PDA

View Full Version : portable battery charger?

pinkiwong
10-18-2012, 03:05
I will be going to my first trip in a month or so. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good portable batter charger for iphone and ipad? due to work i will still need to have access to them, but i want to make sure that i will have enough battery to last the whole trip...

leaftye
10-18-2012, 03:14
The iPad gets 10 hours of battery life, no? I don't see you using up all that battery life between towns, not if you plan to hike too. Take a long meal in town while charging a couple pounds of electronics. As far as the phone goes, there's no reason to have it on if there isn't a cell phone signal.

leaftye
10-18-2012, 03:16
Also, since you already have the iPad, I'm thinking you only need the iPhone to make calls. Cell phones burn through batteries quickly when trying to hold onto a weak signal, so if you need to always have your phone on, you might be better off by getting a cheap disposable phone and a few spare batteries.

Maddog
10-18-2012, 08:26
I will be going to my first trip in a month or so. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good portable batter charger for iphone and ipad? due to work i will still need to have access to them, but i want to make sure that i will have enough battery to last the whole trip...

To answer your question...try one of the New Trent products! You can get them on Amazon for less than $30! I can usually get 3 or 4 full charges on my IPhone! I have this one! http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-Thunderbolt-Blackberry-IMP50D/dp/B002PV3UO0/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350563453&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=new+trent+iduel+battery Maddog:D

Huber
10-18-2012, 09:56
I use one of these. You can get about 2 1/2 charges with lithium bateries.

http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?products_id=3029

Starchild
10-18-2012, 10:15
To answer your question...try one of the New Trent products! You can get them on Amazon for less than $30! I can usually get 3 or 4 full charges on my IPhone! I have this one! http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-Thunderbolt-Blackberry-IMP50D/dp/B002PV3UO0/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350563453&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=new+trent+iduel+battery Maddog:D

ty, just ordered one after the cheep knockoff on I got couldn't really handle more then a single charge though rated the same in terms of mAh. I am hoping for a better outcome with this one. I am tempted to break open the one I have to see what type of battery is actually in it.

colorado_rob
10-18-2012, 10:24
I've had great luck with this little 1 ounce (plus another ounce for two AA lithiums), $3 device, takes two AA batteries, I get two full re-charges of an older, rather large IPOD from one set of batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/NEEWER-Emergency-Battery-Charger-Flashlight/dp/B003GUHHNO/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350570402&sr=1-10&keywords=battery+powered+usb+charger

Josh Calhoun
10-18-2012, 12:10
for my phone i use a solio bolt solar charger, you can get 2 charges out of it before you have to use the solar charge

Rasty
10-18-2012, 12:16
for my phone i use a solio bolt solar charger, you can get 2 charges out of it before you have to use the solar charge

I have the same charger and haven't had any luck using the solar charger. Two hours in direct sunlight and it charges maybe 15%. I also don't like how you have to protect the power button because if its bumped it drains the battery.

Josh Calhoun
10-18-2012, 13:10
I have the same charger and haven't had any luck using the solar charger. Two hours in direct sunlight and it charges maybe 15%. I also don't like how you have to protect the power button because if its bumped it drains the battery.

usually the 2 charges lasts me until town. then i will charge the solio back. but you are right about the power button. its got me once

slow mind
10-18-2012, 13:57
I have a Solio classic I get one decent charge out of it (not 100%) and charging it in the sun is PAINFULLY slow...not really an option unless you are taking a zero on a clear day. I accually don't carry it anymore I leave in on the boat for an emergency backup.

msupple
10-18-2012, 14:31
Check out Anker products. Their external bateries work very well and are reasonably priced. Very high quality. I can't rember my model but it charges my Droid about 4 times....is about the size of a deck of cards. They also have smaller ones that will recharge your phone at least two times...about $30 on Amazon. Two charges should be plenty on an AT hike even if you are using your phone heavily.

gentrified
10-18-2012, 18:24
hi! Get a Mophie. hands down best charger out there. Small compact, and comes in different sizes (larger ones for ipad ) I hiked the entire AT with this gem. Can charge an iphone faster than wall plug, I get ipod charges and at least 3 iphone charges. Well worth the money.

ParkRat09
10-18-2012, 23:52
Goal Zero makes super awesome solar powered chargers for every kind of expedition. We sell them at my store and they are pretty cool.

http://www.goalzero.com/

Big Dawg
10-19-2012, 03:05
Richardsolo.com

Deacon
10-19-2012, 04:19

Like Starchild said. I would be very cautious of Amazons deals where you can get products at huge discounts. I learned the hard way.

