PDA

View Full Version : DOne any backpacking in the Adirondacks?

JoshAuerbach
10-17-2012, 12:21
Has anyone done any backpacking in the Adirondack Mountains? I may have a chance to go there and spend some time so I was wondering what it's like and if it's anything like backpacking on the AT?

Feral Bill
10-17-2012, 13:03
It's been a few decades, but: Expect rain, there are many shelters (and people), climbs can be steep and long, no resupply in the High Peaks, very beautiful scenery, more true wilderness flavor in parts, many loop trip opportunities. You won't be disappointed.

Slo-go'en
10-17-2012, 13:33
It's very much different then the AT. It's not well suited or set up for long distance hiking. It's more like hike in a bunch of food, set up camp for a few days, then do day hikes peak bagging. Or, you can spend a few days doing a loop hike, a couple of options for these. I spent a whole month there doing peak bagging in the High Peaks area one summer, years ago. Expect lots of people in the High Peaks area, the most popular section of the park, with many camp groups in the summer. "hoods in the woods" type programs are very popular through there. There is also a high concentration of bears, so I understand bear canisters are now required.

Of course, the Adirondacks spans a hugh area, with many lakes and streams so canoe or kayak camping is a good option too.

royalusa
10-17-2012, 17:29
We did the Northville-Placid Trail in July 2011 with a side trip to Mt. Marcy, NY's highest peak. Our journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=355448) summary reflects the following:

The trail reminded us of several sections of the AT:
· MASS-BUG-MUD-CHUSETTS, as we called MA on our thru-hike
· Maine with the boreal forests (though NPT’s forests were not boreal, they were similar)

If you’re looking for a beaten path, no mud, no blow downs, and no overgrowth then this trail is not for you. This trail needs a lot of maintenance as shown by the 5 page trail condition report on NPTrail.org.

If you don’t mind some rugged trail conditions and are looking for a trail where you can gel at lakes or ponds or creeks, then this trail is for you.

We had a lot of solitude on this hike; something we treasure. We were also pleasantly surprised by the lack of trash on the trail! The amount of trash was extremely little! A very clean trail. (Though some of the shelters had a considerable amount of discarded gear.)

In summary, I think this trail is best done slow, perhaps a 10 day pace. I’d recommend carrying a collapsible plastic paddle and enjoying time at the many lakes, ponds and streams and perhaps even partaking a canoe ride. I’d also recommend a side trip into the wilderness if time permits to summit a peak that is above tree line, such as Mt. Marcy.

I think earlier in the journal we remarked how the side trip to Mt. Marcy was a lot like Blood in GA - very wide beaten trails to the top (with the exception that Mt Marcy is above treeline!).

I see that you are from Sandy Lake. We mentioned in our journal that the drive up to the NPT trail head reminded us a lot of Conneaut Lake, which I'm sure you are familiar with. Small towns, small lakes.....picturesque.

We created a video of our hike: http://www.youtube.com/user/royalusa/videos

Also, we have our Nat Geo Maps 742 and 744 that we used for this hike for sale. Shoot us an email if you are interested.

Have fun!

Starchild
10-17-2012, 17:32
I recently got back from a circular hike of the great traverse in the Adirondacks which I did as a 2 night out backpack, it was a very rough long hard hike over I think 7 or 8 high peaks, while possible to do, I really wouldn't recommend it to be done with a full pack.

As stated above much more a setup basecamp and day hike from there then a thru hike area. Normally a different method is used, carrying extra weight in 'luxury' items is common in this and there is not so much emphases on ultra light as on the AT as you are only backpacking them in on day one and out on the last day, usually taking a easier way when carrying a full load. Also in the most popular area called the high peak zone you are required to carry a bear canister which adds about another 2.5 lbs + bulk (b-bye ultralight). It is rare but not totally unheard of of making 2 trips to carry more supplies to basecamp on the first day - normally beer is tops in this reason.

That's not to say you can't thru hike it and there are such trails such as the Northville Lake Placid trail but the thru-hiking trails, such as the N-LP trail avoid the places most want to go (up to the mountain tops), and the mountain tops are mostly rough, steep and scrambly so rough going with a full pack, rough to go even with a day pack.

Someone said expect rain, that is not assured by any means, the possibility of rain, yes, along with snow but it could just as easily miss you your entire trip. What you can expect if the trail is not snow covered is mud and plenty of it, walking thru it, almost losing your shoe as you pull your foot out and hear that lovely sucking sound. Wet/damp muddy boots/socks, pant legs and feet.

russb
10-17-2012, 20:25
I spend quite a bit of time up there. If you would like some specific recs of hikes, loops, areas to check out, let me know? If you would like a trail partner, I would be happy to show you a few places too. Just let me know what type of terrain, hike etc... you were looking for.

