PDA

View Full Version : Back Pain!!! What Pack to Consider?

Del Q
10-15-2012, 21:18
Hi all.............could use some guidance here.

SIDE NOTE: Through WhiteBlaze I gained some GREAT experience sharing on my sciatica issues, info on periformis syndrome was huge!!!!!

Here is my issue, just came back from a 100+ mile hike in Vermont, was experiencing a lot of lower back and sciatica pain. Pinched nerves, pain and heat down my right leg. Really detracted from this great fall hiking experience. Have been dealing with back pain for 36 years so this is nothing new, BUT............IS THIS A GEAR ISSUE?

ULA Pack is great,

MY QUESTION IS THIS..............WOULD I BENEFIT FROM A PACK LIKE AN OSPREY OR SOMETHING ELSE THAT IS HEAVIER BUT HAS A "BEEFIER" SUPPORT SYSTEM?

Pack is about 30-32 lbs all in.............food, water, gear

I am pretty fit, 230 lbs.

ParkRat09
10-15-2012, 21:31
It obviously depends on the person and severity of issues that you have. Hard to say because I don't know anything about what you have, but yes generally speaking a 'beefier' suspension system can help with pain. The reason being that packs that can hold more weight can do it partly because there is a better system in place to 'rest' the majority of the weight of the gear on you iliac crest (hip bones). This takes some pressure off of your back and shoulders becasue the weight is resting on bone and nor the muscles in your shoulders.

There are also other things that can help like packing your pack correctly and evenly and obviously just taking less stuff and reducing pack weight.

The Gregory Boltoro has one of the best and most comfortable suspension system on the market. a 65 liter version can carry up to 45 pounnds all day without an issue so 30-32 will be great. The only drawback is that the pack itself is 5+ pounds empty!

I have used a ULA for a couple years and it does give me a little back pain (no issues in my day to day life) and one thing I do to help is some yoga positions when I get to camp which helps relieve pain and stretch for the next day. Not sure if you can do that with your condition tho. Anyway hope this helps! Follow up ques encouraged

Drybones
10-15-2012, 21:51
I've had a lot of back and neck issues, the important thing for me is to keep the weight off my shoulders and onto the hips, hiking actually has been good for my back as long as the weight is not on the shoulders.

kayak karl
10-15-2012, 22:00
have you considered some sort of back brace independent of pack ?

skinewmexico
10-15-2012, 23:32
ULA makes a lot of packs, some without any suspension. What are you using?

Ktaadn
10-16-2012, 15:00
Hi all.............could use some guidance here.

SIDE NOTE: Through WhiteBlaze I gained some GREAT experience sharing on my sciatica issues, info on periformis syndrome was huge!!!!!

Here is my issue, just came back from a 100+ mile hike in Vermont, was experiencing a lot of lower back and sciatica pain. Pinched nerves, pain and heat down my right leg. Really detracted from this great fall hiking experience. Have been dealing with back pain for 36 years so this is nothing new, BUT............IS THIS A GEAR ISSUE?

ULA Pack is great,

MY QUESTION IS THIS..............WOULD I BENEFIT FROM A PACK LIKE AN OSPREY OR SOMETHING ELSE THAT IS HEAVIER BUT HAS A "BEEFIER" SUPPORT SYSTEM?

Pack is about 30-32 lbs all in.............food, water, gear

I am pretty fit, 230 lbs.

If you have been dealing with back pain for 36 years, the answer to your question is no, it is not a gear issue.

You should be doing exercises to strengthen the muscles in your core on a daily basis while also focusing on your posture, while walking, sitting, and even sleeping.

Slo-go'en
10-16-2012, 17:42
Been to a good chiropractor? I've had a couple of pinched nerve issues from hiking which were fixed up in one visit. Although if the OP has had problems for 36 years, it might be way too late for that...

MuddyWaters
10-16-2012, 20:10
Those issues plague many 40-60 yr olds, who dont carry a backpack.
I have some osteoarthritis in my back, but oddly enough carrying a pack doesnt bother it at all. Maybe because I keep the wt on the hips, and pack under 25 lbs.
I too doubt its a gear issue. However, keeping the wt on the hips is probably still the best thing you can do for your back if you have problems. Use a good pack, fitted well, and keep it light

Del Q
10-16-2012, 21:26
ULA Catalyst

I agree, do not think that it is a gear issue. I do yoga, see a chirpractor, work out 5-6x per week, have lost 60 pounds, this periformis syndrome is pretty nasty stuff. Not enough stretching.

A good friend who is a business owner but used to be a chiropractor thinks that it could be a torn muscle. Spoke with him today.

So, the bottom line?

I am 53
The AT is really tough
The ups/downs/sideways, etc is a lot of strain on the body
Carrying a 30 lb backpack over rugged terrain for 10-12 days coming from an office chair (albeit fit)...

... is bound to hurt something.

Danl
10-16-2012, 23:20
I have burning in my right leg and a knot in my left hip, but when i start walking the left hip problem goes away for another day. As it does whe jack and coke are involved. But i had surgery on both feet nov 2011. I think i will make an appt with a chiropractor

cabbagehead
10-16-2012, 23:31
You should get the Deuter Act Zero. It is extremely adjustable. By changing the position of the load lifters, strap origin, etc. you get a custom fit.

It won't be a complete fix, but I had some back pain before I had a properly adjusted pack.

Use poles.