PDA

View Full Version : Gator Gump wrote a book.

max patch
10-14-2012, 09:36
You may or may not remember Gator Gump, a 2007 thru-hiker.

Gator Gump was the middle aged man who put his naked azz on the Springer plaque among other things. Both the thread about him on WB and the comments section of his journal on trailjournals went ballistic. Some people hated him; others thot he was a breath of fresh air. Remember him now?

For the record, based on what I've read on WB and TJ, I'm in the "I don't like him camp."

I also just bought his book which was released last week.

I stopped reading "I thru hiked the AT" books years ago as most of them are variations on the same boring theme. Something tells me this one will be different. Perhaps I'll feel differently about Mr Gump when I'm done. Perhaps not.

Book is available on dead trees or on kindle. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Sometimes-Appalachian-Trail-Is-Adventures/dp/1480009229/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350220665&sr=8-2&keywords=sometimes+the+appalachian+trail+is

Lugnut
10-14-2012, 11:43
He had the best journal ever! I imagine the book will be hilarious.

Furlough
10-14-2012, 12:14
Some of us posted about this yesterday in response to Traveling Teachers "New Book" post. Thread seems to have magically disappeared. Revenge on ole Gator Gump for his Trail Journal? Which by the way was a good read and quite funny. Will order his book. Man I remember how some White Blazers went into a hover over some of GGs antics. Not sure which was funnier, Gator Gump giving a Bare A$$ kiss to the Springer Plaque or reading the sanctimonious and self-righteous attack posts by my fellow White Blazers. I guess humor like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Furlough

Rain Man
10-14-2012, 20:10
My wife downloaded the couple of free chapters on her Kindle for me yesterday. I read them last evening. So far my reaction is "meh."

The author is very judgmental, but then whines about folks who are judgmental. He seems to hike and write with a chip on his shoulder and air of superiority, while giving his hiking partner first one demeaning trail name, then another. Anyone see a theme or two developing?

Unless things improve quickly, this would be an AT book I have to grind through simply to finish, rather than one I enjoy, learn from, and can't put down. We'll see when I get the hardback version. I'll post more then, but first I'm going hiking.

Rain Man

max patch
10-14-2012, 20:55
Some of us posted about this yesterday in response to Traveling Teachers "New Book" post. Thread seems to have magically disappeared. Revenge on ole Gator Gump for his Trail Journal?

Deleted thread? WB just gave Mr Gump something to talk about in the 2nd edition.

Furlough
10-14-2012, 21:02
My wife downloaded the couple of free chapters on her Kindle for me yesterday. I read them last evening. So far my reaction is "meh."

The author is very judgmental, but then whines about folks who are judgmental. He seems to hike and write with a chip on his shoulder and air of superiority, while giving his hiking partner first one demeaning trail name, then another. Anyone see a theme or two developing?

Rain Man.

Fortunately we never see that kind if thing here on WB. :D

Furlough

Sarcasm the elf
10-14-2012, 21:05
Interesting, is the book about his 2007 hike or something more recent? Fiction or Non-fiction?

I read his trail journal last year and thought it was great. I wasn't around on the W.B. or the A.T. in 2007 and therefore missed out on all the internet hiking fun that was caused by his hike and trail journal, when I spent a few minutes today looking around at the Gatorgump posts on this site from back when he was hiking I was shocked at the level of animosity some people felt towards him and his antics. Not trying to start the debate again, I totally understand why some people didn't approve of his hijinks, but after reading a few of those old threads, all I can say is wow.

HikerRanky
10-14-2012, 22:20
Chances are the reason that the thread was deleted was due to it being a commercial posting in nature. Unlike this thread where people other than the author of the book are discussing it's merits or lack thereof.

Have a great trip Rain Man!

Don H
10-15-2012, 07:17
I read his journal as he was hiking, I thought it was OK. Then I read some of his shelter entries in PA while I was sectioning in Oct. '07. Let's just say his language was extremely rough. I'll pass on is book.

Lone Wolf
10-15-2012, 08:56

Gator Gump was the middle aged man who put his naked azz on the Springer plaque among other things. ]

i spoke to him in Damascus as he was coming through here and asked him if he actually touched his azz to the sign. he said no. never touched it.

