PDA

View Full Version : Hiking the AT for the first time

mdj05f
10-15-2012, 12:21
If starting the AT in May...(dates have been forced, not much I can change), which way should I hike? I'm hearing lots of mixed opinions. Small group of hikers, young, in shape. I don't want to end up starting in or hitting crazy cold weather!

Lone Wolf
10-15-2012, 12:26
go northbound

pokeberry
10-15-2012, 12:27
Definitely south. The northern section can close in severe weather and you would be disappointed if you made it that far to not be able to finish.

oldbear
10-15-2012, 12:48
Baxter State Park Authority says that you can't climb Katahdin any earlier than 5/ 15 or any later than 10/15 and BSPA can and does close their mountain to climbing due to bad weather ....So you have to leave a little wiggle room on the day that you're gonna start or end your hike in Maine
Personally I would do a NOBO flip flop bc in addition to the ever present black flies Maine in May is wet and really muddy
Hike NOBO until the Delaware Water Gap > Take a Martz bus into Manhattan > # 1 train uptown to 116th st /Columbia > M-60 Bus to LGA >Fly LGA to BGR

turtle fast
10-15-2012, 12:51
I agree with Lone Wolf, go northward as the weather in GA will be much nicer and you have ample time to get to Mount Kathadin before it closes. Even if for some reason you started to go slower than you thought and that park closing date on Kathadin seems too close for comfort, then you can flip up north and hike from Kathadin southward to where you left off. This "flip flop" is done a lot. The benefit is you get much better weather than going southbound and then fight the biteing blackflies once they hatch in the north.

max patch
10-15-2012, 13:34
If you have to start in May then the only sensible answer is NOBO.

snifur
10-15-2012, 13:41
the OP needs to account for his personal preferences and address them to make a decision. for example, does OP want to be around lots, some or no people. what is the preference for weather and etc.

mdj05f
10-15-2012, 14:09
Thanks everyone! You've been a big help. My biggest and really only concern about the hike was the weather. Not concerned about number of hikers. Just avoiding the cold and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Didn't know about the "flip flop" thanks for all the helpful info!!!

bigcranky
10-15-2012, 21:06
If you HAVE to start in May, start in Harper's Ferry and hike north to Katahdin. Then flip back to HF and hike south to Springer. The weather will be perfect the whole way, you'll start with some moderate terrain, and you'll get to "finish" twice.

mdj05f
10-16-2012, 08:55
thanks for the tip!

Odd Man Out
10-16-2012, 12:33
thanks for the tip!

This page from the ATC has several options for different thru hike schedules, comparing the advantages and disadvantages for each.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start

Bigcrankey's suggestion is called "head start - May" on that page. The "Flip flop" is also discussed, as well as others.

Darwin13
10-16-2012, 15:41
Personal preference for myself is to always hike north. I've done several weeks of hiking the last 2 Mays from PA-VT. It's been nothing but beautiful. I could only imagine what the south was like. Prob even a little too hot. BUT depending on how fast a hiker you are you could meet some COOOOLLDD weather up in VT NH and ME. I was just in the Bennington area on the AT (Green mountains southern vermont) and during the day was not bad while hiking but it got quite cold. we woke up to 34 degrees (not ridiculously cold but def a brisk morning) and it was only getting colder. Met a thru there that was hiking since april and seven months later he was only at Vermont (as if 1600 miles is ONLY). The pace he had had him finishing after the new year which is obviously almost impossible. With the weather getting colder I cant see mayn people lasting in the whites and Maine in very cold weather. Again though, personally, weather be damned, it's to the north for me.

wornoutboots
10-16-2012, 15:57
NOBO & Flip if you need or want too

mdj05f
10-16-2012, 15:57
I'm going to be optimistic about our timing. We can't go any earlier than May, but can go on the first. There are three of us, one is a marathon runner, one is into body building, and I'm a long distance runner myself. I think physically we can make good time. Also, to save money we are avoiding going into many towns unless absolutely neccessary, which of course will help cut down on time. We will be prepared for colder weather up north, but I'm pretty confident we can finish before it gets too bad. I hate the cold! But I'll endure it for a nice view.

wornoutboots
10-16-2012, 15:59
Tehre are no reasons why you shouldn't be able to make it in 4 months. This year I believe several folks did it in under 4 months

mdj05f
10-16-2012, 16:03
exactly what I wanted to hear! And part of my motivation for speed is my puppy I'm leaving behind, having stresses about that.

swjohnsey
10-16-2012, 16:35
You can do it in four months but it won't be easy. Another thing to consider it that most folks won't finish for one reason or another. The chances of all three of you finishing is about 1 in 125, of all of you finishing together . . . how many zeroes in a million?

mdj05f
10-16-2012, 16:41
well I know neither one of the others will keep going if I don't. So I'm planning on hanging in there for myself AND for them. Plus, with the attitudes we have.....we've been in many situations where we should have quit, but that's never happened unless they had to pull us out on a stretcher!

swjohnsey
10-16-2012, 16:55
Hiking in a group makes some things easier, some things harder. Helps with expenses by sharing room in town. On the trail you will only be goin' as fast as the slowest person. Every year quite a few folks are pulled out on stretchers.

mdj05f
10-16-2012, 17:06
Ya, we are keeping the group to only 3 for that reason. I feel more comfortable with the two others by my side, but wouldn't want anymore than that.

swjohnsey
10-16-2012, 17:15
Plan on taking about half your time hiking the last third of the trail. Four months will put you finishing September. You probably won't hit cold weather. If you do move as fast as you think you will finish in October and probably see some cold weather in Maine.

mdj05f
10-16-2012, 17:18
got it. thanks for the tips!