PDA

View Full Version : Bear Rub @ Gooch

drbone
10-12-2012, 22:57
we were on 2nd night of a 4 day tues, hanging at Gooch. We went down the hill about as far as we could for a quieter than Hawk nite. There were 2 girls tenting about 50 yds above us. About 430am I woke up and was listening to what my brain thought was the girls snoring in a very wheezy weird pitch. As I lay there, I heard a rustling and noticed that the wheezing 'snore' was now right outside my hammock coming from my bro in law's hammock. I then heard footsteps and scraping noises and came awake pulling out my flashlight and trying to get up high enough from the hammock to see out. I was shining my light out thru the bug netting and heard footsteps trotting down the hill away from our camp. I stayed awake pretty much until first lite and as soon as I started unzipping my sleeping bag, Tim says, "we had a bear" I said I know, I heard him, and he says, "He woke me up by moving the hammock"! We had both put our packs, (minus all foods) under our hammocks and as the bear wanted to sniff out Tims pack, he simply moved the hanging hiker burrito out of his way. I could hear and smell him, but Tim was feeling his heat thru the hammock. When my flashlight started flashing light around, the bear left off down the hill. The two girls woke up and said, "did ya'll hear the bear this morning? We did.:eek: Tim said the bear was sniffing his pack but it sounded sick and was the weirdest wheezing I have heard from an animal.

Schooley
10-13-2012, 00:15
"it was a life changing experience"...we talked to you guys the next day on the trail. We are still talking about it!

drbone
10-13-2012, 10:36
Tim hung that night, between two giant rocks, so he had protection... lol17785

gizzy bear
10-15-2012, 18:42
I would just DIE!!!! I am not scared of much... But bears freak me out!!!!

gizzy bear
10-15-2012, 18:43
I am a pretend bear BTW....

dink
10-15-2012, 21:07
I think I would have wet the hammock!!!!

Altarboy
10-15-2012, 23:53
Yikes. Thanks, I'll be going through there next week. Note to self; no food in tent.

Suckerfish
10-16-2012, 08:51
Some people put their food as a pillow by their head. LOL...I doubt the bear would take a bite out of your head but imagine the feeling if you woke up with the bear next to your tree your hammock is on knowing your food is under your head. Why I hang my food, for peace of mind mostly.

Creek Dancer
10-16-2012, 09:47
See, this is why I simply cannot hammock. I just know something is going to come up at night and bite my arse! Ok, I know it's irrational, but I also know this stupid fear would keep me awake at night. I a waaaay safer in my tent. yeah, right!

gizzy bear
10-16-2012, 10:07
LOL!! clearly in a tent, the bear would need to knock on the flap and gain entrance that way....waaaaaay safer and EXACTLY why i don't wanna be a hanging piece of meat :) and i cannot fathom sleeping on my food...may as well throw a few gutted fish around my tent....NOT!!!

gizzy bear
10-16-2012, 10:08
I think I would have wet the hammock!!!!

no doubt i would have!!!!

HikerMom58
10-16-2012, 10:49
Haha!! Y'all are funny. I 2 share the bear freak out feelings big time. I'm not shy about sharing my feelings either. If a bear came into camp at night I would DIE. I have everyone camping around me informed about my "bear fear" at night. Once the sun goes down, I'm on high alert. It's funny cause most people that don't have the intense bear fear are happy to be a "bada** bear defender person".....LOL! "I'll save you"...... I LOVE it!!
I will say the more I'm out there the more comfortable I'm feeling with everything that goes bump in the night. But, I would NEVER EVER be out there alone. I can't even get my head around that thought.... thread drift. ;P

gizzy bear
10-16-2012, 11:16
Haha!! Y'all are funny. I 2 share the bear freak out feelings big time. I'm not shy about sharing my feelings either. If a bear came into camp at night I would DIE. I have everyone camping around me informed about my "bear fear" at night. Once the sun goes down, I'm on high alert. It's funny cause most people that don't have the intense bear fear are happy to be a "bada** bear defender person".....LOL! "I'll save you"...... I LOVE it!!
I will say the more I'm out there the more comfortable I'm feeling with everything that goes bump in the night. But, I would NEVER EVER be out there alone. I can't even get my head around that thought.... thread drift. ;P

i agree! i LOVE the outdoors and nature and i LOVE being out in it...but you can rest assured if i see a bear and there is no plexiglass or a moat between me and said bear.... it would nitrous oxide to catch up with me... i also have a special spastic dance i do when i walk thru an unseen spider web... i have no shame in my game... i LOVE being outside!!!!

Creek Dancer
10-16-2012, 11:31
LOL!! clearly in a tent, the bear would need to knock on the flap and gain entrance that way....waaaaaay safer and EXACTLY why i don't wanna be a hanging piece of meat :) and i cannot fathom sleeping on my food...may as well throw a few gutted fish around my tent....NOT!!!

Exactly! Waaay safer! haha

HikerMom58
10-16-2012, 11:58
i agree! i LOVE the outdoors and nature and i LOVE being out in it...but you can rest assured if i see a bear and there is no plexiglass or a moat between me and said bear.... it would nitrous oxide to catch up with me... i also have a special spastic dance i do when i walk thru an unseen spider web... i have no shame in my game... i LOVE being outside!!!!

Haha!! The spider web comment is great... you and my daughter are the same on that one... she is not freaked out by bear, mice, snakes or anything else but spiders... they hit a nerve with her. I bet she would join you in the special spastic dance... LOL! I agree with you gizzy bear.... LOVE being outside!! :)

gizzy bear
10-16-2012, 14:13
Haha!! The spider web comment is great... you and my daughter are the same on that one... she is not freaked out by bear, mice, snakes or anything else but spiders... they hit a nerve with her. I bet she would join you in the special spastic dance... LOL! I agree with you gizzy bear.... LOVE being outside!! :)

spiders are creepy mccreepers...yuck!!

drbone
12-11-2015, 02:27
I am a pretend bear BTW....

Headed back to the trail this spring and was taking a look back. Just saw this.
I'll tell Tim it was you under him. He is still a bit scared of hanging.