PDA

View Full Version : UL Cooking

kayak karl
10-20-2012, 15:25
I see some of these UL cook systems being used. such as a Heineken Pot. some say they just boil water with it.
What do you hydrate your food in?? Do you use the can? for example: you want to make a Knorr's noodle side (http://www.knorr.com/product/category/245726/sides). How do YOU go about doing it. ?? (and for the example it's cold out )

TY KK

skinewmexico
10-20-2012, 15:35
I do all my cooking FBC style now, with a cozy.

jeffmeh
10-20-2012, 15:36
Freezer bag in a cozy?

RED-DOG
10-20-2012, 15:37
I use two Heineken pots and a cozy works great.

RED-DOG
10-20-2012, 15:42
Yeah Freezer bags works great with cozyies.

kayak karl
10-20-2012, 15:47
Freezer bag in a cozy?
i think i know what they mean, but more info and less abbreviations would help :)

jeffmeh
10-20-2012, 16:54
Here you go Karl.

http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Quart-Freezer-Bags-54-Count/dp/B003GVGZTU

http://www.trailcooking.com/store/fbc-cozy

Put dry food in freezer bag, boil water in Heineken pot, pour water into freezer bag, stir, put freezer bag in cozy, wait ten minutes or so for food to rehydrate, stir again, eat.

Also, lots of info at the trailcooking site.

kayak karl
10-20-2012, 20:34
i use the caldera cone and one-pot-system. would i really save much weight by having cozy, bags and pot?

now im at 7.4 with fuel container, no fuel.

Hoop
10-20-2012, 20:57
kk,

Does your CC have the caddy witht the reflectix insulation? Mine is a 32 oz food-grade plastic container by Ziploc, which serves as the cozy where I place the freezer bag to with hot water then screw on the lid and let it sit awhile. The Keg has a cozy , and the whole thing is lighter. My CC has a .9 L pot (really more than I need).

jakedatc
10-20-2012, 21:13
You can go with a possibly smaller pot than you have now .7L is nice 4.5oz. you need to keep you food in bags anyway so that is a wash.. my cozy fits a quart size bag at 35g. not having to wash a pot is pretty nice and saves water. saves fuel by not having to simmer.

kayak karl
10-20-2012, 21:15
kk,

Does your CC have the caddy witht the reflectix insulation? Mine is a 32 oz food-grade plastic container by Ziploc, which serves as the cozy where I place the freezer bag to with hot water then screw on the lid and let it sit awhile. The Keg has a cozy , and the whole thing is lighter. My CC has a .9 L pot (really more than I need).

whole setup lighter? i keep trying, but with zip-lok its closer to 9 ozs.

i have the 3 cup system (http://www.antigravitygear.com/caldera-kitchen-for-the-agg-3-cup-pot.html) quoted at 11.3, but i don't carry the ziplok container or cozy.
the .9 pot (similar weight pots) (http://www.antigravitygear.com/caldera-kitchen-for-the-evernew-9l-ti-pot.html) but is quoted at 7.5 oz. i have this one also, but it weights 11.2 ???

kk

Hoop
10-20-2012, 21:38
http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-keg-systems

The F keg shows 6.3 oz., I think.

kayak karl
10-21-2012, 09:31
You can go with a possibly smaller pot than you have now .7L is nice 4.5oz. you need to keep you food in bags anyway so that is a wash.. my cozy fits a quart size bag at 35g. not having to wash a pot is pretty nice and saves water. saves fuel by not having to simmer.
i have never had bags with me. why would i need them? can you buy just a few bags in town? i've seen them in 25-50-100
also 35g thats 6+ oz. for 5 bags.

jakedatc
10-21-2012, 10:50
No, the cozy weighs 35oz. that is reusable for a very long time. what do you carry your food in? I repackage all my dinners into 1qt freezer bags. at a resupply you could split a box of 25 with a few people.. keep some for the next resupply. 1 bag is 6g so even 10 is 2oz..

jeffmeh
10-21-2012, 12:13
No, the cozy weighs 35oz. that is reusable for a very long time. what do you carry your food in? I repackage all my dinners into 1qt freezer bags. at a resupply you could split a box of 25 with a few people.. keep some for the next resupply. 1 bag is 6g so even 10 is 2oz..

