PDA

View Full Version : Moore Springs "Shelter"

TownDawg
05-12-2005, 16:11
Moore Springs "Shelter" -- exist on old maps.. it of course it not there any more.. a few of my trail guides mention remnant manways.. all that to say.. well to ask.. has anyone been there??.. to the old Moore Springs that's over by Gregory Bald?.. just curious on how overgrown it is.

Pictures very much appreciated. :)

Rifleman
05-13-2005, 00:41
Moore Springs "Shelter" -- exist on old maps.. it of course it not there any more.. a few of my trail guides mention remnant manways.. all that to say.. well to ask.. has anyone been there??.. to the old Moore Springs that's over by Gregory Bald?.. just curious on how overgrown it is.

Pictures very much appreciated. :) TownDog,
Haven't been there since I was a teenage--& that was several years before the shelter burned. Have read in various sources that the site is used as a stealth camp by the volunteers that keep Gregory Bald open. If you get a 7 1/2 minute quad (probablythe Cades Cove quad-1964) it will lead you right to the spring--which was a darn good one!
Cordially,
Rifleman

bulldog49
05-13-2005, 09:57
TownDog,
Haven't been there since I was a teenage--& that was several years before the shelter burned. Have read in various sources that the site is used as a stealth camp by the volunteers that keep Gregory Bald open. If you get a 7 1/2 minute quad (probablythe Cades Cove quad-1964) it will lead you right to the spring--which was a darn good one!
Cordially,
Rifleman

Where is this spring in relation to the current campsite at Gregory Bald?

Stoker53
05-13-2005, 10:17
Where is this spring in relation to the current campsite at Gregory Bald?
From the GB backcountry campsite you have to climb GB ( ~ 1/2 mile ) . Continue across bald on trail ( old AT ) and the shelter site should be on your R before you reach the Long Hungry Ridge Trail intersection. Last time I was there all that remained of the shelter was a pile of foundation stones. Can't remember where the spring was but it was close to the shelter site.

Rifleman
05-14-2005, 14:54
Where is this spring in relation to the current campsite at Gregory Bald? Bulldog,
Quoting from Murlles and Stallings' Hiker's Guide to the Smokies (1973) "...follow along the crest of Long Hungry Ridge. AT 4.4 mi the trail ends at Rich Gap on the Smokies Crest at a trail junction. ... One hundred yds. to the left (W) on the Gregory Bald Trail is a trail intersection: at that point a side trail leads left (S) .4 mi. to the Moore Spring and Shelter...." I'm sure there's no side trail these days (maybe wrong). Get the Cades Cove 1964 quad & it will show the spring & the stream (Moore's Spring Branch) leading down (NC side) from it. Just checked my Earthwalk Press--Hiking Map & Guide Great Smoky Mountains National Park topo map (1:62,500) (2002) & it shows Moore Springs. Darn. Now you've got me going. The flame azalea will be at their peak about a month from now. Got to plan a trip. My suggestion is to stealth camp away from the springs.
Cordially,
Rifleman

TownDawg
05-16-2005, 12:55
I have a trip set up.. in june.. I'm permitted for 8.. some of you wuld be welcome to come..

[email protected] if interested.

Thanks for all the info.. I'm going to take some pictures of the Moore springs area while I am there..

I'm coming in from the TwentyMile side.. so I will look for Moore Spring when I get to Rich Gap.

TownDawg
05-20-2005, 17:39
So if I read this all correctly.. I should find Moore Springs about where I have placed the RED STAR --
http://www.thebackpacker.com/pictures/users/towndawg/bj3zavwx/ee66kzxm30u.jpg

--- because it is obviously the headwaters..

1) "...follow along the crest of Long Hungry Ridge. AT 4.4 mi the trail ends at Rich Gap on the Smokies Crest at a trail junction. ... One hundred yds. to the left (W) on the Gregory Bald Trail is a trail intersection: at that point a side trail leads left (S) .4 mi. to the Moore Spring and Shelter...." (Thanks Rifleman!)

2) "From the GB backcountry campsite you have to climb GB ( ~ 1/2 mile ) . Continue across bald on trail ( old AT ) and the shelter site should be on your R before you reach the Long Hungry Ridge Trail intersection." (Thanks Stoker53!)
Should be a piece of cake..

Stoker53
05-20-2005, 17:54
Good luck TownDog!!! When you get back, and if you remember, please post and let us know if you found it. I was last there in the late 80's. Curious to verify my memory.:confused:

Groucho
05-20-2005, 18:16
So if I read this all correctly.. I should find Moore Springs about where I have placed the RED STAR --

Looks good. This map (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7250/size/big/sort/1/cat/500) may help. It has been a long time since I was there too. Let us know.

aaronthebugbuffet
05-23-2005, 07:01
I was there 2 years ago and the trail to the spring was easy to spot. It was right beside a sign that said "no horses" or something like that. The spring had great flow.

mingo
05-25-2005, 16:09
yes, i've been there many times. the side trail to the spring is easy to see. at the spring, there's another side trail making a loop back to the gregory bald trail. there's a clearing around the spring. would make a very nice camping spot. the old shelter was there.

TownDawg
11-02-2005, 13:53
Enjoyed our visit.

Ewker
11-11-2005, 12:59
the water there was some of the coldest I have had at the park