PDA

View Full Version : Trail Update: Olustee to Turkey Run

JaxHiker
10-15-2012, 10:30
If you've hiked this section recently I apologize. We were out maintaining the section this weekend and I was surprised at how overgrown it was. It took us considerably longer to whip back into shape than I'd planned but it looks significantly better. I've flagged the boardwalks that are in need of repair (most importantly the dangerous 310' boardwalk in the cypress stand just west of Ocean Pond) so we can get them taken care of. There were a few trees down across the trail and my chainsaw cert expired so I'm trying to get the USFS to help us out.

I only had one mower this time so we need to go back and do another pass the entire length of the section but even with the single pass it should be much more enjoyable to hike. Our group did a great job of cutting back the vines, palmetto, etc and the mower took care of the rest. We were able to saw through one tree that was blocking the trail to the privy at Osceola Shelter so that should make taking care of business a little easier. :)

If you find yourself out in the woods anywhere between Gold Head and Stephen Foster and you come across issues please let me know. I'm over an hour away and can't put feet on the ground as much as I'd like so I rely on reports from the hikers. If you see blazing issues (missing/confusing), blowdowns, boardwalk/bridge problems, etc) please drop me a line: trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org.

Thanks!

PS There was also a work hike yesterday between Lake Butler and Swift Creek. They didn't quite make it to Swift Creek but are coming back next weekend. I understand the water is up so if you're going the way be prepared. We only ran into a few spots of water this weekend with the area coming out of Olustee being the worst.

moytoy
10-15-2012, 17:47
Thanks for your (and others) hard work. I don't get much north of ONF but I'm going to try to get up to Olustee this winter.

JaxHiker
10-15-2012, 17:57
Our pleasure! Let me know if you make it up this way. Here's what it looked like looking towards Ocean Pond from the road into the campground.

Before
http://photos2.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/c/0/e/6/600_169249382.jpeg

After
http://photos3.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/e/6/9/8/600_169259032.jpeg

Wish I would've gotten a better angle so you could see down the trail where my friend was standing but you get the idea.

moytoy
10-15-2012, 18:18
Good Job....I see a lot of Fl trails that look like that top pic. Especially toward the end of the summer.