PDA

View Full Version : Gregory Baltoro 75

LIhikers
10-13-2012, 15:36
If anyone has opinions, information, experience or thoughts about a Gregory Baltoro 75 backpack I'd like to hear them.

Moose2001
10-13-2012, 16:06
I have one that I used for an AT thru. Very comfortable and has good support. A bit on the heavy side though....5 pounds I believe. Just all depends on what your plans with it are.

Maddog
10-13-2012, 16:21
I guess it just depends on what you're into, but at 6lbs it's too heavy for my me personally. My pack weighs 1lb! Maddog:D

RCBear
10-13-2012, 18:26
I would be curious for those that have used it, in hearing their comments as well. Its well established that it is a heavy pack, which is of no concern to me considering that I have no desire to carry less than 30 pounds on anything more than a 2 night outing. anything 65L and above is going to be way too heavy for an ultralighter anyways, so their perspective isn't really pertinent for this topic. Look forward to hearing from those that have used it!

LIhikers
10-13-2012, 23:28
I'm considering this pack for hiking in all 4 seasons. That means in winter I'm carry 3 sleeping bags ( 2 for me and 1 for our dog ) as well as large loads of food and water. In summer I don't need as much volume but my pack is still pretty heavy by some standards.

Sarcasm the elf
10-13-2012, 23:55
I have the older Baltoro 70 (http://www.gregorypacks.com/products/view/15), which is similar to the "75" so I thought my opinion might help:

When folks join this site and ask for an opinion on this pack, the first question that comes to mind is: What is your intended use for the pack?

My baltoro 70 is a serious load hauler, especially for an internal frame model. I use mine for a winter pack for mixed use hiking and commonly weight it down with 40-55lbs of gear, which it handles well and is exceptional for an internal frame pack, it could probably handle even more weight than this if needed, but my legs have about a 50lb pack limit. It has lots of bells and whistles (i.e. extra convenience and weight) and carries the load very well.

While I like this pack a lot, in my opinion I really do think that the Baltoro is overkill for three season hiking on the A.T., there's nothing wrong with it (and I passed a number of Nobo's and Sobo's this year using the Baltoro 65), but there are lighter weight options for a spring/summer thru hikes.

If on the other hand you are looking for a pack that is going to have some winter use, where you need room for extra warm cloths and enough of a suspension to handle snow shoes, ice axe, etc, it's a good choice.

One thing to note is that on my pack, (which again is a few years old and the design may have changed) the waist and shoulder straps are fairly rigid and won't conform to too many different body types, it fits me well, but if the current model is the same I'd recommend putting some weight in it and wearing it around the store for a while before buying it to make sure that it fits your body adequately.

Sarcasm the elf
10-13-2012, 23:58
I'm considering this pack for hiking in all 4 seasons. That means in winter I'm carry 3 sleeping bags ( 2 for me and 1 for our dog ) as well as large loads of food and water. In summer I don't need as much volume but my pack is still pretty heavy by some standards.

Oops, I just saw your last post. To add to my review, if you are looking for a serious load hauler the Baltoro series packs are good ones to look into, just make sure to try one beforehand and make sure that the shoulder/waist straps fit you well.

Happy hiking!

RCBear
10-14-2012, 13:26
Thanks Elf! I have been debating the same thing regarding the 65/75 as i plan on doing a 9 day no resupply on the HWM followed by a Katahdin summit. I know that will probably be the only time i go more than 4 days w/o resupply again so want to make sure it either really compresses nicely for shorter trips or consider a smaller/lighter pack and just pack it as efficiently as possible for this trip without giving up certain things that i am not willing to part with at this point. Good information provided!

trapper
10-18-2012, 21:21
i had the baltoro 70...it is a freaking huge pack...you will soon down size...very comfy with a big load though.

Train Wreck
10-18-2012, 22:29
My husband has the older Baltoro as well. He bought it about 4 years ago. He usually carried around 40 lb on week-long hikes in cooler weather, but that includes a tent we would probably replace with a lighter one before the next hike. He has been very satisfied with it. He especially likes the adjustable frame, the super-padded hip belt, and the way a load distributes comfortably. Also, if it's not stuffed full, it compresses down quite well. It's not a UL hiker's dream pack by any means, but if you don't mind the weight, it's a very good one, very sturdy and well-made for longer trips.

Northern Lights
10-18-2012, 22:36
I have three packs, one of them a GB75, and it is my least favorite. I'll stick with my ULA

Sarcasm the elf
10-18-2012, 22:47
Thanks Elf! I have been debating the same thing regarding the 65/75 as i plan on doing a 9 day no resupply on the HWM followed by a Katahdin summit. I know that will probably be the only time i go more than 4 days w/o resupply again so want to make sure it either really compresses nicely for shorter trips or consider a smaller/lighter pack and just pack it as efficiently as possible for this trip without giving up certain things that i am not willing to part with at this point. Good information provided!

