PDA

View Full Version : Confused on pack specifications

mdj05f
10-15-2012, 15:28
I'm going crazy trying to educate myself on all the specifications of packs trying to pick one. Planning a thru-hike in May NOBO. I'm 5'4" 110lbs. In good shape. What size and weight pack should I be looking at?? I need a starting point. :)

jakedatc
10-15-2012, 15:33
Decide on everything else, then find a pack that holds and supports it. find a good store that you can try many on and find out what feels the best. under 3lbs is pretty easy to do.

Rasty
10-15-2012, 15:36
Somewhere around 50 liters or less. At 110# you don't want to carry 40# of stuff. I weigh 150# and try to keep it at 25# or less. Look for a 2 to 3 pound pack that has a frame. It takes serious discipline to go frameless. The rest of the question depends on your budget. $225 is not a lot for something your going to carry for more than a week. I got a ULA Circuit which I now love.

snifur
10-15-2012, 15:44
1. go to grocery store and buy a bag of apples and purchase 2 bottles of water.
2. go to an outfitter and find a pack that you think is pretty.
3. then walk through the outfitter and put all the gear you think you will use in it and add the bag of apples.
4. if it fits, and is comfy then you are good to go. purchase and then hike.

Rasty
10-15-2012, 15:47
1. go to grocery store and buy a bag of apples and purchase 2 bottles of water.
2. go to an outfitter and find a pack that you think is pretty.
3. then walk through the outfitter and put all the gear you think you will use in it and add the bag of apples.
4. if it fits, and is comfy then you are good to go. purchase and then hike.

I like how pretty is up on top. And ULA green and black is pretty. Better than yellow or red for me.

mdj05f
10-15-2012, 16:09
Thanks everyone. My budget is a concern, I was hoping to find a used one but that means they have less helpful info to offer so I wanted to know exactly what I needed. Looks like I need to go in store though and try some on. :)

Kerosene
10-15-2012, 16:16
You might also try the REI Flash 52 (http://www.rei.com/product/827065/rei-flash-52-pack-womens) for women. My daughter is about your age and size and she loves the new model. PM me if you'd be interested in a good price on her old Flash 50 (100 miles of trail use, great shape except that the older style framesheet "warps" to the point that it doesn't look very good, but it seems to work just fine).

jakedatc
10-15-2012, 16:22
so you want to sell her a pack that is deforming in only 100mi? lovely. just return the thing.. don't pass on junk to someone else.

packs are like shoes.. no one is the same size, shape etc. I love my Osprey Exos but i've heard of people getting serious bruises too. people LOVE the Flash series but i tried it on empty in the store and could tell it would never work for me.

mdj05f
10-15-2012, 16:57
I am actually looking to find a secondhand pack, but hopefully one in a bit better shape. Thanks for the recommendations though. It's overwhelming starting from scratch.

Bucho
10-17-2012, 01:30
Decide on everything else, then find a pack that holds and supports it.

What he said. What pack you need depends a whole lot on what you plan to put in it.

leaftye
10-17-2012, 04:21
Decide on everything else, then find a pack that holds and supports it. find a good store that you can try many on and find out what feels the best. under 3lbs is pretty easy to do.

Give the most thought to Jake's thread, or buy a gigantic heavy pack.

Think about what can happen if you don't. You buy a pack before the rest of your gear. You buy the rest of your gear without considering if it'll fit in your pack. Do you buy another pack, or do you replace your other gear? Both are expensive option. Or you buy gear that should fit and ride well in your pack. If you pack is small or doesn't carry weight well, you'll have to spend a lot of money to buy premium gear that compacts well and doesn't weigh much. So now you have three expensive options. You might try strapping bulky items to the exterior of your pack, like your sleeping bag. To keep your sleeping bag dry, it'll need to be in its own waterproof bag or two. Waterproof stuff sacks and trash bags aren't nearly as durable as backpack fabric, so those might tear and need to get replaced. I suppose that isn't too expensive, although it could make for some miserable nights until you acquire another waterproof bag for your sleeping bag.

