PDA

View Full Version : Dixon Rollerpack

chefbrian1
10-15-2012, 19:40
Has anyone seriously tested a dixon rollerpack (http://dixonrollerpack.com/) (or like pack) for any extended distance on the AT?

I must say, I am intrigued. It sounds too good to be true, but I want to believe a roller pack can work especially if it means reducing the "felt weight" of a pack on a hike.

CB

leaftye
10-15-2012, 20:09
It wouldn't be permitted in wilderness areas. I'm not sure about the rest of the trail.

globetruck
10-15-2012, 20:26
It would probably be fine on the right trail - well-graded, no blowdowns, no big rocky stairs to climb, no water crossings. Probably well suited to sherpa dad duty when taking the kids out.

Coincidentally, I've never found such a trail. Im not trying to be a jerk about it. That thing just doesn't match my hiking style. But under the right conditions, it would probably be great.

kayak karl
10-15-2012, 20:51
i made something similar for my grandson. i just use it for flat nature trails in NJ. i don't know if i would want to go down or up with it.

kayak karl
10-15-2012, 20:52
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59437

leaftye
10-15-2012, 20:54
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59437

I can't get to your link, and I'm signed in at HF.

kayak karl
10-15-2012, 21:07
sorry, in the pay section.

jakedatc
10-15-2012, 21:18
Wouldn't have a chance through NH

Feral Bill
10-15-2012, 23:50
With a comfortable pack, why would you need wheels? It would be more weight to move uphill. Physics always wins.

GraniteStater
10-16-2012, 00:13
there is a youtube video of a woman using it on the AT... the description says she used it for 20 miles and liked it. looks like she is on some relatively rugged terrain... eh well at least it's not totally flat and smooth.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Gq1udTIoY&feature=relmfu

there are other videos too if you search.

i like my backpack though!

leaftye
10-16-2012, 00:24
Her roller pack survived, but look how slow she was. With a light pack and strong healthy ankles, that obstacle should have been done in fraction of the time.

GraniteStater
10-16-2012, 00:47
i guess so but we don't really know how fast she hikes to begin with.. maybe she always hikes that slowly.. who knows.

jakedatc
10-16-2012, 01:04
i like the 1L metal bottle hanging sideways waiting to smack her in the side of the face.. pack looks awkward as hell.. you can tell she is concentrating like crazy to drag that thing over pretty small rocks.

Now go do the wood steps on Moosilauke.. or the rock trails around the Presidentials.. people have trouble even without dragging a small child hanging from their waist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC5EDI6jw5c&feature=plcp

chefbrian1
10-18-2012, 01:37
I figure this pack really will only work in certain sections at best for sure. I cannot image taking in over anything with a good amount of steps.

Like I mentioned in the start of the post, I got hooked on the idea from using my wheeled backpack around campus, so I did a little test with my IKEA two wheel pack by taking it up two flights of stairs. I had maybe 10 pounds in it.

This test simulation a very rocky area with 5-8 inch steps.

What I learned from my test that is not mentioned when using a wheeled pack is DRAG. While a good portion of the weight does ride on the wheel(s), it does not compensate for drag on the wheel on rough surfaces. I noticeably need to use more effort to PULL the pack more on rougher surfaces.

And my stairs test had me Toughing to get over up each step because the wheel got caught on the sharp angles.

The drag element may prove very tiresome on the lower back/hips where the DRAG/PULL tension would occur creating more work.

I feel a flat drag plate would be useful in this design to help navigate larger rocks that the wheel would get stuck on, but there will still be friction drag.

This video shows a mostly rock-less wide trial, which would be great for a roller pack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBmMt1xV0HU&feature=relmfu

Train Wreck
10-18-2012, 01:56
May as well just get a golf bag and a caddy to haul it around for you :D

RCBear
10-18-2012, 08:00
Looks like it would be great foot the supermarket!