I have three packs, one of them a GB75, and it is my least favorite. I'll stick with my ULA

RCBear, if you think that you are usually going to need a lighter pack, but want the extra room for the occasion that you will need to carry extra food, consider the ULA Catalyst as well. The Baltoro packs are geared primarily toward people who are going to consistently hike with a heavier load. Just something to consider.

Oh and yeah, either way, go with whatever fits you best.

Hops53
10-18-2012, 22:54
I have a 75 and a GoLight Jam - the suspension on the 75 is great - if I ever need to carry a load over 25-30# again, I'll get the 75 out of the closet.

RCBear
10-19-2012, 14:45
Good stuff here. I know the circuit and catalyst are popular on the AT, for good reason. I have a couple of Gregory Z packs (30 & 45) that have served me well for endurance dayhikes and 2-3 nights out, but that's where they limit out for me. I like my "trail creature comforts" and am fine with a heavier pack. Loaded with approx 40 lbs at the store it felt great for an hour or so on my back. think I will order it from REI because of their liberal return policy and put it to a real test in the field for a few nights to be sure. Thanks for all the feedback! ....even though I piggy backed on the OP's topic :)

Train Wreck
10-19-2012, 15:15
Good stuff here. I know the circuit and catalyst are popular on the AT, for good reason. I have a couple of Gregory Z packs (30 & 45) that have served me well for endurance dayhikes and 2-3 nights out, but that's where they limit out for me. I like my "trail creature comforts" and am fine with a heavier pack. Loaded with approx 40 lbs at the store it felt great for an hour or so on my back. think I will order it from REI because of their liberal return policy and put it to a real test in the field for a few nights to be sure. Thanks for all the feedback! ....even though I piggy backed on the OP's topic :)

With that outlook on pack weight, you'll be fine with your choice. My hubby and I have the same mindset as yours, as far as liking a few creature comforts. I have lots of respect for the dedicated ultralight hikers, but no wish to emulate them. :)

BFI
10-19-2012, 16:04
I used the Baltaro 65 large frame which equates to 70 Ltrs. I also kept the total weight down to 35 lbs with 5 days of foods,3 ltrs of water and all my gear. I liked the suspension and the ways you can get into the main pack area. I had zero problems with it and did see many other so called light weight packs with ripped seams, blown zippers, and torn harnesses. I believe most of the light weight pack failures were from trying to use a too small of pack and over stuffing it. The water bag part was insulated and kept my 2 ltr. Platypus cool. I highly recommend it.

Duramax22
10-19-2012, 17:03
I have a baltoro 65 for sale!!!!!!! really nice pack just too much room for me. got an atmos 50 now but the baltoro is diffidently more comfortable.

RCBear
10-20-2012, 15:20

With that outlook on pack weight, you'll be fine with your choice. My hubby and I have the same mindset as yours, as far as liking a few creature comforts. I have lots of respect for the dedicated ultralight hikers, but no wish to emulate them. :)

Thanks TW...I have the utmost respect for their ability to getting the most from the least and for their relentless fine tuning over the years to get there. I think my girlfriend and I fall closer to you and your husband style...which us to say, determine what we want/need for our type of trail experience and then seek ways to cut weight while maintaining those "comforts". I can't imagine too many enjoy carrying extra weight just because they can! :) thanks for your valuable input on this and other threads by the way!

trapper
10-21-2012, 08:40
With that outlook on pack weight, you'll be fine with your choice. My hubby and I have the same mindset as yours, as far as liking a few creature comforts. I have lots of respect for the dedicated ultralight hikers, but no wish to emulate them. :) you can have most of your creature comforts they make all of them in light weight versions however it does cost money to replace them...to each his own...have fun out there no matter the weight i just have more fun with only 20 lbs on my back

Train Wreck
10-21-2012, 22:17
you can have most of your creature comforts they make all of them in light weight versions however it does cost money to replace them...to each his own...have fun out there no matter the weight i just have more fun with only 20 lbs on my back

Yeah, who doesn't? I've just never managed to go below 26 lb without a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye as I look at my pack contents and try to decide which favorite item can't go with me...usually end up putting it back in at the last minute :).
Who knows, I may be singing a different tune in a year or so. A lot of my gear is older and heavier and if I see something that works for me when I have the $, I'm replacing it. Since I've really started looking at the these forums, I've seen a lot of things I can try without having to dive into a spartan 10 lb setup. Like I said, I do have a lot of respect the for the UL and super UL hikers and what they've accomplished with a little ingenuity. I'll probably never be truly UL, though.

LIhikers
10-24-2012, 13:32
Thanks for the info you've all provided so far.
One more question.
Not all of my trips require large, heavy, loads and I'm wondering if it's just as comfortable with smaller, lighter loads.
Thanks in advance for any more information you can give me.