PDA

View Full Version : Is everyone wearing orange?

poopsy
10-14-2012, 08:30
This is from the ATC: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/hiking-basics/health-safety#hunting

As a prospector/geologist in Canada I have always hated being in the bush during hunting season. It's just too gosh darn dangerous. Do many Whiteblazers meet the legislation to wear enuf blaze orange during hunting season? Or is it just not a significant issue for you?

Poopsie

Carbo
10-14-2012, 09:17
Well, I wouldn't wear antlers and a brown jacket.

bamboo bob
10-14-2012, 09:31
I did a loop hike yesterday with a grey hat and black jacket. It's bear season here. I think I looked like a bear from the bush too. I worried the whole time but made it back in one piece. I did see some bear scat.

earlyriser26
10-14-2012, 09:32
Going hiking in PA on Friday and no different from any other day.

Rain Man
10-14-2012, 09:43
Do many Whiteblazers meet the legislation to wear enuf blaze orange during hunting season?

There are some mighty fine people who hunt. Then again, a few people who hunt are immature, morons, alcoholics, trigger-happy, I-get-to-disobey-laws-I-don't-agree-with, or worse, and shouldn't be allowed NEAR a weapon. I'd put my life in the hands of the first kind. I protect my life from those few of the second kind.

I made several blaze-orange pack covers. When I go hiking during hunting season, I wear a blaze orange hat, often an orange shirt, and use one of the pack covers. The other pack covers are for family or hiking companions. If someone made blaze orange socks or gaiters, I'd probably wear them too.

I call it my "incognito costume" for a Clemson Tigers home football game, where you'd be unable to pick me out of the crowd! :D

Rain:sunMan

bamboo bob
10-14-2012, 09:51
"I made several blaze-orange pack covers" That is a really good idea, Rain Man. You likely have it anyway. A blaze vest is covered by your pack. You would think gear outfits would make them in blaze instead of mainly camo colors.

Pedaling Fool
10-14-2012, 09:58
There are some mighty fine people who drive. Then again, a few people who drive are immature, morons, alcoholics, throttle-happy, I-get-to-disobey-laws-I-don't-agree-with, or worse, and shouldn't be allowed NEAR a vehicle. I'd put my life in the hands of the first kind. I protect my life from those few of the second kind.

bamboo bob
10-14-2012, 10:08
There are some mighty fine people who vote. Then again, a few people who vote are immature, morons, alcoholics, throttle-happy, I-get-to-disobey-laws-I-don't-agree-with, or worse, and shouldn't be allowed NEAR a polling place. I'd put my life in the hands of the first kind. I protect my life from those few of the second kind.

rsjrny
10-14-2012, 10:21
Since I live near Shenandoah National Park, where hunting is not allowed, I exclusively hike there during hunting season. You can also enjoy all the popular tourist viewing areas without the crowds. After hunting season I will head back to the Tuscarora Trail and George Washington National Forest.

WingedMonkey
10-14-2012, 10:49
I've been wondering when I would need this:

Rocket Jones
10-14-2012, 10:57
Since I live near Shenandoah National Park, where hunting is not allowed, I exclusively hike there during hunting season. You can also enjoy all the popular tourist viewing areas without the crowds. After hunting season I will head back to the Tuscarora Trail and George Washington National Forest.

I got into the habit of wearing a hunter's orange Buff and leaving my orange pack cover on no matter where I hike in the Fall. I do stand out in Shenandoah, but it's easier for me to remember that Fall=Orange everywhere.

Wise Old Owl
10-14-2012, 10:57
Ha ha ha ......I love it....:cool: Hey I waited all of 15 seconds and had to do it.

tiptoe
10-14-2012, 11:07
I wear orange, and so does my dog. It's not our favorite color, but if it helps to keep us safe, we do it.

FatMan
10-14-2012, 13:42
The big season starts next weekend here in GA. Down here the trail is shared by both hikers and hunters. No buffer exists. I can not think of a single good reason not to wear blaze orange. Both my dogs and I will be in orange until the season ends.