Pedaling Fool
10-15-2012, 09:57
i spoke to him in Damascus as he was coming through here and asked him if he actually touched his azz to the sign. he said no. never touched it.He Lied ;) Possibly you intimidated him simply with your over-powering presence :)

Too bad the AT doesn't have an ordinance requiring nudists to place a towel down prior to sitting, like San Fran does http://blogs.findlaw.com/legalgrounds/2011/09/sf-nudists-should-sit-on-towels-rep-weiner-proposes.html

I wonder how many have kissed the plague since :D Glad I'm not the emotional type that sees a need to kiss stuff :banana

max patch
10-15-2012, 09:59
i spoke to him in Damascus as he was coming through here and asked him if he actually touched his azz to the sign. he said no. never touched it.

He said he did in his journal.

He said he did in his book.

No doubt in my mind.

ChinMusic
10-15-2012, 10:03
I can only take so much junior high prose.

max patch
10-15-2012, 10:03

Unless things improve quickly, this would be an AT book I have to grind through simply to finish, rather than one I enjoy, learn from, and can't put down. We'll see when I get the hardback version. I'll post more then, but first I'm going hiking.

Rain Man

This is funny...

If you go to google images and do a search for gatorgump you get 52 results. The last picture is one of you!!

Do you want to tell us anything?

Traveling teacher
10-15-2012, 23:20
Actually I did touch my ass on the plaque, photo was taken down by trail journals as u might recall Wolfe. I enjoyed meeting u in Damascus and u will find that you are mentioned, fondly I might add, in the book. might recall you tried to get me to steal gramma's enshrined shoes.
The ass plant was not meant in disrespect but as a test to see if the weather was too damn cold to depart.
Hope those of you who like juvenile humor or who liked my journal will give the book a chance. Signed GG

Traveling teacher
10-15-2012, 23:35
Yea, many of the posts about me were quite nasty. You should have seen the ones left on my journal calling my wife a whore and my daughter a ****. Wife deleted most of them as she knew a long distance hike is one part physical and nine parts mental. But the white blazers came around in the end. Think you will enjoy the book, like my journal it is different.

HikerMom58
10-16-2012, 06:55
Mind games, smoke and mirrors & lies...... why can't everyone just be real? Real on the internet?:rolleyes:...it might be too much to ask... I think so.

Karma13
10-16-2012, 07:27
You know... if the Approach Trail doesn't kill me, I was thinking of kissing that Springer plaque. Now I'm pretty much abandoning that plan!

Sampson
10-16-2012, 07:41
Yea, many of the posts about me were quite nasty. You should have seen the ones left on my journal calling my wife a whore and my daughter a ****. Wife deleted most of them as she knew a long distance hike is one part physical and nine parts mental. But the white blazers came around in the end. Think you will enjoy the book, like my journal it is different.

I read your 2007 journal yesterday and found it to be thoroughly entertaining and refreshing. You are an equal opportunist when it comes to poking fun at people and society in general, so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Yeah, I'd be a little nauseated if I put my lips on that sign within 24 hours of man-ass being on it, but I think I'd be elated if I found out that Halle berry had done the same thing. The bottom line is it would stop there. The "outrage" that some people feel is bad for their health. Stop taking life so damn seriously and have a little fun. We're only on this merry-go-round once.

Astro
10-16-2012, 09:48
You know... if the Approach Trail doesn't kill me, I was thinking of kissing that Springer plaque. Now I'm pretty much abandoning that plan!

While what Gator Gump did was stupid, immature, and inconsiderate, I am sure it has rained a lot since then. I would go ahead and do what ever you want. Try to not let anyone else steal your joy (HYOH).

max patch
10-16-2012, 11:13
Kissing a plaque or trail sign makes about as much sense as putting your azz on it.

88BlueGT
10-16-2012, 11:24
^^ +1 ............

atmilkman
10-16-2012, 12:52
Gator Gump wrote a book,
Sticking his bare azz on the plaque was all it took,
Now he's got everybody shook,
Like him or not, you'll read his book.

Sorry, I'm bored.