35g, I think you mean. :)

jakedatc
10-21-2012, 12:16
yea... that one. Tipi got all excited there was a 35oz cozy he could haul 20days to keep his food warm ;)

coach lou
10-21-2012, 14:53
yea... that one. Tipi got all excited there was a 35oz cozy he could haul 20days to keep his food warm ;)

I knew that! Jakes' entire pack doesn't weigh 35ozs.:rolleyes:

RodentWhisperer
10-21-2012, 18:01
I do all my cooking FBC style now, with a cozy.

+1 on FBC. Lightweight, megasimple, no mess to clean up...

Starchild
10-21-2012, 18:40
35g, I think you mean. :)
A 35 oz cozy would be a sleeping bag

jakedatc
10-21-2012, 19:40
I knew that! Jakes' entire pack doesn't weigh 35ozs.:rolleyes:

my pack empty... correct ;)

i have heard and seen people using jackets and other clothing things to use as a cozy instead... but i don't like risking getting those wet or covered in food.

cmich
10-24-2012, 16:12
I have been toying with a 2 cup fosters pot lately. It packs nicely into the caldera caddy, which is why i prefer it over my BC 700 ml mug which doesn't pack as well. The caddy is what I use to rehydrate my meals in, made a cozy for the bottom section.

Hosaphone
10-24-2012, 23:46
Just fwiw... I have a caldera cone too (bought mine before they came out with the sidewinder or ULC :( ). Packing it has always been a huge pain.

I recently discovered I could save ~2oz by replacing the caddy with a 1L polar seltzer bottle (caddy weighs 3oz total, bottle weighs 1oz). I just cut off the top of the bottle and it's the perfect size. Then you can just roll the cone up and stuff it inside. The alcohol stove fits inside the open end, turn the whole thing upside down and put it in the pot. Lid kinda rests in the pot which helps packability, narrow strip of bandana keeps it from making noise, acts as pot grabber and also for cleaning.

Deacon
10-25-2012, 05:36
Just fwiw... I have a caldera cone too (bought mine before they came out with the sidewinder or ULC :( ). Packing it has always been a huge pain.

I recently discovered I could save ~2oz by replacing the caddy with a 1L polar seltzer bottle (caddy weighs 3oz total, bottle weighs 1oz). I just cut off the top of the bottle and it's the perfect size. Then you can just roll the cone up and stuff it inside. The alcohol stove fits inside the open end, turn the whole thing upside down and put it in the pot. Lid kinda rests in the pot which helps packability, narrow strip of bandana keeps it from making noise, acts as pot grabber and also for cleaning.

Excellent innovation.

OzJacko
10-25-2012, 05:45
Excellent innovation.
Agreed.
I have the TiTri and I'm not confident of durability of the Tyvek sleeve it goes in so I am going to look for a small plastic bottle that fits in pot with ends cut off and use that instead.

zelph
10-25-2012, 16:07
A few years ago I did an experiment during the winter months. I put a package of Ramen noodles in a ziploc, added 2 cups of boiling water and then put that into a brown paper lunch bag. I then put it ouside on the deck for 10 min. Outside temps were below freezing. After 10 min. I brought it back in the house, opened it up and the noodles were well rehydrated and the water temperature was at 180 degrees. For me, that temperature is way too hot to start eating without having to blow on it to cool it down. I created a thread in this forum at the time to share the results. Just a small air space between the ziploc and the paper bag wall was enough to protect it while rehydrating. Recycle your next used tyvek mailer into a cozy.

zelph
11-02-2012, 17:34
Rehydrate in a fosters' pot using wood fuel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsiEA91dtdc

kayak karl
11-02-2012, 17:46
don't the ridges make it hard to clean??
in other post you said put in zip-lock. freezer bag??

grateful 2
11-02-2012, 18:13
I just wrap a 1/2 inch strip of double-sided velcro around the CCone and put it in my pot. (I wouldn't do that in a nonstick pot though.)
Agreed.
I have the TiTri and I'm not confident of durability of the Tyvek sleeve it goes in so I am going to look for a small plastic bottle that fits in pot with ends cut off and use that instead.