The Old Boot
10-14-2012, 14:07
I wouldn't even think about stepping off the road without my orange vest on. I have one of those 1 size fit's all ones from Wally World and found that it goes overtop of my day pack quite nicely. Just having an orange pack cover on doesn't 'show' orange from all sides.

When the dog hiked with me, he had his own custom fit orange vest as well. I liked to put it on him all year round cause then I could see him easily when he stepped off the trails.

The areas where I do most of my hiking is 'crown land' - (owned by the province but totally unregulated). Hunters abound and bear season blends with moose season then bow for deer then rifle for deer etc. etc. Put it this way hunting season runs forever up here!!

Wanderlost
10-14-2012, 18:41
There are some mighty fine people who hunt. Then again, a few people who hunt are immature, morons, alcoholics, trigger-happy, I-get-to-disobey-laws-I-don't-agree-with, or worse, and shouldn't be allowed NEAR a weapon. I'd put my life in the hands of the first kind. I protect my life from those few of the second kind.

An awful lot of your "complaining" posts, whether referring to shelters, groups on the trail or other subjects, invariably get around to the subject of, or are directed at 'alcoholics'....
Not "recovered" are you..????

Sarcasm the elf
10-14-2012, 18:50
An awful lot of your "complaining" posts, whether referring to shelters, groups on the trail or other subjects, invariably get around to the subject of, or are directed at 'alcoholics'....
Not "recovered" are you..????

In the context of this conversation, rain man's comment seems appropriate. I like alcohol and I like guns, but I have a special kind of fury reserved for the (fortunately rare) idiots who choose to mix the two.

Wanderlost
10-14-2012, 19:11
In the context of this conversation, rain man's comment seems appropriate. I like alcohol and I like guns, but I have a special kind of fury reserved for the (fortunately rare) idiots who choose to mix the two.

I agree totally with your point, but the subject just seems to come up in an awful LOT of his posts......

kolokolo
10-14-2012, 19:12
I would not hike in the fall, especially during deer season, without an orange hat and/or orange pack cover. Maybe it doesn't matter, or maybe it gives me a false sense of security, but it seems like a reasonable thing to do.

Sarcasm the elf
10-14-2012, 19:16
This is from the ATC: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/hiking-basics/health-safety#hunting

As a prospector/geologist in Canada I have always hated being in the bush during hunting season. It's just too gosh darn dangerous. Do many Whiteblazers meet the legislation to wear enuf blaze orange during hunting season? Or is it just not a significant issue for you?

Poopsie

I try to avoid hiking in popular hunting areas during deer season. In my area there are comparatively few public lands where it is legal to hunt, so it's very easy for me to avoid. The way I look at it, I have all year to hike as opposed to the hunters who, depending on the game and hunting method, usually only have a few weeks a year that they are allowed to hunt.

In years past I did not wear hunter orange while hiking, mostly because I didn't own any and never thought about it until it was too late. I finally grabbed a synthetic bright orange shirt and hat at Tractor Supply Co. last fall, so I will now be donning the correct amount of orange when hiking. As an added bonus, the shirt was both cheap and is honestly the softest and most comfortable synthetic shirt I've ever owned.

In addition, my lanky brown dog now ALWAYS wears orange in the woods during the fall. The first year we had her, there was an minor incident when she was running in the forest at a friend's farm. Lots of people are allowed to hunt on the property and we would always check with the owner before going into the woods during deer season, however one of the owner's relatives went out that afternoon without letting him know first. Lucky for us the hunter was very responsible and wasn't trigger happy, but the next time we saw him he informed us in a very pissed off voice something to the effect of "through a rifle scope your dog looks a lot like a deer" Ever since then the orange vest went became required gear for her on our hikes.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/6/4/6/5/img_0659_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=51907)

One last side note: Everyone gets worried about hunters during deer season, but it turns out that the most accidental shootings happen during spring turkey season.