Trail...not so much.

gizzy bear
10-18-2012, 09:14
to each his own...i don't think it sounds appealling at all...and technically wouldn't be backpacking....that would be packdragging :P

HikerMom58
10-18-2012, 10:08
to each his own...i don't think it sounds appealling at all...and technically wouldn't be backpacking....that would be packdragging :P

.............packdragging...........:P LOL!! But seriously, I can see how the concept would work well for some people.

Man, KK... ur homemade deal for ur grandson was a great invention, you needed to get paid "big bucks" for that one. :)

Astro
10-18-2012, 10:15
.............packdragging...........:P LOL!! But seriously, I can see how the concept would work well for some people.

Man, KK... ur homemade deal for ur grandson was a great invention, you needed to get paid "big bucks" for that one. :)

Since it is his grandson, he probably just settle for "big hugs" and admiration.

HikerMom58
10-18-2012, 10:22
Since it is his grandson, he probably just settle for "big hugs" and admiration.

Absolutely. I was thinking more of gaining a patent for his great invention. :) That's where he would get the big bucks.. :cool:

Starchild
10-18-2012, 10:23
With a comfortable pack, why would you need wheels? It would be more weight to move uphill. Physics always wins.

Physics is a bit more complicated then that. The force on the wheel has always a upwards (weight countering) component. As you ascend a slope that upwards component starts to diminish but only goes to zero if you are pulling the pack up a vertical cliff.

To look at it another way it may be possible to push a car up a slight incline, but impossible for you to lift and carry the car up that incline.

But where that break even point, especially on un-even ground is I don't know.

If they can add a way to ride the wheel on some down hill sections now then they would really have something of a energy saver

Slo-go'en
10-18-2012, 10:44
A wheeled pack would only be real practical for a long road walk, like the ADT. Not having a pack on your back as you walk along hot roads in the sun across Kanasas would be a blessing.

Darwin13
10-18-2012, 11:29
sure you could def take that pack on the trail unless of course you want to go uphill, downhill, through water, over rocks. etc

Hosaphone
10-18-2012, 12:12
I'm pretty sure you would die if you tried to use that in NH.

Train Wreck
10-18-2012, 12:15
I'm pretty sure you would die if you tried to use that in NH.

Lehigh Gap in PA would be a fun little section as well!

Feral Bill
10-18-2012, 12:41
Physics is a bit more complicated then that. The force on the wheel has always a upwards (weight countering) component. As you ascend a slope that upwards component starts to diminish but only goes to zero if you are pulling the pack up a vertical cliff.

To look at it another way it may be possible to push a car up a slight incline, but impossible for you to lift and carry the car up that incline.

But where that break even point, especially on un-even ground is I don't know.

If they can add a way to ride the wheel on some down hill sections now then they would really have something of a energy saver Net work equals weight times vertical lift. Mechanical advantage trades off more distance for less force. The only possible advantage here would be an increase in efficiency, which seems very doubtful on a trail.

slow mind
10-18-2012, 12:49
I'm just going to use a wheelbarrow.

treesloth
10-18-2012, 13:14
Lehigh Gap in PA would be a fun little section as well!

No doubt! I thought of Rocksylvania when I saw this thing. It looks great under the right conditions, but how many trails offer 'great conditions' all the way through? :-)

gizzy bear
10-18-2012, 13:16
I'm just going to use a wheelbarrow.

lmao!! just throw your ultra light fully loaded 47 oz pack into the 74lb wheelbarrow...makes perfect sense :)

Train Wreck
10-18-2012, 13:22
lmao!! just throw your ultra light fully loaded 47 oz pack into the 74lb wheelbarrow...makes perfect sense :)

They've already got this covered. I hear the same company has versions ranging from deluxe backpacking to ultralight.

Starchild
10-18-2012, 13:25
Net work equals weight times vertical lift.

Your equation only holds true for the person + wheeled pack combined, to get the work by the person you need to subtract out the work done by the force through the wheel - as that force is also over a distance, therefor it is 'work' (as per your equation) and must factor into your equation though the person does not perform this part of the work.

