PDA

View Full Version : Would like to try a quilt

xftnfnb7
10-17-2012, 22:13
I think I'd like to try a quilt next spring and am looking for some recommendations I do like the idea of something very simple, basically just something I can pull over myself in the tent. Here are my criteria:

I'd like the quilt to pack down to a very small size. I've read that some will actually pack down to softball size. True?
I'm strictly a three season camper so I don't think I need to much below 30 degrees.

Any thoughts.....

Thanks in advance.

xftnfnb7
10-17-2012, 22:17
One more thing, since most of my camping is summer, I would sacrifice warmth for the ability to compact, but no 1/2 length quilts.

leaftye
10-17-2012, 23:14
A quilt with a foot box will help keep the quilt in place, as well as keeping you warm. A foot box that opens flat will be more comfortable on warmer nights when drafts and a bit of exposed skin is okay, even welcome. Enlightened Equipment is a good place to start your search.

jakedatc
10-17-2012, 23:16
Enlightened gear Revelation X 20 or 30 down quilt. i'm hoping to get a 20F for spring/fall eventually.

i made a synthetic summer only quilt that is good to 45-50F but once you go warmer than that down is lighter and more compact.

Erin
10-17-2012, 23:36
I just got a Thermarest Ventra Down comforter with a gift certificate that attaches to a sheet to go with my thermarest. It has a foot box. Supposed to be good at 40 degrees. I am an extremely hot sleeper and am small and this is replacing and old heavy 12 year old three season non-down bag. And it is replacing the down liner of my brother's from the 70's that ran out of down that I have used for a sleeping bag on week trips. I am taking it on a weekend backpack trip in a couple of weeks. I did not vet it here, but I am interested in opinions anyway.
It is way lighter than I had and I love down, but I know it is not ultra light. I thought it might work for our shoulder season weekend trips. I loved that old down liner and it was the closest thing I saw to it.

jakedatc
10-18-2012, 00:08
yea.. for similar price they can get the Enlightened quilt with 850 Fp down in like 1.5lb range.

Erin
10-18-2012, 00:13
yea,... I did not have that option at the place I had the gift certificate. I have heard the Enlightened's are very good

garlic08
10-18-2012, 10:32
Another recommendation here for the EnLightened Equipment Revelation X. Nice features, good price, and it has worked great for me down to its rating.

garlic08
10-18-2012, 10:37
...I'd like the quilt to pack down to a very small size. I've read that some will actually pack down to softball size. True?

EE does not publish a packed size, and I never tried to pack mine down that small, nor would I--no need. I doubt the one I bought would pack that small. Maybe one of the more expensive ones with lighter fabric would.

88BlueGT
10-18-2012, 11:27
A quilt with a foot box will help keep the quilt in place, as well as keeping you warm. A foot box that opens flat will be more comfortable on warmer nights when drafts and a bit of exposed skin is okay, even welcome. Enlightened Equipment is a good place to start your search.

^^ +1 My quilt is a 3 season, 45* quilt that has a slap up footbox with a drawstring at the bottom. Love it. And yes, it packs down to a softball.

Schooley
10-18-2012, 15:39
I have a Jacks R Better Sierra Sniveller and I love it.