Sarcasm the elf
10-14-2012, 19:20
I would not hike in the fall, especially during deer season, without an orange hat and/or orange pack cover. Maybe it doesn't matter, or maybe it gives me a false sense of security, but it seems like a reasonable thing to do.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that according to the hunters I've talked to, they REALLY appreciate when other people in the woods wear orange. What they're worried about isn't accidentally aiming at you, so much as aiming at something in front of you and not seeing that there is a person downrange of their shot. The orange makes you stand out from the background and that's why it's so important.

turtle fast
10-14-2012, 21:54
It just makes sense to wear some blaze orange. I got a blaze orange pack cover that works just fine for the spring. In fact, I ran into some turkey hunters on the AT and they were in the process of scoping out the area and had got a little lost and ended up on the trail...they were not actively hunting but it made me think about my blaze orange usage.

1azarus
10-15-2012, 07:31

I hope you don't mind my pointing out that hunting takes place in all sorts of designated non-hunting areas... the SNP often closes the Drive in the evening, I believe, just to discourage those illegal hunters. I think orange is a good idea anywhere in the woods anytime near hunting season... that being said, I don't avoid hiking, with my orange pack cover, when the hunters are out.

TheYoungOne
10-15-2012, 10:02
In PA, I always wear some blaze. The AT cuts thru a lot of state game land in PA and some sections are tight, meaning the trail goes right down the middle of a long thin stretch of game land. Most of the time I never have a problem, since most avid hunters are careful. However, I would never hike during deer rifle season, because for every good hunter out there there are at least a half dozen unsafe morons with a rifle they just bought and never sighted in. After Thanksgiving when Deer Rifle starts, I'm done hiking until spring.

You don't need to go crazy with the blaze. My Blaze hiking gear is basically a Philadelphia Flyers hat (whit ironically is blaze orange anyway) , and a $7 blaze vest that I bought at Walmart, which I usually tie to my pack.

Suckerfish
10-15-2012, 10:28
Has a hiker ever been shot on the AT hiking during hunting season?

max patch
10-15-2012, 10:33
Hunting season starts in GA this weekend, so yeah, I'm wearing orange.

HikerMom58
10-15-2012, 10:38

Hummm..... good question. We ran into some bow hunters this weekend, on the AT, heading towards Apple Orchard Mountain.

Suckerfish
10-15-2012, 10:49
I have an orange pack cover, it is ugly as sin but I put it on my day pack this past weekend. We have som tacky orange safety vests here in the office for fire drills, I think I am going to take a couple and use them when Hiking this fall. Im doing a section hike November 1st-3rd from Neels gap to Unicoi gap.

max patch
10-15-2012, 10:52

Yes. A girl was shot on the AT in GA when she took a bathroom break and a hunter mistook her toilet paper for a whitetail deer.

max patch
10-15-2012, 10:53
Hunting season starts in GA this weekend, so yeah, I'm wearing orange.

And don't forget to orange up your dog.

Suckerfish
10-15-2012, 11:00
Yes. A girl was shot on the AT in GA when she took a bathroom break and a hunter mistook her toilet paper for a whitetail deer.

Oh my god, what a tragic situation. Do you know if she died?

max patch
10-15-2012, 11:05
Just missed her heart; punctured a lung. OK after surgery.

Capt Nat
10-15-2012, 21:05
Sounds like orange TP might be a better idea!

Sarcasm the elf
10-15-2012, 21:32
Sounds like orange TP might be a better idea!

REI already sells enough unnecessary junk to scared newbies, don't give them any more ideas. :rolleyes:

canoehead
10-15-2012, 21:42

PD230SOI
10-15-2012, 22:14
As a hunter, backpacker, dad, and dog owner - who has been shot before - it hurts, wear the orange.

we don't go into the woods during muzzle loader or high power season. I'm far less worried about bow season (range should be 40 yards or less). But perhaps I will be proved wrong one day. Spring turkey is bad since blaze orange is/was not required.

on my private land in Maine you would be stunned how many hunter stumble out from the woods behind the house. Many are just lost some just don't care. It's sad.

