PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil Cooking System???

crazydave1234
10-20-2012, 22:29
Has anyone had the Jetboil Flash cooking system? Is it a good stove system to take on the AT? Can you get the fuel easily on the trail? I like the all in one system with the insulated mug and the REI reviews are good - but what do thru-hikers think about this system. Please share your thoughts about this item. Thank you for your time and consideration.
David & Erin

Theosus
10-20-2012, 23:12
Ive seen a few used, and they look nice. I have a similar cooking system: a titanium mug and a gigapower stove. Same type of fuel, but the jetboil people seem to have taken a lot of care with their fuel efficiency and wind protection, its all designed into the base of the cup. Im sure the thru hikers will give you plenty of opinions... including using alcohol stoves based on cat-food or tuna cans that are so much cheaper and lighter. Ive used both, and frankly on any trip longer than a few days I would probably take my canister stove. Sure, there are more things that could go wrong, but i can vary the flame, and don't have to worry about a leaky fuel bottle, and with the right tweaks I can brown rolls in my mug. Ive used my cat stove several times, and it's not very user friendly, I am always burning something; food, me, the ground under the stove...
Its my understanding that a couple of canisters will take you far enough to get another couple of canisters, but others will have to give you that info.

Karma13
10-21-2012, 04:49
I'm planning on taking a JetBoil Sol Ti on my thru attempt next year. It's worked great for shorter trips, and the new model's quite lightweight. (Not ultralight, and not as light as an alcohol stove, obviously, but I want to stick with something familiar and easy for at least the first leg of the hike.) I've got both a Flash and the Sol Ti. I wouldn't take the Flash on the thru. The Sol Ti, though, is much smaller and lighter. The only disadvantage I've found so far is that the pot 'handle' is kind of flimsy on the Sol Ti and I'm not planning to trust it.

I'll probably try to stick mostly to one canister and assume I might be stuck with a cold dinner or two if I run out.

Note: I don't cook a lot, so your mileage may vary. I'll probably only do one boil a day--maybe two on some days, if it's cold.

Starchild
10-21-2012, 07:12
I see you are 2 hikers, so the flash would be a good choice because it gives you a larger pot. Your weight per person will rival the lightest alcohol stove setup when all needed pieces are included for one person.

Another thread said that obtaining canisters are not a problem, I would guess that the small ones however may be and you may be stuck with the larger one.

Country Roads
10-21-2012, 16:25
I have the Jetboil SOL in aluminum. I think with the limited cooking a lot of thrus do, a 100 gram canister would last 8 to 12 days (boiling 1 liter per day would be about 12 days, by the jetboil website). Other canister will work, they just are not as compact and will probably not fit inside the pot. I often use an MSR canister for overnighters. The canisters you can buy at Wally World will work, the gigapower canisters will work to. Having water boiling for my dinner in under 3 minutes is nice! That said, I usually use my home made Esbit set up. Unless it is very cold and I have to use 30 something degree water, It is pretty darn fast for an Esbit set up.

speedbump
10-21-2012, 17:32
Have it , love it !

Has anyone had the Jetboil Flash cooking system? Is it a good stove system to take on the AT? Can you get the fuel easily on the trail? I like the all in one system with the insulated mug and the REI reviews are good - but what do thru-hikers think about this system. Please share your thoughts about this item. Thank you for your time and consideration.
David & Erin

Astro
10-22-2012, 05:58
Have it , love it !
I love my Jetboil Flash also

Train Wreck
10-22-2012, 07:58
I have the Sol Ti and love it for the simplicity of set up and fast boil time. The design pretty much eliminates worrying with a windscreen, which is nice also! My husband and I used a Whisper Lite for many years with relatively few problems, but it's probably going to be retired at this point.
The only negative thing I have to say is the insulating neoprene pot cover has a sort of flimsy handle and I don't trust it 100%. Use a cozy or something to pick up the pot and there's no problem.

barf_jay
10-22-2012, 08:17
I used a JetBoil stove for a couple of year, but then started to compare weights, and decided to trim it down. I am now using a small 20 oz titanium cookpot, with a MSR pocket rocket and canister on longer hikes (> 4 days). On shorter hikes, I use a pepsi can stove and denatured alchohol. Both options are lighter and much cheaper option!