Now let's say you did buy a gigantic pack. It's very easy to think that because you have lots of space, you can buy bulky gear and carry a few extra things. Before long, you're humping 50 pounds down the trail, maybe even 70+ pounds. Your feet will ache. You may suffer from an overuse injury from carrying all that weight. You go home early with lightly used gear. That doesn't seem like a good use of money either.

Or you do as Jake said and get the pack last. At that point you should know how big your gear is and what it weighs. You'll do especially well if you know how you want to pack. For example, you might want to strap your pad and shelter to the exterior of your pack, or you may want both inside the main compartment of your pack. That makes a VERY significant difference. I will say that going with a slightly over sized backpack makes it easier to break camp quickly...a rather big deal on cold mornings.

OzJacko
10-17-2012, 04:41
I like how pretty is up on top. And ULA green and black is pretty. Better than yellow or red for me.
The green means business but the yellow is purty....:)

mdj05f
10-17-2012, 09:02
I wanted to get the pack first to make myself feel better...crossing one big thing off the list. But now I know that may not be the best. I cross-referenced a few guides, and am talking with the other two who will be hiking with me to decide what each one of us will be carrying. Now my plan is to acquire most of the staple items, enough that I will know the weight I'll carry, + or - a couple pounds. Then get the pack...then figure out of the smaller items which I want or can carry. I've heard that with most internal frame packs it's hard to strap much to the outside becuase they are so streamline...

Rain Man
10-17-2012, 09:36
I don't see (maybe I missed it?) that anyone said you have to be measured for a pack, just like for shoes. Everyone's backbone is their own, no matter their total height. Even the flair of hips, width of shoulders, volume of chest, and etc. are a four dimensional puzzle. So, for a hike of any length, it's helpful to have the right pack, and that doesn't mean the right brand, model, volume, or color. It means it fits your unique body. Only way to tell is to start with a knowledgeable staff who can measure you and then suggest a variety of packs, then allow you to try them on fully loaded with weights (a good store has weighted sacks) and let you walk around for a while with each pack.

But I can tell you from experience, that even that is not perfect. Only a long-distance hike can tell you for sure. My daughter worked in an outfitter store before her thru-hike and she still switched out her pack after a few weeks on the trail.

I can also tell you that it's not just the pack, but other issues, such as what you load in it and where, and what you wear under the pack. I got a new pack this summer and it promptly rubbed a raw spot on my backside due to the underwear I was wearing on a trip.

It's all a balancing act and not one we can readily and assuredly answer for you online based on a tidbit of data. So, experiment. Hopefully buy from a store that allows returns. And don't expect perfection, just fun.

Rain:sunMan

P.S. There's a saying that if you buy a big pack, you WILL fill it up, so buy a small pack. :)

mdj05f
10-17-2012, 09:48
Got it thanks for the help! :)

jakedatc
10-17-2012, 09:50
I wanted to get the pack first to make myself feel better...crossing one big thing off the list. But now I know that may not be the best. I cross-referenced a few guides, and am talking with the other two who will be hiking with me to decide what each one of us will be carrying. Now my plan is to acquire most of the staple items, enough that I will know the weight I'll carry, + or - a couple pounds. Then get the pack...then figure out of the smaller items which I want or can carry. I've heard that with most internal frame packs it's hard to strap much to the outside becuase they are so streamline...

I think it is easier to pack for yourself and not as a group. have your own supplies and be able to be on your own. cooking gear used to make sense to split up but now with a small canister stove and a Ti pot it is just as easy to have your own and not be tied to anyone else. **** happens.. you may not finish with everyone. you should easily keep your pack under 30lb starting from scratch.. with food and water for 4-5 days.

