PDA

View Full Version : No turning back

sharper8
10-21-2012, 13:05
Was there a point in your trip where you thought you couldnt make it? Where were you at and what got you through it?

Karma13
10-21-2012, 13:25
It was last Thursday. I was sitting in my computer chair, and I thought, "Oh my god, what the hell are you doing?" Then I thought about how much money I've spent on gear, and it was enough to see me through the dark time.

You probably didn't mean that, though! :D

Blissful
10-21-2012, 14:40
Smokies, 2 weeks into the hike. A great hiker friend talked me out of quitting. Didnt happen again until Maine. Then hubby told me to finish.

Old Hiker
10-21-2012, 17:49
Was there a point in your trip where you thought you couldnt make it? Where were you at and what got you through it?

200 meters past Thomas Knob shelter. Shoto looked at my ankle, looked me in the eye and said, "You're done." That and the fact my ankle was as large as my calf kinda gave an indication.

6 wheel drive Gator vehicle got me through it, or rather, down to the Galax ER.

2016 - 1225 days to go. <sigh>

Grampie
10-23-2012, 14:54
Walking under the arch at the enterest to Damaskas.

Datto
10-27-2012, 02:44
At no point did I think I wouldn't make it to complete my AT thru-hike.

If fact, a few months prior to starting my AT thru-hike, I was hiking with a guy from Central Soya on a group hike that had turned out to be just he and I doing the hike because the weather had turned bad for that weekend. He and I did the hike anyhow and along the way he said he'd heard I was going to Georgia to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. I told him yeah, I was going there in April. He'd asked me what I'd thought my chances were of completing a thru-hike. I told him 100%. He started chuckling and said to me, "No really, what do you think your chances are?"

I told him 100%.

I don't know if he'd thought I was crazy or had gotten just too plain a luck of a positive attitude.

Datto

Red Hat
10-27-2012, 10:35
so many times, but I am old. One major time was in NY in the heat of July, then a hard rain, crying I hitched a ride to town. Spent a couple of days in a Holiday Inn. Talked to a hiker friend who told me "you are hiking for the old ladies everywhere..." I hiked on...