(more technical) To get the work done by the person from your equation you would need to subtract the vertical component of the normal force of the ground against the object through the wheel which is in proportion to the weight supported by the wheel and the angle of the wheel to the ground.

like I said physics is more complicated.

gizzy bear
10-18-2012, 13:47

They've already got this covered. I hear the same company has versions ranging from deluxe backpacking to ultralight.

i love the ultralight covered wagon version....does it come with ultralight horses? i may sign up and i'll get a good system installed (ultralight, of course) and play "rollin rollin rollin keep them doggies rollin" down the AT...

Train Wreck
10-18-2012, 13:54
i love the ultralight covered wagon version....does it come with ultralight horses? i may sign up and i'll get a good system installed (ultralight, of course) and play "rollin rollin rollin keep them doggies rollin" down the AT...

No horses. The UL version model name is the "Lil' Donner" and it comes with nothing except an inaccurate and out of date trail map. Food, supplies - nada.

Train Wreck
10-18-2012, 13:55
Your equation only holds true for the person + wheeled pack combined, to get the work by the person you need to subtract out the work done by the force through the wheel - as that force is also over a distance, therefor it is 'work' (as per your equation) and must factor into your equation though the person does not perform this part of the work.

(more technical) To get the work done by the person from your equation you would need to subtract the vertical component of the normal force of the ground against the object through the wheel which is in proportion to the weight supported by the wheel and the angle of the wheel to the ground.

You guys are giving me a headache.

Feral Bill
10-18-2012, 14:00

No, it is quite simple. The wheel does no work at all. It just reduces friction, compared to dragging the load. It's force only equals that of the gravity holding it on to the Earth. ALL force through distance (work) in this case is applied by the person pulling the contraption. If what you are suggesting was true, we could have perpetual motion.

Gray Blazer
10-18-2012, 14:18
The Willie and Martin Handcart Companies of 1856 had the largest percent of casualties of any emmigrant party out West. Prolly not a good idea.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b1/Mormon_Pioneer_handcart_statue.jpg/300px-Mormon_Pioneer_handcart_statue.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/File:Mormon_Pioneer_handcart_statue.jpg)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/orig_handcart.jpg

HikerMom58
10-18-2012, 14:23
You guys are giving me a headache.

Amen to that Train Wreck.... :D

I think Gizzy Bear would be a perfect addition to the "cafe gang"! You guys are so funny!! :)

It's interesting to see how we make "friends" on the World Wide Web........I think as long as we celebrate each others differences, accept each other for what they bring to the site-we are good to goooo!!! PS... Feral Bill's "mask" is funny... perfect for this time of year... LOL!!

HikerMom58
10-18-2012, 14:24
The Willie and Martin Handcart Companies of 1856 had the largest percent of casualties of any emmigrant party out West. Prolly not a good idea.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b1/Mormon_Pioneer_handcart_statue.jpg/300px-Mormon_Pioneer_handcart_statue.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/File:Mormon_Pioneer_handcart_statue.jpg)

Ahhhhhh..... Haha!!! :)

Train Wreck
10-18-2012, 14:32

Can you identify which one is the backseat driver? :D
"Watch out for that rock!"

Gray Blazer
10-18-2012, 14:34
Ahhhhhh..... Haha!!! :)

These guys pulled the handcarts from St Louis to Salt Lake. They got a late start and got caught in an early blizzard.

RED-DOG
10-18-2012, 14:35
This thing looks like some kind of Torture devise.

Train Wreck
10-18-2012, 14:37

You guys are so funny!! :)

Only in our own minds...don't let that stop anyone from stopping by the cafe...the food there is a major deterrent, though.

Now, back to the main thread after this commercial break!

Train Wreck
10-18-2012, 14:39
These guys pulled the handcarts from St Louis to Salt Lake. They got a late start and got caught in an early blizzard.

Sleet happens! :D

gizzy bear
10-18-2012, 14:40
No horses. The UL version model name is the "Lil' Donner" and it comes with nothing except an inaccurate and out of date trail map. Food, supplies - nada.

just ordered me the lil' donner...i should be easy to spot...ill be going in circles & half starved to death....

