PDA

View Full Version : What's a good week long section of the AT with shuttle availability?

JoshAuerbach
10-18-2012, 12:18
Looking for a good week long section that has a possibility of being shuttled back to the car. We are looking for some good climbs, good views (360 if possible), some lakes or ponds would be preferable. Solitude is preferred but basically just don't want to be around crowds of people. Looking for a peaceful trip with beautiful scenery and a few peaks or mountains. Any suggestions?

Violent Green
10-18-2012, 13:18
How many miles per day are you looking to do?

Ryan

JoshAuerbach
10-18-2012, 13:38
First backpacking trip so nothing crazy. 8ish on average I'd say. No more then 10 a day preferably.

Llama Legs
10-18-2012, 16:27
Park in Damascus and pick up a shuttle to Watauga/321. 40 miles? Easy terrain, not crowded. water where noted.

HikerMom58
10-18-2012, 16:53
Blue Ridge Parkway, McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs and Dragon's tooth. (Central VA)...I'll shuttle ya.

bigcranky
10-18-2012, 18:09
The northern 2/3 of Shenandoah National Park. 65 miles, great terrain, good views, and the occasional restaurant right on the trail.

Mt Rogers: the 65 miles from the MRNRA headquarters to Damascus. Great section, easy shuttle from Damascus.

joshuasdad
10-18-2012, 20:03
Southern North Carolina, between Rock Gap and Fontana (or Dick's Creek in Georgia to Wesser, NC (NOC)) may fit your description. Plenty of shuttlers and places to stay if needed (Ron Haven, Aquone Hostel, Hike Inn, from south to north). Much nicer trail than PA, but some of the climbs and descents are long -- but worth it -- pretty much a great 360 view every day of hiking.

shelb
10-18-2012, 23:17
North part of SNP or Maryland from Harpers to Penn Mar

Rasty
10-18-2012, 23:23
Damascus to Partnership shelter. Don't try to ride the ponies in Greyson Highlands. Amazing views. Camp just north of Thomas Knob shelter if possible.

ParkRat09
10-18-2012, 23:35
The 75 miles of the AT in the Smokies is basically split into 2 parts (one easier than the other) and shuttle companies everywhere in the Park. A Walk in the Woods is a great one

MkBibble
10-22-2012, 13:12
Surprised that nobody has mentioned starting at Springer. Springer to Deep Gap is about a week, plenty of shuttles, and lots of places to get off the trail is issues arise, or you just don't get as far as you hoped.

RachelPockets
10-25-2012, 11:14
I second, (or third) the vote for Partnership shelter to Damascus. I'm a newbie backpacker and that is the section that my friends and I did. Nothing like jumping in and doing 65 miles when you've never backpacked before!

Cookerhiker
10-25-2012, 14:42
Looking for a good week long section that has a possibility of being shuttled back to the car. We are looking for some good climbs, good views (360 if possible), some lakes or ponds would be preferable. Solitude is preferred but basically just don't want to be around crowds of people. Looking for a peaceful trip with beautiful scenery and a few peaks or mountains. Any suggestions?

Since "...lakes or ponds would be preferable...," I suggest Vermont between Rt. 9 outside Bennington and Rt. 140 outside Wallingford, a distance of 66 miles. If you make good time, you can expand it to Sherburne Pass at Rt. 4. Highlights for what you're looking for include 3 natural lakes - Stratton Pond, Little Rock Pond, and Griffith Lake - and 2 mountains with fire towers giving you your 360 degree views - Glastonbury and Stratton mountains. There are other viewpoints along the trail as well.

You didn't say when the hike occurs. Right now, the leaves are off the trees in VT and you'd experience cold temps. When are you going?

Don H
10-26-2012, 07:40
Since this is your first trip why don't you try someplace close? Since you're near Pittsburg consider starting in Duncannon (near Harrisburg) and go south.
Buy a guide book to use in planning your hike. I like the AT Guide by David Miller.
Go to the ATC website for a list of shuttlers and parking information.
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking