PDA

View Full Version : Insul Mat SL-Lite -- Am I the only one?

java
05-12-2005, 16:11
I just bought an Insul Mat SL-Lite, only $20 and 11 ounces. I was thinking of buying a Z-rest Lite but I got talked into this one.

Is a pad this light and cheap too good to be true? I would love to hear a review if anyone else has tried it out.

If not, I guess I'll post a review once I get out hiking again.
-java
www.visualalex.com (http://www.visualalex.com/)

Kerosene
05-12-2005, 16:17
I just bought the Bozeman Mountain Works Torso-Lite, manufactured by Insul Mat, for $49 (on sale from $75!) and 9.5 ounces. I'll be using it next month, so I can't give a user review. It's tiny though, intended to provide 1" of padding between shoulders and hips.

HikeLite
05-12-2005, 21:18
I just bought the Bozeman Mountain Works Torso-Lite, manufactured by Insul Mat, for $49 (on sale from $75!) and 9.5 ounces. I'll be using it next month, so I can't give a user review. It's tiny though, intended to provide 1" of padding between shoulders and hips.

What did you think about the part where, just because you got ten dollars off the torsolite if a member, you cannot return it for any reason?

tlbj6142
05-13-2005, 08:44
What did you think about the part where, just because you got ten dollars off the torsolite if a member, you cannot return it for any reason?I figured they must be coming out with a Torsolite 2 next month and don't want any old models on hand.:D

I bought 2 of them for my kids. When hiking with young children, low volume items win out over lighter weight every time. As you never know if/when you'll end up carrying everything.

Looking at the dimensions online I thought I'd never get my fat A*s on it, but it appears to be surprisily comfortable. I'll probably take one on my next solo hike. Its worth noting that if you much taller than 6', the Torsolite might not be long enough. Though I think one reviewer on bpgt.org was 6'3" and was quite happy with it.

As a side note, I love the red color. It almost glows in the dark. Haven't weighed mine yet.