference in use. In Rainy weather when I use the Solo under my hammock tarp I use Esbit tabs.
I always clear the area unless I can set the stove on rock or sand. If I want a longer burning fire I use sticks about twice the length and thickness of my thumb. Brittle (break with a snap) dead spruce or pine branches are great for starting the fire. Most hardwoods are better for longer burning. OTOH, I have picked up enough sticks in a heavily used campsite for coffee and soup.

moldy
10-11-2012, 19:59
This is what I use. It an Appalachian Trail flame thrower, take a 2 pound coffee can. Punch 10 thumb size holes all around on the sides. With a wire coat hanger make a "paint can handle". Even on a rainy day it works well. I pick up a few pine cones during the day. If it's raining and everything is wet I pry some bark off large trees, it's dry on the inside. Here is how it works. Pack it full of pine cones and wood. Light it through one of the thumb sized holes. After it gets going, clip or tie a small rope or cord to the handle. Start swinging it over your head at arms length, the faster you spin it the more air you force into the fire. In 15 seconds it's roaring. I put it down stuff in some more wood then put my cookong pot on top. In a race last year with a propane stove from light to boil I won by 3 minutes. By packing it with pine cones you get much more BTU's than gas. In fire season be careful to not let go of the rope when swinging. It's great for section hiking. After about a week the metal in the can will start to fail and crumple up.

mateozzz
10-11-2012, 20:27
Outside of Kent, CT I met a slightly touched homeless lady who put tea candles in a pie pan in her tent so she could read. Worked fine except for all the spark holes, the hole in the floor from the spilled wax, and the 2nd degree burns on her hand from said wax. Plus the extra warmth and C02 made it easier to sleep (and then knock over the candle).

snifur
10-11-2012, 20:34
ha ha ...i am picturing moldy swinging a flaming coffee can over his head... ha ha

Rasty
10-11-2012, 20:46
Look at the Caldera titanium stoves. Alcohol, wood or esbit tablets. I'm using half the amount of alcohol versus the stove I made.

xokie
10-11-2012, 20:53
Zombie uses a 1 gal. diy hobo stove in which all his cooking gear fits. Makes a cool campfire when a campfire is not otherwise indicated. Also cooks pretty well.

88BlueGT
10-11-2012, 21:24
Well I certainly don't want to spend $100 for a little fire action lol that's for sure. Seems that my best bet is to make something, even if it doesn't last long.

Can anyone comment on superior designs? I know its a simple setup but I'm sure there's a few out there.

Danl
10-11-2012, 22:53
Evernew Ti Wood stove. I believe this stove to be a wee bit smaller in diameter and height of a 2lb coffee can. It is the stove i fashioned my myog stove

Slo-go'en
10-12-2012, 01:10
Pretty much any tin can can be made into a hobo style wood stove. The bigger the can, the bigger the fire you can make in it. Go to youtube and search for camping wood stoves and you'll find all kinds of ideas on how to make one.

I used a dinty more beef stew can for one I made. I drilled a whole bunch of 1/4" holes near the bottom to let the air in and a whole bunch of 3/4" holes near the top to let the flames out (as this would be primarly a cooking stove with a pot set on top of it). Works well enough.

SassyWindsor
10-12-2012, 01:15
I use a modified Sierra titanium zip stove. Have been for years.

perrymk
10-12-2012, 07:27
You might like a Kelly Kettle, a version of a traditional storm kettle (in case you want to google the concept). Check out kellykettle.com or kellykettleusa.com. The downside is the lightest version weighs 1.3lbs. The upside is they use wood, probably could use an alcohol stove, and you'd have a warm bottle of water to keep in the tent. Careful though, that bottle will start off HOT.

OzJacko
10-12-2012, 07:55
I have the Evernew stove but found the wood burning option very limited due to it's size and only "played" with it.
I now also have the TiTri Caldera Cone and consider the wood burning a very viable option.
Both have inherent risks (particularly the way the cone grips a pot and can lift with it) and should be used with a great deal of caution and common sense.
I believe for a wood burning only stove the Bush Buddy (or the Sierra fan forced one) would be better options.

beachbunny
10-12-2012, 09:39
bushbuddy (classic twig burner),emberlite (burns longer sticks but ashes and coals can fall out),kelly kettle( heavy alum but work great,varied capacity),boilerwerks (which are extremely light, boils 2 cups of water and can burn alcohol but i have not tried that yet) got em all and use them for different setups

88BlueGT
10-12-2012, 11:55
SWEET! I'm at work at the moment so don't have much time to look into the different setup's. I definitely have something to do tonight though :)

Keep the suggestions rolling...