HermesUL
11-02-2012, 19:57
A 35 oz cozy would be a sleeping bag

I rather heavy sleeping bag, at that.

I don't use a cozy for my FBC cooking, and haven't had a problem. It'd be easy to start using my sweatshirt or sleeping bag, so I might do that just to help the food stay warm.

nottelling
11-03-2012, 04:58
I cook (boil water actually) in an army canteen cup on an MSR Pocket Rocket. I have used one of these cups since I was a kid and have a belt pouch and a Nalgene Oasis water canteen to suit it. Dedicated eating gear is simply a spoon, a folding cup and a half a plastic Swedish mess kit (very much like a Light My Fire triangular kit, but rectangular).

All of my dehydrated meals are packed in ziplock baggies so I boil water in the canteen cup, then fill to the sharpied line on the ziplock baggie, seal it up and place the bag inside a fleece watch cap for 15 - 20 min then it's ready to eat. Left over water in the metal cup simply goes into the folding cup for cowboy coffee or green tea. This is how I've done it for years because I'm naturally lazy and dislike washing up on the trail.

MuddyWaters
11-03-2012, 08:37
Repackage all the dried food into the freezer bags first, eliminates extra packaging wt and trash you must carry.

My pot, stove, windscreen weighs 2oz.

No need really for a separate cozy. Use another plastic bag (double bag it) if you are scared of leaks, and then jacket, hat , sleeping bag, etc for the cozy. Even use your pack liner to double bag, it can always be washed easily if something bad happens.

With a quality freezer bag Ive never had a leak, and I knead it to mix food up (while holding in bandana)

JAK
11-03-2012, 09:34
I would like a single-walled titanium or aluminum or even stainless cannister with a wide enough sealable lid that you can use it to cook in, eat and drink out of, carry water, and use as hot water bottle also. Why Nalgene didn`t come out with a metal replacement to their ill-fated BPA bottles is beyond me. I suppose they weren`t tooled up for it. Now others have taken over, but still no wide-enough mouthed in a single wall that you can cook with. I would carry two.

turtle fast
11-04-2012, 01:42
JAK you my of thought of the next best and greatest thing....I know of a company that could bring an aluminum version to market.

Deacon
11-04-2012, 07:40
My pot, stove, windscreen weighs 2oz.

2 oz.? I'm going to call you on this one. The name of the pot and stove please. Picture of the system?

If indeed it is 2 oz., that would be well worth sharing.

HermesUL
11-04-2012, 11:10
I'd believe 2 oz, although its slightly less than my cook system.

Here's approximately what I plan to use: http://litetrail.com/shop/cooking/litetrail-titanium-solid-fuel-cook-system

That's 2.8 oz, including stuff sack. I have yet to see a 3 oz system, but there are definitely lighter pots than the one above, so its possible.

cabbagehead
11-04-2012, 17:50
If I cooked messy food (not cabbage), I might use the bag method. A long wool hat would probably work as a cozy. I also like Zelph's idea of using a second outer bag to create an air space, and dry wood (a shelter floor) to create bottom insulation. That way I could wear the hat.

jakedatc
11-04-2012, 18:28
2 oz.? I'm going to call you on this one. The name of the pot and stove please. Picture of the system?

If indeed it is 2 oz., that would be well worth sharing.

my guess.. OH cat stove or esbit stove, Fosters, energy drink, heiniken can pot, tin foil or Ti foil windscreen.

