PDA

View Full Version : Ouchita Trail

moocow
10-19-2012, 17:31
Any thoughts?

I have one month to have fun between semesters december/january. How difficult is it to resupply? Hitch? Water situation? What's the terrain like? Is there an average pace you did? The trail guide I have had the author averaging 20+ a day. That's not happening with me. I averaged 12-15 on the AT. I'd like to end to end it.

I know what the book says but it was last updated six years ago.

Any help/info would be appreciated.

moocow
10-19-2012, 17:33
Ouachita.

(i forgot to spell check).

BigHodag
10-20-2012, 04:56
Greetings from Arkansas!

The Ouachita Trail starts just 14 miles from downtown Little Rock. Dec/Jan is a very cold time of year for hiking in these parts. You'll need winter gear and you likely won't find many people, if any, along the trail.

The trail follows the ridgeline and water is scarce in the middle section. When crossing roads you are fairly distant from towns and post offices for resupply. If you don't have family / friends to aid your hike, then take advantage of the few outfitters / trail angels.

The best info on water and trail conditions is on the F.O.O.T. site. You might also check the links on my OT Pinterest board.

BigHodag
10-20-2012, 04:57
Dang!

http://pinterest.com/timothyleear/ouachita-trail/

scs
10-26-2012, 03:03
I hiked the westernmost 25 miles or so with a friend this past May. The trail was horribly, horribly overgrown, in some places to the point of disbelief. We were essentially bushwhacking through some sections. That being said, the terrain is not too difficult and the views are phenomenal. We also ran into a bear at Winding Stair Campground, which was a thrill.

As for your questions:

1. The trail passes many roads, and we had no difficulty at all getting a hitch back to our car off the Tailmena Scenic Drive.
2. The water situation can definitely be tricky. Study your trail guide and determine if you need to leave any caches.
3. Like I said before, the terrain is not too difficult, especially compared to the AT. If you're close to being in the same hiking shape, you should at least be able to average the same 12-15 you averaged on the AT if not more.