PDA

View Full Version : first thru hike

younghiker.
10-18-2012, 01:36
Hello, my name is Travis. I am 19 years old, and i love the outdoors. I have went hunting with my father, grandfather, and uncle since i was 10. Ive been going on week long hikes with them every year, since i was 12. In the spring of either 2013 or 2014, as long as i can save up enough money, i am planning on taking a six month leave from work or quitting my lousy job so i can do what Ive always dreamed... Thru-hiking the entire Appalachian trail from Georgia to Maine. Ive done sections of the trail many times as well as other trails, but after hearing thru-hikers i had met, talk about their experiences i decided i wanted to do it. I talked my girlfriend into coming with me, and shes in shape and loves the outdoors but has never hiked before, and like ive stated ive never done a thru hike. I was just wondering if you guys could give me some helpful advice.

Darwin13
10-18-2012, 01:40
good luck dude. i guess im technically a young hiker too and il be starting march 2014. a thru is what it isn't, it's something else.

Wont remark on the gf but i hope you guys really like each other. haha jk

Don H
10-18-2012, 08:07
Here's some critical advice: Follow the white blazes and when you get to Vermont turn right. When you get there you'll figure it out!

You'll get more responses if you ask specific questions.
There's lots of info here, check out the articles on the home page.
You can use the search function to find information here.

Other sources:
Get a good guide book. I like The A.T. Guide by David Miller but there are others.
Go to www.trailjournals.com and read a few journals from people who have hiked the trail.

Good luck!

88BlueGT
10-18-2012, 11:30
When I think that she has never hiked before I am assuming that she does not have any gear. This can be costly for someone who has NOTHING, also pretty risky if she spends a ton of money on gear (tent, bag, cookwear, etc. etc. etc.), she hikes for two weeks and decides shes done. I would first start by getting her out for a few weekends before you commit to something that involves such dedication.