PDA

View Full Version : a few misc questions I need answered B4 my thru

RITBlake
05-14-2005, 16:21
1. How much Dr. B's soap should I carry on my thru? Campmor sells it in a few different sizes.

2. This sounds silly but do most folks wear underwear? I hiked my shakedown hike w/ running shorts but frequently wished I had hiking shorts w/ pockets to hold snacks, map etc. So I'll b wearing something like that. Any recomendations on what type of boxers people wear? How many pairs?

3. I'm going to use the Aqua Mira water treatment on my thru. How many drops go in to a Nalgene? A 2 Liter Platy?

4. Besides toothbrush, toothpaste, Dr.B's soap, and fingernail clippers, am I forgetting anything that should be in my 'bathroom' kit?

5. How do you wash out your cooking bowl (or mug for us Jetboilers) if theres no water available? The thru-hiking planning book suggests to bring a small dish scrubby which you keep in a ziplock.

thanks in advance.

Nearly Normal
05-14-2005, 17:20
1. How much Dr. B's soap should I carry on my thru? Campmor sells it in a few different sizes.

Very little. It goes a long way. "a little dab al do ya"
You'll be surprised how many outfitters you find along the way.

2. This sounds silly but do most folks wear underwear? I hiked my shakedown hike w/ running shorts but frequently wished I had hiking shorts w/ pockets to hold snacks, map etc. So I'll b wearing something like that. Any recomendations on what type of boxers people wear? How many pairs?

A cheap wall mart poly bathing suit with pockets for shorts. Plenty don't wear any. Just not cotton.

3. I'm going to use the Aqua Mira water treatment on my thru. How many drops go in to a Nalgene? A 2 Liter Platy?

They come with directions. How to mix, how long to wait, etc..

4. Besides toothbrush, toothpaste, Dr.B's soap, and fingernail clippers, am I forgetting anything that should be in my 'bathroom' kit?

Medications, daily vita,vita I, lip balm, vasoline until you throw away the underwear.

5. How do you wash out your cooking bowl (or mug for us Jetboilers) if theres no water available? The thru-hiking planning book suggests to bring a small dish scrubby which you keep in a ziplock.

Rinse bowl, drink sump. then rinse after scrubbing with pine cone. The next time you boil water will take care of the wiggle tails.

Take jelled alcohol. Hand sanitiser. More people get sick eating after reading the shelter journal than from bad water. Don't let anyone stick there hand in your gorp.
pete

thanks in advance.You'll know what you do and don't need by Neel's Gap. The folks there will help you cut weight.

chris
05-14-2005, 17:38
A few personal opinions.

1) Don't buy any. Bring gelled alcohol to clean hands with after taking a crap. When in town, soap is easy enough to find.

2) Recently, I've been using underwear from Underarmor and like it quite a bit. These are skin tight semi-boxers (think cycling shorts). I've used similar things on the PCT, AT, and GDT and they seem to help a lot with chafe. Bring only the pair you are wearing. You could buy a second pair and put them in the bounce box. It isn't necessary to carry a spare pair.

3) Can't help you, as I don't treat. I carry a bottle of Polar Pure for emergencies. Cost me $6 in the spring of 2003. Been using it ever since.

4) Carry tooth brush and paste (travel size. buy a load at Wal-mart, put spares in the bounce box). Skip the soap. Put the clippers in a bounce box. Include toilet paper and gelled alcohol in your bathroom kit. I'd make sure that you have some multivitamins with you as well.

5) Only cook if there is a water source nearby. Don't haul additional water unless you have to. This will frequently mean that you cook in the afternoon, and then hike on. This works out really well, as the hiking is super pleasant after about 6 pm and the animals come out again. Plus, many hikers stop hiking in the mid afternoon, and thus you get the trail all to yourself. I wouldn't carry a scrub brush unless you are planning to burn a lot of stuff. A handful of leaves work just fine for scrubbing out tough things.

Just Jeff
05-14-2005, 20:34
I just starting hiking in swim trunks and like them a lot. I tried the Underarmour boxer briefs but they didn't give my boys enough space. You can get trunks with pockets if you look, or you could clip a small mesh stuff sack to your hip belt or to the bottom of your shoulder strap...that's where I keep my 24oz water bottle and trail guide (when it's sized right), but it could just as easily hold snacks.

