PDA

View Full Version : Golite phantom vs. marmot precip

wren
05-13-2005, 03:05
Anyone have this shell? Is it worth the 200 bucks? It looks a bit heavier and more durable than a marmot precip. Seems like the phantom might be more useful in winter situations, but for three season use, would you just stick to something like a precip (and save a couple ounces and a bit of packspace in the process)?

Thanks for any ideas...

Teatime
05-13-2005, 07:40
I have a Marmot Precip and like it very much. However, I haven't had to wear it in the rain that much either. I've heard thru-hikers complain that they lose their water proof characteristic pretty fast after time in the rain. It is a good shell over my fleece jacket. Have you heard of Frogg Toggs? They are light, cheap, highly breathalbe and keep out the rain better than just about anything else out there. I'm gonna get me some one of these day.

Peaks
05-13-2005, 08:17
Let's see. The Precip is lighter and cheaper. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

Durability? I haven't had a problem with my Precip.

Winter? I wear different gear in the winter. I'm concerned about snow, not rain.

bulldog49
05-13-2005, 09:53
Let's see. The Precip is lighter and cheaper. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

Durability? I haven't had a problem with my Precip.

Winter? I wear different gear in the winter. I'm concerned about snow, not rain.

Don't know about the "no brainer" part. The Phantom weighs only 10 oz, same as the Precip, breathes much better and is more durable. A better jacket all around but costs more.