PDA

View Full Version : Pack Size

MyFeetHurt
05-12-2005, 10:42
I'm looking at a March start to my hike and wanted to know what pack size you used. I'm thinking around 3500 cu. in. That should be plenty big don't ya think? I typically overpack for my regular weekend trips, but am really wanting to make myself limit the amount of weight I carry. No more than 40 lbs for sure, and I'm hoping after I get started, and figure out what I can live without, to get that down around 35.....

I know REI is having their big sale though the weekend, so I was gonna go shopping an wanted to be sure what to look for. Arc'Teryx makes a good pack, don't they????

thanks for any help......

-king

kentucky99
05-12-2005, 10:48
external kelty any one best bet for money and plenty of room:dance ky

tlbj6142
05-12-2005, 10:56
3200-3800ci (50L-60L) is more than enough space for a thru-hiker. You can get by with less, but doing so will require a bit effort with gear selection.

Arc'Teryx makes a great pack, but they are a bit overkill (and heavy) for thru-hiking. But, if you like the fit, get one. Also, check out Osprey Aether 60, Granite Gear's Vapor Trail and Nimbus Ozone. They are all very popular packs on the AT that can typically be found at your local outfitters.

If you have time this weekend, you might want to drive up to Damascus, VA for Trail Days. As there will be several vendors on-site showing their wears including those you don't typically find in stores. ULA P1/P2, Six Moon Designs, Gossamer Gear, Moonbow, etc.

MyFeetHurt
05-12-2005, 12:23
tanks for the great info. Unfortunately, I don't think I can make it up to VA this weekend.

I went to a seminar on thru-hiking the trail, and the guy leading it had used the Aether and loved it. I'm also going to look hard at that pack. Again, thanks for the info....

Peaks
05-12-2005, 16:29
Your pack should be the size needed to carry your gear, food, fuel, and water. So, first buy all of that stuff, and then take it all to your local outfitter and see what fits.

hikerjohnd
05-12-2005, 17:29
Your pack should be the size needed to carry your gear, food, fuel, and water. So, first buy all of that stuff, and then take it all to your local outfitter and see what fits.
Amen! I definitly agree your pack should be near the end of the list of things to buy! What if you get a 3500 cu bag and can't fit it all in? I took all my stuff to the outfitter and loaded about a dozen different packs to see how it all fit in.

--John

MyFeetHurt
05-13-2005, 11:06
Well if you guys are gonna start spoutin' common sense on me.....

Ha, yeah that sounds like the way to go. I'll hold off on the pack until I have all my gear. Thanks again hikers....

-king

tlbj6142
05-13-2005, 13:19
What if you get a 3500 cu bag and can't fit it all in?You are carrying way too much stuff, so keep the pack and get rid of a few things.:D

Honestly, if I can carry stuff for 3 people in a 3800ci pack for a 3-day trip, even the biggest comfort hound ought to be able to get their gear for one person for a 5-day trip into a 3500ci pack.

Coosa
05-22-2005, 23:32
Buy Lynne Whelden's video _Backpacking_Lightweight_Secrets_Revealed_ and watch it at least three times -- first to just learn, second to take notes, third to take better notes -- and THEN start gathering your equipment.