AM has instructions...7 drops per liter. If you don't treat, make sure you know how to find water that's less likely to be contaminated...coming directly out of the ground, out of rocks, higher elevations where it's most likely runoff, etc. Waiting 5 min for the AM to mix, then 20-45 min before you can drink it EACH TIME you fill up can cause you to either drink less than you should or carry some extra water. I always have two containers so I can have one brewing while I drink the other one. When I treat.

I don't carry a scrubby, either. I use leaves or put some sand in and swish it around with water (careful with the non-stick coating). If it's greasy you can heat the water a little or wipe it out with a bandana. I'm starting to learn freezer-bag cooking so I don't have to clean my pot, though.

And for your bathroom kit, don't forget an electric razor with long extension cord and a few extra batteries. Maybe some cologne. Sometimes a hitch can depend on how clean-cut you look. :tongue

Moon Monster
05-14-2005, 21:08
As long as the pot is cool, your fingers can make an excellent scrubby. I even used my shirt if I cared to get any residual oil out (say from cheese). Wash the pot for real during your town chores.

Whistler
05-14-2005, 21:19
1) Don't buy any. Bring gelled alcohol to clean hands with after taking a crap.
2) Recently, I've been using underwear from Underarmor and like it quite a bit. These are skin tight semi-boxers (think cycling shorts).
4) Carry tooth brush and paste (travel size. buy a load at Wal-mart, put spares in the bounce box). Skip the soap. Put the clippers in a bounce box. Include toilet paper and gelled alcohol in your bathroom kit. I'd make sure that you have some multivitamins with you as well.
5) Only cook if there is a water source nearby. Don't haul additional water unless you have to. This will frequently mean that you cook in the afternoon, and then hike on.
I heartily agree with these 4 recommendations. Well said.
-Mark

Mags
05-14-2005, 22:58
A few personal opinions.

2) Recently, I've been using underwear from Underarmor and like it quite a bit. These are skin tight semi-boxers (think cycling shorts). I've used similar things on the PCT, AT, and GDT and they seem to help a lot with chafe. Bring only the pair you are wearing. You could buy a second pair and put them in the bounce box. It isn't necessary to carry a spare pair.

I like all of Chris' ideas...(esp. the Purrel part. Think simple handwashing is more important than filtering IMO).

But, one thing I do differently is that I go "commando" when hiking in shorts.. Prefer loose fitting shorts with lots of ventilation. Don't know why...but chafe is not an issue.
(Curiously, when doing long runs, prefer short running tights. Go figure!)

Guess you can always start w/underwear. Ditch it if needed.

TakeABreak
05-14-2005, 23:43
Hygiene, First I did a lot of small mail drops to outfitters, hostels and motels, a few to the P.O., I did carry camp soap but will Dr , bronners next time, I carried just a little 2 oz, and had some in every mail drop. I would fill up my water bag, carry it behind the shelter or into the woods, wet down, soap up bandana, scub up, rinse off, as easy as that. I really liked being to wash up at night, the less you stink the easier it is to go to sleep.

Cleaning cook pot, I washed up my bandana good, heated a little water in cook pot, put in a drop or two of camp soap, scrubbed it, rinsed it out al done. ( I used an evernew titanium pot, really easy to clean)

I also carried a .5 oz bottle of purrell hand sanitizer, after doing the dirty doo, rinse hands with water (I sipped from sip tube without touching with hands, squirted from mouth onto hands) , then put on a little hands sanitizer you are good to go.

don't need finger nail clippers, I carry a very small pair of first aid scissors, worked just and well.

RITBlake
05-15-2005, 00:04
Thanks for all the great advice guys. Lots of helpful info in there. Columbia makes a pair of swim trunks that would be perfect.

What about an umbrella. After talking to an old-timer who hangs out at the local outfitter, he convinced me that carrying an umbrellas is perfect for hiking in the rain. You stay dry (relatively) and you don't sweat yourself to death in 'breathable' rain gear. I only hike w/ one trekking pole because I like having a free hand for some reason. I ordered and received the Go-Lite umbrella. Does anybody else hike w/ one?

chris
05-15-2005, 15:23
If I was to hike on the AT again for an extended period of time, I would bring an umbrella and a good, water resistant windshirt. Last summer, when it rained I generally didn't put on rain gear unless it was also cold out. I met a woman thruhiker in NJ who was doing this with great success. If you use trekking poles, though, it is of a little less use.

The high, exposed areas of New Hampshire and Maine would, I assume as I have only briefly hiked in NH, render the umbrella close to useless. With the cold, I think having solid rain gear there might be a good idea.