I once bought a Mophie iPhone charger at 50% off. When I got it, it would not hd a charge. I sent the Mophie back to the company for replacement (not amazon) and found out that the unit was a cheap Chinese counterfeit. Mophie sent the unit back to me with the slip stamped COUNTERFEIT - NOT MADE BY MOPHIE, and would not repair or replace.

One key to watch for on Amazon is to note if the product is sold by a 3rd party vendor, something Amazon typically does. I noticed the link in the quoted post goes to amazon, but Amazon then says its sold by Idealpoint. Who the heck are they?

I ended up going directly to New Trent's website to buy an authentic model IMP5200. Made in the USA.

leaftye
10-19-2012, 04:45
There's where having an Amazon Prime membership can add a layer of protection. As a Prime member, I'm inclined to buy things directly from Amazon so I can get free 2 day shipping, and I commonly filter accordingly.

You're right though. You have to be aware who you're buying from. Just because you buy on Amazon does not mean you're buying from Amazon. Unless something is sold directly from Amazon, it should be treated like any item that's sold on eBay.

There is one difference though. I hear Amazon is very strict about booting sellers with bad ratings. I hope you rated that seller poorly. eBay is much worse, and actually seems to promote the sale of counterfeit products by their inaction over reports of such.

Fredt4
10-19-2012, 15:21
i purchased extra batteries $5 each from china for my android phone. they lasted about one year.

ChinMusic
10-19-2012, 15:36
I have been using my New Trent for about 6 months now for my iPhone on several trips. It works as advertised.

tridavis
10-19-2012, 17:49
Right now it is $77 on New Trent and Amazon......I would opt for New Trent.

pinkiwong
03-15-2013, 02:00
Thanks Guys, i ended up purchasing a New Trent charger at http://www.newtrent.com/store/iphone-external-battery/newtrent-easypak-nt70t-external-battery-ipad-battery-pack.html

It charged my phone about 4 times (from around 20%) so i think their advertised of 350% is pretty accurate. This has been one of the best purchases i made for awhile. I got back from my trip and was glad i made this purchase. Saved me a lot of time from not heading over to a plug. I was taking videos and photos as well as using my iphone as a GPS during my recent trip to NYC. i think i might give their iCarrier a try down the road. Also, i did find out that iDealpoint is actaully New Trent's authroized amazon distributor. but even with that said, i'd say still go direct, play it safe.

Again, thank you all for your inputs!

pinkiwong
03-15-2013, 02:06
Thanks guys! sorry i had forgot to update this thread and let everyone know what i went with. based on everyone's suggestions i looked a few chargers and eventually took ppl's advice and went with the New Trent charger - http://www.newtrent.com/store/iphone-external-battery/newtrent-easypak-nt70t-external-battery-ipad-battery-pack.html i gotta say, one of the best purchases i made!

i was in NYC not too long ago and i was using my phone for GPS, photos, and video. The charger came in pretty handy and gave me about 4x charges (me and my girlfriend) we cahrged when we reached aronud 15-20% so their advertised of 350% is pretty accurate. we toured the city, ate hot dogs from central station, and visited some local landmarks. I remember before eerytime i tried to cram a trip, waking up at 6 and being out and about would drain my phone to 30% by noon. Then i'd wait for it to charge while at lunch and i'd lose time that way.

anyways, thanks for the suggestiion guys. I think i'm gonna try out their iCarrier next. supposively charges your phone 6x! anyone tried it?
oh, btw, i did check with New Trent,and idealpoint is their authorized disributor. but, even that, i rather buy direct.

saltysack
03-15-2013, 10:43
Newtrent I torch is light and works great with iPhone 5...$39.99 free shipping smazon

Stofko
03-24-2013, 23:08
I came across this product that charges while you walk butits 14 ounces and 200.00 dollars.
http://www.npowerpeg.com/new-specs-page
I was interested in catching some ballgames in the eveningsbut I think cell services with Sprint on the AT will be limited until I getinto Virginia and I’m not sure if it would be worth it.

Doc Mike
03-25-2013, 00:17
forget solar get a new trent from amazon this is my second year using it and its awesome

leaftye
03-25-2013, 00:32
I came across this product that charges while you walk butits 14 ounces and 200.00 dollars.
http://www.npowerpeg.com/new-specs-page
I was interested in catching some ballgames in the eveningsbut I think cell services with Sprint on the AT will be limited until I getinto Virginia and I’m not sure if it would be worth it.

The results are similar to your bland food diet. When are you getting one?