Tinker
11-04-2012, 19:34
The lining in my Foster's pot started to come off in the water I was boiling, so I discontinued its use. The lining is food grade plastic (probably polyethelene and harmless), but once the lining is gone, any salt in the water will cause pitting of the pot. I have a Snow Peak ti cup (750 ml), but I find myself taking my Evernew 1.3 liter ti pot on almost every trip. It allows me to cook an extra large meal if I'm extra hungry, and I can boil water and make coffee for 4 people in it. Can't do that with a smaller vessel. Also, if you like weighing things, I think you'll find as I did that a pot twice as large doesn't weigh twice as much, and that there is usually way too much weight in the lid. Heavy lids (such as the one on my Snow Peak cup) can be replaced with heavy duty foil or a crudely fashioned lid with a lifter button made from an aluminum oven pan, an aluminum screw, and a small cabinet knob or similar item.

oops56
11-04-2012, 20:23
the round clothes pin the top makes good knobs for lids

zelph
11-04-2012, 22:07
don't the ridges make it hard to clean??
in other post you said put in zip-lock. freezer bag??

I rehydrate in two ways. Clear liquid foods in the can (Ramen). Gravy types in a ziploc.

I rinse immediately after contents are consumed. I don't wash, I rinse only. 1/2 cup water, shaken, not stired, with lid on. Sometimes I drink the 1/2 cup depending how soon I'll be jumping in the sac.;)

zelph
11-04-2012, 22:25
I would like a single-walled titanium or aluminum or even stainless cannister with a wide enough sealable lid that you can use it to cook in, eat and drink out of, carry water, and use as hot water bottle also. Why Nalgene didn`t come out with a metal replacement to their ill-fated BPA bottles is beyond me. I suppose they weren`t tooled up for it. Now others have taken over, but still no wide-enough mouthed in a single wall that you can cook with. I would carry two.

JAK, how about one of these. Both can carry water and cook in them. The energy drink one is a little hard to cook in but not impossible.

The stove I'm using is the Fancee Feest. Works really nice for small diameter pots. Works great for large ones also. It has an integrated pot support.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV_F568FlDY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfEg9i2RBZI

Gypsy"04"
11-25-2012, 01:07
UL cooking is very simple. First is an alcohol stove, pepsi can, whatever. The lighter, the better. Next get a one pound coffee can and drill holes around the bottom and top for vents, plus for opposite holes about halfway up for 2 aluminum gutter nails. Next cut the top out of a fosters can and smooth the edges. Put the stove in the bottom, push the nails through the middle and place the can with two cups of water on top of the nails. Place the bottom of a cat=food can on top for a lid. You have a 6 ounce kitchen. Make a cozy out of aluminum windshield cover by cutting a piece to fit double the size of a quart freezer bag plus 3 inches and an inch on the sides. stitch together and put velcro at the top to close it. You now have an entire kitchen that weighs about 6.5 ounces. Put your dehydrated food in a one quart bag, add whatever you want and pour boiling water on top, close the cozy and let it sit for ten minutes. If it's too soupy, add mashed potatoes. I use dehydrated veggies from my garden, and dehydrated hambuger, tuna, whole wheat elbows, hamburger helper, tuna helper, etc. So far, it has worked very well and I always have a good meal at the end of the day.

Gypsy"04"
11-25-2012, 01:12
I forgot a strip of aluminum about 4 inches by 12 inches for a wind shield. It all fits together in a cloth bag about 4 by 6 inches.

LynnMT
11-25-2012, 01:37
How do you deal with he messy freezer bag when you are done eating? How/when do you dispose of them?

CarlZ993
11-25-2012, 12:33
How do you deal with he messy freezer bag when you are done eating? How/when do you dispose of them?

Invert the bag and lick it clean. Invert it again and zip it shut or use it as a trash bag. Dump the bag(s) at next resupply or appropriate trash can. I've used this technique on many occasions in the desert SW. With often minimal water for cleaning, it really helps keep things quick and easy.

q-tip
11-26-2012, 11:40
I am using a Soto Stove + windscreen and an XLS Oilcamp pot. The pot saves 40% of the fuel, boils .5 L in 2:00 min. These come to about 10.2 oz. A little heavy but quick....