I met these guys on the LT that had all their meals set up for 3 so when 1 bailed they still had to carry 3 people's worth of food. it was stupid. (was a NOLS kool-aid drinker carrying way too much too)

Oneofsix
10-17-2012, 10:01
What Rain Man Said. (you wouln't mail order a pair of running shoes would you? or just trust someone to say what is right for you) I've been working with kids in the wilderness for 30+ years and pack FIT is what is they key to every adventures success or downfall. It has to fit, and fit well. Nothing worse than a 12 year old in an ill fitting pack . . . a definate recipe for both a miserable kid and packing out. (not that you are a kid)

The advice of going into an outfitter is great, and walk around, but not just for 10 minutes . . . but for a few hours. Plan to just stay in the store until they kick you out LOL. ANY little annoyance is goinjg to be magnified when you get on the trail. Don't make the mistake of thinking "it only bothers me a little bit once the pack is broken in it'll be fine" Sometimes packs do not "break in".

How you pack your pack is an issue too . . So mess with it packed well and balanaced and with **** just thrown in it any which way . . . some can be wonderful when well packed and a train wreck if it's packed poorly. Practice packing.

If at all possible get it out into the wild for a few days, or a week or even two. Make sure the hip belt meets your needs (I like a padded belt- more weight but really makes me happier) . . . make sure the shoulder belts fit nicely and the chest clip doesn't lay in an uncomfortable way - mens packs don't matter so much - but for me (busty) packs for flat chested women nearly choke me (LOL) Also when I did the AT in PA last summer I discovered that in 100 degree heat and a tank top my shoulder straps just soak up sweat (eewww) and the straps rubbed my upper arms raw (had to wrap them with a buff :()

I guess what I am saying is, make sure you get a pack that fits . . . . test it . . . and be prepared to do some problem solving along the way. After 100's of backpacking, camping, canoeing, rockclimbing trips, (my two longest hikes have been 200 miles and 120 mile) with kids and the ability to problem solve gear is my most valued talent. If you have time to putter, putter.

Hope to see you out there :0
A

mdj05f
10-17-2012, 10:03
Most things I can understand wanting your own, but the cookware and stuff...I was thinking it would be a weight saver to not carry it in multiples of 3...and with this group, if one of us is out, we're all out. So I'm not so worried about us not finishing together. We'll either quit together or finish together. I thought we would be able to handle more if we split up the weight of a few things.

jakedatc
10-17-2012, 10:24
Ok, depending on what you are doing for most of your food.. 2 might be a good idea.. that way you dont have to agree 3 ways for what to eat.. if you do freezer bag then one is not a big deal.. just boil enough water.

http://andrewskurka.com/how-to/seven-steps-to-lighten-up/

mdj05f
10-17-2012, 10:34
got it. have you tried any of the "less sofisticated" stove set ups? Like ones made out of cans, etc?

jakedatc
10-17-2012, 10:43
Personally not a fan.. i've used the Cat stove that Andrew uses but did not like it. i have a pocket rocket and like it better. Snowpeak, Katadyn and fire-maple make better/lighter versions now but PR works fine for me right now so i can't justify getting a new one. For longer trips a Snow Peak Giga would be more efficient than an alcohol stove. you can get quite a bit of mileage out of each canister.

mdj05f
10-17-2012, 11:29
thanks I'll look at all those.

atraildreamer
10-17-2012, 13:49
I am actually looking to find a secondhand pack, but hopefully one in a bit better shape. Thanks for the recommendations though. It's overwhelming starting from scratch.

Yard sales & flea markets, Craig's list, E-Bay...the possibilities are endless, and the price is usually very low. If you are near a large college or university that has dorms, check out the dumpsters and curbsides when the kids go home for the summer. They dump a lot of usable stuff rather than hauling it back home.

mdj05f
10-17-2012, 14:17
thank you!

1azarus
10-17-2012, 15:11
i would suggest you consider gossamer gear packs -- partly because they are relatively inexpensive and also quite light. take a look at their website. i also suggest you email or call them to verify that you can send the pack back if it doesn't feel just right. limiting yourself to a retail outlet is... well, too limiting, i think.

jakedatc
10-17-2012, 15:41
lol... ordering online from one pack company that you can't try on before you send money is less limiting than a retail place with multiple pack styles, sizes and brands?

