PDA

View Full Version : What the Trail Has Done for Me.

Maddoxsjohnston
10-14-2012, 21:49
Just wanted to share a quick story about how awesome the trail can be.

This July I was doing a little 3 night section hike around the Damascus area, and on the end of day 2, when I was pulling into the shelter, I met a really cool fellow hiker. His name was James. I got to talking with him, and we shared a lot of common interests. We even lived near each other (myself in South Carolina, him in North Carolina). We chilled by the fire (it got down into the low 50's!) and goofed around for a while, and eventually said our goodbyes since he was planning on leaving much earlier than me (I enjoy a hot breakfast).

Fast forward a bit. After a tough, long day (18 miles) of hiking the next day, I was glad to see the next shelter which spelled some rest and a meal. And much to my surprise, there was James! As it turns out we were both heading SOBO, though he was planning on hiking two more days whereas I was going to get to my truck the following day. We talked even more, an he told me how proud of himself he was since 18 miles was one of his most impressive days. He had about 22 miles to go to his truck, and he told me how bad he wanted to get there soon and get some real food (y'all know how old GORP gets :D). I convinced him to get up early the following day and try to crank out the 22 since he would be happy he had done it afterwards. He agreed. We exchanged contact information, and after a while, went to bed.

I made it to my truck the following day at about noon since it was only 7 miles away from the shelter. Driving back to South Carolina, munching on a cheeseburger, I was glad to be finished, though I realized my buddy still had a ways to go. 8 hours later,as I was pulling into my driveway, I got a text from James saying that he made it and he was so glad I suggested for him to push for the 22 miler. He sent me a Facebook request and I accepted.

Now, 4 months later, James and I are getting ready to go do the Smokies together next week.

Not only has the trail given me good memories, it has given me a good friend :)

evansprater
10-14-2012, 21:54
That's a great story! That's what it's all about, really, getting closer to nature and to our fellow humans. Love it.

HikerMom58
10-15-2012, 10:31
That is a great story!! :)

Creek Dancer
10-15-2012, 11:09
That is an awesome story. Made me smile. :)

max patch
10-15-2012, 11:12
RickB has a good story if he see's this.

Josh Calhoun
10-15-2012, 11:30
the trail is pretty awesome isnt it. i met a hiker back in the spring while doing a section around the NOC. hiked a couple days together, killed some beers at the NOC. swapped contact information and facebooked. now i can see pics of his hike and also sending him some drop boxes.

ParkRat09
10-15-2012, 18:47
Stuff like this is what I am MOST excited about when I thru hike next April! If you have any questions about the GSMNP section let me know! I used to live 45 min from the park and did that section in about 5 days a few months ago. You're gonna love it!

Maddoxsjohnston
10-15-2012, 20:53
It's amazing how something as "fundamental" as a forest can bring us both closer to ourselves and to one another.

Del Q
10-15-2012, 21:02
GREAT STORY, thanks for sharing & opening up.

Agreed, it is weird how close you can get to someone with like one night together in a shelter, hiking for a period of time together, what have you.

In 6 years I have experienced this a few times, the AT is a magical place................just love it and what it brings.

RedRunnerJumper
10-16-2012, 03:40
Thanks for sharing such an awesome story!

88BlueGT
10-16-2012, 09:48
Agreed, good story.

I'm waiting to meet my future wife on the trail :)

HikerMom58
10-16-2012, 10:20
Agreed, good story.

I'm waiting to meet my future wife on the trail :)

Ok... that's cool 88BlueGT ^ that's a good plan ^ It will be magical when it happens :0) Ya know.. I've often wondered if WB should have a thread for peeps lookin for that kind of connection. Especially after I read that Chaco Taco found his wife on here. Hummm.......

-SEEKER-
10-16-2012, 10:41
Thanks for the story. I had a similar experience. Back in 2009 I met a woman on the Trail and we hiked together for about 2 1/2 weeks. We are still friends who email and talk on the phone and we are planning to finish the Trail together next year. The Trail has also brought me out of my shell and given me self confidence.

snifur
10-16-2012, 10:41
WB should def not have a dating thread. Bad idea.

-SEEKER-
10-16-2012, 10:55
Thanks for the story. I had a similar experience. Back in 2009 I met a woman on the Trail and we hiked together for about 2 1/2 weeks. We are still friends who email and talk on the phone and we are planning to finish the Trail together next year. The Trail has also brought me out of my shell and given me self confidence.
I should have mentioned that I am a 52 year old female and my friend is a72 year old female. My husband was happy that I met and befriended another female since I mostly talk about the guys who I meet, since there are more of them on the trail.

Creek Dancer
10-16-2012, 10:58
WB should def not have a dating thread. Bad idea.

Agreed. Let's not turn this place into a meat market.

"Atlas"
10-16-2012, 23:23
Whats nice Maddox is that at your age, being in High School, you are learning to take chances when they are given, to keep an open mind and to invest in the future.

HikerMom58
10-16-2012, 23:30

Well yeah, you both are prob. right.... it would turn into a meat market. :( It seemed like a good idea in theory....

gizzy bear
10-17-2012, 14:21
very cool :D

hikerboy57
10-17-2012, 17:29

right here on wb ive become friendly with quite a few members. coach lou and i have hiked together several times, rasty is planning on hiking maine with me next august, and there are plans to hook up with a few other "regulars "here.
but dating? no, bad idea.