Lauriep
10-16-2012, 11:52
A second hiker on the A.T. was also shot a few months after the girl, on January 1, 2003. The victim was an experienced A.T. hiker (he did one thru-hike and a second hike of more than half the A.T.) who moved close to the A.T. near Bland. He was day-hiking and spoke with the hunter a few moments before the hunter then accidentally shot him, almost fatally. The hiker survived, but was still hobbling and suffering severe pain when I saw him at Trail Days five months later. There's more information about this incident at www.vaturkey.com/discus/messages/115/1146.html?1042051447 (http://http://www.vaturkey.com/discus/messages/115/1146.html?1042051447).

In both cases it's quite likely the hunting accidents could have been prevented by the hiker wearing blaze orange.

The "friendly" link to our hunting page is www.appalachiantrail.org/hunting (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hunting). The two incidents are mentioned there. The page also has suggestions for hikers, hunters, and a compilation of some of the hunting seasons of most concern to hikers for all 14 A.T. states.

Laurie P.
ATC

Rain Man
10-16-2012, 17:55
In both cases it's quite likely the hunting [mistakes] could have been prevented by the hiker wearing blaze orange.

Or, the hunters not shooting at people?

Rain Man

Another Kevin
10-16-2012, 22:23
I still hike at this time of year. I wear an orange vest, an orange packcover, and if the weather is chilly, an orange tuque. I'm still scared - I'm remembering the story of the farmer who painted COW on the side of his cow in blaze orange letters - and she *still* got shot. But I can't live by fear.

I find it helps - at least, I seem to hear fewer nearby shots - if I favor the really steep trails during hunting season and hike at the high elevations. Essentially, I try to hike in places that nobody wants to try to hump a deer out of.

It's no guarantee, though: my stepgrandfather disappeared many years ago while hiking a Catskill high peak in the hunting season. They never found his body.

magic_game03
10-16-2012, 22:48
I've never seen anybody point a gun at me but I've heard first hand accounts of plenty who have. PA seems to be the worst place for these accounts. I don't wear orange, I don't really have anything against hunters I guess. I just find it offensive that I have to wear something because YOU want to do something and cannot control yourself. If you can't see clearly what you are shooting, why should I have to wear a big orange flag (200 sq. inches in PA is required for anybody in the wilderness, even on the AT) Maybe I wanna sneak up on a bear, deer, birds, and other wild life too. So now I gotta be the chump to wear a big orange flag, that sucks.

Sarcasm the elf
10-16-2012, 23:49
Or, the hunters not shooting at people?

Rain Man

Rain man, like I said, the majority of hunters that i know aren't scared of accidentally aiming at a person, they are afraid of thinking that they have a clear shot at a deer only to find that somewhere behind the deer is a person wearing drab colors blending into the background that they can't see. It's the same reason that I wear reflective material when I jog on public roads at night.

Rain Man
10-17-2012, 09:40
Rain man, like I said, the majority of hunters that i know aren't scared of accidentally aiming at a person, they are afraid of thinking that they have a clear shot at a deer only to find that somewhere behind the deer is a person wearing drab colors blending into the background that they can't see. It's the same reason that I wear reflective material when I jog on public roads at night.

Like I said, I agree with you and I wear lots of orange during hunting seasons ... and reflective stuff when I bicycle at night, too. :D

RED-DOG
10-17-2012, 10:00
Personally the only place i had problems with hunters is, Tinker Creek about half a mile before US 220, VA 816 the Cloverdale, Daleville interchange they must of been target practicing because i was walking along and all at once bullets started wizzing by my head one missed only by inches but its also like that every time i go thru that area, that's the only place i encounter hunters and No i don't wear orange.

Darwin13
10-17-2012, 10:05
I've come across hikers with guns out hunting turkeys literally on the AT. While it was probably only turkey shot and wouldn't kill necessarily, it was still disconcerting to see a dude with a shotgun around the trail bend.

Wise Old Owl
10-17-2012, 10:29
It doesn't need to be a hunter and I don't really go out of my way to wear orange anymore... I have had a freind shot with rock salt for straying off a local trail...