HikerMom58
10-22-2012, 08:37
Not a thru-hiker but I love the jetboil flash.

Starchild
10-22-2012, 09:34
I have the Sol Ti...
The only negative thing I have to say is the insulating neoprene pot cover has a sort of flimsy handle and I don't trust it 100%. Use a cozy or something to pick up the pot and there's no problem.

Re Sol Ti: I don't trust that handle either but I don't have to trust it. It is just as easy to grip the pot around the neoprene 'cosy' that comes with it or sometimes I will pick it up by the canister.

Train Wreck
10-22-2012, 09:41
Re Sol Ti: I don't trust that handle either but I don't have to trust it. It is just as easy to grip the pot around the neoprene 'cosy' that comes with it or sometimes I will pick it up by the canister.

Even my neoprene cozy tends to slide up noticeably when I pick up a full pot of water. Not sure if it's just that mine is a little too loose to begin with, or they're all like that.

bamboo bob
10-22-2012, 09:42
I've used jetboil for years. I get 30 days on a small canister and they are readily available on the AT

Train Wreck
10-22-2012, 09:45
I've used jetboil for years. I get 30 days on a small canister and they are readily available on the AT

30 days???
wow.

bamboo bob
10-22-2012, 09:50
30 days???
wow.

Just one meal a day and just boil water. Also most newbies don't appreciate how much off trail food you get on the AT in towns and trail magic. I wouldn't plan on trail magic but you can err on the low side for packing food on the AT. The AT is not a trail that you need a lot of "just in case" supplies.

colorado_rob
10-22-2012, 09:56
Regarding the Flash vs. the Sol Ti: the Sol Ti version is ~7 ounces lighter, and I believe slightly more efficient because of a fancy/schmancy fuel flow regulator, so I recommend this unit over the flash.

My wife and I find the Sol Ti capacity, just about 3.5 cups per boil, to be just enough for the two of us to both have a hot drink each per heat (we usually don't let it get quite to a boil for our coffee/tea/cocoa), or to both cook our freeze dried dinners from one boil. So basically what I'm saying is the 0.9 liter capacity SolTi model is perfect for two. Yes, you have to fill it quite full, about 1/4" from the top for two. No sweat doing this though.

Yes, the cozy handle is ridiculously flimsy, we don't use it, we just grab the cozy itself and pour. I keep meaning to just cut the handle off.

We get approx. 20 full (filled to near the brim, about 3.5 cups) heats/boils from one small canister, so I do believe you could get 30 days of 2-cup per day hot water from a small canister. Basically, this little unit is really efficient. I think it's the lightest overall option available when you include fuel weight for those of us who use a lot of hot water per day and don't want to resupply every 3-4 days.

Train Wreck
10-22-2012, 09:57
Did you factor in the town food in your 30-day estimate, or are you talking about 30 actual usage days? Not trying to start an argument, just want some clarification - it will come in handy estimating for future trips.

mikec
10-22-2012, 10:04
I've used the original jetboil for section hikes for about 5 years now. A small canister usually lasts about 10-12 days. (boiling water twice a day for freeze dried meals and coffee in the morning. The larger canister lasts about 20-25 days. The 'squished' larger cannister lasts somewhere in between.

Train Wreck
10-22-2012, 10:29
I've used the original jetboil for section hikes for about 5 years now. A small canister usually lasts about 10-12 days. (boiling water twice a day for freeze dried meals and coffee in the morning. The larger canister lasts about 20-25 days. The 'squished' larger cannister lasts somewhere in between.

That sounds more like my experience, since we usually heat water twice a day. I've had mine for a little while and I'm still amazed at how fast you can bring the water to a boil. It seems so much more efficient than the Whisper Lite we formerly used.