ChinMusic
10-16-2012, 14:22
Gator Gump wrote a book,

He had fun, he had a ball
I saw chapter one in a bathroom stall

PapaGarrettP
10-16-2012, 14:49

Rain Man

Rainman -

Where did she find those free chapter?
PapaG

max patch
10-16-2012, 15:05
Rainman -

Where did she find those free chapter?
PapaG

http://www.amazon.com/Sometimes-Appalachian-Trail-ebook/dp/B009O8MYIK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350414456&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=sometimes+the+appalachian+trail+is+sample

Mags
10-16-2012, 15:07
Gator Gump wrote a book,

I wrote about it on Whiteblaze,
The attention it brought about put me in a daze.

People yelled about the book,
But at this thread...they still took a look.

The author was happy and a bit chagrined,
For all this free publicity on his face put a grin.

HikerMom58
10-16-2012, 18:12
LOL >>>Y"all are a poet and don't know it..............I have to hand it to you guys pretty darn good!! :)

Traveling teacher
10-17-2012, 09:53
Mind games, smoke and mirrors & lies...... why can't everyone just be real? Real on the internet?:rolleyes:...it might be too much to ask... I think so.

Sorry about that Hiker mom. I was trying to come in under the radar in order to listen in and comment on any potential book reviews. But honestly what was I thinking? This is the internet, people are going to say whatever, doesn't matter if they know I am listening or not.

Max Patch uncovered my ruse in a matter of minutes. Good detective that one.

fiddlehead
10-17-2012, 11:41
This azz thing on the plaque, and the attention it has received, reminds me of the time I was hitchhiking around Ireland and went to see the Blarney stone.
I befriended a few locals and they tole me: "Whatever you do, don't kiss the darn thing, we all know that Americans like to do this, so many locals here pee on it"
Good luck with the sales on the book TT.

RED-DOG
10-17-2012, 13:06
Who cares if some naked guy sit on the springer plaque that thing makes a great seat. i talked to him a little bit in 07 the guy is hilarious and i am sure his book will be great. hopefully not the same old thing that every body writes. i am going right now and buying it.

HikerMom58
10-17-2012, 13:58
Sorry about that Hiker mom. I was trying to come in under the radar in order to listen in and comment on any potential book reviews. But honestly what was I thinking? This is the internet, people are going to say whatever, doesn't matter if they know I am listening or not.

Max Patch uncovered my ruse in a matter of minutes. Good detective that one.

No problem TT.... Max Patch is right on top of things seems like..

PapaGarrettP
10-18-2012, 10:47
Thanks, max patch!

88BlueGT
10-18-2012, 11:41
Who cares if some naked guy sit on the springer plaque that thing makes a great seat. i talked to him a little bit in 07 the guy is hilarious and i am sure his book will be great. hopefully not the same old thing that every body writes. i am going right now and buying it.

I will be doing the same. I'm really tired of reading all these books that just repeat themselves over and over and over.

"So TODAY, I was in Virginia, and I hiked a lot, my feet hurt, I was tired and it rained... but I took in some great views and met some guy who I spoke with for an hour"... "and the next day, I hiked, again, 22 miles... and my feet still hurt"

nonsense...

HikerMom58
10-18-2012, 11:48
I will be doing the same. I'm really tired of reading all these books that just repeat themselves over and over and over.

"So TODAY, I was in Virginia, and I hiked a lot, my feet hurt, I was tired and it rained... but I took in some great views and met some guy who I spoke with for an hour"... "and the next day, I hiked, again, 22 miles... and my feet still hurt"

nonsense...

Boringggggggg!! When I first read your post, I thought for a sec. that you were hiking in VA.. LOL. Haha!! I better get off of here ..... :eek:

88BlueGT
10-18-2012, 13:41
No no no LOL. That's what I feel like I read over and over again every time I read a book about the AT. Make it fun, make it interesting!

Definitely looking for something 'different' for my next read on the AT.

ChinMusic
10-18-2012, 14:17
Let us know how many fart jokes..........

HikerMom58
10-18-2012, 14:31
No no no LOL. That's what I feel like I read over and over again every time I read a book about the AT. Make it fun, make it interesting!

Haha!! I knew what you were saying, it just took me a minute. It's old age believe me!! I believe this book would meet ur needs then...go for it, I'd say. :)

max patch
10-20-2012, 15:40
Let us know how many fart jokes..........

