PDA

View Full Version : Parking at US-60 or Nearby, VA Section 20

Triathlon Jacket
10-15-2012, 20:54
I'm planning a trip where we'll be picking up the trail at Brown Mountain Creek Shelter in the evening and SOBOing for the next two days and the third morning towards the James River Footbridge.

Right now, the plan is to park at US 60 and go to the shelter that night, but parking there looks mighty sketchy, since it's basically just parking on the shoulder of the road. The Rohland site also makes me feel a little sketched out about parking here.

Is there a lot up the forest service road that runs north from that intersection? Does anyone have any experience parking here?

Any advice would be mightily appreciated.

moldy
10-15-2012, 22:14
The parking is good at the place where 60 crosses the trail. There are a half dozen cars there on an average weekend. Park on the turnout where the picnic tables are.

Litefoot937
10-17-2012, 23:39
Plenty of off road parking at the picnic area. I parked there for a long weekend trip a couple of weeks ago with no problems. There were cars there when I got there and more at the end of my trip. Shuttle driver stated he never heard of problems at this location.

Deer Hunter
10-18-2012, 14:40
You will be fine parking on 60. I haven't heard of anybody having trouble parking there.