Deadeye
10-17-2012, 20:46
Trails, mountains, mud, rocks, roots - just like the AT. Shelter culture is different - you're not as likely to be welcomed into an occupied shelter as on the AT, so be sure to carry your own shelter. Bear canister required in Eastern High Peaks, good idea elsewhere. As noted, base camping/peak bagging is a great option, but you can zig, zag, loop all over the place, too. Lots of beautiful peaks, crowded on weekends, so use the weekend for slide climbs, valley hikes, fishing, or the lesser peaks. Great place!

Snowleopard
10-18-2012, 11:27
The Adirondacks are huge and wild. The high peaks region is the most popular and has the most beautiful mountains; the mountains are similar to the White Mountains. There are vast areas of wilderness that are seldom visited. For example, the Five Ponds Wilderness has 100,000 acres of old growth forest. In addition to the Northville Lake Placid trail, there would be numerous loop hikes you could put together. You really don't want to go there during black fly season.

The weather is similar to northern Vermont or NH.

Much more info at:
http://www.adkforum.com/
http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/

Mr. Clean
10-19-2012, 04:37
Also, you can check out "views from the top", a peak bagging site with lots of info. Never done any hiking there myself.

Lady Grey
10-19-2012, 16:52
Although I'm a Vermonter and do love the Green Mountains, the Adirondacks are really wonderful. As a couple of others have said, the culture there is such that a lot of people head there to hike the high peaks and work on the "46'ers", the official 46 Adirondack peaks above 4,000 feet. It's possible to hike some great loops and "bag" more than one in one trip, and some choose to base camp at a lean-to and hike several peaks over a couple of days. You might also want to check out Adirondack Loj or John's Brook Lodge, both situated right in prime hiking country. There are also plenty of hostel/motel options, as well as numerous diner-type food options. I live close enough to hike there as a day trip but I usually hike with a friend who is serious about the 46 peaks (she just finished #28 while I'm only on #14) and she has spent several overnights in the area, either in hostels or lean-to's. Have fun - what beautiful views and hikes!

JoshAuerbach
10-20-2012, 10:07
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm planning on reserving a lean-to at Adirondack Loj for six nights and getting in as many day hikes as possible. Probably swim and canoe at Heart Lake also. I'm pretty excited to climb Algonquin!

Rasty
10-20-2012, 14:01
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm planning on reserving a lean-to at Adirondack Loj for six nights and getting in as many day hikes as possible. Probably swim and canoe at Heart Lake also. I'm pretty excited to climb Algonquin!

Do not forget Avalanche pass. It would make a great long day hike. ADK loj to Algonquin to lake Colden then to Marcy Dam then back to the loj.

JoshAuerbach
10-23-2012, 12:20
I saw pictures of Avalanche pass while doing some digging and it looks amazing! I will have to check it out for sure! Thank you very much.

Deadeye
10-24-2012, 13:32

You can make a long day's loop from the Loj by going over Algonquin (stop at Wright and/or Iriquous, too if you're after the 46) and then returning via Avalanche Pass (or reverse). Be sure to save Algonquin for a weekday to minimize the crowds. From the Loj you can also hit Colden, Marcy, Tabletop and Phelps, and be sure to check out Indian Pass.

Moose2001
10-24-2012, 13:46
I saw pictures of Avalanche pass while doing some digging and it looks amazing! I will have to check it out for sure! Thank you very much.

Not sure how old the photos of Avalanche Pass are that you were looking at. About 15 years ago, there was a huge mudslide in the pass that partially filled it with mud and trees. It was an incredible sight and made me glad I wasn't there to witness it first hand! Still a very beautiful area though!

Make sure you take a bear cannister. Had my food taken by a bear just the other side of Avalanche Pass. The Adirondack bears are smart and active!

canoehead
10-24-2012, 15:54
ADKs is a great place to hike, or wilderness canoe in the lakes area. Good times either way.

Snowleopard
10-24-2012, 18:58
Make sure you take a bear cannister. Had my food taken by a bear just the other side of Avalanche Pass. The Adirondack bears are smart and active!
Bear canisters are required in the Eastern High Peaks Region (includes Adirondak Loj and many peaks) and recommended elsewhere. You can rent them there, I think. The rangers will ticket you if you don't have one where required.

During busy periods the High Peaks will have a lot of people. Other parts of the ADK will have nobody.