Anybody know if you can cut and paste from kindle? Since you asked...here's one which I thot this was a good one:

Do farts have lumps in them? Asked the hiker by the name of Cantankerous. Don’t think so snorted Parta John. Then I just **** my pants, retorted Cantankerous. At least my farts don’t stink, he said, looking over at me.

Reminds me of when I went to see my doctor about this problem, I said, looking around the room for support. I told him I had a problem, that I fart all the time. And I mean constantly.

But doc, I said, at least they don’t stink and you can’t hear them. Matter of fact, I told him: Since I’ve been sitting here, I’ve farted 5 times and, you see, no smell and no sound.

I hesitated to make sure everyone was with me.

So I’m like thrilled when he starts writing me a prescription. That’s great doc, I said. Will this clear up my farts?

He said: No this is to clear your sinuses, and next week I want you back for a hearing test

HikerMom58
10-20-2012, 19:20
Ahhhh .... haha!! That is soooo funny!!! :) ^

ChinMusic
10-20-2012, 20:16
Ahhhh .... haha!! That is soooo funny!!! :) ^

Seriously?

HikerMom58
10-20-2012, 20:44
Seriously?

I'm guessing you don't like jokes... I thought the doctor joke was really funny.... R U serious?

ChinMusic
10-20-2012, 21:30
I'm guessing you don't like jokes... I thought the doctor joke was really funny.... R U serious?
Oh, I love good humor. I read his journal. That stuff made me giggle, in 7th grade. I guess I am not the target audience. That is fine.

HikerMom58
10-20-2012, 22:19
Ok, so what I understand you saying is... you like good humor. His humor, in your opinion, is targeted more for 7th graders? That is fine. :) Got ya~ I like your humor, btw... you have made me laugh a lot. I don't know if you mean to be funny but that's the kind of humor I like ... my brother is like that 2. It makes me giggle.

kayak karl
10-20-2012, 22:29
not his target audience either. in his own post he said it was juvenile humor.

ChinMusic
10-20-2012, 23:11
not his target audience either. in his own post he said it was juvenile humor.

If Steven Wright or Lewis Black had hiked the trial I'd prob die of a heart attack reading their stuff.

kayak karl
10-20-2012, 23:19
I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done.
~Steven Wright
:)

Sarcasm the elf
10-20-2012, 23:28
I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done.
~Steven Wright
:)

I brought my book to my publisher and he said it's great so far, but can you rewrite it? I said screw that, I'll just make a copy." ~ Steven Wright

ChinMusic
10-21-2012, 00:03
"If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent those 6 months on the trail."

Karma13
10-21-2012, 04:42
"Small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it."
~ Steven Wright

Traveling teacher
10-22-2012, 21:41
Oh, I love good humor. I read his journal. That stuff made me giggle, in 7th grade. I guess I am not the target audience. That is fine.

Don't know if I will ever win you over with my humor ChinMusic. I am the first to acknowledge that some of my humor us juvenile in nature but keep in mind the circumstances. After a long day of hiking we had a tired group sitting around the hostel drinking beer and eating potatoes. Farts were inevitable. It was one of those true moments that registered with me. The book is unique, just as my hike was. Give the entire book a chance and you will fine history, love and respect for the AT in addition to seventh grade humor.

ChinMusic
10-22-2012, 22:35
I wish you all the best GG. I'm sure that if I wrote a book you would outsell me 100:1. You are a good writer.

I enjoyed most of your journal or I wouldn't have read it. I did get annoyed at one point with you trying to subvert a business owner, by sneaking many extra folks into a motel room. I do not recall where that was. I have a hard time balancing that with "respect for the AT". It seems like that kind of conduct will make it harder for those that follow you.

Train Wreck
10-23-2012, 08:10
I would be interested in reading it, but why has Amazon priced the Kindle version as high as the print version?

Old Hiker
10-23-2012, 13:15
"Small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it."
~ Steven Wright

http://xkcd.com/1110/

Don't forget to click and drag.

Traveling teacher
10-23-2012, 14:55
I wish you all the best GG. I'm sure that if I wrote a book you would outsell me 100:1. You are a good writer.