Train Wreck
10-18-2012, 14:42
just ordered me the lil' donner...i should be easy to spot...ill be going in circles & half starved to death....

If I see you making moves to get dinner started, please don't be offended if I decide to move on and get some more miles done.

Starchild
10-18-2012, 15:24
No, it is quite simple. The wheel does no work at all. It just reduces friction, compared to dragging the load. It's force only equals that of the gravity holding it on to the Earth. ALL force through distance (work) in this case is applied by the person pulling the contraption. If what you are suggesting was true, we could have perpetual motion.

That version of perpetual motion is called going downhill ;).

I would content that the vertical component of the force of the ground pushing upwards on the wheel is equal to total force of gravity pulling down, but there is also a horizontal force if the ground is unleveled and that gravity can not balance that horizontal force, this gives rise to round things rolling down hill - though we know that happens we don't consider that perpetual motion.

What this contraption seems to be doing while going uphill is shifting a vertical load to a horizontal (pulling you backwards) load. So I might accept that the magnitude of the force may the same but the direction of the force acting on the hiker is different (we should call this hiker Luke, so Luke use the Force yes) - it's a interesting thought experiment.

You can get into some strange setups like having the load behind the wheel, giving the hiker a net upward force from the contraption, even to the point of making the hiker weightless (which fits in very nicely with hiker Luke using the Force)

May the Force, or may the Schwartz be with you

gizzy bear
10-18-2012, 15:33
If I see you making moves to get dinner started, please don't be offended if I decide to move on and get some more miles done.

no worries..imma slow hiker...i spend most of my time in the wagon kitchen...where women belong ;)

Train Wreck
10-18-2012, 15:46
no worries..imma slow hiker...i spend most of my time in the wagon kitchen...where women belong ;)

It's the recipes that worry me...along with the ingredients!

Rasty
10-18-2012, 15:55

You guys are so funny!! :)

Only in our own minds...don't let that stop anyone from stopping by the cafe...the food there is a major deterrent, though.

Now, back to the main thread after this commercial break!

The Asian BBQ mouse wings are the best!

It's my moms recipe!:D

daddytwosticks
10-18-2012, 16:01
The Rollerpack looks like a real drag........

Feral Bill
10-18-2012, 16:02
That version of perpetual motion is called going downhill ;).

this gives rise to round things rolling down hill - though we know that happens we don't consider that perpetual motion.

Rolling down hill is not perpetual motion. When you get to the bottom you stop. You can see this in a pendulum-it eventually stops. Even the Earth will stop when it completes its ever so slow spiral, falling into the Sun.
I'm quite confident that being pushed downhill by this device would not be fun.

gizzy bear
10-18-2012, 16:20
Rolling down hill is not perpetual motion. When you get to the bottom you stop. You can see this in a pendulum-it eventually stops. Even the Earth will stop when it completes its ever so slow spiral, falling into the Sun.
I'm quite confident that being pushed downhill by this device would not be fun.

i think my head is gonna explode....

kayak karl
10-18-2012, 16:20
even just pulling my grandson around it works a different group of muscles. carrying him on my shoulders would be easier, but he's not old enough to yell "Duck":eek:

a friend uses one to get his hunting gear and supplies out to his cabin, but just 4 miles and no rocks and stuff. hes got a ski for it in the winter.

HikerMom58
10-18-2012, 16:24
OMG... my sides hurt from laughing so hard!! One of the funniest thing is looking at Feral Bill's pic and then reading the comments between him and Starchild.. they are carrying on as if no one else is "around"... Haha!!

Keep the comments coming... I'm getting a good ab workout from laughing so hard.

gizzy bear
10-18-2012, 16:33
OMG... my sides hurt from laughing so hard!! One of the funniest thing is looking at Feral Bill's pic and then reading the comments between him and Starchild.. they are carrying on as if no one else is "around"... Haha!!