Appalachian Trail Hiker Shot In Monroe Hostel

May 18, 1990| by SEAN CONNOLLY, The Morning Call

An Appalachian Trail hiker, possibly defending himself, shot another hiker in the chest yesterday morning at a hostel in the basement of the Presbyterian Church of the Mountain in Delaware Water Gap, authorities said.

Mark Pazuhanich, Monroe County's first assistant district attorney, said Lawrence William Doughty, 36, whose last known address was Roanoke, Va., was shot by another hiker sometime after midnight at the hostel.Doughty was taken to Pocono Medical Center in East Stroudsburg. He was listed last night in critical condition.Pazuhanich and police refused to discuss the details of the shooting, saying the hiker who shot Doughty had not been charged. They also declined to reveal his name.Pazuhanich said the shooting could be a case of self-defense. Pazuhanich said police were reinterviewing witnesses yesterday afternoon to determine what caused the shooting. Meanwhile, the hiker, who is from South Carolina, is not in custody."There is some suggestion that it is a matter of self-defense," Pazuhanich said. "I didn't want to charge someone and have him sit in jail for a couple days if it turns out to be self-defense."At the hostel yesterday afternoon, three hikers lounged on tattered furniture and discussed life on the Appalachian Trail. The hikers, who declined to discuss the shooting on police orders, said fights between hikers are rare."Everyone's a closeknit group of friends," said 22-year-old Dwayne Bell of Branchville, N.J. "On the trail, you meet people, take down their names and meet up with them later and hike. I meet more friends on the trail."The Rev. Karen Nickels, who runs the hostel from the church, also declined to comment on the shooting. She said the church has operated the hostel more than 14 years and sometimes houses more than 25 hikers in the summer.Nickels said she didn't think the shooting would affect the operations of the hostel.
"I hope not. That would be a real tragedy," she said.

Hunter Shoots Hiker
posted November 25, 2002
[email protected]
21-year old Matthew Bryant from Union County, Georgia has been charged after he accidentally shot a Cartersville teenager on the Appalachian Trail. Fortunately the young girl was not killed. Bryant has been formally charged with misuing a firearm. Bryant turned himself in to authorities Monday. The felony charge carries a penalty of up to ten years in prison and a $5,000 fine.Authorities say Bryant thought he was shooting at a deer. 16-year-old Rachel Ferguson remains at St. Joseph's Hospital in Atlanta in serious but stable condition. Union County Sheriff Scott Stephens said Bryant had "limited hunting experience.'' He says the man was legally licensed, and was hunting in an authorized area when he shot the girl about 6:45 a-m Sunday. The hiker was with a group of about 15 -- including adults and other teens -- who had hiked in along the trail and camped Saturday night. Authorities say she was hit when she left the campsite and walked about 200 feet. Johnson said the hunter was about 70 yards from what he believed to be a deer and fired a shot, which hit the girl.

RED-DOG
10-17-2012, 12:50
It's not the hunters you need to be worried about " they know what their doing " it's all the uneducated people running around out there thinking their RAMBO with pistols stuffed in their packs. RED-DOG

RED-DOG
10-17-2012, 12:53
Especially know after president obama passed the Cancealed carry law on National Park Lands. We hikers needs to grow eye balls in the back of our heads to feel safe.

Josh Calhoun
10-23-2012, 09:46
i hiked last weekend out of NOC and run into a couple bear hunters at sassafras shelter. i had no orange on. you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning that shot by a hunter. take that from a avid hunter. but a little orange wont hurt

TheYoungOne
10-23-2012, 14:37
I've never seen anybody point a gun at me but I've heard first hand accounts of plenty who have. PA seems to be the worst place for these accounts. I don't wear orange, I don't really have anything against hunters I guess. I just find it offensive that I have to wear something because YOU want to do something and cannot control yourself. If you can't see clearly what you are shooting, why should I have to wear a big orange flag (200 sq. inches in PA is required for anybody in the wilderness, even on the AT) Maybe I wanna sneak up on a bear, deer, birds, and other wild life too. So now I gotta be the chump to wear a big orange flag, that sucks.