I enjoyed most of your journal or I wouldn't have read it. I did get annoyed at one point with you trying to subvert a business owner, by sneaking many extra folks into a motel room. I do not recall where that was. I have a hard time balancing that with "respect for the AT". It seems like that kind of conduct will make it harder for those that follow you.

Yes, I wrote about that scene also. I am certain not all of my antics meet with universal approval. I am a classic study on arrested development. In my defense however I ALWAYS carted out a backpack full of others trash and due to the trail experience have since join AHS and participated in numerous trail maintenance adventures.
Selling a book is much harder than writing one. Don't know why kindle's price is as high as print. I have no control over pricing. They set a high minimum and then I try to break even on editing fees, publishing, and printing and advertising costs....yea good luck with that.

ChinMusic
10-23-2012, 15:16
Yes, I wrote about that scene also. I am certain not all of my antics meet with universal approval. I am a classic study on arrested development. In my defense however I ALWAYS carted out a backpack full of others trash and due to the trail experience have since join AHS and participated in numerous trail maintenance adventures.
The more I hear the more I like. I know my opinion of you, not that that matters, has steadily grown. No one is perfect, well, except LW.....:D

Cosmo
10-23-2012, 20:02
I bought the book (supporting artists is important to me). From a volunteer trail manager viewpoint, can't say I'm enthused about the illegal camping, cheating landlords out of legitimate fees, and spending seemingly every evening in an alcoholic and smoked up haze. The "Trail as Party" scene just makes for more trash at campsites, camping where you aren't supposed to just pisses off the neighbors, or wrecks more of the woods, and being dishonest with trail service providers makes it harder for the next guy. But that's just an opinion from one guy. GG, you may have taken the time to reduce your impacts (as you mentioned in your epilogue) but other readers probably won't.

Still, it's a pretty good story, and your last couple of weeks in Maine were pretty gripping--I appreciated that you didn't try and blame your problems on anything other than the choices you yourself made.

Not the kind of thru hike that I'd like to have, or someone I'd like to hike with--but thanks for the story.

Cosmo

Traveling teacher
10-29-2012, 15:39
Guilty as charged Cosmo! Glad you found something in the book that you enjoyed. Thanks for reading.

fcoulter
11-04-2012, 09:32
A couple of Kindle notes:

1) Every book that's available for the Kindle from the Amazon store has the option of trying a sample. You get the beginning of the book. You can read these samples on a Kindle or on a free Kindle app. So even if you want to buy the dead tree version of the book, you can sample it on your computer for free.

2) If you highlight text on a Kindle, the highlighted text is available as a separate text file on your Kindle. If you plug your Kindle into a computer, you can take the text and copy it. I don't know if there's a size limit, and if you're planning on copying the entire book that way, there are easier ways to break the copy protection. (No, I'm not going to tell you how; I don't want to support ripping off authors.)

3) Several of the newer Kindle models have a solar charging lighted case available. This seems like a great idea for through hikers. The weight of a Kindle (with hundreds of books loaded) is the same as a paperback book or two. (Although a water proof solar charging lighted case would be even better. Maybe someday.)

4) Don't toss your Kindle into your pack. The screen can be broken. My wife and daughters tested this out by stacking books on top of my first Kindle. I bought the really cheap Kindle to replace it.

k1ypp
11-18-2012, 00:13
We having "Gator Gump," otherwise known as "Traveling Teacher," as a speaker at our club next month, 19 December, 2012. If you're in the Sarasota, FL area at that time, do stop by, we love to have guests. The Florida ATC meets at 6:30 pm, starting with a pot-luck meal and then a short business meeting (5-10 minutes) and then the speaker. I hope we see you there. See the club website for more info: http://atcflorida.org/

ChinMusic
11-18-2012, 00:20
Any chance someone can video the presentation and upload it up to YouTube?

k1ypp
11-20-2012, 17:55
Well ChinMusic, I'll ask him if he's interested in doing that. It is entirely up to him. I just hope he keeps his clothes on. :)

ChinMusic
11-20-2012, 18:02
Well ChinMusic, I'll ask him if he's interested in doing that. It is entirely up to him. I just hope he keeps his clothes on. :)
That last line might be the deal breaker.........