RCBear
10-22-2012, 11:38
i am deciding between the jetboil flash and the msr pocket rocket. I like the all in one system of the jet boil (and let's be honest, it is cool looking) :p, but i am curious if people also use it or if it allows use with other cookware such as snowpeak, etc or does it's unique base make that difficult. i figure the cost and weight between the two is a wash since you will need some level of cookware with the msr.

also, i have read/heard that the msr has a controllable flame, whereas the jetboil is full on all the time? was thinking maybe get both and field test and put the one i like least in my brother Christmas stocking :0

thanks for the help.

colorado_rob
10-22-2012, 12:58
i am deciding between the jetboil flash and the msr pocket rocket. I like the all in one system of the jet boil (and let's be honest, it is cool looking) :p, but i am curious if people also use it or if it allows use with other cookware such as snowpeak, etc or does it's unique base make that difficult. i figure the cost and weight between the two is a wash since you will need some level of cookware with the msr.

also, i have read/heard that the msr has a controllable flame, whereas the jetboil is full on all the time? was thinking maybe get both and field test and put the one i like least in my brother Christmas stocking :0

thanks for the help. The Jetboil flame is definitely controllable, and I find it is more efficient (though slower, of course) to use it on "medium", basically just turned down a tad off of full throttle.

If you run some tests, you will find the Jetboil to be considerably more efficient on fuel than the pocket rocket. I used to use the pocket rocket all the time. Yes, it is lighter for the stove w/ pot, but the fuel savings of the Jetboil more than makes up for this. If you resupply every 3-4 days, though, the pocket rocket system weight would be a wash with the Jetboil Sol Ti.

RCBear
10-22-2012, 14:47
The Jetboil flame is definitely controllable, and I find it is more efficient (though slower, of course) to use it on "medium", basically just turned down a tad off of full throttle.

If you run some tests, you will find the Jetboil to be considerably more efficient on fuel than the pocket rocket. I used to use the pocket rocket all the time. Yes, it is lighter for the stove w/ pot, but the fuel savings of the Jetboil more than makes up for this. If you resupply every 3-4 days, though, the pocket rocket system weight would be a wash with the Jetboil Sol Ti.

Thanks CR. most of my outings will be in that range, though i will be doing a 9 days no resupply next sept in ME with a partner. Not sure that a controllable flame is critical though since it's main intent is to boil water however, but the fact that the JB is able to as well is only a plus. at the price point, it probably is worth buying the msr first and if i don't find it fits my needs then i haven't outlaid much and i have either a backup or a loaner.

colorado_rob
10-22-2012, 16:00
Thanks CR. most of my outings will be in that range, though i will be doing a 9 days no resupply next sept in ME with a partner. Not sure that a controllable flame is critical though since it's main intent is to boil water however, but the fact that the JB is able to as well is only a plus. at the price point, it probably is worth buying the msr first and if i don't find it fits my needs then i haven't outlaid much and i have either a backup or a loaner. I think the little pocket-rocket will do you just dandy, as it did for me for many years, and for 3-4 day resupplies, you will actually be slightly lighter (as long as you don't carry that silly little 1.5 ounce red case that comes with the PR).

bamboo bob
10-22-2012, 18:00
Did you factor in the town food in your 30-day estimate, or are you talking about 30 actual usage days? Not trying to start an argument, just want some clarification - it will come in handy estimating for future trips.

I would say 30 meals is a better way to talk about it. Or 30 water boils. Forget the days. I but the Lipton or Ramen in the water first so it hydrates immediately. Boil water. When in boils SHUT OFF the heat. Let the food sit for a few minutes depending on what the package says and eat. That system uses very minimal fuel and for me it's once a day.
Coffee in the AM and hot lunch etc. You do the math. No wasted fuel. I hate liquid fuel. For me it's messy and gets spilled and the canisters are easy to find and I can sometime skip a town on the AT if I feel like it.

colorado_rob
10-22-2012, 18:13
... I hate liquid fuel. For me it's messy and gets spilled and the canisters are easy to find and I can sometime skip a town on the AT if I feel like it. I 100% agree, but I don't think any sort of a liquid fuel stove was ever "on the table" here in this discussion. The pocket rocket is a canister stove, very simple, three ounces.

crazydave1234
10-23-2012, 14:45
Erin and I thank y'all for your thoughtful responses to the inquiry about the cooking system and we are going to pick one up for the trail. It is help like this that is going to make getting prepared for our hike so much less stressfull and more likely to succeed. Thanks again for your time, advice and help in this matter.