Ender
05-16-2005, 14:07
1. How much Dr. B's soap should I carry on my thru? Campmor sells it in a few different sizes..

The smallest one. You can always resupply in town, or via mail drops.

2. This sounds silly but do most folks wear underwear? I hiked my shakedown hike w/ running shorts but frequently wished I had hiking shorts w/ pockets to hold snacks, map etc. So I'll b wearing something like that. Any recomendations on what type of boxers people wear? How many pairs?.

I didn't, but I know people who did. The shorts I wore had them kinda sewn in (Ex Officio Amphi's), so I guess I sorta wore them, but I didn't carry any seperate pairs.

4. Besides toothbrush, toothpaste, Dr.B's soap, and fingernail clippers, am I forgetting anything that should be in my 'bathroom' kit?.

Neosporin. The stuff is great for any number of things.

5. How do you wash out your cooking bowl (or mug for us Jetboilers) if theres no water available? The thru-hiking planning book suggests to bring a small dish scrubby which you keep in a ziplock. .

I always used just plain water. Only once was I not able to clean it out, and I just scrubbed a little sand on it to get off the worst of it and cleaned it fully when I got to camp later.

Of course, that's just how I did it.

"ME & U"
05-16-2005, 14:27
I'm a big fan of soft shells. The umbrella thing works but has it's set backs, mostly the fact that it doesn't rain every day and you end up carrying it more than you use it.

Soft shells rock! they don't fight off the rain as well as a hard shell but I certainly use one more than I do my hard shell. Less "sweaty" more breathable, and dry quick. I hike with a t-shirt, have a primaloft shirt thats water resistant (TA jacket from EMS) and my soft shell. I do have a couple that vary in thickness for different weather patterns. I just find them more useful for hiking.
On our thru we hardly used our rain gear for rain. Mostly for warmth at camp.
We also used rubbing alcohol for hygenic purposes. basically a rub down every night. We simply split a bottle at resupply and it worked great. No stinky feet, pits, or anything else for that matter and it toughens your feet. Not to mention works as an cleanser for various things. Stored it with our tp for instant use afterwards as a hand cleaner.

Ender
05-16-2005, 14:28
Oh, and check out MSR Sweetwater Purifier Solution for treating water. It's easier than Aqua Mira since you don't have to mix anything, and lasts longer. A better deal for the $$$ if you ask me. I've been using it for a while now and it works great.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=9044356&parent_category_rn=4500460&vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPING_TOC

Also, I agree with don't bring any Dr. Bronners soap. You probably won't end up using too much in the outdoors. The Purell will fit yoru needs out there just fine.

Smooth03
05-18-2005, 11:54
Ditch the soap and use hand sanitizer.

2. This sounds silly but do most folks wear underwear? I hiked my shakedown hike w/ running shorts but frequently wished I had hiking shorts w/ pockets to hold snacks, map etc. So I'll b wearing something like that. Any recomendations on what type of boxers people wear? How many pairs? I did not wear underwear on my thru but I DID have pants with a liner. I can not stress enough the importance of having a liner if you go commando. Without something between your legs and.....well...you know...you will have some serious chafing.

3. I'm going to use the Aqua Mira water treatment on my thru. How many drops go in to a Nalgene? A 2 Liter Platy? A Nalgene is one liter so follow the directions. What you refer to as the "2 Liter Platy" might actually be their 2.4 Liter. If so, I usually put in 17 drops(based on 7 drops per liter).

4. Besides toothbrush, toothpaste, Dr.B's soap, and fingernail clippers, am I forgetting anything that should be in my 'bathroom' kit? Not that I can think of.

5. How do you wash out your cooking bowl (or mug for us Jetboilers) if theres no water available? The thru-hiking planning book suggests to bring a small dish scrubby which you keep in a ziplock. I would not reccomend carrying a jetboil or any other canister style stove. I usually washed every night sans soap and then washed it really well whenever I went in to town.

Didn't read any of the other posts so I realize I'm probably being redundant.

trippclark
05-18-2005, 12:16
What about an umbrella. After talking to an old-timer who hangs out at the local outfitter, he convinced me that carrying an umbrellas is perfect for hiking in the rain. You stay dry (relatively) and you don't sweat yourself to death in 'breathable' rain gear. I only hike w/ one trekking pole because I like having a free hand for some reason. I ordered and received the Go-Lite umbrella. Does anybody else hike w/ one?