Traveling teacher
05-11-2013, 16:16
Hey chin music. You asked some time ago. Here is the link to gatorgump's you tube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GZPkpH30qw

Trillium
05-11-2013, 16:49
Hey chin music. You asked some time ago. Here is the link to gatorgump's you tube video. Mr. Osmond, Since you posted a link to your own review of your own book, I think that your post should be deleted.

Besides which I am offended by you pandering to the lowest common denominator and your lack of integrity and hope that this thread is locked and NO ONE buys your book.

Don H
05-11-2013, 17:01

Gator Gump was the middle aged man who put his naked azz on the Springer plaque among other things.

Hey, at least he didn't carve his name into every shelter he passed! Or did he? I haven't read the book.

chief
05-12-2013, 00:07
Wow, someone is offended by Gator Gump! Reason enough to order his book. If it's anything like his trail journals, it should be a hoot to read (no offense to owls among us).

I think if those offended were to come off their PC high horse, they may find that GG is having them on.

BostonBlue
05-12-2013, 10:03
I am only 50 pages into the book, but parts of it are hilarious. Everyone should read it just for his assessment of WB. He absolutely nailed this site.

So exactly what was the deal with Coyote and Jelly Bean, GG? He scored with her and then stole her cash AND stove??

Train Wreck
05-12-2013, 10:08
He should offer the free Kindle version on Amazon :)

BostonBlue
05-12-2013, 10:45
He should offer the free Kindle version on Amazon :)

Because this site has historically been so good to him? :-? A sample of the book is available on Amazon.

Sarcasm the elf
05-12-2013, 10:52
Personally I thought the book was great and was well worth reading even though I had already read his trail journal.

Aside from being hilarious, the book struck me as a very honest account of his thru hike, I actually appreciated that he documented some of his dumber and less honorable moments. I've read many books by thru hiker's and it's always struck me as odd that so many authors try to make it sound like they managed to spend six months in on the trail without any lapses in judgement.

I really do recommend checking out the book, it's well worth the read.

max patch
05-12-2013, 10:56
If everybody hiked like GG then the trail would be a miserable place to hike.

And you wouldn't be able to get a place to stay in town.

Sarcasm the elf
05-12-2013, 10:58
Hey chin music. You asked some time ago. Here is the link to gatorgump's you tube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GZPkpH30qw

GG, If you're going to post about your book on this site then I really recommend signing all your posts "GatorGump" ( or just adding it to the signature line so it's there automatically). Not everyone knows who you are, and it's just weird to see you discussing the book in the third person. It's a good book, be proud of it and rightfully claim it as your own when you're talking about it.

Sarcasm the elf
05-12-2013, 11:01
If everybody hiked like GG then the trail would be a miserable place to hike.

And you wouldn't be able to get a place to stay in town.

Yes, but we're discussing a memoir, not a hiking guide.

If everyone acted like Tony Stark then the world would be a miserable place too, that didn't make the IronMan movies any less entertaining. :rolleyes:

Mizirlou
05-12-2013, 13:16
“Sometimes the Appalachian Trail Is . . .” is a character driven narrative. The author describes five categories of AT thru hikers – Purist, Evangelist, Athlete, True Pot Head, Party Animal.

I partially indexed the book’s characters from Springer to Boiling Springs (halfway point in the book) because the list itself is a book review of sorts.

500 lbs. of ambulancers
Acne @ Neels Gap
Asian tourists
Barking Spider
Bat-fink
Beatnik
Bert
Bill and Casey
Buckets
Cannonball
Carpenter
Clem/Slim/BillyBob
Coyote
Crazy Bear
Cub Scout pack
Curt of Standing Bear
Dances With Sloths
Dead Man Walking
Dr. D---head
Diesel
Dirtnap
Doodles
Dorothy and Toto
Dude
Eulah
Florida Jack
Frolicking Dinosaur
Genesis
Ghetto Blaster
Gorilla
Guinness and Kilty
Habitual Hiker
Jelly Bean
Karan
Linda and Rob
Loafer
Lone Wolf
Lumpy
Mary and Terry
Miss Janet
Missionary Mike
Morning Wood
My Eyeball
Neighbor Bob
Paloma
Parson Brown
Patty O
Pirate
Pukes In Mouth
Queen Diva
Random Man
Rhododendrons
Roadrunner
Sandwich
Savin Slavin Haven
Scott, son of an Irishman
Shakey Leggs and Heater
Stoneage
Stumbles
Talks A Lot / Shake ‘n’ Bake
Tennessee Twins
Three Time’s A Charm
Toe Jam
Traveling Teacher
Triple Deuce
Umbrella Lady
Waffle
Weebles
Yorkie
Zoria

