PDA

View Full Version : definiton? - Thru-hiker

Oneofsix
10-17-2012, 16:44
I am really curious about the culture of defining the category of a hiker on the AT - (this came up while reading a thread about shelters and converstions came up about people going to town too much, it was too easy, people need to spend more time in the woods not time in town etc etc. . . see other thread for details)
When my daughter and I did a section of PA last summer it seemed particularly important to some people to define us by our journey . . . were we thru-hikers?, section hikers? weekend hikers? day-hikers? Specifically, people seemed to want to characterize the thru-hike itself . . . where and when did you start, did you blue-blaze, do you have neros how many zeros, do you slackpack, how do you resupply? Initiall, we took it at face value, everyone is curious about everyone else, super cool, fun to be on this road with so many people wanting to get to Maine. But as time wore on we realized there was a certain about of fishing going on. Some people (and by no means everyone, there were plenty of people that were very much into the “hike your own hike” mentality) were trying to figure out if we were “really hikers” – or somehow posing to be hikers. (our plan is to hike 2013, see below).

I have read that to consider it a thru-hike you need to complete 2000 miles in one season. Is that it?

Is defining it further just a part of the AT culture because a thru hike is so grueling? Are there hikers concerned that if they complete it in a more "pure way" that others might have done it easier and still be to be able to claim the same title?

It is also confusing because plenty of people are touting . . . “resupply in town/don't use mail drops” . . .or “carry lighter packs, stop in town more” "bring less stuff and more money". . . but then we saw plenty of hikers getting ribbed because they stopped and didn't head right back into the woods. One hiker we encountered discussed this with us and he just said it helps to have a thick skin and be able to ignore what people say about your own hike. I took that as sage advice.

After about 50 miles I got to the point that I reframed what we are going to do to no longer say we are doing a thru-hike. That may have just avoided me having to have thick skin, I don’t know. I now tell people we are starting in Georgia in March and we are spending 200 days on the AT, ending on Katahdin in October. I suppose I am doing this for the purists. But do I need to? Is there a definition of a thru-hike and is it linked to time in town, or number of days with your pack? We know we are not doing 2190 miles, we already did 110 of PA and are only going to do 40 more miles of it (leaving a gap of 70 miles of PA not done, period).
I guess I feel like if you backpack – 3-6 days, and do that 40 to 50 times in a row . . . you’re a backpacker at least. What disqualifies you from calling it a thru-hike though?
I’m sorry if I am stirring the pot here, I am truly interested in the mores of trail culture. We’re hiking our own hike, hope to get 2000 miles in next year . . . and no doubt friends and family will call it a thru-hike, but I do wonder whether there will be an * after our names . . . (thru hikers, except for those times they hopped off the trail, and that 70 miles in PA they skipped) J
This is all in good spirit, if I offended anyone, it was not my intent.

hikerboy57
10-17-2012, 16:47
its just a definition, it means nothing, like defining a sunset.you can call it whatever you want. go expeience the sunset, forget about defining it.

Lone Wolf
10-17-2012, 17:05
it's just walkin' is all

BCPete
10-17-2012, 18:14
Kind of reminds me of all the "records" for different ways to climb Everest. Do I really need to know that you're a "Chinese-Latino American Gay Woman with Diabetes" to say you really climbed the mountain in style? Basically you covered the vertical height to climb the mountain, and there ain't no extra hero bisquits to go around.

If you start at Springer and end up at Katahdin, then I'd say you are an AT thru-hiker. Anyone who says different needs some life experience (or a life I suppose).

Oneofsix
10-17-2012, 18:29
If you start at Springer and end up at Katahdin, then I'd say you are an AT thru-hiker. Anyone who says different needs some life experience (or a life I suppose).

:) thanks! (and you hit the nail on the head, CLAGF w/D)

joshuasdad
10-17-2012, 18:45
Technically, if you want "2000 miler" recognition from the ATC, you will also need to do that 70 miles of PA that you plan to skip ("Hikers who report their hike of the entire Trail will be added to our
roster of 2,000-milers, and will receive a certificate of recognition and a 2,000-miler rocker and an A.T. patch" (emphasis added)).

See http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail/2000-milers/2000-miler-application . The 2000 miler desigation indicates the completion of the entire trail, not just 2000 miles.