1azarus
10-17-2012, 16:14
lol... ordering online from one pack company that you can't try on before you send money is less limiting than a retail place with multiple pack styles, sizes and brands?

actually, not a bad idea at all... and I don't mean to make this thread into an argument, but most of the best packs are made by cottage industries and are not available in retail stores. check out the cottage industry list article here and see for yourself.

hikerboy57
10-17-2012, 16:24
i agree with rain man that even with all the best research, sizing in store or out, you wont know for sure whether you made the right choice until you've used it on the trail for at least a few weeks in a row.
I own an osprey atmos65 that has served me well on my week long section hikes, but this past august over a 3 week span i lost some weight and found that even with the hop belt cinched as tight as i could manage, it kept on slipping down, so now i need to look for a pack that will stay put for longer hikes. the atmos will serve me fine for a week or two, but i need something with a smaller hipbelt for longer trips.

mdj05f
10-17-2012, 16:48
I guess all I can do is try on in-store as many options as I can, then see if I can find it cheaper online. best of both worlds.

jakedatc
10-17-2012, 16:56
actually, not a bad idea at all... and I don't mean to make this thread into an argument, but most of the best packs are made by cottage industries and are not available in retail stores. check out the cottage industry list article here and see for yourself.

I don't need a list. Many of them post on backpackinglight. but that doesn't mean that someone picking their first pack is going to have a clue what they are looking for online. without looking at an opening do you think you could tell what stuff would fit in a 46L ? since the Gorilla is the only framed pack they make and is only 46L.

jeffmeh
10-17-2012, 16:59
I guess all I can do is try on in-store as many options as I can, then see if I can find it cheaper online. best of both worlds.

Except that, as previously stated, that eliminates from consideration a number of outstanding, cottage-industry packs not available in stores. It's a tough call.

hikerboy57
10-17-2012, 17:01
I don't need a list. Many of them post on backpackinglight. but that doesn't mean that someone picking their first pack is going to have a clue what they are looking for online. without looking at an opening do you think you could tell what stuff would fit in a 46L ? since the Gorilla is the only framed pack they make and is only 46L.

i agree. although im now considering a ULA pack to substitute for my atmos, but if i havent spent the last 30 yrs refining my gear, i wouldnt have any clue what type of pack i would need. i think its better at least at first to get properly fitted at an outfitter with an experienced salesperson.

mdj05f
10-17-2012, 17:04
I need a handle on the things I wouldn't know browsing online that a veteran would...what features I like or don't like and what things to look for after having different ones on my back. I've only got 2 options around here, Black Creek and Gander Mountain.

Raymond James
10-17-2012, 17:22

I think this is very good advice. The other advice I would give is that however big the pack is ( garage, storeage shed) you will fill it.

I think if you are traveling in a group that have know each other for years you can share stoves, water filters, cook pots, tents, camera, bird or other books and trowl. If you are a new group then to each his own.

I did a section in 1974 and only had to carry one pot, a couple of tent poles, the ground cloth and some stakes. The other members of the group carried items that we shared.

jeffmeh
10-17-2012, 21:12
It may be a challenge if you are trying to acquire all of your gear second-hand or inexpensively, but I would suggest that if you cannot fit your gear into something like a ULA Circuit for a through-hike, you are probably carrying too much.

jakedatc
10-17-2012, 21:29
I agree.. 55L or less for the main part is totally fine with even 5 days of food.

from basically living on BPL and WB the last 10 months since i decided to do the Long Trail over the summer..

Osprey Exos 46 or 58

ULA Circuit

Gossomer Gorilla

MLD Exedus Full suspension looks sweet too.

Drybones
10-17-2012, 21:48
Most things I can understand wanting your own, but the cookware and stuff...I was thinking it would be a weight saver to not carry it in multiples of 3...and with this group, if one of us is out, we're all out. So I'm not so worried about us not finishing together. We'll either quit together or finish together. I thought we would be able to handle more if we split up the weight of a few things.