David & Erin

colorado_rob
10-23-2012, 14:47
Dave, I think you're crazy. See you on the trail!
Rob

Creek Dancer
10-23-2012, 16:01
hmmm.... I will have to look into the JetBoil for my JMT hike if I can get by with just one canister for the whole trip. Currently I use alcohol for short trips and MSR pocket rocket for longer trips.

Rozzy
10-23-2012, 16:23
What about the Jetboil Zip? It's only 11.75 oz vs the Sol Ti at 9.9 oz and it's half the price? That seems like a good deal or am I missing something? I'm a totally rookie at this, so that might be the case.

colorado_rob
10-23-2012, 16:48
What about the Jetboil Zip? It's only 11.75 oz vs the Sol Ti at 9.9 oz and it's half the price? That seems like a good deal or am I missing something? I'm a totally rookie at this, so that might be the case. Yeah, that zip looks like a great deal actually. the reason I prefer the Sol is the cold weather performance being better (the fancy fuel regulator thing).

T-Rx
10-23-2012, 17:01
I have used a pocket rocket for several years now and love it. Simple, adjustable flame, lightweight and fuel is easy to find. I carry a windscreen made from heavy duty aluminum foil. This is what I plan to use on my thru attempt.

Starchild
10-23-2012, 17:29
What about the Jetboil Zip? It's only 11.75 oz vs the Sol Ti at 9.9 oz and it's half the price? That seems like a good deal or am I missing something? I'm a totally rookie at this, so that might be the case.
The Jetboil Sol Ti is 8.6 oz 'as packed' and close to the 8.5 oz stated on the Jetboil web site, not 9.9 oz.

Using that same web site the Zip 'as packed' weight is 12 oz so 3.5 oz heavier and the Zip does not come with a autoignition so a way to light it has to be packed in so perhaps add 1 additional oz. Also there is a lot to be said of the autoignition convenience. The Zip also has a more primitive regulator which may or may not be a problem in cold conditions and low pressure situations.

There is a slightly longer boil time with the Zip which I assume is due to the regulator difference and boil times get longer as you near the end of canister life, but really we are talking about a ave of 15 seconds, perhaps it would be 0 at the beginning and 30 seconds longer towards the end of the canister which is pretty insignificant. I suspect this time difference tends to go away if you don't plan to use up the canisters (replace them before you use up all the fuel).

All in all not much of a difference and it saves about 1/2 the money, but then again there still is a difference. You need to decide what your price point is.

Also compare the Sol to Sol Ti, I went with the Ti model and glad I did, but the standard Sol (Aluminum) gets great reviews - the ones I saw were higher then the Ti model, may actually cook better as Al is a better heat transfer medium then Titanium and will save you a few bucks over the Ti model.

Additionally it appears that the Sol (Al) can be upgraded to the exact thing as the Sol Ti by buying the Sol Ti pot, the Zip can use that pot but the regulator is different so will never really be a Sol Ti.

ATMountainTime
10-23-2012, 19:35
I have one as well. I do like it alot, but it REALLY does jet boil. Dont turn your back or its boiled your coffee over onto the ground :) Im going to try a Starbucks pack for coffee.

shelb
10-24-2012, 00:52
Love the Jet Boil!

crazydave1234
10-24-2012, 20:24
Dave, I think you're crazy. See you on the trail!
Rob

Sure hope so Rob! Katahdin! Here we come!!

David & Erin