Keep the comments coming... I'm getting a good ab workout from laughing so hard.

IKR?!? i didn't know rodents knew so much about physics... i am CERTAINLY not as smart as a rodent!!!

Train Wreck
10-18-2012, 16:35
i think my head is gonna explode....

Mine just did!b But you are NOT going to get my brains!

HikerMom58
10-18-2012, 16:44
IKR?!? i didn't know rodents knew so much about physics... i am CERTAINLY not as smart as a rodent!!!

Not me, not as smart.... they know their physics, like a boss!

WingedMonkey
10-18-2012, 18:17
As someone asked in another thread "is the cyber cafe closed?"

leaftye
10-18-2012, 18:54
A big part of the problem the Dixon pack, other than not being allowed in wilderness areas, is the small wheel. The smaller wheel requires that the Dixon pack be pulled UP at a steeper angle more frequently than a bigger wheel.

Ideally the Dixon pack would have a bigger wheel. Maybe even a pair of wheels and a seat so you can sit and exert a very minimal amount of energy on downhills, and also save your joints. Of course there'd also have to be a way to steer because the trail isn't straight.

Pedaling Fool
10-18-2012, 20:05
Talking about the physics of using this roller pack on the AT is laughable. There is no standard measurement of incline on the AT, in other words the conditions are not defined and can't be, just too many areas, not to mention incline would not be the only impediment to this device on the AT.

There will be areas in which this thing would loose wheel contact, causing resistance, or tip over on the various uneven surfaces, get stuck between rocks/trees, caught in ruts...for those reasons this thing is not good for the AT.

As someone already said, it'd probably be good for roadwalking, now in that scenario, talking about the physics of this thing is much more doable.

leaftye
10-18-2012, 20:13
Talking about the physics of using this roller pack on the AT is laughable. There is no standard measurement of incline on the AT, in other words the conditions are not defined and can't be, just too many areas, not to mention incline would not be the only impediment to this device on the AT.

There will be areas in which this thing would loose wheel contact, causing resistance, or tip over on the various uneven surfaces, get stuck between rocks/trees, caught in ruts...for those reasons this thing is not good for the AT.

As someone already said, it'd probably be good for roadwalking, now in that scenario, talking about the physics of this thing is much more doable.

I believe most of the posts, and mine in particular, are based on the physics of getting that tiny wheel over smaller obstacles like rocks. That should be easy to understand if you've walked a trail and remember 2nd week physics.

Many of the posts are intended to be laughable. Lighten up John.

Pedaling Fool
10-18-2012, 20:19
I believe most of the posts, and mine in particular, are based on the physics of getting that tiny wheel over smaller obstacles like rocks. That should be easy to understand if you've walked a trail and remember 2nd week physics.

Many of the posts are intended to be laughable. Lighten up John.I wasn't talking about most of the posts or your post; I was referring to the back-and-forth posts about the physics, period. Maybe you need to lighten up and stop being so defensive :rolleyes:

joshuasdad
10-18-2012, 20:32
A big part of the problem the Dixon pack, other than not being allowed in wilderness areas, is the small wheel. The smaller wheel requires that the Dixon pack be pulled UP at a steeper angle more frequently than a bigger wheel.

Ideally the Dixon pack would have a bigger wheel. Maybe even a pair of wheels and a seat so you can sit and exert a very minimal amount of energy on downhills, and also save your joints. Of course there'd also have to be a way to steer because the trail isn't straight.

...maybe two pairs of wheels and a brake as well. Also, maybe an electric/hybrid motor to help you get up the hill as well...

Of course this would make the "pack" more than its advertised 7.5 lbs.