You will regret not having your own cookware. It's going to be pretty boring sitting around waiting for everyone else to cook...big mistake.

Bucho
10-17-2012, 22:02
I agree.. 55L or less for the main part is totally fine with even 5 days of food.
My girlfriend can't fit into that. Even when I'm carrying the tent.

Osprey Exos 46 or 58

ULA Circuit

Gossomer Gorilla

MLD Exedus Full suspension looks sweet too.

I'd add to that:
http://www.rei.com/product/828406/osprey-hornet-46-pack
http://www.rei.com/product/831620/granite-gear-crown-vc-60-pack

hikerboy57
10-17-2012, 22:48
It may be a challenge if you are trying to acquire all of your gear second-hand or inexpensively, but I would suggest that if you cannot fit your gear into something like a ULA Circuit for a through-hike, you are probably carrying too much.and yet most thru hikers have finished with larger packs. i dont think this is good advice for a relative newbie.experience is what gets the weight down. not just reading bpl.

jakedatc
10-17-2012, 23:10
gf can walk can't she.. you don't need to carry her in the pack ;)

OP is going with a hammock so using a quilt saves space in the pack. a .9L ti pot will hold a canister stove and a canister. Z rest will fit underneath or a neoair or Static V fits inside. down puffy, rain jacket, a few extra clothes, sawyer filter or Aquamira, FAK, little random stuff. easy peasy. :)

mdj05f
10-18-2012, 10:56
thanks for all the tips.
and all the product recommendations jakedatc. I'm sure I'll have some questions when I'm holding two different filters or stoves.

jakedatc
10-18-2012, 11:16
Sawyer squeeze filter.. if you are going to go filter and not chemical there is really not much competition. (though buy an evernew bladder instead of using sawyers bags)

mdj05f
10-18-2012, 11:18
I was thinking filter because I have heard that chemical can have negative effects if used overtime. So these filters are enough? No boiling?

Rasty
10-18-2012, 11:30
I was thinking filter because I have heard that chemical can have negative effects if used overtime. So these filters are enough? No boiling?

Do you drink municipal water? If yes it's chlorine dioxide is most treatment plants.

jakedatc
10-18-2012, 11:31
yea. the only major precaution with filters is they cannot be frozen. so if the temps look like they will drop you have to keep them in tent at least and in sleeping bag at the end if it is going to be really cold.

colorado_rob
10-18-2012, 11:37
By the way, if you are interested in the Osprey EXOS packs, they are on sale at e-omc for $125 minus an additional 10% = $112.50 for the 46 liter (the 58 is also on sale for $158, but for me the 46L is plenty big enough). The EXOS is a fine pack if you can keep the total weight at about 25-30 lb and below (including food/water).

http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/products/5538/Osprey-Exos-46-Backpack.html

colorado_rob
10-18-2012, 11:38
PS: go to the e-omc home page to get the coupon code "summer20" for the extra 10% off.

mdj05f
10-18-2012, 11:40
if it gets that cold, then our trip didn't go as planned! :)

jakedatc
10-18-2012, 13:33
By the way, if you are interested in the Osprey EXOS packs, they are on sale at e-omc for $125 minus an additional 10% = $112.50 for the 46 liter (the 58 is also on sale for $158, but for me the 46L is plenty big enough). The EXOS is a fine pack if you can keep the total weight at about 25-30 lb and below (including food/water).

http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/products/5538/Osprey-Exos-46-Backpack.html

The reason i went with the 58 over the 46 is that you get that extra space that can come in handy for only a 4 oz penalty .. you can still cinch it down when you have less food. and you can not squash you down stuff as much.

colorado_rob
10-18-2012, 13:47
The reason i went with the 58 over the 46 is that you get that extra space that can come in handy for only a 4 oz penalty .. you can still cinch it down when you have less food. and you can not squash you down stuff as much. Yeah I hear ya, but those sale prices favor the 46L ($46 cheaper than the 58L) and I know the OP was looking to save as much money as possible, and I truly find the 46L plenty big, with up to 6-7 days of food, at least for May-Oct.

mdj05f
10-18-2012, 14:07
awesome. thanks guys!

