PDA

View Full Version : Nj&ny

woodsman
10-21-2012, 12:12
Is mid November getting too late for NY and NJ as far as cold wet weather?

Blissful
10-21-2012, 14:42
Well you can definitely get cold. As to precip, I have seen snow in Nov. Best bet is to check the long range forecast and be prepared.

hikerboy57
10-21-2012, 14:48
who knows?, last year was so mild the whole winter we didnt think winter ever came.i hiked all winter last year.typically youll see temps in the upper 30s/lo 40s that time of year, generaly not rainy or wet in November, but then again, its weather.

Starchild
10-22-2012, 08:06
Typically you won't expect winter conditions then. It may get cold some days but it is rare to be traveling on snowpack. Winter typically shows up anytime after the first week of Dec, then takes a vacation for a week in January, comes back for the main stay till Spring arrives.

Last 2 years were different as I think winter skipped us all together last year, and the year before didn't take his January brake and also brought his extended family over.

88BlueGT
10-23-2012, 18:33
Exactly. Last year was an extremely mild winter and probably could have been hiked through the season (even though I did not). Then again, sometimes it just depends on the day. I was out the last three weekends and wasn't too bad. No shelters here, all stealth spots and one was on a side of a mountain and yes, it got pretty darn cold with high MPH wind gusts. IT IS that season, just be prepared and you should be okay.

Leanthree
10-23-2012, 18:59
unlikely to get any real snow but it could be 35 degrees and raining. It could also be 55 with blue skies.

Check the forecast, bring warm sleeping bag and jacket, and you can always bail out at lots of different towns along the way if things get too hairy.

Tinker
10-24-2012, 00:23
Is mid November getting too late for NY and NJ as far as cold wet weather?

Nope. It's the perfect time for cold, wet weather. :D

Give me 20 degrees and snow over 33 degrees and rain anyday!

88BlueGT
10-24-2012, 10:14
^^ +143875983405

Cookerhiker
10-27-2012, 16:09
I hiked the 45 miles of AT east of the Hudson in November of '05 and found that progress was impeded by the freshly-fallen oak leaves - very slippery when dry (not wet) such that normally routine downslopes were practically butt-sliders.

As to weather, we had light snow one evening but no accumulation. Temps weren't winterlike cold but I'd take a bag rated down at least to 30.

Remember in mid-November, you're barely a month from the solstice = much less daylight.

Highway Man
10-27-2012, 19:02
I backpacked two nights from DWG northward in late November of last year. The temperature was below freezing point in the mornings. I had a 20F down bag, and chose to wear long base layer, plus stuffed my down sweater inside the bag while sleeping. Other than that, the weather seemed fine, not much chances of rain or snow.