PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol VS Canister Fuel & Availability

Focus
05-13-2005, 10:43
I am looking for some advice regarding the pros and cons as well as the availability of both types of fuel while thru hiking. I will be starting in Harpers’ Ferry going to ME, then flipping back down to HF and going to GA. I currently own the MSR pocket rocket but was worried about the availability of fuel along the way. Do I need to go to an outfitter to get the canisters? Alcohol seems to be a lot easier way to go but I do not have any experience with that type of stove. Please advise. Thanks.

TOW
05-13-2005, 10:49
go alcohol

kentucky99
05-13-2005, 10:50
well white gas is the most easiest to find but in my experience most people who hike the AT dont usually have to much of a problem with canisters but I always go with the white gas or denatured also depends on how much y:-? ou use ky

Bob Baker
05-13-2005, 11:57
You shouldn't have too much of a problem finding cannisters. It is easier however to find alcohol since it can be found at hardware shops and such. I personally would stick with the cannister as the pocket rocket is about as light as you can get.

tlbj6142
05-13-2005, 13:21
Have you read our article on Canister Fuel availability yet? Click on the Featured Articles link at the very top of this page.

Peaks
05-13-2005, 16:28
First, for cansiters, do your planning. The ALDHA Companion and Wingfoot's Handbook should list most places where canisters are available, generally at outfitters.

Now, if you run out of canister fuel, then it's easy enough to make a Pepsi Can stove. And if you don't know how, just ask someone else who is using one.