Bucho
10-19-2012, 21:18
By the way, if you are interested in the Osprey EXOS packs, they are on sale at e-omc for $125 minus an additional 10% = $112.50 for the 46 liter

I'm drooling a little bit....

cabbagehead
10-23-2012, 22:13
Perhaps a deuter act zero. http://deuter.com/en_US/backpack-details.php?category=120&artnr=43831&title=ACT%20Zero%2045%20%2B%2015%20SL

You can adjust the origin of the sholder straps.
load lifters
The frame comes out and the shoulder straps come off.
can go in washing machine
strong
It's popular in Germany.

An osprey is a great lightweight option. I doubt it would last 2k miles because the material looks thin.

jakedatc
10-24-2012, 09:47
why do you doubt Ospreys? Fabric is light but it is not fragile. I saw plenty of Thru hikers with them and I have the exos 34 and 58. they also have a great warranty policy

DeerPath
10-24-2012, 14:58
i don't see (maybe i missed it?) that anyone said you have to be measured for a pack, just like for shoes. Everyone's backbone is their own, no matter their total height. Even the flair of hips, width of shoulders, volume of chest, and etc. Are a four dimensional puzzle. So, for a hike of any length, it's helpful to have the right pack, and that doesn't mean the right brand, model, volume, or color. It means it fits your unique body. Only way to tell is to start with a knowledgeable staff who can measure you and then suggest a variety of packs, then allow you to try them on fully loaded with weights (a good store has weighted sacks) and let you walk around for a while with each pack.

But i can tell you from experience, that even that is not perfect. Only a long-distance hike can tell you for sure. My daughter worked in an outfitter store before her thru-hike and she still switched out her pack after a few weeks on the trail.

I can also tell you that it's not just the pack, but other issues, such as what you load in it and where, and what you wear under the pack. I got a new pack this summer and it promptly rubbed a raw spot on my backside due to the underwear i was wearing on a trip.

It's all a balancing act and not one we can readily and assuredly answer for you online based on a tidbit of data. So, experiment. Hopefully buy from a store that allows returns. And don't expect perfection, just fun.

Rain:sunman

p.s. There's a saying that if you buy a big pack, you will fill it up, so buy a small pack. :)

ditto - rain man

cabbagehead
10-24-2012, 21:16
why do you doubt Ospreys? Fabric is light but it is not fragile. I saw plenty of Thru hikers with them and I have the exos 34 and 58. they also have a great warranty policy

Things are only as strong as their materials. Ospreys look light. They seem economic.

jakedatc
10-24-2012, 21:39
Things are only as strong as their materials. Ospreys look light. They seem economic.

Well mine are doing fine so far. I saw plenty of Thru's in Vermont that were loving theirs. they have a 100% guarantee so if there is an issue they will fix or replace.

throwing out doubts on "looks" is a bit of a reach don't you think?

cabbagehead
10-24-2012, 21:45
I met someone with a broken Osprey. They still have substantial advantages.

jakedatc
10-24-2012, 22:04
Like being 1lb lighter than that Deuter, breathable shoulder and waist straps, air flow back panel, waist belt pockets, horizontal bottle pocket openings, pole stowing system ................

Bucho
10-26-2012, 18:42
An osprey is a great lightweight option. I doubt it would last 2k miles because the material looks thin.
I saw plenty of thru hikers with osprey packs last year, if they didn't hold up I guarantee we'd all be hearing about it. Like steripen hearing about it.

Osprey also has a lifetime warranty and they're at trail days standing behind it.
http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/web/all_mighty_guarantee

jakedatc
10-26-2012, 22:35
I saw plenty of thru hikers with osprey packs last year, if they didn't hold up I guarantee we'd all be hearing about it. Like steripen hearing about it.

Osprey also has a lifetime warranty and they're at trail days standing behind it.
http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/web/all_mighty_guarantee

shhhh don't let facts get in the way of how it "looks" duhhhhhh