PDA

View Full Version : Food Stuff Sack

kayak karl
10-11-2012, 23:23
Looking for a new food bag. Want it light and able to carry 6 days of food. Thinking 9 liters? and able to hang upside down.

Size?
Weight ?
Material ?
Where to Buy?

Thank You,
KK

Rasty
10-11-2012, 23:45
Looking for a new food bag. Want it light and able to carry 6 days of food. Thinking 9 liters? and able to hang upside down.

Size?
Weight ?
Material ?
Where to Buy?

Thank You,
KK

Walmart three pack for less than $10. Light and sil nylon.

swjohnsey
10-11-2012, 23:52
Another vote for Walmart. I use a couple of their plastic bags.

jakedatc
10-12-2012, 00:24
http://www.probikekit.com/us/accessories/luggage-transport/panniers-luggage/exped-ultralite-waterproof-fold-dry-bag-13-litre.html

(coupon code Parcel10 for 10% off.. free shipping.. love PBK)
Roll top is nice.. keeps the water out, creates a handle and hanging point. push the air out and keep rolling it down as the food level drops.

Don H
10-12-2012, 07:20
For 6 days of food I would go with a 13L bag. I use Sea to Summit UL dry bags.

Turk6177
10-12-2012, 10:01
I just used a carbon fiber bag for a week in GA. It survived a pretty long rainstorm unscathed. I got it at http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/stuff_sacks.shtml. They have a bunch of sizes. I heard rodents do not like trying to chew through this material. Check them out. I liked the way mine worked a lot.

jakedatc
10-12-2012, 10:45
CUBEN fiber... carbon fiber is much different.

Kerosene
10-12-2012, 11:03
Another vote for the zPacks Cuben fiber food bag. I don't need a completely waterproof bag, but I did want something that would at least give the mice a hard time penetrating and was light (0.85 oz, 12.3L, fits up to 5 days of food for me).

HikerMom58
10-12-2012, 11:03
CUBEN fiber... carbon fiber is much different.

LOL... I was going to say that cuben fiber is the latest and greatest thing, I've been hearing about. I like the Walmart bags myself but I'm not a gram weenie. I hear the cuban fiber sacks are very expensive. I think I'll stick with the sil nylon from Walmart even if they are old school..... :p

jakedatc
10-12-2012, 11:25
I would not trust them against mice.. they will chew anything and Cuben isn't all that resistant to abrasion. still need to use normal precautions.

Karma13
10-12-2012, 11:42
I would not trust them against mice.. they will chew anything and Cuben isn't all that resistant to abrasion. still need to use normal precautions.

By normal precautions, you mean hanging?

I have a cuben bag as well as an Ursack Minor, and I'd really rather not take the Ursack if I can avoid it. (I'm talking about for a thru attempt next year.) That Ursack is heavy!

jakedatc
10-12-2012, 11:56
Yea.. don't just leave your bag on the floor of a shelter thinking that it is mice-proof.. it's not. if you read the quote on Zpacks site it says "there was damage, but they didn't get it" that was one time. there are also different thicknesses of Cuben.. their foodbag is made out of the heaviest version.

swjohnsey
10-12-2012, 12:02
I used some of Z-packs cuben stuff on my thru, small ditty bag, bag for cooking gear, "wallet", dry sack for sleeping bag, mitten covers and pack cover. Pack cover stood up well as did the mitten covers. Pack cover got quite a bit of use, mitten cover were used a couple of times. The dry sack and bag for cooking gear basically desintegrated. The small ditty bag and wallet both had holes but were still serviceable. Cuben has its place even on a thru-hike. I don't think stuff sacks are one of 'em.

Feral Bill
10-12-2012, 12:13
Perhaps we should get a grip. Its just a stuff sack. A couple of ounces at most. Anything will do the job just fine.

QiWiz
10-12-2012, 13:04
I'm a fan of the Ursack Minor.

jakedatc
10-12-2012, 13:17
Perhaps we should get a grip. Its just a stuff sack. A couple of ounces at most. Anything will do the job just fine.

True.. when you carry camp shoes that weigh over a pound a few ounces really doesn't show up on the radar...

some folks care about what they carry around with them though.

88BlueGT
10-12-2012, 13:32
Few oz's here and there eventually equal a pound!

hikerboy57
10-12-2012, 13:45
ursack makes odor proof bagliners that look and feel like HD freezer bags. I use these with a silnylon sae to summit sack.no mice, no bears, no worries.
i sleep with my food.

Feral Bill
10-12-2012, 14:23
True.. when you carry camp shoes that weigh over a pound a few ounces really doesn't show up on the radar... Actually, I don't carry camp shoes, just pointed out one alternative for fording

some folks care about what they carry around with them though. Maybe too much

Sugarfoot
10-12-2012, 19:36
Guess I'm hungrier than most. My food sack is an OR 20-liter sack. Also the draw string is relatively wide, making it easy to manage on bear poles.