Gator Gump’s 2007 TJ guest book is another hilarious source of tangy entertainment.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=166702

Furlough
05-12-2013, 15:34
Besides which I am offended by you pandering to the lowest common denominator and your lack of integrity and hope that this thread is locked and NO ONE buys your book.
...and NO ONE buys your book..... Too late for that - I bought it, read and liked it. Seems like others did too.

max patch
05-12-2013, 15:57
I bought it too.

GG both literally and figuratively s_h_i_t on the trail and on service providers.

I wish I had spent my money on someone who treated the trail and its providers with at least a modicum of respect.

rocketsocks
05-12-2013, 20:54
Gator Gump wrote a book,

Sorry, I'm bored.

Gator Gump wrote a book,

it was only his bum, he's probably not alone
but he didn't pee on it
like the blarney stone

mfleming
05-12-2013, 21:30
Read the sample on amazon.com. Got to agree with Max Patch. Not very impressive

tridavis
05-12-2013, 21:43
I read and enjoyed it very much. Too many people in this world are offened by the simplest things. Was up on Springer for the first time last year and his book came to mind. I almost repeated what he did and posted the picture here for the masses to enjoy. Rock on Gator Gump!!!! There are way too many uptight people on this site.

rocketsocks
05-13-2013, 00:12
So exactly what was the deal with Coyote and Jelly Bean, GG? He scored with her and then stole her cash AND stove??Dude No way...that's so gangsta!

Traveling teacher
05-16-2013, 22:03
Hey all gator Gump here, also signed on as traveling teacher. Sorry if some are offended by plugging the book but I did not start this thread and am just pushing it for all it is worth. I have seen numerous threads about other books published, such as the very well written AOWL book and A Walk in the Woods, both very entertaining.
If you don't talk about your book and you have very little money then how else can you inform?
As for my disrespect of the trail, nothing could be further from the truth. Since completing my hike I have joined several trail maintenance organizations and trails are my favorite charity. Read the book before u pass judgement.
As for signing on as traveling teacher, i will admit that was an initial attempt to see what others were saying
without bias. But that mask was unvieled long ago. Thank you for the positive comments, they have been far more numerous than the negative.

T.S.Kobzol
05-16-2013, 22:37
I read your journal in its entirety after reading this thread. I did not feel any disrespect. No blind devotion either... but no disrespect. Good luck with your book.

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2

cphobes
05-17-2013, 08:31
GG, I read your journal when you hiked and thought it was great. I'll likely get your book at some point too.

Thanks for sharing your journey.

-Cphobes

Doughnut
05-17-2013, 10:00
GG, I read your journals, and bought your book, I am currently readin The Great Gatsby, but couldn't stand your book taunting me, so I put down an classic and read the first three chapters of yours!!! Great read.

Funny, people say "Hike your own hike" when they mean "hike your hike the way I think you should....."

max patch
05-17-2013, 12:01
Gator Gump in his book bragged about sneaking 4 other hikers into his room in Manchester Center. Said when they left everything was black from the mud - carpet, walls, bedding, towels. Plugged the shower and the toilet. Said the owner probably wouldn't be too happy about renting to future thru hikers....

Mr Gump owns a restaurant. I wonder how he'd feel if 1 hiker came in and paid for the buffett, then snuck food to 4 other hikers, and then the 5 of them left his bathroom in the same condition as he left the hotel.

Entertaining writer? Yep. Friend of the trail? Hell no.

John B
05-17-2013, 12:29
"Gator Gump in his book bragged about sneaking 4 other hikers into his room in Manchester Center. Said when they left everything was black from the mud - carpet, walls, bedding, towels. Plugged the shower and the toilet. Said the owner probably wouldn't be too happy about renting to future thru hikers...."

