PDA

View Full Version : Boots

pickle
10-17-2012, 15:07
should i buy boots 1/2 size bigger to fit with hiking socks on?

ParkRat09
10-17-2012, 18:03
A pair of socks should not take up anywhere near an extra half size. I am probably going to go up a half size to compensate for foot swell when hiking for long periods of time (or at altitude in places like the Rockies). I fit shoes every day at my outdoor shop so PLEASE get your feet properly sized before buying a pair of boots. I hear so many horror stories about improperly fitted footwear.

Keep in mind too that it depends on the shape of the boot you are looking at as to how much you can/should size up

HooKooDooKu
10-17-2012, 21:29
You should try on your boots with the type of footware you plan to use, and to help account for swollen feet, try them on at the end of the day (especially a day you've been on your feet a lot). It's quite possible that you'll eventually wind up with a boot that is much as a full size larger than your normal shoes.

Drybones
10-17-2012, 23:21
Err on the large size, you'll never lose a toe nail if they're a little big but if they're a little small the hike wont be fun.

leaftye
10-18-2012, 00:57
Try any type of footwear with socks on.

As far as getting a bigger size goes, that's because of feet swelling and also a safety margin because it's hard to feel how big a shoe should be in the store...but you find out right away on the trail when you hike downhill or kick a rock. A half size might be okay, but needing an extra size and a half is not unheard of. This is another reason why trail running shoes are preferred. They don't last as long, but they don't cost as much, so there isn't the pressure to keep wearing something that doesn't fit right.