PDA

View Full Version : Finding a Job...

rjhouser
10-15-2012, 20:08
Well, I graduated with my bachelors in business/marketing with honors, thru hiked this summer, now what? I've applied to 30+ jobs, had maybe two interviews, so far nothing. Seems like every "entry level" job I apply to that considers me ends up going with somebody with 10 times more experience than me.

Would really like to find a job that will have me outside as opposed to trapped in a cubicle staring at a computer screen but it's hard to feel the slightest bit selective in times like these. Would love to find something with the National Park Service, even considered looking into becoming a park ranger. The USA jobs website (federal gov't job site) is horrible to work with though imho.

Feeling pretty discouraged at this point. Anybody out there want to hire a thru hiker? :banana

leaftye
10-15-2012, 20:13
A job as a ranger will probably be very difficult to get without experience. An internship and a stint in some type of outdoor corps would be a good start. Those usually have a small stipend. A lot of good outdoor jobs also want applicable skills, such as biology, ecology and construction....and I mean skills that will actually be applied. With winter coming on, you might want to see about getting a job at a ski park.

Tuckahoe
10-15-2012, 20:27
If you're interested in working out of doors, in parks etc. My suggestion would be to seek out potential volunteer opporunities while you are on your job search. Volunteering will get your foot in the door, get you some experience and training and make you know to those that will do the hiring as well. Parks and museums are always looking for volunteers as well.

ParkRat09
10-15-2012, 20:40
Couple of things...generally speaking if one wants to become a park ranger they need to actually go to school for it amd get a 4 year degree in something like natural resource management or forestry or something similar. Not sure what your options are if you didn't go to school for it. Not sure where you live but places the the Smokies are always looking for volunteers in a million different fields so that may be a way in.

There's also places like NOLS where you can become an instructor after completing an instructor course which are amazing. I took a NOLS course (not instructor) and it was incredible.

Not sure if you would ever consider doing something like repping for a company like The North Face, Mountain Hardware, etc. I am currently working retail at an outdoor outfitting store but want to eventually start repping and then really move into something in the outdoor industry (the business side tho). You're moving around a ton when you're a rep and get to see a lot of whatever region you represent, so def not a 9-5 cubical job!

Just a few suggestions. Let me know if any of this didn't make sense

TEXMAN
10-15-2012, 20:52
I just came back from spending a week at Yellowstone and the hotel at Old Faithful had a sign that said they were hiring for the winter season (they close for 6 weeks and then reopen in Dec for the winter season .... no cars allowed ,,must come in in a snowbus )
Go to yellowstonejobs.com
This is with the park concessionaire that runs all services in the park ...
I think they also run the concessions in Yosemite.

Old Man River

bigcranky
10-15-2012, 20:57
USA Jobs is a tough slog, but keep at it. Search every couple of days. Texman's idea is a good one, too.

My daughter graduated in May and is still looking. Very tough market out there. Good luck.

Maddoxsjohnston
10-15-2012, 21:01
I just came back from spending a week at Yellowstone and the hotel at Old Faithful had a sign that said they were hiring for the winter season (they close for 6 weeks and then reopen in Dec for the winter season .... no cars allowed ,,must come in in a snowbus )

Go to yellowstonejobs.com
This is with the park concessionaire that runs all services in the park ...
I think they also run the concessions in Yosemite.

Old Man River
+1 on this, I have a friend who works for Yellowstone. It's not actually for the park service, though; it's for the parent company called Xantera. They provide housing and food for their employees, and pay pretty decently at an entry-level position. Keep in mind that most of the jobs are seasonal since 90% of the park is closed Oct.-March (unless you rung a dog team or something).

SonrisaJo
10-15-2012, 21:02
Lots of outdoorsy type temp jobs at backdoorjobs.com. Seriously awesome resume boosters with really fun experiences attached to them. Have fun!

leaftye
10-15-2012, 21:07
Lots of outdoorsy type temp jobs at backdoorjobs.com. Seriously awesome resume boosters with really fun experiences attached to them. Have fun!

What a terrible name for a site! I really don't want to click on that link.

Jeepocachers
10-15-2012, 21:13
The Military is hiring. From what I remember, they spend lots of time outside. And, after 3 years of that, getting hired through USAJOBS becomes a lot easier. But, if you are anything like my daughter, you're telling me to shut up with all this mess, but that's my input anyway.

ParkRat09
10-15-2012, 21:18

Have never heard of this but just surfed the site and it's amazing! So many things I want to do!

Sarcasm the elf
10-15-2012, 21:20

What a terrible name for a site! I really don't want to click on that link.

Leaftye, that's the same thing that I thought at first, but I just spent some time checking out the site and it looks legitimate, some of it even looks pretty interesting.

Sarcasm the elf
10-15-2012, 21:28
Speaking of good sites with bad names, there's an archeology field work employment site called http://www.shovelbums.org/ A friend of mine used to use this site to get work and spent several years traveling the country and doing archeological surveys.

The catch is that most of the jobs require an anthropology/archeology background or fieldwork experience.

Paddlefoot
10-15-2012, 21:38
Would love to find something with the National Park Service, even considered looking into becoming a park ranger. The USA jobs website (federal gov't job site) is horrible to work with though imho.
Feeling pretty discouraged at this point. Anybody out there want to hire a thru hiker? :banana

If you are capable and interested in working law enforcement, that can be a way to get into NPS. I have no idea what it costs nowadays, but when I took the training in '93 (two years after thru-hiking), I believe it was about 9 weeks long and not extraordinarily expensive to get the qualifications to carry a law enforcement commission.