Montana
10-12-2012, 17:48
Outside of Kent, CT I met a slightly touched homeless lady who put tea candles in a pie pan in her tent so she could read. Worked fine except for all the spark holes, the hole in the floor from the spilled wax, and the 2nd degree burns on her hand from said wax. Plus the extra warmth and C02 made it easier to sleep (and then knock over the candle).

Given how flammable tents are and the dangers of carbon-monoxide, candles inside the tent sounds like a horribly bad idea.

I don't have one of these yet, but the BioLite CampStove (http://biolitestove.com/) looks pretty awesome for us technophiles.

Grinder
10-14-2012, 20:11
I have a DIY bushbuddy. Parts cost about $5.00. I got a good soup lunch in the deal .

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32714

88BlueGT
10-14-2012, 20:22
Montana, I have seen that somewhere online before and that's definitely a sweet stove/gadget! One major drawback... weight! Unfortunately, I've spent way too much money crunching oz's to turn around and throw it all away on a stove LOL. But I do like the suggestion, thank you!

Grinder, the stove looks great. Do you have a DIY page or tutorial for this?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

PD230SOI
10-14-2012, 22:03
I was given a Honey Stove as a gift.

burns wood, esbit, or your alky stove fits inside. It's not cheap, but it burns all three fuels well, packs flat and you only carry the parts you need.

Half Note
10-14-2012, 22:59
This is my favorite wood stove:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_3xDqzEgzE

Such an ingenious idea. Fun to make to boot.

QiWiz
10-15-2012, 09:55
This little beauty is my favorite. Click on image to see a big pic. Course I'm biased . . .

grayfox
10-15-2012, 10:57
Hey guys,

During the time hikers were transitioning from using open fires to using stoves, there were many designs for 'fire pans' available. Usually they were metal bowls and some folded up like the perferated vegetable steamers made of stainless steel. I have not seen this sort of thing being sold lately. There are also 'fire cloths' made of fiberglass cloth that are meant to protect the ground by covering them with dirt and then placing a small fire on top of the dirt. Another option for you might be the small aluminum pan designed to collect any embers that fall through the bottom vents of Webber charcoal grills, you can find them as replacement parts at most stores that sell the grills. You might be able to use this sort of thing for making a wood stove safer. Most places that allow fires have fire rings though.

OldStormcrow
10-15-2012, 11:16
I have the Evernew stove but found the wood burning option very limited due to it's size and only "played" with it.
I now also have the TiTri Caldera Cone and consider the wood burning a very viable option.
Both have inherent risks (particularly the way the cone grips a pot and can lift with it) and should be used with a great deal of caution and common sense.
I believe for a wood burning only stove the Bush Buddy (or the Sierra fan forced one) would be better options.
I have an old Sierra stove that I used to take on trips in the Smokies, where the floors of the shelters are carpeted with wood chips and bits left from generations of campers. I found that I could start it with a couple of pine cones and it would burn small sticks, pine bark chunks, pine cones, buffalo chips, etc. that I gathered during my hike in. They are fun where campfires are not allowed, are fairly lightweight and boil water really quickly, but make an awful mess of your cooking pot. I always kept my cooking pot in a gallon zip lock afterwards to avoid getting lampblack/soot all over everything.

unclemjm
10-15-2012, 11:31
You've been given a lot of good options above. I have several wood burners, including the BushBuddy, (my favorite for cooking), Emberlit Ti, some home made ones from cans, and some other commercial ones as well. Of all that I have though the one that in my opinion fits the bill for your campfire alternative, is the Folding Woodgaz Stove (http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/woodgaz-folding-backpacking-stove.php) built by Zelph, (or StovemanDan depending on the forum). It packs simply, works great, and with the screen sides, all of the fire is visable for that campfire appeal. It's worth the cost if it does what you want.

Grinder
10-16-2012, 15:05
Grinder, the stove looks great. Do you have a DIY page or tutorial for this?

ask and ye shall receive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-xJxJthwuk

There are several others search utube for bushbuddy stove DIY

88BlueGT
10-16-2012, 15:36
Awesome! Thanks a lot Grinder.

leaftye
10-16-2012, 18:08
I'm kicking myself for not picking this up from off my watch list.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160865554613

88BlueGT
10-16-2012, 18:21
Jeeze, $7 bucks! I'd kick myself too! LOL

Seldomseen
10-16-2012, 20:02
In 98 when I flipped I used 3 tent stakes to support pot (also for tent), a wind screen, firestarter sticks, and a few twigs. It was almost like a negative stove weight and it worked perfectly.