To be fair, the pack can be converted to a traditional (but heavy and awkward-looking) backpack. Which would be needed for anything other than the smooth, dry desert trails shown in the advertisements.

leaftye
10-18-2012, 20:44
I wasn't talking about most of the posts or your post; I was referring to the back-and-forth posts about the physics, period. Maybe you need to lighten up and stop being so defensive :rolleyes:

You could have quoted those posts or named the posters. It's the internet John. You don't have to be scared to single people out. There's only been a few cases where there have been real life consequences.

gizzy bear
10-18-2012, 20:44
Imma get me a NOS operated wagon... Don't hate!! (UL of course)

leaftye
10-18-2012, 20:46
...maybe two pairs of wheels and a brake as well. Also, maybe an electric/hybrid motor to help you get up the hill as well...

Of course this would make the "pack" more than its advertised 7.5 lbs.

To be fair, the pack can be converted to a traditional (but heavy and awkward-looking) backpack. Which would be needed for anything other than the smooth, dry desert trails shown in the advertisements.

The electric motor is going to need extra battery packs. I hear New Trent makes good battery packs. They could also be used to charge your iPhone, iPad, Kindle and gps. A big solar panel is another option.

Starchild
10-18-2012, 20:51
The electric motor is going to need extra battery packs. I hear New Trent makes good battery packs. They could also be used to charge your iPhone, iPad, Kindle and gps. A big solar panel is another option.
I hear solar charing along the AT is difficult. How 'bout a wind turbine instead, so long as you move forward using that electric motor that should spin the turbine to recharge New Trent battery pack :D

WingedMonkey
10-18-2012, 21:13
Here's one with a larger wheel, disk brake and wooden handles. Also sells a kit to convert to a bike trailer.

http://www.monowalker.com/ENG-produkt-wanderanhaenger.html#

Starchild
10-18-2012, 21:23
The Native Americans used something simular called a Travois which can be seen here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travois

Which is dragged since they didn't get the wheel till they got the European imported version of it.

Here's one with a larger wheel, disk brake and wooden handles. Also sells a kit to convert to a bike trailer.

http://www.monowalker.com/ENG-produkt-wanderanhaenger.html#

That one looks a lot more capable.

HikerMom58
10-18-2012, 21:39
As someone asked in another thread "is the cyber cafe closed?"

You are just jealous of us having fun... I laughed at your 3 lil pigs video...:cool:

Feral Bill
10-18-2012, 23:21
i think my head is gonna explode.... That might be more chemistry than physics

Train Wreck
10-19-2012, 00:05
That might be more chemistry than physics

I get the feeling that you really enjoy watching Myth Busters! :D

leaftye
10-19-2012, 00:38
Put a generator on that wheel to charge your electronics. Free energy!!

Feral Bill
10-19-2012, 00:41
What's not to enjoy?

Train Wreck
10-19-2012, 01:01
What's not to enjoy?

All the talking that precedes the big "Splat!" "Boom!" or "Crash"! More carnage, less chatter :D

leaftye
10-19-2012, 01:08
All the talking that precedes the big "Splat!" "Boom!" or "Crash"! More carnage, less chatter :D
http://www.wipwapweb.com/image_cache/previews/4e3d26b2f087b-j53o1_500.jpg

Train Wreck
10-19-2012, 01:12
http://www.wipwapweb.com/image_cache/previews/4e3d26b2f087b-j53o1_500.jpg

Now you're talking! ;)

Gray Blazer
10-19-2012, 07:39
Gray Blazers little red wagon
http://cdn.comps.fotosearch.com/comp/CSP/CSP679/red-wagon-man_~k6795554.jpg

leaftye
10-19-2012, 07:44
^^ You still need a way to propel yourself down the trail when it's not downhill. Fortunately the perfect solution was found back in the stone age.

http://hooniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/strangecars.com_.jpg

HikerMom58
10-19-2012, 08:07
Yabba dabba doo.............LOL!!

Train Wreck
10-19-2012, 13:11
^^ You still need a way to propel yourself down the trail when it's not downhill. Fortunately the perfect solution was found back in the stone age.

http://hooniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/strangecars.com_.jpg

Did Hikerboy sell you that car? :D

chefbrian1
10-19-2012, 22:25

Now you're are talking. We have to get Myth Buster on this!!!!