I started hiking with an umbrella about 400 trail miles back and now would not hike without it. I first carried a cheap wally world umbrella, then found a small mountainsmith umbrella, and most recently got the golite dome like you have. The golite is my favorite but one caution, I found that the golite umbrella will wet-out in a long heavy rain and start to leak. I fixed that problem (or I think that I did) by spraying both sides with silicone spray. . . no more leaking.

If hiking with an umbrella, you will probably also want to wear gaitors to keep your socks from becoming soaked and wicking into your boots/shoes. In most rains, I find that the umbrella and gaitors are all of the rain gear that I need. I still carry a rain jacket/shell as a backup in case the umbrella is destroyed or impractical, but so far have never used it (for rain protection . . . but have for added layers).

English Stu
05-23-2005, 16:46
Umbrellas are useful but you do carry them more than you use them .I tripped and broke one -left another after a while for privy use eventually thought a poncho tarp would be lighter and more use all round.

David S.
05-23-2005, 17:22
This is kind of off topic but to my thinking, there is no reason in the world why someone couldn't invent a trekking pole with a built in umbrella. I'm imagining that the shaft of the umbrella would double as the shaft of the trekking pole. I'm wondering if I could somehow take the ribs and canopy off of a regular umbrella and modify it onto my existing trekking pole. Assuming it didn't make one pole to much heavier than the other. If it starts to rain, I would simply use one trekking pole and use the other as the umbrella. It might be more work than its worth.

I to enjoy using an umbrella in the rain, but like many have said, I carry it more than I use it...and its not the lightest piece of gear to be going unused. David S.

dream
07-16-2005, 06:35
This is kind of off topic but to my thinking, there is no reason in the world why someone couldn't invent a trekking pole with a built in umbrella. . Yeah no kidding , I have always wondered why they never tried to make a trekking pole that had a screw in attachment into the top of the handle . I have always wanted one so I could screw in a camera and use it like a one legged tripod. a natural extention of this would be just the very top of the umbrella that screwed the into the top of a trekking pole. I think it would sell like crazy , especially if it was called somthing with ultralite in the name and guaranteed to shave off hundredths of a gram of packweight. It would be a snap to market thats for sure.

MOWGLI
07-16-2005, 06:42
Yeah no kidding , I have always wondered why they never tried to make a trekking pole that had a screw in attachment into the top of the handle . I have always wanted one so I could screw in a camera and use it like a one legged tripod. a natural extention of this would be just the very top of the umbrella that screwed the into the top of a trekking pole. I think it would sell like crazy , especially if it was called somthing with ultralite in the name and guaranteed to shave off hundredths of a gram of packweight. It would be a snap to market thats for sure.

This product is available. Campmor used to sell them.

Doctari
07-16-2005, 10:52
Like many others, I carry alcohol gel. I also had a few hand wipes or wet naps that I kept in with my TP

I wear a Kilt & go "commando".

I filter, sorry.

Toilet paper?

My "scrubby" is the net from a turkey. It is effective, easy to clean on the trail, very light weight. I use a yellow one as it is easier to find when I drop it. I don't carry soap for cleaning my pot, I just use clean (treated) water it only takes a Oz or 2. I dont store it in a zip lock, prefering to let it dry in the net pocket of my pack, reducing the number of nasties that can grow on it, at least I hope it does.

Doctari.

Frosty
07-16-2005, 11:18
I'm a big fan of soft shells. The umbrella thing works but has it's set backs, mostly the fact that it doesn't rain every day and you end up carrying it more than you use it. .This applies to all rain gear, and like moleskin, band-aids, etc, I rarely complain about carrying rain gear and not having to use it. :)

LIhikers
07-16-2005, 11:58
to bring dental floss. Add a sewing needle and you've got a repair kit of sorts.

Anumber1
09-15-2005, 21:06
Im not sure if its possible in the area you live, but I would recommend you go on many, many overnight hikes and sort of "pretend" you're on the AT. You'll learn a LOT about every thing you carry in your pack (whether you need it or not) and find out which gear, and personal items work best for you. Practice makes perfect and you can never go on too many hiking trips... especially if you're preparing for the AT.