Wise Old Owl
10-16-2012, 20:27
I use a modified Sierra titanium zip stove. Have been for years.

Uh OK how do you like it and why?

Wise Old Owl
10-16-2012, 20:33
Given how flammable tents are and the dangers of carbon-monoxide, candles inside the tent sounds like a horribly bad idea.

I don't have one of these yet, but the BioLite CampStove (http://biolitestove.com/) looks pretty awesome for us technophiles.

Quite a few have taken a pass on this... how long are you going to keep a fire going to charge a phone and carry two pounds?

Its not bad as a group we thought it through on a earlier thread... What are your thoughts?

Wise Old Owl
10-16-2012, 20:43
You might like a Kelly Kettle, a version of a traditional storm kettle (in case you want to google the concept). Check out kellykettle.com or kellykettleusa.com. The downside is the lightest version weighs 1.3lbs. The upside is they use wood, probably could use an alcohol stove, and you'd have a warm bottle of water to keep in the tent. Careful though, that bottle will start off HOT.

I am only a gram weenie on solar power, but the recommendation on 2.15 or more lbs I have to take a pass.

Hosaphone
10-17-2012, 17:44
Another big +1 for the ti tri caldera cone. Yes it's pricey, but it just seems to fit the bill so perfectly. You can save on space and weight by ditching your other stove. Cook with alcohol if you're in a hurry, cook with wood if you have time, or just use it as a mini fire pit. Multi-use is good. Also, you can use some of the alcohol you'll be carrying anyways to help start fires if it's wet out.

The DIY bushbuddy is badass and I might make one just for fun... But it doesn't make sense to carry something like that AND another cooking system.

88BlueGT
10-17-2012, 18:11
I agree. I'm heading out this Saturday, I may try to make one before I leave.

Wise Old Owl
10-17-2012, 20:33
Sassy please PM me and allow me to send a reply!

Hosaphone
10-19-2012, 02:32
Maybe still more money than you want to spend, but I just saw this on the BPL gear swap. Guy selling a lightly used ti tri caldera plus 900ml ti pot for $85. Fwiw:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=67553

OzJacko
10-19-2012, 02:44
Re the black soot etc on pots from all stoves not just wood burning ones.
If you search pot cozy on You Tube you get several people showing how to make very light insulated foil cozies that I cannot recommend highly enough.
They allow you to bring a pot to boil and then place in the cozy to "simmer", saving fuel or freeing the stove up to make a hot drink.
They also cover the dirty outside of the pot when storing in your pack (and cut down on clanking etc).
They are totally a win/win addition to any pot except the jetboil types.

88BlueGT
10-19-2012, 10:42
^^ definitely not a bad idea. There have been a few times when its cold that my food goes 'warm' in a few minutes before I'm finished eating. It's not THAT bid of a deal but it would be nice to have a cozy. I will look into making one.

Thanks for the suggestion.

QiWiz
10-21-2012, 10:15
Hey guys,

An option you might consider if you just want a small LNT fire to feed your soul is to improvise a shallow basket out of a piece of hardware cloth that goes on top of a couple sticks on top of a piece of heavy-weight aluminum foil. The basket will contain and concentrate the fire and keep it small, the sticks underneath will improve airflow to the fire, and the aluminum foil will serve as a ground shield. The whole shebang should weigh about 3-4 ounces and could fold up flat. Cheap too. If you want to cook on this fire, you could push three ti skewer tent pegs through the basket into the ground (before starting the fire) and use them as your pot support.

OR you could get a nice woodburning backpack stove. I might know a good kind to get . . .

Bluefoot
12-08-2012, 19:58
Hey guys,

Noting first that this is an older thread - you might want to check out the Magic Flame - Swiss Made wood stove. Just Google "Magic Flame - wood stove". I got mine directly from Switzerland but I believe they are available at "Camp Saver". It can serve as a small camp fire unit for maybe two/three people. It can also be used with Trangia and Esbit alcohol stoves, and with Esbit solid fuel. My main use is with kayaking and winter camping where it weight (18-19 oz.) is less important than its flexibility and durability. It sets up in an instant i.e. no assembly required (a real plus in cool weather or when hands are wet and cold. Happy Trails.