Wise Old Owl
10-20-2012, 09:58
Hey it's the predecessor to the Chevy Volt.....

Country Roads
10-21-2012, 16:27
I expect it might work in some places, but using one in wilderness areas would be against wilderness rules.

leaftye
10-21-2012, 18:28
I expect it might work in some places, but using one in wilderness areas would be against wilderness rules.

I'm surprised this hasn't received a bigger response. Maybe no one cares. If that's the case, I'm sure mountain bikers would be happy to be unopposed in changing the mountain bike prohibition on the AT.

Feral Bill
10-21-2012, 18:47
Picture this device going through the Lemon Squeezer. It is not going to become a problem.

bigcranky
10-21-2012, 21:23
I have to say, I just love the Dixon Roller Pack. Not that I own one or anything, but every year someone posts a question about this version or something similar for use on the AT, and the thread is just so darn funny.

Thanks! Seriously.

"Atlas"
10-26-2012, 10:47
This type of pack would be a great solution to the problem of water on the PCT. As for not being allowed on the A.T., seriously who is going to kick a guy off the Trail because he has one of these packs.

Train Wreck
10-26-2012, 10:50
As for not being allowed on the A.T., seriously who is going to kick a guy off the Trail because he has one of these packs.

Possibly to have him mentally evaluated!

bear bag hanger
10-28-2012, 12:31
Has anyone seriously tested a dixon rollerpack (http://dixonrollerpack.com/) (or like pack) for any extended distance on the AT?

I must say, I am intrigued. It sounds too good to be true, but I want to believe a roller pack can work especially if it means reducing the "felt weight" of a pack on a hike.

CB
I've not read all the pages, I suspect I'm saying the same thing a lot of others have said. I doubt how helpful it would be on the AT. The problem is there is a lot of climbing up and down mountains, etc. The advantage you gain from level trail would be lost many times over as soon as you have to pull that thing up a cliff or through a narrow passage of rocks.

LimpsAlong
01-13-2013, 12:31
I am 53yrs old and this was my first hike. I can say the Dixon Roller pack was an excellent choice for me. I did not baby it or go slower than my "minimalist" husband. I told him it is either gonna work or it wont. We hiked from Woody Gap to a place about 6 miles past Neels Gap. It included an area called. Blood Mt. I have nothing to compare it to because as i said it was my first hike, but it was aggressive to me. I carried a sea-to-summit shower, small espresso maker, optimus electronic ignition stove, big agnus sleeping bag and pad and all food and supplies. The total weight was 50lbs. I can say i never felt stress on my back, which was my reason for the purchase. We did however change the wheel to a more aggressive tread r/t the wear on the original one.
Now to the nay sayers: the water bottle never smacked me in the face. I enjoyed the cooler water provided by my choice of a METAL water bottle. All I can say is HYOFH! I enjoyed that experience so much going again This Spring.

shelb
01-13-2013, 12:46
[QUOTE=LimpsAlong;1392470 All I can say is HYOFH! .[/QUOTE]

While many of us will not choose to use the roller pack, some may. It was nice of you to take the time to get the youtube up there. Between the video and your post, we can see how it would benefit some people - namely, those who want to take many luxuries and like to take their time. Truly, that is one of the greatest aspects of the trail: diversity in means, ability, and manner. (Someday, I hope to see more racial diversity too!).

MrCharlie2
01-13-2013, 19:43
Imagine dragging this thing around, and being confronted with a real climb.

Wise Old Owl
01-13-2013, 20:35
I am 53yrs old and this was my first hike..

I am glad you posted - Welcome!

kayak karl
01-13-2013, 21:55
my version :)19007

HikerMom58
01-13-2013, 22:35
I am glad you posted - Welcome!

Ditto!! :)

Train Wreck
01-14-2013, 01:04

Cute cargo! :)

bfayer
01-14-2013, 09:32
I have no doubt that there are places where this would work well. However, there is a reason that even though the wheel has been available to humankind for thousands of years, people still carry packs.