Good Luck

Alligator
09-15-2005, 21:49
RITBlake and UCONNMike were moving through PA (SOBO's) in mid-August. Didn't get to meet Blake, but I did briefly meet Mike (Blake was just a short ways behind).:)

Seeker
09-16-2005, 01:47

a very little goes a long way. i have a large bottle at home that i refill a smaller one from.

nylon swim trunks from walmart. about $8. can get a trophy shop to sew the word 'columbia' on it for about $5 more, if you need it...

14 drops, 7 per qt/liter. oddly, canadian instructions i read said 5 drops...

again, walmart. they sell a travel toothbrush set that has a holder that doubles as a handle for about $1.50. i've been refilling the same 1oz tube from a larger one for about 5 years. just press the two holes tightly together, squeeze carefully, and it refills quickly, easily, and if you held it carefully, no mess. i chew my nails, use swiss army scissors for toenails. purell is a godsend, and i believe, as others have said, that poor toilet habits/sanitation cause more illness than 'bad' water.

for starters, i'm a simple cook. lipton/ramen or hot water into a bag. i often boil a last batch of water in my cook pot for after-dinner cocoa... that gets most of it clean. even if there's a little 'lumpiness' to the water, it's all edible...if there's too much residue, i boil less water, add some cold water and drink it, then make another batch that's not 'lumpy' for the cocoa. after that, i just rinse the cup with clean water, swish it around, and either drink it or toss it. not too fussy... wipe dry if it's late and i want to hang everything and go to bed, or let air dry if early... if i carry it, my scubby (about a 2'' square) goes in a mesh bag so it can dry, never a zip lock... that's just nasty... hangs off my pack the next morning if more drying is needed, or goes in my pot if not. anything not killed dies next time i cook, and i wash my pot with soap when i can, like in a hotel or public restroom. oh. pine needles, leaves, a stick, sand, or even a handful of grass all work fine for a scrubbie. sand is bad for non-stick though, but fine on aluminum or titanium, provided you don't go overboard and start rubbing off enough material to damage it.

kaytee
09-17-2005, 11:20
14 drops, 7 per qt/liter. oddly, canadian instructions i read said 5 drops...

It's because our water is cleaner! :D

Seriously, I think that it has to do with government regulations. The Canadian bottles that say 5 drops/L also say "not for sale in the US"

OnStar

titanium_hiker
09-17-2005, 12:51
canadian drop sizes are different to usa drop sizes?

Kozmic Zian
09-18-2005, 00:26
Yea, Exxtra Stuufff....

No Soap, or buy a 'travel size container' of hand soap at the drug store. I prefer to use this instead of some heavier DB type. Remember you can buy anything you want at outfitters and in towns along The Trail. Carry only what you use every day.

Underwear is just something else to get stinky and sweaty and have to carry. Buy 2 pr of light 4oz or less, bathing trunks with a mesh liner....you have support and no chafing. Wear one while hiking, sleep in the other....till you get to town.

I filter, but if you can get 'water wise' and 'spring wise', you'd be surprised how little of any of it you actually have to do, sure we all get a lil' shlits now and then....Gotta' be smart out there, tho'. Most diareah (sic) comes from hands after shlitting. Wash 'em before feeding or cooking. You actually give yourself diarea from your own shlit.

Forget toenail clippers, hair brush, tooth paste, deoderant (use salt, kills bacteria that create the stink) and all that crap, you ain't walkin' to no beauty padgett....all that stuff is in town.

For pot washing, I carry a stainless scrub.in a ziplock...I use a small stainless cup, spoon, and bowl....never cracks, melts, burns, cuts, splits, get crushed and last for the entire hike....easy to clean, sanitary....better....or buy the expensive titanium stuff.

Always remember that if you don't use it everyday, don't carry it. Everything you need can be gotten temp like, in towns.

TOW
09-18-2005, 10:26

thanks in advance.#1. i wouldn't carry more than a pint and then ship ahead to the next town your coming into along with any other items you don't wnat to carry...

#2. leave the underwear at home, it's really a personal choice..

#3. i used the sweetwater drops, same stuff i think, and i would use five drops per liter, sometimes less depending on the quality of the water..

#4. no

#5. i usually cooked over a campfire and i never used water except a very few times in the beginning to clean out my pot that also served as my eating bowl, i just threw it into the fire and burned it out........i used a quart stainless steel pot with a handle and lid on it that i purchased from bluff mtn outfitters and that thing lasted almost the three years that i lived out there on the trail...cost? a whopping five bucks...it had a dent on the lid and dan was going to return it, so i bought it......gives you an idea on how much of a markup there is on gear....