PDA

View Full Version : Winter Hike for NC Portion

IntriguedSoutherner
10-16-2012, 13:35
Hi, I've never hiked on the AT before and wanted to know if it would be wise trying to just hike the North Carolina/ Tennessee portion of the trail during December while I'm on winter break

bigcranky
10-16-2012, 15:17
Do you have other backpacking experience, especially in winter? If not, then it's probably not wise, no. December in the TN and NC mountains is cold and dark. You'd need to be prepared for lows in the low teens or single digits, meaning a solid 0-F rated sleeping bag and a winter tent, and the proper clothing for such temperatures.

If you otherwise have winter hiking experience, then that section of trail is very nice in the winter. Good views, solitude, and great winter weather (ice, snow up high, usually clear and cold nights.)

IntriguedSoutherner
10-16-2012, 16:11
I do have backpacking experience, specifically in the Pacific Northwest and in Guatemala. However, never been in the dead of winter. I definitely would try and get one of my friends who has more experience than me to come along, but thank you for the info

bigcranky
10-16-2012, 16:32
OK. The Southern Appalachians don't have the same sort of winter you'd see in, say, New Hampshire, but they shouldn't be underestimated, either. Good luck.

OldStormcrow
10-16-2012, 17:50
Do you have other backpacking experience, especially in winter? If not, then it's probably not wise, no. December in the TN and NC mountains is cold and dark. You'd need to be prepared for lows in the low teens or single digits, meaning a solid 0-F rated sleeping bag and a winter tent, and the proper clothing for such temperatures.

If you otherwise have winter hiking experience, then that section of trail is very nice in the winter. Good views, solitude, and great winter weather (ice, snow up high, usually clear and cold nights.)
Well below 0 degrees many nights in the Smokies....I've been there at 15 below.

IntriguedSoutherner
10-16-2012, 21:39
Thank you!

Hops53
10-16-2012, 21:44
Best time of year for NC-TN, views are spectacular.

IntriguedSoutherner
10-16-2012, 22:13
would y'all recommend any brand/ make of sleeping bag/ cold weather tent?