PDA

View Full Version : First time hiker; May

mdj05f
10-15-2012, 14:05
Looking for help on a few topics. Hiking the AT for the first time, planned on NOBO, can't leave until May but we are a small group of young, in shape hikers, I'm thinking we will make it up north before weather gets really cold?? Is this realistic?

We are all on a limited budget, I like reading all the gear recommendations, but we are used to roughing it and are of course concerned with safety and being prepared, but not so much with fancy bells and whistles. Any advice for saving money by not purchasing all brand new gear? Are there past hikers who pass on their equiptment for a much smaller price?

Thanks!:)

88BlueGT
10-15-2012, 14:54
Check the forums for used gear, its a good place to start. Also, if you are interested in making your own gear you can certainly save a lot of weight/time going that route as well.

mdj05f
10-15-2012, 15:06
awesome! thanks a lot.

jakedatc
10-15-2012, 18:15
This might be the perfect trail journal for you to read.. it sounds like you have similar experience as when she left.

http://www.fivemillionfootprints.blogspot.com/

mdj05f
10-15-2012, 19:00
Great. I'm reading anything I can get my hands on. Looks interesting. Thanks for the input :)

Odd Man Out
10-15-2012, 20:15
Average time to thru hike is about 5.5 months. If you are indeed young and in-shape, you can be faster so May can work. However, hiking as a group tends to slow you down. Also if you are new to hiking that can slow you down (but perhaps you just meant new to the AT). Being light weight can also help you hike faster. It can also save money - the cheapest and lightest gear is the gear you don't buy and don't carry. The best way to save money on the trail is to stay out of towns (also will help you finish on time). I recall a post a while back about a lightweight gear list using very inexpensive basic equipment, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe someone else remembers.

mdj05f
10-16-2012, 09:00
Group so far is 3...possibility of one more but more than that and I would worry about being slowed down. We are not new to hiking, but this will be our first time on the AT and on a trip for this length of time! I have high hopes, I think we can do it in good time. And I definitely plan on avoiding the towns unless neccessary.

mdj05f
10-16-2012, 09:02
Let me know if you find that post!

88BlueGT
10-16-2012, 09:13
I wish I had friends willing to thru-hike! If you don't mind me asking, what is your budget for gear? I'm assuming you don't have anything as of now right?

mdj05f
10-16-2012, 09:22
Well, I haven't set a certian budget, I realize my idea of buying things second hand will only work if I luck into finding someone who happens to have what I'm looking for. My plan was to start with what things are most expensive and see how lucky I can get. The whole group is on a budget. When I find something I want, I try asking everyone if it's an awesome deal or if there's a possibility I can keep looking! I'll do that until I run out of time and have to buy things when I find them. We are all pretty much starting from scratch, but based on spending my whole life camping and hiking, I don't imagine I need to load myself up with the finest, fanciest equiptment. I really only want to buy what is neccessary. Most importantly, boots, pack, rain jacket, sleeping gear (I think I've decided on a hammock).

jakedatc
10-16-2012, 09:47

http://www.lytw8.com/Gear_Lists.html

first one... there are "less cheap" alternatives you can substitute and have a bit more quality for similar weight.

also, make sure you get enough of your main items in time to go for some test hikes. day 1 at springer should not be your first time using all of it.

enyapjr
10-16-2012, 09:56
I recall a post a while back about a lightweight gear list using very inexpensive basic equipment, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe someone else remembers.

Look (or search) through the WB 'Articles' - here's two I have bookmarked, one started by SGT Rock (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?15329-Cheap-Gear-%96-How-to-Dirt-Bag-and-Deal-Shop-Like-a-Professional&p=206678#post206678) and one by Mags (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?54175-A-Quick-and-Dirty-AT-Guide) (links in both give more 'details')... There are other relevant and more specific articles, too, but these are a good starting point in your gear search & planning. Good luck!

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)

mdj05f
10-16-2012, 10:03
That's got a lot of info thanks! Planning on testing out boots, pack, and sleeping style before the trip! Trying to get this stuff squared away soon for a december 4-day trip. Although I'm sure that will be much colder than the temps I will end up enduring.

mdj05f
10-16-2012, 10:50
those have some much great info! I'm much less overwhelmed now...I thought it would be crazy to use things I have around the house rather than fancy equiptment. Thanks. :)

Odd Man Out
10-16-2012, 12:46
http://www.lytw8.com/Gear_Lists.html.

