PDA

View Full Version : NOC to russell field shelter and out into cades cove

blackwater slim
10-15-2012, 11:14
Seems to be about 48 miles. Is this ok for 4 days? What about shuttle possibilities? Ideas on permits needed? Going next week and wanted to do more than the 30 on the AT from NOC to Fontana. Thanks and will be checking for info. Thanks

HooKooDooKu
10-15-2012, 11:44
You'll need to call the GSMNP Cackcountry Reservations Office at 865-436-1231 to get reservations at any Campsite/Shelter you are planning to stay at on the AT in the park. They will give you a reservation number. You'll just need to use that number when you use the self-serve back-country permit box located at the Fontanta Dam Visitor's Center.

I'm not familier with the AT from NOC to Fontana, so I can't comment on your mileage while outside the park.
However, once inside the park, it's a little less than 5 miles to the 1st camp site (#113). From there to Cades Cove is about a 13-14 mile hike.
After #113, the next spot is Mollies Ridge Shelter. Cades Cove is only 8 miles from the shelter, but the shelter is about 11-12 miles from Fontana Dam.

ParkRat09
10-15-2012, 18:43
^^All correct info

I also cannot comment on the section outside the GSMNP but know the Park backwards and forwards. The section from Fontana to Russell Field shelter is pretty sharply uphill for most of the time, however, if memory serves me correctly from the shelter to Cades Cove is easy and beautiful. When are you planning on going? The Smokies is PACKED this time of year and the shelters fill up all the time. So, you really need to reserve these shelters well in advance of your trip especially if you are going with anyone else.

As for shuttles, there are many companies that operate inside the park but I really like 'A Walk in the Woods'. They are SUPER friendly and reasonably priced and will take you anywhere you need to go. Not sure if they will take you to NOC if that's where your car is tho. Could always hitchhike :)

http://www.awalkinthewoods.com/pages/wd_shuttle.htm

joshuasdad
10-15-2012, 19:30
I did Fontana to NOC two weekends ago in two days, but...

1) I was "freedom" packing
2) I was SOBO
3) I slept at The Hike Inn

From NOC you need to climb one of the longest sustained uphills in the Southern Appalachians, then descend relatively steeply to Stecoah Gap, and then the fun starts. The so-called Jacob's Ladder is not that high, but makes up for it in pure steepness, perhaps the steepest 1/4 mile on the AT that does not involve ladders or steps. Once past Jacob's Ladder there is relative flat, then a roller coaster of down, up, down, with a rocky trail (for the Southern Applalachians anyway) and a large number of blowdowns, some of them huge. Then a relatively easy descent to Yellow Creek Gap. Between Yellow Creek Gap and Fontana is a moderate up, then a long, reasonably graded downhill to Fontana.

I think this would be most comfortable as a 4.5 day/4 night hike, with stops on Cheoah Bald, somewhere between Stecoah Gap and Yellow Creek Gap (or the shelter just past it), the "Fontana Hilton" shelter (with resupply at Fontana Village), and Russell Field Shelter, but you could do it as a 4 day hike, perhaps sleeping at Campsite #113 on the third night.

Russell Field was free this coming weekend as of last week (I just made a reservation there) but the nearby Spence Field Shelter was full. So advance planning may be important.

Hope you have a great hike!

blackwater slim
10-17-2012, 08:37
Thanks for the info. Finalizing plans. Any further info would be welcome also. Thanks

blackwater slim
01-01-2013, 15:15
ok did the trip described above...this is frustrating me as i have typed it in twice with a detailed description and the webpage shuts off and I lost both descriptions...Yolks (because he brings the powdered eggs) and I did the trip Oct 24 and finished on Oct 27th. 179+ miles done on AT and want to finish AT in GSMNP ASAP!

Rasty
01-01-2013, 15:47
ok did the trip described above...this is frustrating me as i have typed it in twice with a detailed description and the webpage shuts off and I lost both descriptions...Yolks (because he brings the powdered eggs) and I did the trip Oct 24 and finished on Oct 27th. 179+ miles done on AT and want to finish AT in GSMNP ASAP!

For longer posts, type them in MSWord then copy and paste it over. No chance of loosing everything.

blackwater slim
01-02-2013, 23:10
ok thanks...will try next time.

blackwater slim
04-15-2013, 18:53
April 1st thru 5th saw us back in at Cades Cove into Russell field Shelter, stayed at Spence field, Double springs, Icewater springs and Tri-Corner knob shelters, before coming out at Davenport Gap. It was cold with lots of snow and ice. Yolks and I have done the AT section by section to Davenport Gap by hiking from our start two and a half years ago at the approach trail and Springer. Met some cool and amazing people that were thru-hiking. Wanderlust, Postman, All The Way, Goose, Sunshine, and Handstand are the ones that stand out the most. Oh also Fox Trot and Waffles. Buffalo had a fire going in Tri-corner shelter when we got in there that may have kept me just warm enough to keep from getting hypothermia. Overall, as usual a great experience. I've been to Clingman's Dome I think 5 times since I was 8 yrs old. This was the first trip you could even see the ground (due to fog) and the view was 70 miles...fantastic!!!!!!!

blackwater slim
04-15-2013, 18:54
Also saw Hoops...yep carrying a Hula Hoop

blackwater slim
04-15-2013, 18:55
Also Thanks to the folks from Florida spending their vacation handing out food at Newfound Gap. Best bologna and cheese sandwich ever!!! thanks for being there

Rasty
04-16-2013, 00:58
Just did almost the same section. Went from Steacoah Gap (14 miles south of Fontana) to Davenport Gap. Got lucky with shelters being full and tented every night. Meet some interesting people along the way.

thunderbolt1971
04-16-2013, 05:09
Hey Slim,
This is Goose. I enjoyed meeting you and yolks very much. I am in Erwin, Tn this week and heading for Hampton, Tn. In about 10 more days I'll be in Virginia. Glad you made it home safely and got thawed out ok. That was brutal that week. The weather has improved a lot since then. Temps in 70's and a lot of sun. Hope to run into you again sometime. Take Care.

blackwater slim
04-21-2013, 14:22
Goose, Glad to hear of your progress! I hope you missed the virus that was reported in the area north of GSMNP. Keep on truckin'!