GG, since you acknowledge that you did it and that it wasn't exactly your most ethical moment, why not set things square by sending them a check equal to what 4 hikers would have paid plus $50 or so for the cost of the shower and toilet, then maybe people here will start to call it square? By doing so, at least you'd have a cleaner conscience. What do you say?

Doughnut
05-17-2013, 13:48
I too find it ironic that, as a small business owner, he'd find enjoyment out of ripping off another small business owner.
At least he admits to it, and it was something he experienced.

Astro
05-17-2013, 14:10
GG, I read your journals, and bought your book, I am currently readin The Great Gatsby, but couldn't stand your book taunting me, so I put down an classic and read the first three chapters of yours!!! Great read.

Funny, people say "Hike your own hike" when they mean "hike your hike the way I think you should....."

Sorry Doughnut, it is not funny, and if you think it is you may want to go searching for your moral compass.
To most people HYOH means to do whatever you want on things that do NOT impact other people. Gator Gump in his actions has gone way beyond that and is impacting other people (hikers, businesses). When you start making things difficult for future hikers and cheating businesses that service the trail community, you have gone way beyond HYOH to being a jerk and even a criminal.

BostonBlue
05-17-2013, 18:37
Sorry Doughnut, it is not funny, and if you think it is you may want to go searching for your moral compass.
To most people HYOH means to do whatever you want on things that do NOT impact other people. Gator Gump in his actions has gone way beyond that and is impacting other people (hikers, businesses). When you start making things difficult for future hikers and cheating businesses that service the trail community, you have gone way beyond HYOH to being a jerk and even a criminal.

"Moral Compass?" I can't believe the outrage over this hiker. Did you actually read his book? Well, I did. I honestly expected far worse from the manner in which others have reacted. From what I read from book and journal: the guy had a propensity for taking his clothes off; partied his way up the trail; and did not treat a hotel owner well. Who CARES if this guy sits naked on the Springer Mt. plaque or parties too hard? And while I definitely agree that he should reimburse the hotel owner and send a check - what he did has been done by hundreds of AT thru-hikers in the past. Doesn't make it right, but hardly puts him in the same category as what you are describing.

I actually admired the guy in many ways for hiking his own hike in the manner that he saw fit. In real life, apparently he owns a few restaurants; is quite the family man; has worked at maintaining trails and financially contributed to help the AT. Did he come across as an obnoxious overgrown frat boy at times? Yes, he did. But I think I'd rather hike with him than someone who judgmentally feels they must dictate to others how they should hike the AT or live their life and acts like he is Attila the Hun for a few pranks. As I see it, the only thing this man is really "guilty" of is the hotel room.

The person that should be crucified here is Coyote. He is the guy who apparently slept with Jelly Bean and disappeared the next day with all her cash as well as her stove! Now THAT is a man with low morals.

Doughnut
05-19-2013, 11:53
gator,
Just finished oyur book, INCREDIBLE!!! Thanks for writing and sharing with us, what a journey!

WingedMonkey
05-19-2013, 14:29
The person that should be crucified here is Coyote. He is the guy who apparently slept with Jelly Bean and disappeared the next day with all her cash as well as her stove! Now THAT is a man with low morals.

Is he trying to sell a book too?

Traveling teacher
06-05-2013, 22:15
gator,
Just finished oyur book, INCREDIBLE!!! Thanks for writing and sharing with us, what a journey!

Why thank you doughnut! Don't get on here often but so happy you enjoyed the book! It has been selling well and with the exception of just a few the reviews have been off the charts great!

T-Rx
06-06-2013, 08:14
I read the GG book and thought it was great entertainment. I do agree that trashing the hotel room was not the ethical thing to do but other than that I laughed my way through the entire book.

cphobes
07-03-2013, 08:23
Read the book, thought it was great! Near the end was a bit boring with the cowboys but that's ok always tough to end a good book or hike. As usual I get teary eyed when hikers finish their hike, same for GG as well as many other journals I've read on trailjournals etc. I can only hope to someday join the ranks of thru-hikers, till then sections are my journey.

As for all the hub-bub online about his journey, I think some people think a bit too highly of themselves.

GG, thanks again for sharing,
-Cphobes