Former Admin
12-26-2002, 00:41
I heard bears like blood just like sharks .... is this true

Dirtyoldman
12-26-2002, 01:27
bears eat meat when convieniently availible:D

Bandana Man
12-26-2002, 01:31
I read that somewhere, too, but can't remember the source. Here is some info about bears and odors. The following information is printed on the back of a Trails Illustrated map of Glacier National Park:

"Avoid smelly cosmetics. Bears may be attracted to perfumes, hair sprays, and other odors. Human sexual activity may attract bears. Women should be extra careful as bears may be attracted to them during their menstrual period."

The following slightly different info is on the back of a Trails Illustrated map of Great Smoky Mountains National Park:

"Use proper food storage, pack out all food and litter, keep a clean camp, and keep tents and sleeping bags free of all food and food odors."

There is no bear info on the back of my ATC maps of GA and NC. The Glacier map recommends carrying bear spray and knowing how to use it. The rangers in Grand Tetons also urged me to carry it and I did. I'll probably make it a standard gear item in bear country.

Bandana Man
12-26-2002, 01:38
I didn't write this stuff, I'm just repeating what it says on the back of my map!:D

DebW
12-28-2002, 21:50
Originally posted by Bandana Man
[B]Women should be extra careful as bears may be attracted to them during their menstrual period."
/B]

Just did some checking on this. There is no clear evidence that this is true. Statistical analysis of bear attacks does not bear this out. Attacks on men are more prevelant than attacks on women (menstruating or not). In experiments where bears were presented with various items of bait (garbage, food, used tampons, new tampons), polar bears were found to be attracted to used tampons, but not black bears. This concern was apparently generated by a single bear attack in Glacier National Park by a grizzly. Seems this is a non-issue on the AT.