PDA

View Full Version : Privy ?????

Virginia Archer
10-21-2012, 07:49
We'll since getting back into hiking. I took my wife for a Wonderful day hike yesterday. I we passed a Few shelters and I figured I'd use the privy at one! WOW, I know Thru hikers eat alot of different stuff but damn!!! I have never put my nose thru that kinda torcher before!!

Well my main question is : What is the Mailbox beside the bowl for? I was falling out of that thing gasping for air and never looked in it. so what is it for?

Sugarfoot
10-21-2012, 08:03
A well-designed and well-maintained privy doesn't have much more of an odor than an indoor bathroom. That being said, few are well-designed and few are well-maintained. The mailbox, or sometimes a large coffee can, are intended for toilet paper, to keep the mice from nibbling it for bedding. Neither works very well since the mailbox doors and coffee can lids are seldom closed tightly. It just makes for a mess. Bring your own TP. There is a whole science to backcountry sanitation. And at times like this, I'm glad not to be a scientist. Be brave and try another one. I got to inaugurate one in Maine back in 2001 and it was spotless and smelled of freshly cut lumber.

DrRichardCranium
10-21-2012, 08:12
And if you run low on toilet paper, just grab a handful of the religious tracts.

Sarcasm the elf
10-21-2012, 09:10
A well-designed and well-maintained privy doesn't have much more of an odor than an indoor bathroom. That being said, few are well-designed and few are well-maintained.

+1 that just about sums it up. I try not to complain about privies as they are mostly maintained by volunteers, and I say bless them for doing it at all!

There are only a handful of privies that I've seen which weren't nasty. There is a new design at a few sites in Connecticut where the privy had walls that allow for privacy, but don't fully enclose the top and bottom of the "seating area" sort of like an indoor bathroom stall. In my experience this design is the cleanest and least smelly. If more privies were built like this, then I might start using them again.

Marta
10-21-2012, 09:18
A well-designed and well-maintained privy doesn't have much more of an odor than an indoor bathroom. That being said, few are well-designed and few are well-maintained.

+1 that just about sums it up. I try not to complain about privies as they are mostly maintained by volunteers, and I say bless them for doing it at all!

There are only a handful of privies that I've seen which weren't nasty. There is a new design at a few sites in Connecticut where the privy had walls that allow for privacy, but don't fully enclose the top and bottom of the "seating area" sort of like an indoor bathroom stall. In my experience this design is the cleanest and least smelly. If more privies were built like this, then I might start using them again.

The no-roof thing is not so great when it's raining or snowing, though. I think the reason for the lack of roof is that the roofless privies don't have to be equipped with ramps and other features that would make them handicapped-accessible.

The privies we saw in Finland were nicer than most indoor bathrooms I've seen. Designed for proper airflow. Beautifully constructed and painted. Peat moss provided for adding. The women's sides even had chutes for disposing of sanitary products.

Of course the "very primitive" huts were so nice I could happily live in one indefinitely.

Monkeywrench
10-21-2012, 09:28
There is a new design at a few sites in Connecticut where the privy had walls that allow for privacy, but don't fully enclose the top and bottom of the "seating area" sort of like an indoor bathroom stall. In my experience this design is the cleanest and least smelly. If more privies were built like this, then I might start using them again.

It's kind of funny to see the sign asking to keep the door closed "to keep animals out" when there is that big gap between the wall and the floor.

Sarcasm the elf
10-21-2012, 09:41
It's kind of funny to see the sign asking to keep the door closed "to keep animals out" when there is that big gap between the wall and the floor.

It's Connecticut, we seem to have some sort of unhealthy obsession with trail signage. :D

Thirsty DPD
10-21-2012, 09:49
The bigger question; Did it smell like that when they ate it?

WingedMonkey
10-21-2012, 10:51
WOW, I know Thru hikers eat alot of different stuff but damn!!! I have never put my nose thru that kinda torcher before!!

You must have studied it very close to tell it was thru-hiker's shizz.

Old Hiker
10-21-2012, 11:09
My favorite was where someone had tacked up the cocoa mix envelope stating: "Making warm chocolate memories". Can't remember where, but I laughed for a long time.

Anytime there was a privy, I used it. Thanks to ALL the volunteers for maintaining them. Had a great discussion with a group of volunteers (again, not sure where) about how they are maintained, changed out, materials thrown in, etc. as they were switching the sides on one.

Pedaling Fool
10-21-2012, 11:17
I've decided that privies are just too nasty for me to use. Next time you're in there, take a real close look at the seat; thank you very much, but I'll just crap in a dirt hole.

Blissful
10-21-2012, 14:47
If you notice, mouldering privies have almost zero odor and encourage urination in them. Its the pit privies that stink because hikers pee in them and they have too much moisture, hence odor while decaying.

The Cleaner
10-22-2012, 07:10
FYI I was out over the weekend and met a work crew from the CMC.Next weekend they and the USFS are to build a new privy at Jerry's Cabin shelter......

Starchild
10-22-2012, 08:21
Some have buckets of leaves/dirt/mulch and users of the privi, I think for going # 2 only, are encouraged to throw some of that down after their use. It helps breakdown the waste faster/better.

Tennessee Viking
10-22-2012, 10:15
A good privy would be one that can be moved along a line of a handful of holes and vent tubes. Hikers just using a handful of leaves can help to cover their waste can help decompose waste faster.

atmilkman
10-22-2012, 10:50
No walls, no roof, no smell, unless you stick your head right down in it. Uh, it's not that private though.17845

The Cleaner
10-22-2012, 10:51
The privy at Little Laurel shelter has been recently moved and is on a wood frame which allows it to be moved as needed....

Odd Man Out
10-22-2012, 10:59
If you notice, mouldering privies have almost zero odor and encourage urination in them. Its the pit privies that stink because hikers pee in them and they have too much moisture, hence odor while decaying.

Yes, this is how composting toilets work. Separate the solid and liquid waste. Also aeration is helpful. It's when things go anaerobic that the stink happens. Unfortunately, this is more difficult in a pit privy.

JenHikes
10-22-2012, 11:08
Yeah, it probably did ;)

Bearleg
10-22-2012, 12:09
I eat MRE's that way i do not have to use the privy for at least a week, by then i am done with my section hike.

88BlueGT
10-24-2012, 10:30
Never used one... never plan too.

Another Kevin
10-24-2012, 20:38
Doesn't the one at Hexacuba have a sign asking you to keep the P out of the rivy? (It's wet poo that makes the stink.)