PA has the most register hunters than any other state, but other states always beat PA when it comes to total deer taken by hunters. So that means lots of Deer hunters walking around with rifles, and not a lot of deer, or a lot of bad deer hunters.

And for the record, most animals in north america see in black and white, so they cannot see blaze orange, and this is why hunters use it. You can sneak up on any animal you want wearing blaze.

Pathfinder1
10-23-2012, 15:00
As a hunter, backpacker, dad, and dog owner - who has been shot before - it hurts, wear the orange.

we don't go into the woods during muzzle loader or high power season. I'm far less worried about bow season (range should be 40 yards or less). But perhaps I will be proved wrong one day. Spring turkey is bad since blaze orange is/was not required.

on my private land in Maine you would be stunned how many hunter stumble out from the woods behind the house. Many are just lost some just don't care. It's sad.

Hi...

Bow hunters are shooting at...and sometimes taking...both deer and bear...over 100 yds. away. Those compound bows are unique.

The crossbows can range even farther. Don't be a statistical fragment (DEAD)...wear plenty of orange.

Pathfinder1
10-23-2012, 15:10

Hi...

If it keeps you alive...it's 'reasonable'...!!

Longfan
10-23-2012, 16:40
If you are in the woods during any long range hunting season (for me deer season) I wear the hat and vest 100 sq inches front, 100 sq inches back. Two reasons 1) I do not like getting shot at! 2) Why explain you are not hunting to game wardens; not a real issue I have yet to see a warden while hunting; I have seen an Sherrif's officer while setting/clearing stands but never hunting.

Hoop
10-23-2012, 18:12
Week before last I hiked from Winding Stair Gap to the NOC, and I wore an orange cap and pack cover. There were hunters and dogs about. Bows and black powder.

It was during the week so there weren't many hikers but of the ones I met few realized it was hunting season.

Josh Calhoun
10-30-2012, 11:18
Hi...

Bow hunters are shooting at...and sometimes taking...both deer and bear...over 100 yds. away. Those compound bows are unique.

The crossbows can range even farther. Don't be a statistical fragment (DEAD)...wear plenty of orange.

Really now? where can i get one of these at? your listening to to many tim mcgraw songs. "indian outlaw"

fcoulter
10-30-2012, 11:44

I always thought that those hunters who go into the woods to get away from their normal life, hang with friends, and consume large quantities of beer should be taught the joys of fishing.

Spirit Bear
10-30-2012, 12:39
Doing a 20 mile section hike this weekend from Neels Gap to Unicoi Gap (Ga section). Even though this section of trail is pretty busy it is hunting season in Georgia. I picked up a perfect orange vest, here in my office we were given orange vests for Fire Drills to wear, I also have a hunting orange rain fly for my backpack I will leave on the entire hike as well.

magic_game03
10-30-2012, 14:37
And for the record, most animals in north america see in black and white, so they cannot see blaze orange, and this is why hunters use it. You can sneak up on any animal you want wearing blaze.[/QUOTE]

once again the urban myth that animals only see in black and white has gotten mixed in the cool aid. understanding that wild animals have rods and cones that allow them to see in different ways gets syphoned down to, "wild animals are color blind." No They Are Not! So once again because you have a sport that inflicts bodily harm to innocent bystanders bogus science is tossed into the conversation.

magic_game03
10-30-2012, 14:39
And for the record, most animals in north america see in black and white, so they cannot see blaze orange, and this is why hunters use it. You can sneak up on any animal you want wearing blaze.

Once again the urban myth that animals only see in black and white has gotten mixed in the cool aid. understanding that wild animals have rods and cones that allow them to see in different ways gets syphoned down to, "wild animals are color blind." No They Are Not! So once again because you have a sport that inflicts bodily harm to innocent bystanders bogus science is tossed into the conversation.

