PDA

View Full Version : AT-related Senior Thesis Ideas

Maddoxsjohnston
10-16-2012, 21:02
Hi all. I'm currently a senior in highschool (a youngster around this forum :D), and my school requires the 12th graders to write a senior thesis. For those who don't know, a senior thesis is basically a very large report on a topic of your choosing. You usually conduct some sort of experiment, or do something that has an effect on people. Other than that, it's pretty much a free for all.

I had this enchanting idea of making my topic something involving the trail. I haven't had enough time to do a thru yet, but I've cranked in around 1400 miles in large and small sections. I was considering making my prompt about the history and preservation of balds in the NC/TN area, since they hold a special place in my heart. I'm having a hard time coming up with how I would form that topic into a project with data and whatnot.

Any ideas relating to the balds, or completely different ideas altogether would be great. I really want to make this into something amazing!!

Theosus
10-16-2012, 21:42
In the back on the book "a walk in the woods" by bill Bryson, there are a lot of referenced materials on the history of the trail and the effects of various tree disetrailing the ecology of the forests. The book is an interesting and humorous read (sort of a "don't do this" book), and is short enough it can be knocked out in two evenings. I would start there for some ideas. The National Geographic film "the Appalachian trail" can be viewed on Netflix, and also has some great stuff about the trail, including segments on the effects of acid rain on wildlife, DDT on birds, how snakes help hikers by eating rats, and wild animals using the area around the trail. Plenty of ideas there too...

"Atlas"
10-16-2012, 22:55
Maddox, with 1400 miles under your boots, you have a lot of experience. Use that experience to help find a MORE interesting topic than BALDS. They are rather bland topic and not likely to find much data on the topic. Instead, I would recommend that you check out the ATC and ALDHA websites for some of the recent articles and past topics. You can find something more of an impact to yourself and your generation. One thing that I learned from Backpacker Magazine was that of all the hikers who spent time on Trails across the U.S. only 2% were African American. A statistic I can believe given how few minorities I have seen on the Trail.

Sugarfoot
10-17-2012, 08:39
I personally think the balds are a fascinating subject. Many are pre-Columbian. In the absence of a true tree-line in the south, why have they persisted? Suggested explanations have ranged from fire, to forest mastodons, to (of course) UFOs. Perhaps the Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy in Asheville, NC could direct you to some academics researching this topic who would be willing to share with a motivated high school senior. With climate change, the southern balds are shrinking as woody plants encroach. Have you heard about ATC's Project Baatany on the Roan Highlands, using Angora Goats to browse on the encroaching plants? Good luck to you.

Maddoxsjohnston
10-17-2012, 16:54
I personally think the balds are a fascinating subject. Many are pre-Columbian. In the absence of a true tree-line in the south, why have they persisted? Suggested explanations have ranged from fire, to forest mastodons, to (of course) UFOs. Perhaps the Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy in Asheville, NC could direct you to some academics researching this topic who would be willing to share with a motivated high school senior. With climate change, the southern balds are shrinking as woody plants encroach. Have you heard about ATC's Project Baatany on the Roan Highlands, using Angora Goats to browse on the encroaching plants? Good luck to you.I have heard of it, as a matter of fact. I picked up a pamphlet when I was over in that neck of the woods and thought it was really cool.

Maddoxsjohnston
10-17-2012, 16:58
In the back on the book "a walk in the woods" by bill Bryson, there are a lot of referenced materials on the history of the trail and the effects of various tree disetrailing the ecology of the forests. The book is an interesting and humorous read (sort of a "don't do this" book), and is short enough it can be knocked out in two evenings. I would start there for some ideas. The National Geographic film "the Appalachian trail" can be viewed on Netflix, and also has some great stuff about the trail, including segments on the effects of acid rain on wildlife, DDT on birds, how snakes help hikers by eating rats, and wild animals using the area around the trail. Plenty of ideas there too...
Bill Bryson is one of my favorite authors; I have literally read every single one of the books he has written. Though I do think "A Walk in the Woods" ended very blandly with him completing less than a third of the trail.

Darwin13
10-17-2012, 17:05
You seem more experienced than most at your age (meanwhile im 21 so what do I know) but I did meet a father and daughter on the trail last May and she was doing her senior paper on the trail as well. I asked her what she was going to do and she remarked that although she wanted to talk about the culture of sociological aspects of the trail, she was forced to talk about tree funguses etc. While I believe the science behind nature is amazing, I also believe it makes for a boring, BS'ed paper. However, if high school taught me anything, its that learning how to BS is quite necessary to get good grades in the american education system.

Rain Man
10-17-2012, 21:47
Bill Bryson is one of my favorite authors; I have literally read every single one of the books he has written.

I've read several, not all. Right now am listening to "The Home" in audiobook. Hard to read (listen to) one of his books without learning a TON.

And I agree with the post about the southern balds being very interesting. They definitely present a variety of challenges for the ATC, as in whether to maintain them as balds, and if so, how. Some balds are no longer balds. Should they be re-balded?

The same is true for the various "views" in the GSMNP and along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Some are no longer views, due to tree growth, though they were originally (well, after the extensive logging by robber barons). Efforts are underway now by the authorities to put the "view" back in the viewpoints in those areas.

Rain Man

rickb
10-17-2012, 22:12
I think Rain Man could be on to something-- as in the whole idea of of what kinds of "improvements" in parks and along the AT are really improvements to the back country experience at all.

I really like his examples, but there are a gazzillion offshoots to that idea that one could build a thesis around.

FWIW, Paul Theroux is very worthwhile if you like travelogues with a bite, IMHO.

Oneofsix
10-17-2012, 22:48
I wonder if you could somehow look at the retention/attrition rates on the trail between the start and Clingman's dome . . . . I have no idea how you would do it without going both places, or having someone sherpa some sort of sign up on springer . . . People would need to sign up to contact you or agree to have you interview them (how I have no idea) whether they leave the trail or not . . . you could then look at the patterns you find in both people that stick it out passed SMNP and those that return home before then.

I love the idea of studying the balds, but seems like you'd really need some historical data. Any chance there are any logbooks around that you could look at . . compare people comments from the area, see if anything comes up there.

Tricky coming up with a thesis statement that is testable . . .

Oneofsix
10-17-2012, 22:53
Another idea, what about trying to contact a group of people that hiked the trail a long time ago - as far back as you can find . . . and interview them specifically about their experience in the smokies, seeing if they can share both their stories and if they happen to have photos . . photos. Who knows they might know some things about the balds too.

I'm thinking about this way too much, what about trying to reunite people that connected on the trail in the smokies (from ATC journals?) and see if they are still in touch, or bring people together again and share the stories of the reunions.

Snowleopard
10-18-2012, 11:18
"the history and preservation of balds in the NC/TN area" This sounds very interesting to me. I think you could find enough info to make a good report. A start:
The ecology of the southern appalachian grass balds (you'll have to find this in a library or pay for it).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_balds (wikipedia is always a good place to start looking).
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/1942236?uid=3739952&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21101164447153
http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/natural_heritage/ncTIb.shtml