This is the one I remembered. It was a web page, not a post. The other links are great too.

jakedatc
10-16-2012, 12:53
This is the one I remembered. It was a web page, not a post. The other links are great too.

Yep.. the cheap one you have to look at carefully because while it is cheap and light.. it may not all be ideal for someone with less experience.

Jamie's MYOG stuff is amazing too.. wish i had those sewing and construction skills.

mdj05f
10-16-2012, 14:06
Ya I've been looking at some DIY stuff. pretty advanced sewing skills and not too bad construciton skills! And I've got A LOT of experience roughing it. Just not for the length of time...so on some things I'm sure I'll go more sophisticated, while other things will be very basic.

garlic08
10-16-2012, 16:29
...also, make sure you get enough of your main items in time to go for some test hikes. day 1 at springer should not be your first time using all of it.

Definitely, and I would try to do something along the lines of 100 miles. If you start in May and want to get done before mid-October, you'll need to be able to hike longer days than average and about the only way to do that is to gain some experience. Try a resupply stop on your practice hike too--town stops can really eat up time. The extra time you need to buy stuff you aren't thinking about now, like stove fuel, first aid supplies, post office supplies, finding internet access, greasy diner food, etc can turn a short town stop into an overnighter with a motel. Lots of hikers spend way more money than planned in towns, too.

I met some first-time hikers near the end of my AT thru who were hiking a 4-month pace and having a lot of fun. It's definitely feasible.

mdj05f
10-16-2012, 16:38
Ya we already planned on limiting town time...we have no interest in spending nights there. less money, less time. Hopefully enough planning ahead will make that pretty simple.

takethisbread
10-16-2012, 17:51
I am not a fast hiker but am contemplating a may 1 start if I can ever sell this business of mine. May to oct is 5 months. 15 mpd is doable with the best mileage opportunities (dryest) in those months. Being young and in shape it shouldn't be a problem barring injury. Good luck! I have done 1650 miles In a year on the AT a few years ago, so I feel comfortable I can do it. I'm sure you'll be fine.

mdj05f
10-17-2012, 09:06
thanks! You might be able to answer a concern I have about hammocks...that many months, sleeping with your back curved like that....can't that be uncomfortable? or bad for your back and posture?

takethisbread
10-17-2012, 20:37
thanks! You might be able to answer a concern I have about hammocks...that many months, sleeping with your back curved like that....can't that be uncomfortable? or bad for your back and posture?
I've not encountered that, but on the AT I vary my sleeping habits . I may hammock 3 or 4 nights a week, use a shelter once or twice and a hostel motel a time or two. I have never experienced back pain from the hammock like I do from the ground. I tend to stay in the shelter on windy cold nights bc when long distance hiking I don't carry an underquilt and without one the hammock gets a little difficult to deal with the under draft.

mdj05f
10-18-2012, 10:39
thanks for the help!

oldbear
10-18-2012, 10:50
mj
Don't overlook places like upscale thrift shops, Play it Again Sports , Sams Club for bulk dry goods, cameras and watches , Craigslist , Ebay , outlet malls

mdj05f
10-18-2012, 10:58
Definitely! Going this weekend to the second hand shops near all the crazy rich people. :)

HermesUL
10-22-2012, 12:18
I'm starting my first NOBO thru hike in May as well! I'll probably see you guys there. I'll be going pretty fast though, as college starts back up in early September so I've got to average 20 miles per day.

My advice is get a gear list together with the weight, purpose, and cost of each item, before you buy anything. Then get feedback from people and figure out how to make improvements. I didn't do this before my Long Trail thru-hike last summer, and I ended up buying some stuff I later regretted when I could easily have saved both money and weight.

Hairbear
10-23-2012, 06:20
if your near a college town go on campus and pin up wanted ads on a bulliton board or two you might be surprised at what a ready to graduate student might sell cheap.check out hammock forum.com great source of info good luck.