Have a great hike!

Odd Man Out
10-17-2012, 20:05
The ATC says "A thru-hiker is a hiker or backpacker who has completed or is attempting to walk the entire Appalachian Trail in one uninterrupted journey." You get to decide for yourself what "the entire AT", "completed", "uninterrupted journey" and "hiker" means. Defining it further is not part of AT culture. It is part of people being stupid.

Sarcasm the elf
10-17-2012, 20:31
When I'm out during nobo season, people commonly ask me if I'm thru hiking, I just respond by telling them that I'll never be through hiking. ;)

MuddyWaters
10-17-2012, 20:37
My favorite answer is when asked if they are "thru hiking", and someone just answers "not yet".

RodentWhisperer
10-17-2012, 20:38
There was an interesting article on BPL not long ago:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/backpacking_v_thruhiking.html

max patch
10-17-2012, 21:00
Words have meanings and when someone says they did a thru hike the only thing that needs to be clarified is if it was NOBO or SOBO.

The traditional definition of a thru hiker is a person who is attempting to become a 2,000 miler in a single, continuous journey by putting on a backpack, leaving from one terminus of the trail, and hiking essentially unassisted to the other terminus.

Oneofsix
10-17-2012, 21:11
Technically, if you want "2000 miler" recognition from the ATC, you will also need to do that 70 miles of PA that you plan to skip ("Hikers who report their hike of the entire Trail will be added to our
roster of 2,000-milers, and will receive a certificate of recognition and a 2,000-miler rocker and an A.T. patch" (emphasis added)).

See http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail/2000-milers/2000-miler-application . The 2000 miler desigation indicates the completion of the entire trail, not just 2000 miles.

Have a great hike!

thanks, I suppose these are the fine points I was seeking. We don't really care about whether we recieve a certificate. If we succeed we will be doing it in two sections . . .one that is 200 miles and one that is 2000 miles (give or take). I'm glad to hear so many people are low key about it . . . we just love to hike and be in the wild . . . and we plan to be there from Springer to Mt Baxter . . . :)

Grampie
10-17-2012, 21:14
It,s all in what you want to call your hike. You can start at either end, hike some and call yourself a thru hiker like many folks do. They have no intention of staying with the hike for 2180 miles. They consider themselves thru-hikers when they are out there.
During my first attempt to thru I got to Fontana Dam and left the trail with a stress fracture. I returned the following year. Started again where I had left off and continued walking NOBO for 2000 miles. Was I wrong to consider my hike a thru-hike?

Alligator
10-17-2012, 22:04
Why even bother to skip the 70 miles? It shouldn't be more than 4-5 days hiking.

Oneofsix
10-17-2012, 22:15
Why even bother to skip the 70 miles? It shouldn't be more than 4-5 days hiking.

The 70 miles are not all in one chunk. My 14 year old daughter and I did PA this summer . . well half of it and I had an injury. Next summer - although we have 200 days we will be pressed for time and decided we are going to go back and do two bits in PA, but not all of it. 70 miles will be at least a week for us . . . especially with those damn rocks. We're hiking our own hike, know what we have in us and the 70 miles in PA won't be part of 2013 . . . maybe we'll get back and do it another year. We would hate to mess around and get PA done and miss the last 70 miles . . . or even 70 miles of New England.

WingedMonkey
10-17-2012, 22:17
I had already hiked all of Massachusetts at least three times before my thru hike. Although I carried a much lighter pack and slept in indoors most nights, I still hiked it again on my thru. It was a good time to have friends that don't normaly hike join me.

Once you get that far it just don't feel right to say "well, I've already done this section".

I'd suggest waiting till you actually make it to Pennsylvania before you plan any skipping

As for what you call yourself, I couldn't care, until you make it to Kathadin. A lot of "thru hikers" this year and every year never do.

Oneofsix
10-17-2012, 22:36
I had already hiked all of Massachusetts at least three times before my thru hike. Although I carried a much lighter pack and slept in indoors most nights, I still hiked it again on my thru. It was a good time to have friends that don't normaly hike join me.

Once you get that far it just don't feel right to say "well, I've already done this section".

