PDA

View Full Version : Yo Yo to IAT?? Has it been done??

wornoutboots
10-17-2012, 12:35
Does anyone know if anyone has Yo Yo'd the IAT??

RED-DOG
10-17-2012, 12:40
I am sure some one has done it at one point or another, don't think because it's not documented it hasn't been done.

wornoutboots
10-17-2012, 12:44
Sorry to clarify, I'm speaking of the International Appalachian Trail.

Thanks

RED-DOG
10-17-2012, 12:56
Yeah i know what IAT stands for just because some one has'nt wrote a bunch of books about it, does'nt mean it has'nt been done before.

wornoutboots
10-17-2012, 13:26
NP Red-Dog I wasn't speaking at you, I was speaking to the WB masses : O ) I clarified that because I just read a post about the Ice Age Trail & didn't want confusion, since I'm not familiar about that trail.

I was following a journal from guy doing it this year & he was posting every day then the "sometimes usual happened", he just stop writing on 8/25 up near Nova Scotia, my interest curiosity is, if he was up near Nova Scotia in late August, how difficult will it be to turn around & get back through the Whites by October/November??

RED-DOG
10-17-2012, 13:36
It would'nt be hard to do, i think a person would have to do alot of careful planning and have alot of luck, but i got a question for you, have you ever Thru'ed a trail before if no maybe you should before you set your sites on something larger like YO-YOing the IAT.

Slo-go'en
10-17-2012, 13:41
my interest curiosity is, if he was up near Nova Scotia in late August, how difficult will it be to turn around & get back through the Whites by October/November??

Really, really hard. There is just enough snow and ice by then to make traveling really slow and trecherous.

wornoutboots
10-18-2012, 13:57
but i got a question for you, have you ever Thru'ed a trail before if no maybe you should before you set your sites on something larger like YO-YOing the IAT.

No I haven't but I've sectioned for years & hiking is just walking so the distance or what anyone calls it makes no difference to me. The cool thing about hiking is the hiker has the freedom to hike or Yo Yo any trail & hop off whenever you want. I don't bow down to the "thru hiker" throne, but I do admire folks who have managed to live in the wild for months at a time!

wornoutboots
10-18-2012, 14:00
Really, really hard. There is just enough snow and ice by then to make traveling really slow and trecherous.

Thanks Slo-go-en! I guess the same goes for Yo Yoing the PCT or CDT weather wise? & that's why you normally hear it mentioned with the AT?

Slo-go'en
10-18-2012, 14:08
Thanks Slo-go-en! I guess the same goes for Yo Yoing the PCT or CDT weather wise? & that's why you normally hear it mentioned with the AT?

Well, you just have to time it right. If you can get to the northern end of the what ever trail in time to go back the other way before the snow starts to fly, your golden. Just means you have to be one of those high milage hikers who doesn't mess around.

As for the IAT, I understand it's mostly walking logging roads once out of Baxter - be sure to dodge out of the way when you hear a truck comming - they don't slow down for anything!

Prime Time
10-19-2012, 20:46
The Whites in October, tough. Cold, wet, slippery, not enough snow yet for micro spikes on the peaks so slow going with likely slips and falls. Valleys and low spots are fine.

In November, trouble waiting to happen. Expect winter conditions over 4000 feet. Expect dangerous to life threatening conditions above tree line if you lack experience and the appropriate equipment. Don't even think about camping above 4000 feet without winter bag and gear.