Getting on permanent is tough, but seasonal law enforcement jobs are there if you are willing to take one wherever they are available. Helps to have your E.M.T. and rescue training as well.

Best damn job in the world if you can get it. I miss it a lot, even though I like what I am doing now.

swjohnsey
10-15-2012, 21:50
Try the oil field. Lotsa jobs in South Texas, East Texas and North Dakota.

Feral Bill
10-15-2012, 23:47
+1 on this, I have a friend who works for Yellowstone. It's not actually for the park service, though; it's for the parent company called Xantera. They provide housing and food for their employees, and pay pretty decently at an entry-level position. Keep in mind that most of the jobs are seasonal since 90% of the park is closed Oct.-March (unless you rung a dog team or something). My kids both worked for Xantera and did not care for it. The jobs however, are easy to get and it is possible to work up in the organization. Other parks have different concessionaires. My daughter liked working at Glacier rather better. Expect minimum wage to start.

LandSailor
10-16-2012, 00:49
If all else fails there's this as a fallback option (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Crown_of_Hiking). Its not about how you earn or spend money..its about how you spend your time. :banana
What about something completely different like getting a small plane commercial pilots licence...that would get you away from the desk.

Mountain Mike
10-16-2012, 00:59
Try this site for seasonal & some year round outdoor work. http://www.coolworks.com/

HikerMom58
10-16-2012, 07:05
Try this site for seasonal & some year round outdoor work. http://www.coolworks.com/

That looks like an interesting site. I think another WB member- simple mind- recommended that one b4. :)

fredmugs
10-16-2012, 07:14
USAJOBS is a pain but with a business degree you should look at seeing if there are any intern programs available anywhere. I started in civil service in a 3 year internship and I had a business degree with prior military service but I was pretty much the only one with that. After 3 years you get 4 weeks of vacation time and you can get a lot of hiking done. If you want a job that gives you a lot of time off you either need to start your own business or work for the federal govt.

perrymk
10-16-2012, 07:39
Just about every fast food establishment I go into is hiring. With a business degree and a little hard work you should be able to move from cashier or cook up to a management position fairly quick. It may not be a dream job but it is a paycheck (perhaps a small one) and it is experience. A couple of years as manager or assistant manager might get you the experience you need to get a better job closer to where you want to be. Like a nicer restaurant near hiking trails.

Good luck.

Rasty
10-16-2012, 08:57
Just about every fast food establishment I go into is hiring. With a business degree and a little hard work you should be able to move from cashier or cook up to a management position fairly quick. It may not be a dream job but it is a paycheck (perhaps a small one) and it is experience. A couple of years as manager or assistant manager might get you the experience you need to get a better job closer to where you want to be. Like a nicer restaurant near hiking trails.

Good luck.

A McDonalds manager makes around 80K, but works around 80 hours!

88BlueGT
10-16-2012, 09:50
This is exactly what really scares me about a thru come April 13. I'm 25 years old and have a great job at a mortgage bank. If I leave, I highly doubt my position will be offered back to me (especially after leaving during the busiest time of the year, they WILL feel slated).

turtle fast
10-16-2012, 12:53
Like many others have said before....come up with an idea and start your own business. When you work for yourself you are in the drivers seat and not stuck in a cubicle from 9-5 if you don't want to. It sounds funny but I know a guy who was making a big salary and got downsized, he started of all things a lawncare service and he coulden't be happier. He said he looked at his lawnmower and thought why not. He makes a decent living cutting lawns, reseeding, snow shoveling in winter, etc. He is outside and loves it.
Unfortunately, now days a bachelors degree in business...and especially marketing is a dime a dozen. Employers want to see other educational add ons like six sigma quality improvement (not just for manufacturers anymore), or something that is related to their specific field of business like classes in beverage manufacturing and mixology for example. I should know, I was a marketing manager for a Fortune 500 company. And in this tough economy, employers have a ton of selection of downsized candidates with experience. Its even worse as businesses are holding back waiting to see the outcome of the election if they should constrict further or expand depending who wins.

88BlueGT
10-16-2012, 15:46
As that does sound all well and good, to start your own business, create your own hours, etc... it's not realistic for many people. Myself, I want benefits... medical, dental & life insurance that I don't have to pay $10k a year for. Also, depending on the industry, it can take MANY months and even years for businesses to pick up and even sometimes become profitable. For someone like myself, attempting to create a life **NOW** this can be a big delay. I completely understand where you are coming from with the creation aspect... all the benefits sound wonderful. However, there are always cons to something so great.

Feral Bill
10-16-2012, 15:48
If you go into business for yourself you will have the worst boss in the world. Time off? Not likely.

88BlueGT
10-16-2012, 16:17
^^ I know a few people who own/operate their own businesses *including my father, for 25+ years* and all of them work longer and harder then MOST who work for someone. No insurance, no benefits, no security, no paid time off, no paid vacations, etc.

Always pro's and cons.

chiefduffy
10-17-2012, 05:18
If you go into business for yourself you will have the worst boss in the world. Time off? Not likely.

+ 1 on this. I tried it when I got out of the military. Ended up exhausted, decided to shut down my business and get a part time job to tide me over while I decided what to do with myself. Hung around, went full time, now supervisor after 5 years, good bene's, low stress. Sometimes you have to start at the bottom...