PDA

View Full Version : Good place to camp for a couple days in Georgia.

Transient Being
10-15-2012, 09:14
Greetings,

Like the title states, where would be a good place to camp for a couple days preferably in Georgia. And don't tell me Blood Mountain. I've done that three times already, looking for something new. It doesn't have to be on the trail. I'm gonna have two dogs with me, and one only has three legs and is overweight, so I'm not gonna be doing much backpacking. Just looking for a good place to camp and enjoy the mountains for a couple days.

Thanks.

Lone Wolf
10-15-2012, 09:15
Amicalola state park has a nice campground

ATMountainTime
10-15-2012, 09:22
If you are wanting to stay in the state parks, Cloudland Canyon to the North West is GORGEOUS this time of year, you camp at the top of the rim, and can hike down into the canyon, but it's ALOT of stairs. The canyon walk in the bottom is really pretty.

Fort Mountain is also very nice as well, and Talulah gorge is pretty nice too. Just got back from Morganton Point, it was very nice and quiet.

As lone wolf stated, Amicalola is nice as well, the lodge food is pretty good for buffet....just dont do it during the Appalachian Trail Celebration in tornado's like we did last year. :)

max patch
10-15-2012, 09:38
Drive to 3 Forks (mile 4) and continue on the fs rd. There are beautiful flat campsites on the Noontootla. Obviously close to the AT if you want to hike a bit.

Gray Blazer
10-15-2012, 10:20
I like to do free car camping. On the road to Indian Grave Gap is a coupla nice sites. My favorite is near the back trail to Rocky Mount (and the AT). There are other trails to hike around there as well as Tray Mountain. My dogs loved it there.

Suckerfish
10-15-2012, 10:22
Three forks you can drive to, I was just up there this weekend, there are several camping spots along the river there. Take FS road 55 off of doublehead gap road. Here are some pics I took of three forks and long creek falls, about a quarter mile north on the AT from three forks.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/197495_4780390869948_756745539_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/552280_4780405510314_2856532_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/306531_4780379229657_1039529284_n.jpg

Suckerfish
10-15-2012, 10:23
Forest service road 58 my bad, it is the one on the dirt road portion of double head gap north of the one that takes you to springer mtn.

Suckerfish
10-15-2012, 10:35
Dockery Lake is also a good spot, it has official camping areas and is a campground. It is off of HWY 60 just south of Woody Gap in Suches, Ga, there is an approach trail up to the AT from there.

Also Lake Winfield Scott if you want a nice campground with showers. there are two approach trails to the AT from there, one to Jarard Gap and the other to slaughter creek gap.

Tray mountain is also a good camping destination, there is a FS road that heads up about a mile shy of the summit, it is 8 miles from the hwy, a long windy dirt road. I saw 3 bears up there this past August hiking that section from unicoi gap.

Transient Being
10-15-2012, 10:45
Awesome guys! thanks so much! I love whiteblase <3 (sorry the letter past y doesn't work on my computer!) lol Preciate the pictures suckerfish, that may well be where I end up! I believe I've actually been there before but just passing through.

Thanks for ALL the suggestions guys!!, I'm sure they're all great places. Keep 'em coming!

Suckerfish
10-15-2012, 11:06
Awesome guys! thanks so much! I love whiteblase <3 (sorry the letter past y doesn't work on my computer!) lol Preciate the pictures suckerfish, that may well be where I end up! I believe I've actually been there before but just passing through.

Thanks for ALL the suggestions guys!!, I'm sure they're all great places. Keep 'em coming!

This has turned into my stomping ground this year, I did the section from Springer to neels back in july and it just about killed me, I learned so much from that experience, what to take and not to take on long distance hikes. I am fairly new to this community, my first experience hiking the AT was actually back in January of this past year, my girlfriend and I went for a drive and passed over woody gap, we pulled over and decided to hike 2 miles north and ended up on top of big cedar. since then I have had the fever and can't get rid of it. Hope to attempt a thru hike one day, until then I will enjoy day and section hikes as well as car camping along the forrest service roads.

You could also hike up to springer from 3 forks, it's 4 miles and gradually uphill, there is a FS road about a mile shy of springer, you could drive up to it if you're feeling lazy. Not sure what the leash laws are but this area is pretty busy this time of year, I saw about 10 cars parked along the road heading up to three forks.

Transient Being
10-15-2012, 14:37
Cool man! Glad you found the trail. There's nothin' like it. I dabble in backpacking for about 15 years now. did a 75 and 100 mile trip and several shorter ones and this year I pulled a 700 miler. Nothin' like it. :)