I'd suggest waiting till you actually make it to Pennsylvania before you plan any skipping

As for what you call yourself, I couldn't care, until you make it to Kathadin. A lot of "thru hikers" this year and every year never do.

for several years now we have known we will be pushing it to do 2000 miles in 200 days. We had to cut 200 and decided PA was it. We tried to get it done this summer, but didn't get it all in . . . I can see not skipping Massachusetts . . its 70 miles, you had friends and from what I have heard about the route it is lovely? I expect to be relieved getting into Pen Mar excited to see DWG on the other side. . . . I suppose there is half a chance if it isn't 103 and the middle of a drought I might feel differently :) We are really trying to be realistic . . . not pessimistic

Don H
10-18-2012, 08:19
Skipping 70 miles is more trouble than it's worth unless you live close and someone can pick you up and take you back to the trail.

joshuasdad
10-18-2012, 09:37
The 70 miles are not all in one chunk. My 14 year old daughter and I did PA this summer . . well half of it and I had an injury. Next summer - although we have 200 days we will be pressed for time and decided we are going to go back and do two bits in PA, but not all of it. 70 miles will be at least a week for us . . . especially with those damn rocks. We're hiking our own hike, know what we have in us and the 70 miles in PA won't be part of 2013 . . . maybe we'll get back and do it another year. We would hate to mess around and get PA done and miss the last 70 miles . . . or even 70 miles of New England.

I used Pennsylvania as a training ground for my section hikes (what I like to think of as an extended "thru" -- after all, we are all section hikers until we finish).

Yes, there are a lot of rocks, but that helps you strengthen your feet, ankles, knees, etc. prior to hitting some real mountains in Georgia and North Carolina (or in NH/ME). If you have bad technique coming off of a 1000 ft high ridge in Pennsylvania, you may be hurting for a while, but you probably won't do any permanent injury. On the other hand, if you walk down 3000 feet of vertical further south (or north) on the trail, you could be setting yourself up for some lifelong injuries. Pennsylvania also allows you to develop endurance on some easy sections of trail. The hellish rocky sections seemed to be midway between road crossings, except for a few sections in northern PA. Nearer to the roads, you are often walking on smooth trail (or old fire road), where you can really build up your ability to do distance.

Anyway, the point I am trying to make is that perhaps you should finish up PA and maybe even Maryland before starting on your "thru" hike. This makes logistics easy (train to DC from Harpers Ferry, bus or train to NYC, bus to Delaware Water Gap).

And feel free to call it a "thru"...after all, Ed Garvey (a hiking legend) skipped some previously hiked sections in Virginia when he hiked (most of) the trail as reported in Appalachian Hiker.

FlyPaper
10-18-2012, 09:56
for several years now we have known we will be pushing it to do 2000 miles in 200 days. We had to cut 200 and decided PA was it. We tried to get it done this summer, but didn't get it all in . . . I can see not skipping Massachusetts . . its 70 miles, you had friends and from what I have heard about the route it is lovely? I expect to be relieved getting into Pen Mar excited to see DWG on the other side. . . . I suppose there is half a chance if it isn't 103 and the middle of a drought I might feel differently :) We are really trying to be realistic . . . not pessimistic

I would think that after hiking from Springer to Pen Mar, you'd be in such great shape that you could waltz across Pennsylvania.

Hike your own hike. But I would think the psychological satisfaction of completing the whole trail in one season is worth the extra effort of 70 miles, especially as fit as you'll be by the time you get there.

Pedaling Fool
10-18-2012, 12:07
This question gets asked a lot. I don't know why there's so much fascination over this term, kind of makes me wonder who coined the term, "Thru-hiker".

I tend believe that max patch's definition was the original version, but things change, including the meaning/use of words over time. As for thru-hiker, some will accept you as a thru-hiker if you hike as described in the OP, and some won't. If you want to argue the point you can, but it'll just be another long and pointless thread with no real change in anyone's definition of the term. ATC only gives a bare ass definition and they don't give you a certificate for a thru-hike. So in that sense it doesn't matter. Personally I don't even understand why they even give a certificate at all, i.e. the 2,000 miler. To me it's just a waste of time, focus and money. But some seem to think it's important.

Words have meanings and when someone says they did a thru hike the only thing that needs to be clarified is if it was NOBO or SOBO.