Rain Man
10-31-2012, 10:21
I'm the one wearing the blaze orange (with reflective stripes) pack cover, blaze orange shirt, and blaze orange wide brim hat (with reflective stripes) in Pennsyltucky last week! Which one would a hunter see (and not shoot)? "Toast" or "Rain Man?"

Heck, I even had blaze orange five-toed socks to wear around camp with my flip-flops (though I never did that). :D

P.S. As overwhelmingly orange as this might seem in the woods, it's my "incognito" outfit for home games at Clemson!!! :D

magic_game03
10-31-2012, 10:41
Nice outfit Rain Man, very stylish. Now you make me actually want to go and buy some of this orange gear. looks a little clean though. How does it look after a few days of blood, sweat and grime?

Rain Man
10-31-2012, 20:34
Nice outfit Rain Man, very stylish. Now you make me actually want to go and buy some of this orange gear. looks a little clean though. How does it look after a few days of blood, sweat and grime?

Well, it had been washed only two days before, in Boiling Springs. :D But it looks as good as any color after a few days of blood, sweat, and grime. :)

If only I could find gaiters in blaze orange now. Hmmmmm.

rickb
10-31-2012, 20:46
Some things you just can't make up...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/thought_girl_actual_skunk_costume_Jn1tVJgUhXTYTDqK VcngVL (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/thought_girl_actual_skunk_costume_Jn1tVJgUhXTYTDqK VcngVL)

Raymond James
10-31-2012, 21:09
I wear orange this time of year and in the spring turkey season to check my own cows on my own farm. People hunt on the farms around me. I carry an orange vest in the truck year round. Rather be stupid looking and alive then take a chance.

hikerhobs
10-31-2012, 22:25
I wear orange during hunting season, Better safe than sorry.

magic_game03
11-01-2012, 00:15
I wear orange this time of year and in the spring turkey season to check my own cows on my own farm. People hunt on the farms around me. I carry an orange vest in the truck year round. Rather be stupid looking and alive then take a chance.

Hey Raymond, ever have anyone shoot one of your cows and think it was a black and white spotted deer (or giant boar)?

Cherokee Bill
11-01-2012, 06:50
"IF" you are going to hike the AT during hunting season, WEAR ORANGE. Hunters along the Blue Ridge Parkway, especially from Black Horse Gap, North, hunters are usually thick as ants!!!!

OzJacko
11-01-2012, 08:21
Hey Rain Man!
Looking for a sporting team to follow..?
http://digitaljournal.com/img/2/5/7/7/3/3/i/4/7/7/o/Orange_Legion_Fans_oranje_supportersclub_nl.jpg

(Dutch soccer team)

WingedMonkey
11-01-2012, 09:01
Hey Raymond, ever have anyone shoot one of your cows and think it was a black and white spotted deer (or giant boar)?

A few weeks ago, two local men were hog hunting on private land here (a planned multimillion per home development). One shot and killed the other.

I still can not fathom how a standing man resembles a hog, even a large one.
None of the accounts so far have mentioned if he was wearing orange. The laws requires only on public land, but only for dear hunting.

Do I have to wear orange while hunting on private land? Although the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission recommends all hunters wear hunter orange while hunting, according to Florida Statute 379.3003, it is only required for hunters pursuing deer on public lands and WMAs (except during archery-only season). You can find the Florida Statutes online at http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes.

I wear orange when hiking any area with active hunting, and I wear orange on rural highways while biking.

Snowleopard
11-02-2012, 18:15

Someone near my parents' place in the Catskills shot a donkey during deer season and took it to the game station to be tagged as a deer! My mother wore orange to hang the laundry.

Those compound bows are scary. There were bow hunters out by my daily woods walk yesterday. Today, I walked on the road, but it was worth it. I watched two otters in a swamp next to the road for half an hour. I've never seen otters here before.

Pathfinder1
11-02-2012, 20:18
Hi...

A search of Wiki through eHow turned up the following:

Deer can see yellows and greens, but not orange; dogs can see yellow, blue and violet; horses can see blue and green, but most of the shades are of gray; the matador's cape is really gray to a bull...for some examples.