My son and I did a chunk of the roller coaster this weekend and I would have chucked this thing over a cliff if I had to drag it up and down all the rocks. I would check myself into a home for the terminally insane if I even thought about taking it to PA.

On the other hand I have hiked some trails up in Michigan where this thing would have been a godsend. Like anything else with wheels, there is a place for them.

For anyone taking it on the AT, well I have said it before so I'll say it again, just because you can, does not mean you should :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Slo-go'en
01-14-2013, 10:09
I thought anything with a wheel isn't suppost to be used on the AT - by law - or is it just certain parts? Talk about damage to the trail in a lot of places and getting stuck in the mud in others!

For a long road walk like the ADT or a "rail to trail" (Eastern Greenway) type of path, a roller pack would be great. On the AT - really not a good idea. 50 pounds of stuff? Learn to pack lighter!

bfayer
01-14-2013, 10:31
I thought anything with a wheel isn't suppost to be used on the AT - by law - or is it just certain parts?
I believe only in designated wilderness areas. I guess you could fold up the wheel on those sections. You would probably have to for the other 3/4 of the AT anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Cat26
04-28-2013, 10:23
[QUOTE=Slo-go'en;1392954 On the AT - really not a good idea. 50 pounds of stuff? Learn to pack lighter![/QUOTE]

You must have not read the whole post my wife wrote. She said it worked great for her. "really not a good idea" whose idea? yours? As far as learning to pack lighter my gear weighs 26 lbs for 5 days. Does that weight meet with your approval? My wife cannot bear weight on her lower back hence the roller pack. And as she so eloquently put it, HYOFH. You trail police really try my patience.

aficion
04-28-2013, 11:06
You must have not read the whole post my wife wrote. She said it worked great for her. "really not a good idea" whose idea? yours? As far as learning to pack lighter my gear weighs 26 lbs for 5 days. Does that weight meet with your approval? My wife cannot bear weight on her lower back hence the roller pack. And as she so eloquently put it, HYOFH. You trail police really try my patience.

Thanks for posting. This may be the answer to the long walk up Hazel Creek in GSMNP, where the big fish play. Last time I took my garden cart for a three night stay amongst the, chipmunks, deer, and trout. This contraption appears a bit more versatile. I'll just leave the boat at the trailhead.
I think HYOFH is excellent advice long as you pretty much respect the rules and the other perambulators. I always HMOFH and recommend it highly.

aficion
04-28-2013, 11:34
Opens up a whole new realm of possibilities for hiker/trailer trash.

max patch
04-28-2013, 11:59
That thing would kill ya going down Mt Moosilauke.

Train Wreck
04-28-2013, 21:02
Thanks for posting. This may be the answer to the long walk up Hazel Creek in GSMNP, where the big fish play. Last time I took my garden cart for a three night stay amongst the, chipmunks, deer, and trout. This contraption appears a bit more versatile. I'll just leave the boat at the trailhead.
I think HYOFH is excellent advice long as you pretty much respect the rules and the other perambulators. I always HMOFH and recommend it highly.

Hike My Own Fishing Hike?

kayak karl
04-28-2013, 21:07
Hike My Own Fishing Hike????? i thought "fabulous hike"?

Train Wreck
04-28-2013, 21:32
That thing would kill ya going down Mt Moosilauke.

The Knife Edge in Pennsylvania could get pretty interesting. Or the north side of Bear Mt in CT.

aficion
04-28-2013, 22:04
Hike My Own Fishing Hike?

You're killing me.

Train Wreck
04-28-2013, 22:08
You're killing me.

Please die in a fetal position so it will be easier to strap you onto the roller pack for evacuation purposes.

aficion
04-28-2013, 22:09
Please die in a fetal position so it will be easier to strap you onto the roller pack for evacuation purposes.

Might have to beef that unit up a notch or two!

aficion
04-28-2013, 22:15

Wish I'd had one of those back in the day. Now they carry their own stuff and leave me in the dust. Great sig line.