The traditional definition of a thru hiker is a person who is attempting to become a 2,000 miler in a single, continuous journey by putting on a backpack, leaving from one terminus of the trail, and hiking essentially unassisted to the other terminus.

4shot
10-18-2012, 21:13
it's all about the human condition and our need for scorekeeping. without definitions and labels, it's much harder to keep track of all the people whom are inferior to us. Terms such as "slackpacker", "yellow blazer", "flip flopper", "section hiker", etc. keep affairs neat and tidy for all the accountants that keep track of such things.

MuddyWaters
10-18-2012, 21:43
Its my assertion that nobody has a pure thru hike, and arguing and bickering is only about degrees of impurity. To that end, its all a waste of breath.

Do it with no help (at all, nobody mailing you resupplies, no rides to town, no free food from anyone), spend every night on the trail, continue constantly in either a north, or soutbound direction so that you encounter the natural weather patterns that are challenging, and maybe you can earn the title of "real" thru hiker.

rickb
10-18-2012, 22:02
I am of the sort that believes if it looks lke a duck and quacks like a duck, then its a duck.

If someone wants to call a grebe a duck, thats fine by me. They would be wrong, but so what?

But is someone wants to call a woodpecker a duck, then they are an idiot.

Either that, or they have an unhealty preocupation with ducks.

Tuxedo
10-19-2012, 04:06
My hike tho ive hiked end to end is not in the purist category, not even applied for 2000 miler status either. I'm surprised nobody has quoted Bob Peoples yet as well to the tune of don't count the blazes in his section because by the time you've made it to their completion summit Bob has changed them.

I will thru-hike from end to end someday and if satisfied with my will, fortitude, health and finish... it will only be miles to apply for 2000miler... The friends, Spirit, Angels, pictures and stories in the end will be the only things that really matter to me. Not the label or Certificate

Oneofsix
10-19-2012, 23:29
I would think that after hiking from Springer to Pen Mar, you'd be in such great shape that you could waltz across Pennsylvania.

Hike your own hike. But I would think the psychological satisfaction of completing the whole trail in one season is worth the extra effort of 70 miles, especially as fit as you'll be by the time you get there.

We'll be hiking our own hike that is for sure. I know we won't complete the whole trail in one season, so repeating PA is out . . .and we do have friends in PA to move us - in fact we have concert tickets for my daughter in Hershey the first week of July :0 We have our chance to do the AT in 2013 . . my daughter will be a sophomore in high school, and if we put it off, then we have to wait until after she graduates . . .

I'm glad to hear that there are as many thoughts and definitions as there are hikers . . . we're just going to do our thing and not give a second thought as to what others think of how we do it. What gets us to Maine, gets us to Maine . . . w'ere starting on Springer in March, we are ending at Katahdin when we get there (October?) and we plan to walk for 200 days . . . I wish March was next week . . I'm read for the next 4 months to fly!

slims
10-20-2012, 17:28
This thread is hilarious. :D

Capt Nat
10-20-2012, 20:26
This thread is hilarious. :D

Come now, it's not that funny...

evyck da fleet
10-21-2012, 11:00
Does anyone ever refer themself as a thru hiker or having thru hiked after their hike? Everyone I've met just tells me they hiked the trail in whatever year. Nobody cares whether or not you've thru hiked. The stats say most people who call themsleves thru hikers will not complete their hike.

When I was asked if I was a thru hiker I just told them I'm going as far as my body will let me or until I get bored. I started and finished my hike this year. If I would have had to finish it next year the only thing that would have bothered me was the extra travel costs not not being able to call myself a thru hiker. Enjoy your hike.

Dodds1990
10-27-2012, 15:06
If anyone knows Baltimore Jack, this post would've become the craziest post on White Blaze. If anyone sees him on trail this year ask him what defines a thru-hike. Haha should be an interesting conversation.

hikerboy57
10-27-2012, 15:17
Jack posts here from time to time and is fully aware of our foolishness.

TEXMAN
10-29-2012, 10:14
At Springer MTN the percentage of hikers who say they are thru hikers is much higher than the percentage that claim to be in PA .....

Why , because Talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words...

I was a thru hiker in 2009 for 1200 miles ..now every year I am just a hiker trying to get through

Old Man River